Topic: SFC3 Multiplayer Login Requires Gamespy Login - How to get past this? SOLVED!!  (Read 46255 times)

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hey everyone,

My friend and I used to play SFC3 Multiplayer Campaign and am trying to get back on, but I can't seem to get past the GameSpy login (don't have my login info anymore, and not even sure it would work now that GameSpy is shut down).

I can connect to the Directory server, got past DirectPlay test, but stuck on the GameSpy login (won't let me create a new account, and doesn't recognize my email address).

Some of you may remember me (Beansolo) and my buddy (jpuke) if you played on the Alternate B server hosted by Garreth.

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Beansolo
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*** UPDATE *** 

Starfleet Command III Multiplayer Online (Dynaverse3) is BACK!!  For the past couple weeks I have been scouring the internet for any hint of how to get back onto SFC3's Dynaverse multiplayer online realm.  It seems there has not been any working instance of it since the Gamespy shutdown occurred last year.

After much research, and lots of trial-and-error, I have successfully found a way to get it going again.  I must give credit and thanks to a couple key individuals, namely Ron Mercer (President and CEO of Qtracker www.qtracker.com, which is what provides Gamespy emulation) and Luigi Auriemma (http://aluigi.altervista.org/about.htm) whose research and development made free to the public is the basis for Gamespy emulation.

Below are the steps I have documented, and already confirmed one other has been able to get in (so I know it works).

If you have SFC3 already installed, I recommend you uninstall (to be sure you start off with a clean, unmodded install, before adding the 534b patch mentioned further down). 

Installing SFC3: 
Disabling any virus protection usually helps with installation
install the game (do not install DirectX or Gamespy Arcade when prompted)

Download and install the 534b patch: http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads/sfc3/Patches/SFC3_Patch_1.01_Beta_2_Build_v534_b.exe   (I recommend you don't install any other mods; your build and version must be the same as the server running the game)

Download and install the Directory Server updater: http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads/sfc3/Patches/sfc3_directory_server_updater.exe

[Edit August 29, 2018 -- For the latest working method, please refer to my post further down this thread dated August 28th, 2018 (http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394297.msg1123056767.html#msg1123056767).

[Edit April 2, 2016 -- Confirmed a simplified method that does NOT require Hosts File editing, or Primary DNS change, which I will refer to as "Method #1".  I will leave in details of my original post further down and refer to it as "Method #2"]:

Method #1:
Thanks to own3mall from the Qtracker.com site, there is a utility called "GameSpy Patcher".  Download it from this page: http://www.qtracker.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4377&p=16603&hilit=gamespy+patcher#p16603.  Install it and use it to patch your SFC3.exe file. 

NOTE: If you are setting up an SFC3 server, you can download the server kit at http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads/sfc3/Server_kits/SFC3_Beta_Server_Kit_Build_v534_b.exe and install it.  Then use the GameSpy Patcher utility against 3 files: 1) serverplatform.exe, 2) \Assets\ValidatedClientFiles\SFC3.exe, 3) \Assets\ServerProfiles\chat.gf

Method #2 [this was the original method I posted about, but is more complex]:
The purpose of this next step is so that any DNS names Gamespy used to use will now be translated to point to Qtracker in order to emulate Gamespy authentication.  All other domains you browse on the internet will translate/work normally.
Update the Primary DNS on the network adapter you use for connecting to the internet (see "DNS Changes" section in url that follows), AND update your hosts file ("see "Hosts File Editing" section in url that follows):
http://www.qtracker.com/master-gamespy-hostfile.php
You don't really need all the entries, mainly the ones without game titles in them, but it doesn't hurt to have them all in there which is what I did. 

Now that you've updated your primary DNS, you will need to flush the DNS resolver cache: From the command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd") and at the prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns
If you want to confirm the changes are working properly, a quick test is, from the command prompt type: ping gpcm.gamespy.com and it should resolve to 65.112.87.186

UPnP: This is a setting in your router that needs to be DISABLED in order to get past the DirectPlay Test Host part of logging in to SFC3 Multiplayer Online.  In fact, it's a good idea to disable this anyway as it can be a security risk when Enabled.

If you are using DHCP for your internal IP address, you'll need to change it on your network adapter to a static IP.  This is so that certain ports on your router can be forwarded to a specific, non-changing internal IP address.

Set up port forwarding on your router for these ports: 47624 (TCP & UDP), 6073 (TCP & UDP), 2300-2400 (TCP & UDP) to forward to your static internal IP, whatever that may be (normally starts with 192.168.)

Windows firewall / Virus protection software: If you have one of these, set up an exception for SFC3 application (you should be able to just navigate to the sfc3.exe file in the application folder when setting up the exception)

Network Adapter Priority:  Make sure the network adapter you are using to connect to the internet is at the top.  This isn't always easy to find -- you have to go into your network connections / adapters, and go to Advanced.  Depending on the Windows version you're using, you may need to hit F10 to display the toolbar showing "Advanced".

Test it out... if all goes well, you will first get connected to the Access Server, get past the DirectPlay Test Host part, and be requested to login to Gamespy.  At this point you will need to populate the fields with new information (your old Gamespy account info won't work) and then click on "Create New Account".  Once your account is successfully created, click on "Login".
You should then be logged-in to see a list of any campaigns currently going on (my server is named "The Nexus") for you to join.  At this point in time, my server is the only one showing since I just got this all working. 

Also, if you want to eliminate the need to insert your game disc every time you launch it, you can go into your SFC3 game directory and edit sfc.ini by changing "makeitso = 0" TO "makeitso = 1".

Have fun.  I anticipate at first there will be few people playing, but over time we should be able to get more players from back in the day to join back up.

Beansolo
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:07:56 pm by Beansolo »

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Here's a screenshot of the Campaign Selector...

