Topic: ST3 drives itself backwards.  (Read 18654 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
ST3 drives itself backwards.
« on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »
With the new director.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30586774

Film-maker Justin Lin is to direct the next instalment of the Star Trek movie franchise, it has been confirmed.

Lin, whose previous credits include four instalments of the Fast and Furious series, replaces Roberto Orci, who recently pulled out of the role.

JJ Abrams, who made the first two reboots of the sci-fi series, stepped down to make the new Star Wars film.

A release for the third Star Trek prequel - or "threequel" - has not been set by Hollywood film studio Paramount.

However, there has been speculation that it will come out in 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the launch of the Star Trek television series.

Casting details are not confirmed, but actors who starred in the first two outings, including Chris Pine as Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock, are expected to return.

Star Trek Into Darkness, released in 2013, made more than $467m (£278m) worldwide. It co-starred Benedict Cumberbatch as villain Khan.

The first prequel, looking at the younger lives of its famous characters, was released in 2009.

Orci, who was due to make his directorial debut on the project, is co-writing the script.

Orci, along with Abrams, will continue to be on board as producers.

------------

I may be alone here, but ST is not solely an action movie, but always always had social commentary that while we may not all agree, it was always at the front of things. That is a lot of what made Trek, Trek.

I fear that we are gonna see overblown action sequences replacing the Lens Flare (which will now be a new Jedi Power).

I was disappointed by the first two films, but always thought, at least it is keeping the franchise going. Now I think , just let it die in peace.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: ST3 drives itself backwards.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:42:32 pm »
Things like Axanar keep my faith in the franchise/brand.  Yeah, Axanar is technically a fan franchise, but it has some pretty good star power.

I recently showed Prelude to Axanar to a fellow Trek fan, and she said it gave her goose bumps...

That being said, so far nothing in the press release above has rekindled my faith in the latest Paramount effort.  And yeah, Star Trek should be more in depth and not just about flashy action sequences.

Franchise films shouldn't always be about the lowest common denominator.  Unfortunately, the bean counters don't agree with that assessment, and brave directors that 'own' their projects and push back hard against stuido influences are fewer and farther between.  At least in the movie world.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:35:15 pm »
I agree 100% + with every thing you just said there.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:03 pm »
I may be alone here, but ST is not solely an action movie, but always always had social commentary that while we may not all agree, it was always at the front of things. That is a lot of what made Trek, Trek...

I was disappointed by the first two films, but always thought, at least it is keeping the franchise going. Now I think , just let it die in peace.

Stephen

Yes. Rest in Peace real Trek.

Star Trek surely had moments of action...but Trek, to me, is built upon compassion and a "respect for sentient life" as a pricipled (and subordinate) Spock once said to a determined Kirk (who had ordered the destruction of the Gorn vessel). The Horta episode also comes to mind: images of broken silicon eggs, No Kill I. The hearty laughter of Kor and Kirk at the whirly-gig entity that thrived on hate and vengeance, yet defeated through peace. What saved the Earth? It wasn't slow-motion 3-D panning martial arts, nor high-speed chases, nor sword fights, nope, it was just one beautiful singing whale. :)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:16 pm »
I see my links and shared posts are helping you out here.JJ go home.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 12:07:53 pm »
The hearty laughter of Kor and Kirk at the whirly-gig entity that thrived on hate and vengeance, yet defeated through peace.

Kang and Kirk.  Kor was on Organia.

Making Trek for non Trek fans.   :smackhead:  Morons.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 01:27:03 pm »
Oops. Right. Too many K's! Actually, Kor would have been the Klingon Commander in that episode if the actor were available. Kang was an excellent substitute indeed.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »
Hopefully, Lin will retire JJ's models and sets.  As horrible as ST TMP was, the new Enterprise was everything it should have been, and despite the over-abundance of gimblies, the Klingon BC model was quite beautiful.  These beautiful models would not have been created without the film, so, "so what" if it sucked?  Since we're talking about a movie, you can't expect much, but hopefully, Lin will do something cool.

To give the devil his due, JJ Abrams is an excellent director.  The films flowed perfectly, and the actors did quite well.  It's virtually every creative decision that was hopelessly wrong.  From the design of the Enterprise to the destruction of the planet Vulcan, everything seemed to be a deliberate act of vandalism on the ST franchise.  I hope they hurry up, and get the last of Paramount's ST movies out of the way, so CBS can take a serious stab at a new series.  There hasn't been a good spaceship show since SG1, Farscape, and Firefly!

Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
Hopefully, Lin will retire JJ's models and sets.  As horrible as ST TMP was, the new Enterprise was everything it should have been, and despite the over-abundance of gimblies, the Klingon BC model was quite beautiful.  These beautiful models would not have been created without the film, so, "so what" if it sucked?  Since we're talking about a movie, you can't expect much, but hopefully, Lin will do something cool.

To give the devil his due, JJ Abrams is an excellent director.  The films flowed perfectly, and the actors did quite well.  It's virtually every creative decision that was hopelessly wrong.  From the design of the Enterprise to the destruction of the planet Vulcan, everything seemed to be a deliberate act of vandalism on the ST franchise.  I hope they hurry up, and get the last of Paramount's ST movies out of the way, so CBS can take a serious stab at a new series.  There hasn't been a good spaceship show since SG1, Farscape, and Firefly!

I wouldn't say TMP looked bad I didn't like those uniforms as much as I liked TOS and 2 thru 6.The ship was just fine and I was impressed by it not that I didn't like the TV version.

Thsoe weren't the last of space TV series as the Last was SG Universe,Atlantis,Andromeda and BSG04 which were all filmed in BC.

If there is another TV series it should take place between 2230 to 2360 to clear up the indescrepanses.

These people want to see a series that takes place after Nemsis.I would say we have sen enough TNG for now.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:05:54 pm by Age »

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 03:11:57 pm »

I thought the acting sucked.  In particular outside of the bad writing, Zachary Quinto's acting defiled Spock even more.  I also don't want another Trek series.  If they did one right now, it would probably be set in the same continuity as the Abrams films.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:58:10 pm »
I don't think any group of actors could have made anything of the JJ scripts, so I won't tarnish the actor's reputations.  We all got to make a living.

The models of the Enterprise and the Klingon BC were the highlights of ST TMP, otherwise, the costumes and sets left much to be desired.  As for the storyline, characterizations, and the like, the producers had to work very hard to come up with something that lousy.  Still, a good model is enough to redeem any sci-fi movie, and ST TMP had not one but two.  By that standard, it was the only good ST film.

My list of sci-fi from the 1990's was limitted to my favorites.  I could have included BSG and STU, but found those just too depressing.  SGA was only watchable because of my enormous appetite for sci-fi.  SG1 and Firefly were truly quality productions.

As far as a new ST series goes, the one thing that JJ Abrams got right is that the Paramount paradigm is rather long in the tooth.  While there are people that want a post Nexus program, there really is a limit to the imagination.  How can you present a TV franchise where people live hundreds of years, while retaining a youthful appearance?  This is going to happen before the timeline of Enterprise, let alone Nexis.  As far as the appearance of the ST series and movies, the appearance of the visual effects date from the 1970's and 80's.  Next week, it will be 2015!

When TOS aired, Sci-fi was very different than what we are presented with today.  TOS was produced when not just the dreamers, but the doers were thinking big thoughts.  Project Orion had only been cancelled a few years before, and the moon missions started while the series was in production.  The 1960's was a time when sci-fi writers were thinking in terms of atomic hand guns, while real soldiers were joking about atomic hand grenades.  The series was fanciful, because people's minds were open to the possiblities ST explored.

Today, are only open to space ships and ray-guns, because of all the decades they've been in the most popular TV shows and movies.  We're used to them.  They're just conventions we've come to accept, like every other hum-drum genera.

Some say that ST should just die.  It might be better if the fans had the ST world all to themselves, before people like Abrams make any more horrible films, but that isn't in the cards.  CBS didn't buy the rights just to keep anybody else from doing ST.  They probably already had contracts with a production company to create a new series when they bought the franchise.

Now that JJ Abrams has vandalized the ST universe, CBS is free to do whatever they want.  I don't want to see anything that remotely smells like any ST I've already seen.  What would really set it off is giving it the feel of hard sci-fi.  I know, that's asking for a lot.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:54:19 am by Tulwar »
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 09:40:40 am »
I didn't mind Zach Q so much as Spock, or eve Chris Pine or Urban.

