Topic: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1  (Read 34021 times)

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 03:07:07 pm »
That's really weird, but amazing! Are you sure there's no d3d8.dll file in your game's directory (perhaps you tried my fix a while ago and forgotten about it)?

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 07:55:45 pm »
Nope, don't see that .dll anywhere. I probably ran the OP-DLL" update when I installed but I can't remember what tis the name of the dll in that...

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 05:31:36 pm »
Would someone break down the Steps to install and what to do so I can get OP running on Windows 8.1  I'd really appreciate it
I'm not too tech savy when it comes to windows installs prefering to let the software install its self.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 06:11:00 pm »
Bernard, I used (as I always do whenever I install OP) start here:
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359567.0.html
...but only use setps 0-3, which are:
0) Completely disable Anti-Virus Software while installing and patching, then re-enable.
1) Do a clean install from a retail CD. (First, uninstall existing mods, the game, and delete its folder)
2) Patch to 2.5.5.2: ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/patches/SFCOP_Patch_2500-2552.exe (run as admin on Vista/7/8)
3) Edit your shortcut to point to StarfleetOP.exe and correct the "Start In" folder as described in the 2552 patch readme, then use this shortcut to launch the game henceforth. (The correct shortcut can be created easliy by copying StarFleetOP.exe and "paste shortcut" on the desktop)

I usually (almost always) skip the Directory server & Firesoul's OP (steps 4 & 5)
then i use the DLL updater (something not in the other thread)
I sometimes install the OP Community scripts (step 6)
I skip the Forge scripts, but always install the EX-ini utility

Now, I have usually done the port-forwarding listed in that install thread but that doesn't impact directly with running OP in Win 8.1. (In fact, I know I haven't done that on my Win8.1 pc and I still can play multiplayer on Gameranger). I also install some other scripts but not relevant in this case.

Now, yesterday I:
-right-clicked on the StarfleetOP.exe
-checked "Run this program in compatibility mode"
-selected "Windows XP SP2" (note:does anyone think I should be using SP3? Now that it works, I'm paranoid to change anything)
-checked "reduced color mode"
-selected 16-bit color
-finally, checked "Run this as an administrator"

Using the EzINI application, I set my screen to my settings, 1600x1200.
In the sfc.ini file in the OP root folder I set "windowed=1"
(You can also set the display under the "lowres" line - 6=1600x1200, 5=1280x1024, 4=1152x860, 3=1027x768, 2=960x720, 1=800x600, 0=640x480)

That's all I really did, most of this is vanilla type things I'd do for any install. I wish I had stumbled onto some "aha!" moment, but other than the "windowed" setting, it's all the same. I installed gameranger and played myself (er, that sounds wrong) between 2 machines just a few minutes ago.

Please share your results
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:43:19 pm by TAnimaL »

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »
What's this "DLL Updater" for SFC:OP? I've never heard of it and can't find it anywhere, I'd very much like to get my hands on it and then maybe I can learn something from it to get SFC games working in fullscreen on Windows 8.1 and 10. TAnimal, could you PM me this updater?

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 03:01:00 pm »
Jan, sending you a PM now with it, and will also provide a link shortly for others. I'm blanking at the moment about what dll this is, I just know this has been a crucial early step in any install of OP I've ever done - stupid synapses...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 03:57:24 pm »
Here's a link to the OP_DLL_Updater
http://www.bylennon.com/SFX/OP_DLL_Updater.exe

According to my notes, "This installer updates Orion Pirates DLL files in order to improve and smooth graphics, decrease multi-player game lag, improve game stability, and to reduce multi-player game drops..." As far as I know it works, or, at least on XP. It's been so long since I did run an install onto XP, and I always just run this updater out of habit, I have no real idea if does do anything.

Bernard, it occured to me that I might have left out a step in my Win8.1 install - I installed OP into the "Program Files (x86)" folder on my C: drive. IIRC, some people say to install into a custom folder of your own in C: in 7/8 (eg - "AwesomeGame") but the "Program...x86)" folder worked for me.

FWIW, a number of years back I made a web page describing an OP install for my archnemesis Belkov when he was reinstalling. This uses the notes in the thread mentioned above and I believe all of the links included are still active.
http://www.bylennon.com/SFX/upgrade.html

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 04:07:47 pm »
Thank you I'll see what I can do on the weekend.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 09:59:12 pm »
Here's a link to the OP_DLL_Updater
http://www.bylennon.com/SFX/OP_DLL_Updater.exe

According to my notes, "This installer updates Orion Pirates DLL files in order to improve and smooth graphics, decrease multi-player game lag, improve game stability, and to reduce multi-player game drops..." As far as I know it works, or, at least on XP. It's been so long since I did run an install onto XP, and I always just run this updater out of habit, I have no real idea if does do anything.

Bernard, it occured to me that I might have left out a step in my Win8.1 install - I installed OP into the "Program Files (x86)" folder on my C: drive. IIRC, some people say to install into a custom folder of your own in C: in 7/8 (eg - "AwesomeGame") but the "Program...x86)" folder worked for me.

FWIW, a number of years back I made a web page describing an OP install for my archnemesis Belkov when he was reinstalling. This uses the notes in the thread mentioned above and I believe all of the links included are still active.
http://www.bylennon.com/SFX/upgrade.html

The OP_DLL_UPDATER link is broken. I can download it, but it's just an empty exe (0 bytes length) !! :(
Either way thnx for the references there. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:44:57 am by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:57 am »
Huh. Sorry about that - i just checked and the OP_DLL Updater on my backup drive is the same thing, 0kb. I'll see if i can find the actual file

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 08:53:50 am »
Well I found out why that op_dll_updater.exe was 0kb - my antivirus is calling it a trojan and "cleaned by deletion." I found the file on my main SFC machine (745kb) where I'm pretty sure I had run it safely, but no doubt did that years ago. I could upload that copy but I'd hate to inflict in youse all if it is a trojan.