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Awesome!

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
This should work for all versions of SFC not just SFC III.  Excellent work Beansolo!

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
This could probably be built into CE.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
Oh man, this is awesome! Thanks, beansolo!

Offline Leermeister

• Lt. Junior Grade
Thanks, been looking for a dyanaverse server

Offline Leermeister

• Lt. Junior Grade
More should join the server and battle for the galaxy:)

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Leermeister - thanks for your post, and I look forward to seeing you in the SFC3 Dynaverse! 

If anyone has any issues following the steps I've outlined to get in, let me know.  My friend recently got a new laptop and upgraded to Windows 10, and it works fine with that platform too. 

Beansolo

Offline Leermeister

• Lt. Junior Grade
Leermeister - thanks for your post, and I look forward to seeing you in the SFC3 Dynaverse! 

If anyone has any issues following the steps I've outlined to get in, let me know.  My friend recently got a new laptop and upgraded to Windows 10, and it works fine with that platform too. 

Beansolo

Yes I usually Play in the Server Nexus 'The Neutral Zone' Since i cannot find the mod for the other one.  I play as the Klingons there but would be nice to have a couple federation captains  log in time to time and fly missions for their empire. Or a federation, Klingon, and a Romulan captain in the game. So that each empire has some type of intelligence in them. Can have a nice long ongoing game.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
*sigh *
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Why the sigh?
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Why the sigh?

I really like the idea of playing a multiplayer campaign. Gives some meaning to the battles.
And there's no such thing for CE or OP atm.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Well I loaded up the game and the patch, but not the directory change. Went through the tutorials and a skirmish.  I'm reminded why I haven't played it in years.

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hey Tobin,

Played a skirmish?  This post is about how the multiplayer online campaigns in the Dynaverse is now possible again.  That's where the real enjoyment of this game is at.  The more players the better.  You're missing out on all the dynamics and nuances of of the game if you're not jumping on the Dynaverse.  I love the fact the campaign rages on 24/7 until one of the races attain overall victory conditions.  With enough people clans are formed, and it's a blast to hunt down your enemies, fleet with your friends and/or AI ships, go for broke and risk your built up ship in battle, forge temporary alliances, etc.  When others are online playing at the same time, shooting chats and jabs back and forth is another entertaining aspect. 

I host only big maps, and enjoy long campaigns.  My friend and I like to use the map editor to create new and interesting maps for the Dynaverse to spice things up and add variety between some campaigns. 

Beansolo

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
So I've finally figured out how to actually log into the multiplayer campaign selector screen following the instructions in this post, but what I cant seem to figure out is how to host my own server.

I have the server kit downloaded and I've configured it to my needs, but when I try to launch the server, it crashes. Selecting option 2 (CentralSwitchPlusAllServers) crashes the server window and all other options do not start the server at all.

Is there any trick to setting up your own server? I'm on windows 8.1 if that helps....

Offline Matthias

• Ensign
Hi guys, I used to play way back in the day and I've been wanting this game back for so long and very excited to see SFC2 CE released. Bought it and supported it. But I really miss the multiplayer and want to join the fight, I've been doing a bit of reading but there seems to be some conflicting information on how to get connected to a server.

Would anyone mind helping me out a bit?

Does SFC2 CE even work with Dynaverse? Are there servers up for us?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Hey Tobin,

Played a skirmish?  This post is about how the multiplayer online campaigns in the Dynaverse is now possible again.  That's where the real enjoyment of this game is at.  The more players the better.  You're missing out on all the dynamics and nuances of of the game if you're not jumping on the Dynaverse.  I love the fact the campaign rages on 24/7 until one of the races attain overall victory conditions.  With enough people clans are formed, and it's a blast to hunt down your enemies, fleet with your friends and/or AI ships, go for broke and risk your built up ship in battle, forge temporary alliances, etc.  When others are online playing at the same time, shooting chats and jabs back and forth is another entertaining aspect. 

I host only big maps, and enjoy long campaigns.  My friend and I like to use the map editor to create new and interesting maps for the Dynaverse to spice things up and add variety between some campaigns. 

Beansolo

qtrackers win 7 instructions link info did not match what I was seeing after the first few steps.
1.Go to the Control Panel.
2.Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
3.Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. ...
4.Select the Networking tab. ...
5.Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. ...
6.Click OK.

first 2 steps went ok but after that...

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
VONFRANK:  Any luck yet getting the 534b server kit running on your Win 8.1 setup?  I have a dedicated tower for the game server running Windows XP and play on my laptop running Windows 7.  If you haven't already, you might try running it in Windows XP Service Pack 3 Compatibility mode.  If that doesn't work let me know -- my wife has Win 8.1 on her laptop so I'll get it going there and share the method.

TOBIN:  Thanks for posting your question so others can benefit as well.  I can see how you got a bit lost on those instructions linked from the Qtracker site (seems it just queries Google so may not be completely accurate).  Use these steps to setup your Primary DNS for Windows 7:

1. Go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
3. Right-click on the connection for which you want to configure (i.e. the internet connection you normally use), then select Properties
4. From the list of items click on the TCP/IP protocol your network adapter uses to connect to the internet (either TCP/IPv4 or TCP/IPv6), then click on the Properties button
5. Choose the radio button for "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and for the Preferred DNS Server type in 63.239.170.150
6. Click on "OK"

MATTHIAS:  I'd love to help, but I'm not familiar with SFC2.  Earlier up this post it seems Javora and Strat think it can be done.

Beansolo

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
And I think it can, but at this point I think the best way to do that is to either change the source code or hex edit the changes into the game itself.  I think this should be a high priority as having this problem solved will bring a lot more people back to this game.  Especially since Beansolo has already proven that it can work.