Topic: The great Windows 10 compatibility thread  (Read 65222 times)

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: The great Windows 10 compatibility thread
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 11:09:34 am »
Yes, I can play the game with no problems until I play a plasma race or a plasma race is played against me.  At PB range, it seems that a plasma is fired and the game locks.  As to why I let a plasma race fire at me at PB range well....... :crazy2:

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:20 am »
I did some runs, and was hable to fire plasmas at range < 1.0 without any problems in SFC CE.
What race and ship are you using when it crashes?
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 11:45:34 am »
I believe it was Fed (against Rom) and ISC against some nameless bandit of some sort.  I don't know the version but considering I just purchased it from this site a few days ago, I would imagine it has the latest patch.  I will see if I can find the ver number tonight.  And I have to admit that my sample size is only 2 and that I am only playing the CE single player campaigns.  I have not fooled around with Skirmish or Dynaverse (what's a Dynaverse?  Can I have one?  :laugh:), although, if I recall, one of the tutorials similarly crashed.  I have not really had a trouble shooters eye towards this so it is rather anecdotal at this point.  i will try to be more attentive and let you know here what I see.

Thanks for responding quickly guys!  Obviously I am new to this software and my IT skills rather limited but I will do the best I can to scope this out........

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:58:47 am »
If you are just playing the campaigns then probably its that mission TarMinyatur talked about, that is bugged.
You can fix that by installing this patch we created this year, that fix the single player campaings.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394407.msg1123051003.html#msg1123051003

Apart from that, yes that are some times where the game will randomly crash. But overall its ok.  ;)

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 12:33:52 pm »
I will do so.  And the crash itself seems to be inconvenient at worst since there seems to be an automatically saved game from just before the combat.  That function seems to be working well so far, so the crash is annoying but not a complete time waster - which it would since this seems to be one of those games that has no save game function.  The game itself is very good and, as an old SFB guy, for a real time implementation, it is still good.  Although, I will echo what someone else said.....I do miss the turn phase charts.  Those were a huge part of the tactical enjoyment of the SFB game design.  Thanks again!  i will post here to let you know if those crashes disappear after implementing the patch.......

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 03:43:31 pm »
Well, I cannot find a version number nor can a find a save game option.  Where would you find those?

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »
 :crazy2:

version 2.6.6.0 and nevermind about the save game button.  It just didn't slap me upside the head the first time.  I will update via the link sent and see if that takes care of it.  Thanks again!

Offline thomasrolling

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 11:10:31 am »
Hello, just found this forum recently after I found my old copy of SFC 3 and decided to install it again. I'm playing on a Win 10 machine with screen resolution 1360x768. I downloaded the .dll fix from JanB and it got the game running and seems good to go. My question is, since it runs in windowed mode, is there any way to center the window it runs in? The game loads normally and when I get into an actual mission the bottom of the screen is cut off. As in I can't see the speed indicator or access the bottom buttons in the damage control/shield display. I tried adjusting the resolution on my monitor and moving the windows taskbar over to the right but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Has anyone else had this issue? It's nice to get the game going but sort of a bummer when about 1/8 of the screen is cut off.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »
I tried adjusting the resolution on my monitor and moving the windows taskbar over to the right but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Has anyone else had this issue? It's nice to get the game going but sort of a bummer when about 1/8 of the screen is cut off.

Give a try on the HD patch that was made for SFC3.
I gives you the opportunity of running your game in 1360x768 (windowed mode)

Order in wich you should install things:

1. Install game from CD
2. Install 534 beta patch

http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads.php?id=50&game=SFC%203#download

3. Install SFC3 HD patch (16:9)

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394493.0.html

4. Open your SFC.INI file, and make sure "resmode=0"

Offline thomasrolling

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »
Thank you for the prompt reply. I went into the ini file and set resmode=-1 and that fixed it. Game looks good now  :)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »
I was been tormented by the lack of perfomance of the SFC games in Windows 10.
I recently upgraded my computer to a much faster machine, and while the game runs smoothly without any problems or compatibility modes, the game in full HD was running in a painful ~10 fps (full screen).
I really hated the idea of running in window mode + software mode, just to extract some aditional fps, while in the process was cutting some visual quality.