This is the warning my Win8.1 nachine throws:
"Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Risk Found!
Security risk detected: IRC.Backdoor.Trojan
File: D:\OP_DLL_Updater.exe"

Seeing this makes me realize that I never did run the op_dll_updater on my Win8.1 install, so therefore it didn't help me get OP running on 8.1. I sorta think that my Symantect AV is mis-identifying the updater as a trojan (since it by nature does rewrite some things) but I'd hate to take any chances. FWIW, my main SFC box is a 2007 WinXP that has been on 24/7 for years now with no problems, except with newer things like Chrome etc.

Has anyone else got OP running on Win8.1? Mine is very stable, it seems

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 08:59:08 am »
Has anyone else got OP running on Win8.1? Mine is very stable, it seems

Man, i'm amazed!!
SFC OP 2552 runs in my Windows 10 64Bit without any trick! Don't need any compatibilty mode at all !!! I just made a fresh install and updated to v2552 and bamm!!
Was setting a virtual machinne to play it, and it did worked too. But i never expected it would even work in win10.
Do it works so well on your win10 machines?

Damm... it even plays the intro credits till the end! :D
Wtf! Just tried and full screen works too !!!

(If it doesn't work as well in your win10 setups. I could have done something that could help it running, and could be hable to discover/reproduce what was. I was refreshing some dx libraries <= dx9 while working on a hobby)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:58:56 am by d4v1ks »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 09:15:06 am »
W00t! That's great to hear about Win10. For the life of me, I have no idea what I did to get it to run in Win81. I just tried it one day. Did the same thing, fresh install from iso. I do have compatibility set for XP SP2 but I'll bet I set those before even attempting to run it. Any way, great news

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 11:00:06 am »
Discovered a small issue while testing it in windows 10 64bit:

In fullscreen i discovered that if you alt+tab, for example, the game will hang up and stay on top hiding the mouse. I managed to avoid this situation by changing a setting in sfc.ini. After that you will be hable to alt+tab out of the game normally, but the incovinence is that when you return to the game, the graphics will be all messed up. So better avoid doing a alt+tab.

[Mouse]
async=0
hwblit=0

Apart from that, have been playing campaign and all works smoothly.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 11:21:56 am »
That would happen often even when on an OS it was designed for.

Offline KBF-Butcher

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 05:52:48 pm »
I remember this happening as well in some occasions even with winxp. Was really frustrating if you would get a pop up which d force you out of the game and then return to find graphics messed up. However in some cases if you would wait for a while it would recover.
Good news though, now what remains is to make it work on dyna and continue the SG and GW series servers ... ;D

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 10:44:09 am »
Wow, i just tried SFC OP today in gameRanger and it worked at first try!! :D
Was using v2552, OP+ 4.0 and EzINI.

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit and the game runs smoothly!!
But, the bad news is that i didnt found anyone with Windows 10 that has hable even to install it.
Its very wierd. I feel sad about it. :-\
Must be some of the directx sdk i installed when i was working in one of my games.
I will try to track it down. To see what i can do to help other have this good experience...
Have to do a backup and reset my windows 10, cause i have no ideia of what i did to make it work. And start from the bottom.
I will give more details as soon i have any news...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2015, 11:08:38 am »
I've been holding off from installing Win10 just because I'm a heavy Adobe Creative Suite user at the moment and haven't researched it yet. Also, have you tried using Evolve?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2015, 11:11:37 am »
I have it installed. But didn't tried it yet after the upgrade to windows 10 this summer
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:26:50 am by d4v1ks »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 03:07:11 pm »
* Well, i did a fresh install of Windows 10 in my machine to test why i could run SFC OP on it and others don't.
I did the usual things i do: Runned the Windows update, disk cleaner, set up my home network and homegroup,
set my power options to high performance, downloaded my graphic and sound card latest drivers. Installed them.
Set up my graphic card to single display and max power performance.
  The base was set to test why i could run it so well.

* I took my ISO image of SFC OP. Load it with daemon tools (my favorite). Runned the setup without any problems
  (clicked only on the program files checkbox). Closed it.
  Patched it with v2552, installed OP+4.0, EzINI, the usual...
  Dropped there the SFC.INI i had before.
  Started the game; Entered the key; Entered in multiplayer; The Windows detected that the game needed a feature
  called DirectPlay. I installed it; Firewall pops up. I leave the game (or it would hang up there if i alt+tab) to authorize it;
  After that, i tried to play a campaign. Entered battle. Lost a 1v3 and won a 1v1. Nothing special.

* It offered no problems at all. Everything runned normally and smoothly!
  So what would be the diference between my experience and others experience?

I THINK, its related to how Windows handles security! SFC series are old exe files.

1 - If you can't install from CD, then open it and copy all files into your personnal document folder.
     For example "C:\Users\D4v1ks\Documents\SfcIso". And install from there.

2 - When you are installing the game please install it into your user folder too.
    I installed mine into "C:\Users\D4v1ks\Documents\My Games\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates".

3 - I'm sure if you install it elsewhere, aside from your personnal or public folders, Windows will have a high probability of mess with you.

4 - Even so, if you follow these 3 points and still have problems, then it must be related to SFC.INI, or your drivers! Apart from the hardware, its the only diference between my setup and yours .

Enjoy! Its so cool! :D
You dont need to setup any compatibility mode or wierd tricks. And it works in window and full screen modes !!
I spent +2 hours to prove to you how simple it was. Life long and prosper to Windows 10!

Edit1:
   Here is a link to the sfc.ini i'm using currently: http://pastebin.com/j8vVthga
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:43:08 am by d4v1ks »