Topic: Store Issues / Application issues (Hold off on any Store Purchases for now, plz)  (Read 13837 times)

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Alo all!

Recently, we've migrated our Windows 2003 servers to brand new sparkly Windows 2008 R2 servers, and in the process we've been noticing some oddities after the move.

Most pressing is the fact that our store emails don't seem to be working. SFHQ (yes, he's still alive and kicking) is assisting me on this, and we hope to have a resolution soon.

I'm asking anyone that's thinking about it to hold off on buying from our store until I post here that the store issue has been resolved.

If you've purchased SFC:CE from our store within the last three weeks or so, please don't hesitate to file a customer service ticket HERE
and we'll look into it pronto!

Feel free to post any oddities *you've* noticed, and I'll get a list going so we can address them.

The D.Net staff sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Regards,
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:05:24 pm by FA Frey XC »
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline MIWolverine

• Lt. Junior Grade
The link gives me the following error:

An Error Has Occurred!
    You are not permitted to access the helpdesk.

NOTE: I'm the guy who already contacted you about my order from May 26th.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Likely because of our requirements on posting to get around spammers, as forums show you've posted once.

Drat! Keep posting here if you can't make a ticket.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline MIWolverine

• Lt. Junior Grade
Got it.  Gonna keep posting until I can make a ticket, then.

Offline MIWolverine

• Lt. Junior Grade
Posted 20 times, got promoted to LT JG, and still wasn't able to get into the helpdesk to post a ticket (although it did stop asking me the anti-spam questions when I got promoted). 

I cleaned up my mess of postings and am now left wondering (along with how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?) exactly how many postings does it take to get to the helpdesk?

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Don't know, and honestly right now don't have the energy to figure it out.

Shop is fixed, emails are now working again. I'll get this sorted over the weekend.

Have faith, true Believers.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline MIWolverine

• Lt. Junior Grade
Yeah, it appears to be working now.  I just ordered SFC:EAW and the Market sent me the download links and everything. 

I still haven't received any notifications from D.net market my previous order of SFC:CE, though.  Please keep trying to fix what happened with that order.

Thanks Frey.

Offline angelr211212

• Ensign
Hello,

Been keeping an eye on the SFC:CE effort for a while and just saw that it was available for download as a package from the marketplace 6/11/14.
Purchased the SFCCE, got my links, downloaded the .ISO twice and am having a hard time installing.

The .ISO didn't burn well with IMGBurn (both download attempts) when it told me the Mode needed to be altered for my system.
Scanning the burned disk says the main .EXE is incomplete and 7ZIP says the .ISO is not a valid archive.

Both my separate download attempts are identical:
628MB (658,915,520 bytes)

I'm posting here because I too can't get into the ticketing system and post there.
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Offline Vladimir

• Lt. Junior Grade
Trying to understand why selling a broken game is so important... The campaign game is unplayable as it stands (save single skirmish missions), see: http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163393584.0.html
And to date no workaround or fix has been found (other then play a campaign and never fight pirates LOL).
Priority mix-match?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Vladimir, if you replace the bugged mission, Met17Patrol.scr, with any other mission that does work, you should be good to go. You don't have to play Met17Patrol. Other missions do indeed allow you to destroy Orion ships and still complete the mission.

Offline rookietech359

• Ensign
so I purchased a copy of the Community Edition on the 18 of may and still have no notifications other than the money was taken received. i just noticed this forum stating there were some issues that just got solved, now my question is, i got a CD Key but no discs. do i have to reorder or what other courses of action are there for me?

Offline Captain_Tacki

• Ensign
Hi guys, I'm new here.

I just purchased SFC:CE from the market, downloaded the iso file and proceeded to mount it to a virtual drive. Unfortunately it appears that the file is corrupt or incompatible or something of that nature. In either case, I can't get the game to work which makes me very sad. It looks like some other people are having trouble with the installation process as well. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this on, I didn't know where else to post. I tried downloading the file 3 times already and haven't had any luck getting the game to install.

I'm hoping that I'm just doing something wrong, something that is easily correctable.

Offline rjosh

• Ensign
I bought SFC:CE yesterday, got emails, but cant dl the ISO. Tried twice, after 78-80 mb's download just ends.
Since there is only 6 tries, i am a little worried.

Offline Rocinante

• Lt. Junior Grade
Between submitting tickets and posting here, I've been waiting nine days for help with the same problems, so don't hold your breath, rjosh.

Offline rjosh

• Ensign
Well, now I have used all the astronomical six Dl's to failed attempts, and I must say I am pretty pissed off.

Offline Rocinante

• Lt. Junior Grade
I realize I'm only out 17.97 but... Coming up on two weeks without any answer.

"Dynaverse.net....your friend for SFC3 and SFC2. We support all versions of these great games!"

