Favorite SFC time period?

2265-2270 (extened "Early Era"
10 (62.5%)
2271-2279  (Diet-coke of cheese era)
4 (25%)
2280 - 2300 (Full-Retard Cheese era)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Topic: Favorite SFC time period  (Read 30204 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Favorite SFC time period
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:35 am »
Just thinking of the good old days of killing Hexx. 

Anywhoo, what was your favorite D2 time-period?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Favorite SFC time period
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:10:30 pm »
Hard to say, I like mid because I love flying the F-DDL+.  But I also love the ultimate evolutions of the command variants in the late era.  Although, I can't say I like alot of the super cheese that comes with it, although I prefer those ships to adv.  I really can't stand early era because the ships are castrated.  The only reason to fly them is to get better at power management so you can be deadly when you fly something with juice.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:40:04 pm »
Early.  The ships still have flaws and weaknesses.   Before all the customizations designed to make "God Ships". 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »
I like all the eras all depends on which ship you have only thing I don't like is all the big iron.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »
Early.  The ships still have flaws and weaknesses.   Before all the customizations designed to make "God Ships".

You're not a fed, and you have a background in SFB.  What I hate about the early era is that the lack of power causes feds to have a hard time handling plasma.  In SFB its balanced by the fact that the only plasma armed enemies that the feds have to face are roms flying old series ships which can only make speed 31 if they go to condition green and don't flush the toilets.  In SFC you might end up facing Gorns a non-traditional enemy or early era ISC which I believe is a Taldren creation.  I've found that unless I have a wing I can trust, I have to switch races for early era GSA/Gameranger matches.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:19:43 pm »
Why wasn't that balanced out properly then giving the FCA-36 Warp Power and mid era 38 for all refitted?I often wondered this.Why can't it be done to day?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:30:31 pm »

You're not a fed, and you have a background in SFB.  What I hate about the early era is that the lack of power causes feds to have a hard time handling plasma.  In SFB its balanced by the fact that the only plasma armed enemies that the feds have to face are roms flying old series ships which can only make speed 31 if they go to condition green and don't flush the toilets.  In SFC you might end up facing Gorns a non-traditional enemy or early era ISC which I believe is a Taldren creation.  I've found that unless I have a wing I can trust, I have to switch races for early era GSA/Gameranger matches.

When I play Fed I still prefer early. 

The ISC is the whole "God Ships" from the beginning of their design concept and I dislike them a great deal. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:10:56 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »
The original core SFB races all had defects.  The later races avoided those defects and in some cases were designed to capitalize on them (Hellbore, ESG, PhG).   Those defects made the game fun.  Learning to handle your opponents in spite of your defects made it a challenge.  X-Ships are boring. 

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 10:28:27 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:10:49 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 10:06:50 am »
Why wasn't that balanced out properly then giving the FCA-36 Warp Power and mid era 38 for all refitted?I often wondered this.Why can't it be done to day?

That would probably make them more powerful against their traditional enemies which would screw up game balance also.

The original core SFB races all had defects.  The later races avoided those defects and in some cases were designed to capitalize on them (Hellbore, ESG, PhG).   Those defects made the game fun.  Learning to handle your opponents in spite of your defects made it a challenge.  X-Ships are boring.

And if SFC didn't force you to deal with non-traditional enemies, I'd agree with you.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:03:51 am by knightstorm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:05:43 pm »
Take out the ISC and X-Ships.  No one else is a serious issue.

ISC ships can't be used as designed due to the lack of ability to run an echelon.

Even as is I can compete with any race while flying almost any race (Gorn and ISC tubs don't match my style).   

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 07:22:19 pm »

That would probably make them more powerful against their traditional enemies which would screw up game balance also.

I guess their traditional enemies would be Klingons,Romulans and sometimes Gorn this being canon.They are still some what under powered.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »
What other CAs of that time have that much power?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 05:47:01 pm »
I would say they are about the same how ever the Fed CA would have slinghly more as they take on longer deploymant this being canon of coarse.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »
Gotcha.  You want YOUR chosen race to have the "God Ships".

Try using a Z-CS or a R-WB in early then you might understand truly underpowered.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
I was referring to the TV show as in traditional enemies not the game.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »

I guess their traditional enemies would be Klingons,Romulans and sometimes Gorn this being canon.They are still some what under powered.

By traditional enemies, I mean Klingons, Romulans, and Lyrans.  The Gorn are allies of the feds in SFB, which is part of the reason the F-CA really isn't balanced to fight against them.  I disagree with you about the CA needing more power to fight the Klingons, Romulans, and Lyrans.

Even as is I can compete with any race while flying almost any race (Gorn and ISC tubs don't match my style).   

Well, then you must be a particularly exceptional player.  I've found that the F-CA is pretty much a death trap against a G-CA with a halfway competent human pilot.  Fighting the ISC Early CA is even worse.

I was referring to the TV show as in traditional enemies not the game.

This is supposed to be a discussion about the game.  Canon Trek is fun to watch, but it doesn't provide good gameplay.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »

LOL . . . the plasma ships were pretty sh*tty back then as well.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 06:17:01 am »

LOL . . . the plasma ships were pretty sh*tty back then as well.

The problem is the F-CA doesn't have the power for traditional anti-plasma tactics.  Its not so much of a problem against he R-WE which doesn't have the power for traditional plasma tactics, but against the Gorn and ISC....