Topic: SFC3 Multiplayer Login Requires Gamespy Login - How to get past this? SOLVED!!  (Read 46248 times)

Offline outlaw78

• Ensign
If it is not possible anymore, I'll give up on hosting my own server... :(

UPDATE:
Just chatted with the dynaverse people on facebook.  They say the still host the directory services for SFC III so it should still be possible to at least connect to the server list, it would just be blank if no one is hosting one atm...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:31:13 pm by outlaw78 »

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
I was hosting a server for SFC3 Dynaverse campaign play using this solution up until Qtracker shut down their GameSpy emulation in August of last year.  Now, I plan to work on setting up my own GameSpy emulation (that I will offer for free, if I can get it working).  I have been researching it online and there are some open-source solutions available on GitHub that have been used for other GameSpy reliant multiplayer games, it just requires some adaptation for SFC3.

Beansolo.

Offline gregnator

• Ensign
How on earth can we still play campaign online on SFC 3?
I really really want to, super badly. IS it still possible, or is it 100% dead now?

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
So, this past weekend I discovered a new method to get multiplayer SFCIII Dynaverse working again online, and was able to successfully test it out  :)   So, would like to share the solution with the community in case anyone wants to host a server again.  I have been real busy with work lately, but plan to host a server again sometime soon. 

I may look into having a patcher utility take care of this and make it simpler, but for now here's how it's done.  If you don't already have SFCIII installed, or the server kit installed, You may want to refer to my initial post from 2015 at the top of this thread for steps on installing the game, patching, ports to open, etc.)

Using a hex editor (I use HxD), make these manual hex edits:

For the Client, within SFC3.exe:
Replace master.gamespy.com {there are 2 occurrences in the file} with master.openspy.net
Replace gpcm.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gpcm.openspy.net
Replace gpsp.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gpsp.openspy.net

For the SFC3 Server Kit:
Within \Assets\ValidatedClientFiles\SFC3.exe do the same edits as described for SFC3.exe above (this file needs to match the client file exactly)
Within serverplatform.exe:
Replace master.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with master.openspy.net
Within \Assets\ServerProfiles\chat.gf:
Replace peerchat.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with peerchat.openspy.net

When you go in for the first time and you get to the GameSpy login part, you will need to populate the fields with new information and then click on "Create New Account".  Once your account is successfully created, click on "Login".

Beansolo

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
So, this past weekend I discovered a new method to get multiplayer SFCIII Dynaverse working again online, and was able to successfully test it out  :) 

Hey Beansolo!  This...works?  Where do you get the SFC3 server kit from?  I'd be interested to play.

Does this create a PUBLICLY LISTED server ANYONE can join?  If so, are there any running now that I could simply connect to with my friends, or would I have to host one and be the only one up?

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
I haven't had time to keep a server up lately due to work, but it certainly worked for me a couple months back when I posted the solution.  Yes, if you set it up correctly it is a publicly listed server that anyone with the same SFCIII installation can join.  Last I checked a few weeks ago, there weren't any servers being hosted.

There other multiplayer games using the openspy solution too, which is how I found out about it by searching around the web.

I'd like to host a server again in a couple months or so when I'll have more free time.  I've heard from some others recently that are interested too, so there's the potential for getting enough players together to make it interesting.

The server kit can be downloaded from here: http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads/sfc3/Server_kits/SFC3_Beta_Server_Kit_Build_v534_b.exe

Beansolo.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
I haven't had time to keep a server up lately due to work, but it certainly worked for me a couple months back when I posted the solution.  Yes, if you set it up correctly it is a publicly listed server that anyone with the same SFCIII installation can join.  Last I checked a few weeks ago, there weren't any servers being hosted.

There other multiplayer games using the openspy solution too, which is how I found out about it by searching around the web.

I'd like to host a server again in a couple months or so when I'll have more free time.  I've heard from some others recently that are interested too, so there's the potential for getting enough players together to make it interesting.

The server kit can be downloaded from here: http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads/sfc3/Server_kits/SFC3_Beta_Server_Kit_Build_v534_b.exe

Beansolo.

Ugh, I'm so close to getting this to work.

I downloaded HxD and made the changes.  I launched the edited SFC3.exe and went to the online campaign login.  It successfully connected to the server.  I entered my email address/password/nickname and hit "Create New Account".

"Attempting to create user account...
Account successfully created!"