Plz define "friend" and "support". :-p

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Hey all, not sure what's going on here but Strat did the programing work behind the CE project.  At this point I would seek him out and see if you all can get an answer since you're not getting anything through normal channels.

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
I worked on some things (read in redid the entire code for SFC: CE), but I did not convert it to the CD format, and I did not work on the store. That is all dnet.  :angel:

EDIT (FA_Frey_XC): To make sure people understand Strat IS the one that did the programming for SFC:CE.

Hardly worth the angel, but I'll leave it ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:44:15 am by FA Frey XC »

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
It's not the store Stat, when they say the campaign isn't working or there's game issues.

We've resolved the store problems, and I, and yes I, am back in the "office" so to speak and working on getting these resolved.

Not trying to make excuses, but I've been dealing with health issues over the last three months and I am the only one administering this site.

I'll issue refunds to everyone that's posted a complaint in this thread, just send me a PM with your order number so I can match it up on PayPal.

We've had this product downloaded over 1000 times since we've re-posted the new ISO, and about 10% of those purchases seem to have problems mounting the ISO. MagicISO seems to work.

Thanks for swinging by to respond to this thread, Strat, and not trying to figure out what's wrong but declare your innocence and blame D.Net, the place that got you the code and allowed you to work on it in the first place. Loyalty is amazing.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Rocinante

• Lt. Junior Grade
Sorry to hear about the health issues.

So I gather that you're administering a store on someone else's platform and can do stuff like refunds but can't fix whatever is causing the download fails? Do you happen to know if they have an FAQ for the partial bailed downloads? Can they reset download count and let us retry with some new knowledge to increase likelihood of success?

Sorry to bombard with questions, but now that someone is listening... :-p

Offline DigiHound

• Ensign
Some of the people who can't mount the ISO may be having a problem because the ISO download isn't completing properly.  That said:

FA Frey,

I'm one of the players who can't download the game due to the ISO download dying repeatedly. I've tested all three browers and asked a friend to test my download link from across the country to make sure it's not just something about my network connection.

I'm not asking for a refund, though. I'm willing to wait for you guys to get things sorted out, provided two things are true:

1).  You can reset that six-download limit in some fashion (though I think I tried to download it more than just six times last *night*) and am trying again right now.

2).  You think there's a way to solve the problem.

You put in a huge amount of effort to build this game and run the site to give a tiny-but-devoted fanbase continued access to a cherished set of products long after the company that funded the work has vanished. I was astonished to discover SC2 even *had* an ongoing community.

A few bucks, even if I can't get the game right now, is the least I can do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:03:49 pm by DigiHound »

Offline Oatworm

• Ensign
Add me to the list of people that can't download the ISO correctly. Also, when I attempt to create a help desk ticket, it says I don't have access to the help desk.

Just for kicks, I attempted to download the ISO using wget to see if that got anywhere useful; all that did was download a small Javascript file that generated an "invalid key" error message. I'm guessing either I hit the six download limit or wget isn't handling the redirects your site is requiring properly; either is entirely possible. I also attempted a download via Lynx, which gave me an average download speed of 380-400KiB/sec. At that speed, it should have downloaded the ISO (643472 KiB) in roughly 30 minutes, give or take. Instead, it bombed out after roughly 198000 KiB or so, or 10 minutes of total download time. That 10 minute limit appears to be pretty consistent, though I haven't timed it with a stopwatch. Given that the site appears to be using PHP to handle the download, I strongly suspect the server's PHP max_execution_time variable is set to a seemingly reasonable 600 - seemingly reasonable, that is, unless you plan on hosting large files from the server, at which point PHP just cuts the script running the file transfer off at the knees.

Some supporting documentation:
PHP: Runtime Configuration - max_execution_time: http://php.net/manual/en/info.configuration.php#ini.max-execution-time
PHP: set_time_limit: http://php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

I have sending to email enabled in my profile. Feel free to drop me a line if you require additional info from me.

Offline Vladimir

• Lt. Junior Grade
Anyone trying to 'mount' the image. Stop. This image will not mount. I do not have all the techno-bable to explain, but you have to literally actually burn the download. From there if you want to make a second image from your CD that you burnt, you can, and it will be much smaller (you can then discard the first image you downloaded). Don't ask why, just trust me, the 'image' was made 'sloppily' & 'hastily'... I know 'cuz I am the bugger that screamed bloody murder until it got done, because the previous version in the shop didn't hardly work at all. Exeter upgraded it to newer code, but he was and is 'over-tasked' and this is the result (which is still by far better then it was prior).

If 'they' did anything, they should sell this 'second image' on the shop, replacing what they are selling now - it would solve a lot of issues...

As for the comment about loyalty, I actually laughed out loud. The 'coders; are donating their time, then you sell the game. It doesn't work right and you blame them? They are not the ones selling it...

