Topic: Star trek first contact  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Star trek first contact
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »
During the first contact with the Vulcan, was the Enterprise E present was part of histories or did the time stream was change?

M having trouble on how to ask that question today, my mind is tired  :crazy2:

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: Star trek first contact
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:18 pm »
It was there but had no profound historical event of that time.the Vulcan's didn't even detect the Enterprise E.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »
Some out there, not myself, say that the teimstream changed after the First Contact movie, and that that change explains some of the "differences" apparent in "Enterprise." I disagree, but it's an interesting idea.

IMHO, having just watched DS9 "Trial and Tribble-ations" last night, I view First Contact the same way. In TOS (2268 or 1968) you see the events play out; after (2372 or 1996) you see some other people in the events but since they don't (negatively) impact the timeline, it's the same events.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:02 am »
In the movie they made no reference at all to any knowledge of historically known attack on the Phoenix site .  If there had been such an attack they would have used their historical records to help them stay within the limits of what was known to happen, they did not.  Since the movie includes that attack and successive events I consider it to be the birth of an alternate timeline (Enterprise does refer to that attack and is therefore in the alternate time line).
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:12:36 am »
See what I mean?  :D

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:46 pm »
Some out there, not myself, say that the teimstream changed after the First Contact movie, and that that change explains some of the "differences" apparent in "Enterprise." I disagree, but it's an interesting idea.

IMHO, having just watched DS9 "Trial and Tribble-ations" last night, I view First Contact the same way. In TOS (2268 or 1968) you see the events play out; after (2372 or 1996) you see some other people in the events but since they don't (negatively) impact the timeline, it's the same events.

I notice that the panel in the original frame is more to the left, in the DS9 episode is more to the right so we can see Dax and Captain Sisco.

Yea that would have change historical event if the attack happen. In a way its weird that the future fix the past to restore the time line.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »
"In the movie they made no reference at all to any knowledge of historically known attack on the Phoenix site ."

Nor would they have, they know better than to tell Cochrane, "Hey be sure to include this attack and our involvement in your memoirs."

Even letting it get written down as an attack by the Coalition as Lily originally thought would've been a bad idea as some history buff would've at some point in the future started digging into the details of the attack. The crew was smart enough to know that covering it up was the best option.

Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:32:00 am »
The Enterprise crew would have removed evidence of the attack.  And although Cochrane did mention the borg, noone believed him because he was a drunk.

Now to go for something off topic, one area where I think Enterprise dropped the ball was that I would have liked to see Sisko make an appearance.  In the DS9 finale, he stated that his lifespan was non-linear, and that he might show up again at any point in the timeline.  As a prequel series set 200 years earlier, Enterprise would have been an excellent opportunity for him to make an appearance.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:21 pm »

Nor would they have, they know better than to tell Cochrane, "Hey be sure to include this attack and our involvement in your memoirs."

Even letting it get written down as an attack by the Coalition as Lily originally thought would've been a bad idea as some history buff would've at some point in the future started digging into the details of the attack. The crew was smart enough to know that covering it up was the best option.

The Enterprise crew didn't mention it among themselves before beaming down or at any other time.  They also would have needed to convince more than Cochrane and Lily as there was a whole community on the project.  If your family members or friends had died in the attack would you have just allowed Cochrane and Lily to sweep their lives away and tell the world nothing about the attack?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »
The Enterprise crew didn't mention it among themselves before beaming down or at any other time.

They wouldn't have mentioned it because if they covered it up in the past it wouldn't be in the historical record thus their future selves wouldn't know about it happening in the past before experiencing it in the future as the computers wouldn't show it even after it happened.

They also would only need to convince the historically key people of the importance of covering it up. Those people are the ones who write the "official" history, everyone else doesn't even rate a footnote and anything they say gets trumped by the "true" events leading up to first contact as related in this case by the great Dr. Zephram Cochran.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."