Topic: Starfleet Command : Commmunity Edition HAS GONE GOLD!!!!  (Read 66597 times)

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
Re: Starfleet Command : Commmunity Edition HAS GONE GOLD!!!!
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »
If you really find yourself missing the SFB experience in SFC, set the game speed to "1". And make sure to pause every 5 minutes to check on something in the rulebooks.

No nostalgia is worth this ^^^ level of pain. :laugh:

Besides, you forgot to add "roll 2d6 periodically". It will help with setting that "authentic" feel.

The Czar

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »
That's the kicker.

EoJ pointed out that a single battle could take 5 hours - I'm assuming it was in reference to any two ships captained by two experienced yet still novice players on opposite sides. Also could be small fleet engagement by two veteran players.

EoJ did not, however, mention that a single turn could take 5 hours (keeping in mind that one SFB turn was ~1 minute of "real time") provided the conditions were right - I want to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 ships on the board with 2-4 players, at least 1 novice.

Nor did EoJ mention that a single impulse (1/32 of 1 turn; ~2 seconds of SFB "realtime") under the right circumstances could take up to 5 hours to conclude - this would be some kind of large fleet (10ish ships per fleet, 2-3 fleets) engagement with many players (somewhere around 4 players per fleet), a crap load of drones/plasma on the board, fighters, shuttles, PFs, etc... The kind of engagement where at least one non-playing person sits back and plays judge just to help the game keep going forward...

Yeah, it was a blast.

And for the love of Pete, NEVER sneeze towards the board...

The Czar

P.S. You say back in the day as if it was some long forgotten time... Was only a decade ago or so when I stopped playing SFB in earnest... That's only like yesterday, really...
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2013, 05:30:48 pm »

And for the love of Pete, NEVER sneeze towards the board...

LMAO, for sure!

We (my very small playgroup) never did a 10-per side battle, but we had several 3-4 per side that we played across several nights, at about 2 1/2 hours per night. Ground bases on a moon around a ringed gas giant, a baker's dozen worth of PFs, plus fighters. Frigates diving through the rings, marine assaults, escape pods to be rescued.... craazzzzyyyy. However, there was plenty of time between impulses for the Captain to have his Jack & coke replenished by the yoeman. ;)

As far as 2d6 go, while I do miss the clack of rolling them, the feeling of rolling a 6 when you need a 1 to 5 is equally matched in SFC when you watch your 4 photons fired at range 3 still go sailing past your target and disappear into the distance.

(I actually did a few timelapse video recordings on afew battles, geek that I am)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »
Great to hear.Where do you dl it from?

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2013, 01:43:58 pm »
We're dealing with some staffing issues, as well as in the middle of the hardware refresh AND some russian groups have apparently decided to target D.Net for spam / advert attacks. If you've downloaded a older ISO of SFC:CE and are waiting for a new download, please email admin@xenocorp.net with the following:

D.Net Account name
Shop Purchase # / copy of sale notification from shop
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.