So let's speak of loyalty, shall we?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:04:47 am by Vladimir »

Offline Silver83

• Ensign
I have the same download problem. And I can't use the help desk either.

So please fix the download option.

Or just give me a refund. Starfleet Command on Windows 98 (VMware) should do the trick...

Offline huskyhi

• Ensign
I also can't download the ISO image. I've tried using different ISP, different machines, different browsers, different OSes, and even a mobile device. It always cuts off about the same amount of time before the download can complete. With out a resume option it doesn't seem possible unless I can find a even faster download option that can finish the download before it seems to time out? Also I don't seem to be able to use the help desk option.

Offline Silver83

• Ensign
I got the following reply:

We’re aware of the issue and we’re working on it.

So we have to remain patient  :D

Offline Stinky

• Lt. Junior Grade
Darn, I wish I would have looked here before ordering today.  At least I know it's not something I'm doing, other than having really bad timing.

This looks like it's been going on for a while.  Any updates?

Offline Derek Pullem

• Ensign
Exactly the same problem. 

Can't download the file and can't raise a ticket

The first thing they could do is take down the totally false claim on the home page that the problem is fixed!

How on earth do I even contact someone to notify them of the problem?

Also - why on earth do I need to use a capthca to POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jaselee

• Ensign
This is sad. I'm a long time follower of the game just to find out that there is a development on the game and promptly bought it without thinking. After finding problems again and again about downloading, I found that this is an ongoing problem faced in the community.

It's disappointing to find that there is a problem even to download the ISO (which I have repeatedly done, with different browsers, and even using different downloader).

Can the publisher/developer come out with a time line on when they can fix this problem?

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
The downloading issue has been resolved.

Guys, please think before you post. Everything done here is done with volunteer work, and I don't see any PM's from any of you complaining volunteering, soooo....

We've been in the process of updating our infrastructure, now we're finishing upgrading our software platforms. What was experienced was an issue with Apache (OMFG Linux peeps go soak yer head in a gasoline filled bucket then relax and have a smoke) and SFHQ has since resolved it.

If you've been unable to download, TRY NOW.

If you still can't, send me a PM.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Some of the people who can't mount the ISO may be having a problem because the ISO download isn't completing properly.  That said:

FA Frey,

I'm one of the players who can't download the game due to the ISO download dying repeatedly. I've tested all three browers and asked a friend to test my download link from across the country to make sure it's not just something about my network connection.

I'm not asking for a refund, though. I'm willing to wait for you guys to get things sorted out, provided two things are true:

1).  You can reset that six-download limit in some fashion (though I think I tried to download it more than just six times last *night*) and am trying again right now.

2).  You think there's a way to solve the problem.

You put in a huge amount of effort to build this game and run the site to give a tiny-but-devoted fanbase continued access to a cherished set of products long after the company that funded the work has vanished. I was astonished to discover SC2 even *had* an ongoing community.

A few bucks, even if I can't get the game right now, is the least I can do.

Digi,

Answers to your questions:

1.) This has been done

2.) This has been done.

Thank you for your recognition of the amount of effort that went into this update.  If you're having any issues let me know via PM and we'll get it sorted.

People that haven't been here for the long haul don't understand, and while I don't hold that against them, the sarcasm and negativity displayed by others are probably a reason they're not getting a response from "Normal channels".

Something to think about.

Regards,
Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Anyone trying to 'mount' the image. Stop. This image will not mount. I do not have all the techno-bable to explain, but you have to literally actually burn the download. From there if you want to make a second image from your CD that you burnt, you can, and it will be much smaller (you can then discard the first image you downloaded). Don't ask why, just trust me, the 'image' was made 'sloppily' & 'hastily'... I know 'cuz I am the bugger that screamed bloody murder until it got done, because the previous version in the shop didn't hardly work at all. Exeter upgraded it to newer code, but he was and is 'over-tasked' and this is the result (which is still by far better then it was prior).

If 'they' did anything, they should sell this 'second image' on the shop, replacing what they are selling now - it would solve a lot of issues...

As for the comment about loyalty, I actually laughed out loud. The 'coders; are donating their time, then you sell the game. It doesn't work right and you blame them? They are not the ones selling it...

So let's speak of loyalty, shall we?

Yes, let's.

I'll start by saying this:

Goodbye.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Creepy

• Ensign

Hi,

I'm a bit lost here. I didn't see this thread until just now and purchased SFC:CE just a day or two ago.
 From what I understand, the game has gone gold last year, yet when I burned and installed the game, it said the game was beta.
 Could someone fill me in on what's going on? Totally new here.

..I also don't know my Star Trek trivia well enough to answer all these security questions without trouble.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
The splash screen for SFC Community Edition was never updated. The game is not in Beta. The guy who did those graphics hasn't been around lately to change it. Please, ignore the word "Beta". The game you downloaded is, I suppose, gold. But of course, like most software on this planet, it could use more bug-fixing.