On the Spock part, I never got into saving cheerleaders, so Zach was a new comer to me, and I thought he pulled it off well, until ST2 the wrath of bad writing.

Urban nails it 100%.

I love that scrawny English feller from Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead, but he just doesn't quite live up to Scotty and his burly rumble.

Read an article the other day on Forbes, and man they where happy with the director choice.  I just can not be.

as for the Motion Picture, I think one had to be there in the moment. right at 10 years with no new trek, even the costumes where a nice slap in the face to the Disco clothes I was sick of seeing as a kid. and seeing the Big E on the screen for the first time. For a lot of us, in that special age bracket, it was a dream come true.

Of course, rose tinted glasses and all of that.

stephen

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:10:12 am »
I still get the chills everytime I see the drydock scene from TMP.  And ST:IV was actually my first Star Trek anything, I was six at the time.  So I never had the 'Transistion' from the TOS Enterprise to the TMP Enterprise.

My three favorite scenes were the Drydock (and leaving the drydock) scene from TMP. the Mutara Nebula Battle in ST2, and Stealing the Enterprise in ST3. :)
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 07:34:57 pm »

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 09:34:03 pm »
Here I was getting happy, because I thought JJ was taking his hands off the wheel.  Oh well.

There are reasons that movies have been getting worse over the decades.  Sci-fi seems to be the babyfied genera around.  The emerging markets around the world don't have serious space programs, so serious sci-fi does not appeal to their cultures.  When the Communist Party decides it's time to make Americans look like idiots, and invest serious money in their space program, the People's Republic of China will build heavy lift rockets on assembly lines and do some real space exploration.  Over night, the Chinese film and television will begin exporting their science fiction franchises to America.

Movies are a lost cause.  Television, on the other hand, is changing in a big way.  Broadcasters are going to be driven out of buisness, and the cable monopolies are only going to hold on to their buisness model, because they can control the politicians.  After all, they control nearly all the political information the American People have access to, so no politician will dare threaten them.

Still, there is competition for content.  ST is a proven winner.  If a studio should invest a large amount of money into a ST series, they know the money will not be wasted.  As the usual financial model of selling advertising time during a time slot fails, CBS will be able to make money by selling redistribution rights and merchandising.  This means the studio will have to produce a product distinct from what has been done by Paramount.

Perhaps, it was part of the deal, when CBS bought the rights that Paramount end by making the most offensive ST movies imaginable.  I couldn't think of any better way to hand CBS a clean slate than encouraging Abrams to vandalise the franchise.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »
Tulwar
Broadcasters are going to be driven out of buisness, and the cable monopolies are only going to hold on to their buisness
I hate to say but I would say Data got it right " As that form of entertainment never lasted beyond 2040"

I don't see the quality of and writting that the 20 century had on TV.Networks don't wan't to make sci fi /fantasy Tv as it is to expensive.You can get 10 CSI for the price of 1 TNG.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 06:35:12 pm »
I don't see the quality of and writting that the 20 century had on TV.Networks don't wan't to make sci fi /fantasy Tv as it is to expensive.You can get 10 CSI for the price of 1 TNG.

It goes in cycles. From 1970 until Star Wars was a run away success there was little sci fi on TV.  It was fading from the book stores too.  Star Wars revitalized it.   BSG capitalized on it.  That revitalizing has faded away and needs another shot in the arm to restore it. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »
Unfortunately, Star Wars isn't sci-fi, it's fantasy space opera. There is no science about it at all, but since it is set mostly in space, people confuse it for sci-fi and that leads to the whiz-bang approach studios take for "sci-fi" these days, hence the new BSG which wasn't really sci-fi either, just a drama with a space backdrop. The real sci-fi that is being put out nowadays is the dystopian future stuff, but most of that is geared toward adolecent girls (who'd have thought that thirty years ago?), so it's about as palatable as a porcupine sundae.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 09:55:18 pm »
So long as it is a SciFi setting that is all the execs see.  To them there is no difference between the Star Wars novel and the novel Rocheworld both are Sci Fi to them.  (Rocheworld is hard sci fi written by an actual space scientist with relevant patents to his name.)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 08:30:41 am »
The book, and now the film, The Martian looks to have some promise, that is if Ridley Scott doesn't screw it up.