So then I hit "Login" and I get:

"Unable to find specified account."

If I hit "Create New Account" again, I get the same dialogue:

"Attempting to create user account...
Account successfully created!"

HOWEVER, if I change the password, I get "The password does not match the email address" when I hit Create New Account.

So it's clearly remembering my email/password.
So I can repeatedly create a new account as long as I use the same password...but I can't log in.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
The wheel has already been invented.
There is no need to hexedit the SFC3 client anymore, breaking binary compatibility.
It is as easy as to follow the steps bellow...

1. Install the SFC3 game from CD.
2. Install the v534b patch (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhJBes-6tQrtULn2xoQ)
3. Instal the SFC3 HD/gamespy patch (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhJA2rpG0rDKsixsdQw)
4. Install the server (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhJBcsr-OJN3-1yYhsA)
5. Download the SFC Launcher (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhK95VQISAFVVpH01pA)
   And use it to launch the client in any resolution up to 1980x1200, the server, or to use it to host any public or LAN game in the comfort of your home.
   You can also use it to log in to any public server, if needed.

But, you don't have to.
The hexeditor is a good tool.
I'm sure all people are comfortable with using it too, searching for offsets (because it only works the first time). The CRC checks also changes.
But it is a good exercise.
And why not?
People are reinventing the wheel all the time...
HD resolutions, LAN games, who cares, right?
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline PoleronCrow

• Lt. Junior Grade
@ d4v1ks  nobody cares about playing lan games.....public only your solution does nothing for that

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
@ d4v1ks  nobody cares about playing lan games.....public only your solution does nothing for that

See... you are already feeling better with yourself now.
Reinventing the wheel again never looked so comfortable.
At least you get busy trying figuring out what has already been done, and proved to be working, before.
Lets just ignore all the last years, and keep working on new solutions. :thumbsup:

Offline PoleronCrow

• Lt. Junior Grade
So, this past weekend I discovered a new method to get multiplayer SFCIII Dynaverse working again online, and was able to successfully test it out  :)   So, would like to share the solution with the community in case anyone wants to host a server again.  I have been real busy with work lately, but plan to host a server again sometime soon. 

I may look into having a patcher utility take care of this and make it simpler, but for now here's how it's done.  If you don't already have SFCIII installed, or the server kit installed, You may want to refer to my initial post from 2015 at the top of this thread for steps on installing the game, patching, ports to open, etc.)

Using a hex editor (I use HxD), make these manual hex edits:

For the Client, within SFC3.exe:
Replace master.gamespy.com {there are 2 occurrences in the file} with master.openspy.net
Replace gpcm.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gpcm.openspy.net
Replace gpsp.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gpsp.openspy.net

For the SFC3 Server Kit:
Within \Assets\ValidatedClientFiles\SFC3.exe do the same edits as described for SFC3.exe above (this file needs to match the client file exactly)
Within serverplatform.exe:
Replace master.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with master.openspy.net
Within \Assets\ServerProfiles\chat.gf:
Replace peerchat.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with peerchat.openspy.net

When you go in for the first time and you get to the GameSpy login part, you will need to populate the fields with new information and then click on "Create New Account".  Once your account is successfully created, click on "Login".

Beansolo

yup that works Beansolo thanks ..wish i had a second pc to host a server..thanks for the solution..

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
The wheel has already been invented.
There is no need to hexedit the SFC3 client anymore, breaking binary compatibility.
It is as easy as to follow the steps bellow...

1. Install the SFC3 game from CD.
2. Install the v534b patch (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhJBes-6tQrtULn2xoQ)
3. Instal the SFC3 HD/gamespy patch (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhJA2rpG0rDKsixsdQw)
4. Install the server (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhJBcsr-OJN3-1yYhsA)
5. Download the SFC Launcher (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiumJZOPROpbhK95VQISAFVVpH01pA)
   And use it to launch the client in any resolution up to 1980x1200, the server, or to use it to host any public or LAN game in the comfort of your home.
   You can also use it to log in to any public server, if needed.

But, you don't have to.
The hexeditor is a good tool.
I'm sure all people are comfortable with using it too, searching for offsets (because it only works the first time). The CRC checks also changes.
But it is a good exercise.
And why not?
People are reinventing the wheel all the time...
HD resolutions, LAN games, who cares, right?

Does this work to get on public servers if you skip step 4?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
If you have a compatible server and services running elsewhere, then yes.