I love Community Edition.  It is a great version of this grand game.

Offline Creepy

• Ensign
 Thanks for the response! I have a couple of more questions:
 When I installed the game, it never asked me for a key, what's the point of the key?
 Is there a way to change the screen resolution and/or render settings? I noticed I can only change sound parameters while in a mission...

The removal of the beta part should be an easy enough fix. Where is the file located and is there any unpacking that needs to be done?

Gojira should be a valid answer to who the king of all monsters is.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
The splash screen is actually contained within the game assets itself (i believe its in the .q3, a nasty bugger) and can't be updated unless you are very good at decryption
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Creepy

• Ensign
The splash screen is actually contained within the game assets itself (i believe its in the .q3, a nasty bugger) and can't be updated unless you are very good at decryption

Sorry, could you clarify the situation for me? According to the wiki, DGA "owns the rights to the entire series of games, including Starfleet Command III." But they're unable to unpack the q3 for Starfleet Command II, which reportedly took over continued development in the form of SFC:CE from Taldren California?

I'm still wondering about the key as well...

edit: I did a little more surfing for information. Has anyone tried to get in touch with the founders of Taldren? It's been about 13 years, and a lot has changed since. Maybe someone can finally throw us a bone...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:13:35 pm by Creepy »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander

Sorry, could you clarify the situation for me? According to the wiki, DGA "owns the rights to the entire series of games, including Starfleet Command III." But they're unable to unpack the q3 for Starfleet Command II, which reportedly took over continued development in the form of SFC:CE from Taldren California?

I'm still wondering about the key as well...

edit: I did a little more surfing for information. Has anyone tried to get in touch with the founders of Taldren? It's been about 13 years, and a lot has changed since. Maybe someone can finally throw us a bone...

No one has access to the Q3sprites file, not even Taldren. They licenced it from Quicksilver and it was encrypted even for them. There have been inquiries at Quicksilver for access, but the process is slow.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
I believe Marstone was the last one to get into it (he spent a lot of time backworking the code and decrypting it) and the splash screen you see there is the result of that work.  He was able to also update some of the assets, but I don't think he ever finished his tool (hd crash? lost all the work?).  He also hasn't been on the forums for over a year and hasn't done work on the .q3 for longer.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline tomcat

• Ensign
Hello,

Newbie here to Dynaverse.net, although I have been a big fan of SFCII for a long time. Bummed me out when I could no longer play it on Win7.

Anyway, I am excited to see it has been re-tooled to work with current OS.

So, I just paid $5.99 at the store to purchase SFC:CE and I got my download link. I downloaded the file, which is an ISO extension file. I then unpacked it to a CD and although the CDROM drive says the disc has content, it won't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated on how I can make my purchase run.

Thanks in advance!

Tomcat

Offline Stinky

• Lt. Junior Grade

So, I just paid $5.99 at the store to purchase SFC:CE and I got my download link. I downloaded the file, which is an ISO extension file. I then unpacked it to a CD and although the CDROM drive says the disc has content, it won't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated on how I can make my purchase run.

Here's what worked for me:

1. After downloading the file (sfcce.iso), I used MagicISO (http://www.magiciso.com) to unpack the contents to its own directory

2. In that newly unpacked directory, I ran the file SFCIICE_2670.exe and followed the prompts

That's about it.  It seems to work for me on Windows XP SP3.  Can't yet get it to run in Wine in OS X (10.9.5).

Good luck!

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
I'm working on a new ISO image, I just haven't had the time to burn, test and then upload.

I know, but architecting the largest court system in the world (LA County) is an exacting science.

:)

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline zantron

• Ensign
I had been thinking since discovering it a couple months ago about buying sfc:ce, well I did so today - I too initially couldnt unlock the iso, and sent an email message to the management. i was amazed by how quick the response was (like within 10 min of sending it). i went to http://www.magiciso.com as instructed and had zero issues, installed the game and it runs perfect. I am very happy! I was actually a little worried before I bought the game that single player campaign wound not work and there would be problems, but everything runs super smooth on my 64bit set up. all i can say is devs you are amazing Im happy to be replaying a childhood favorite of mine I thought lost forever :) if anyone hesitating out there like I was all I say is no worries go for it, you wont regret it

Offline 3 of 4

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hi,

I am trying to buy Star Trek Starfleet Command 2: Community Edition but every time I go through the chechkout on dynaverse.net it brings up an error when i click on the pay by card/paypal.

Is it broken at the moment?

So excited to try this out, spent years playing this when I was younger.

Please Help!

Many thanks

Alex

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Thank you for reporting this! I've gotten it fixed and you should be good to go :)

Regards,

Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline tomcat

• Ensign
Thank you all!

It looks like it's doing the trick!