Then, for my surprise, and contrary to the ideia i had in my mind for several months, i realized that i had overlooked one simple setting...
Why i didn't tested this before?
Dunno if any of you is using it already...
But my fps jumped to a stable 60 Fps in windows mode with hardware acceleration enabled !?
I was surprised by how the setting in the image below made such a diference...
So i had to share it with who don't know it already.

I'm sorry if i misguided anyone in relation to these settings...
I also recommend that you read these excellent tips from FireSoul on how to take advantage of modern hardware.

I'm like.. what the #$%#$&...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:08:53 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 09:21:52 pm »
That is great, Carlos. 60fps ought to cut the mustard.

Online Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »
fixed my issues - maybe if ya'll do another patch think about doing a OS check an incorporate for windows 10?
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 08:02:26 pm »
Reproduced from THIS thread, but pertinent for Win10 compatibility, at least for Orion Pirates!
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394481.100.html

Okay BIG successes to report I think!
My laptop runs Win10 x86, with native desktop at 1920x1080 resolution.

Installing off the OP CD led to only seeing the graphic with the INSTALL button, which, when clicked, would cause the window to disappear showing the desktop but no install.

Using ISO had the same result.

Trying to copy files from the ISO to a folder on the laptop gave me the .cab files off the disk, but I was unable to expand them.

So, went to a different XP machine and installed OP from the CD, but chose a folder path to emulate what I wanted on my Win10 laptop: ( C:\User\[My name]\Documents\my games ). Incidental note: I did NOT install Gamespy Arcade stuff. This created the default folder substructure but in my Documents folder, ie C:\User\[My name]\Documents\my games\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates .

I copied that entire folder, folder tree and all (including appropriate subfolders), to a USB drive from the XP PC.

I THEN used regedit on the XP to find [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Taldren\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates]
"Directory"="C:\\Users\\[My name]\\Documents\\my games\\Taldren Software Inc.\\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates", which I selected, and in "File" menu, selected "Export" to save it as file "Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.reg". I copied THAT reg file onto the USB drive as well as the intact extracted folder tree from the SFC OP install.

I ejected the USB drive and brought it to the laptop.  I copied the "Users\[My name]\Documents\my games\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates" folder from the USB onto my laptop's C: drive, leaving the entire subfolder structure INTACT.

I copied the Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.reg file from USB onto my desktop. Double-clicked on it and OKAYED the installation of the entry into my registry of the Win10 laptop.

For the heck of it, I then ran StarFleetOP.exe to see what would happen. Lo and behold, I got a full screen but low res launch of SFC OP v2500.  I launched the first tutorial, and it was working... for about five minutes, then FROZE. Oh, well...

But I kept on.  I moved the downloaded and unzipped SFCOP 2500-2562.exe patch to the Starfleet Command Orion Pirates folder, ran it, and directed the patch upon the prompt to the proper directory.

i then ran StarFleetOP.exe one again. This time, I got an upper left corner black window on the desktop, and nothing else. No sound, images, or anything. I closed the process with Task Manager.

I THEN performed the 60fps adjustments to StarfleetOP.exe Properties>Compatibility Tab>Settings, ticked the Reduced Color box & set the pulldow bar to 16-bit color.
I also edited sfc.ini under the [3D] section to lowres=6, which corresponds to my desktop resolution as per:
lowres=3  (1366x768 or 1440x900)
lowres=5  (1600x900 or 1680x1050)
lowres=6  (1920x1080 or 1920x1200)

Then, expecting nothing, I clicked StarFleetOP.exe again and...
...OMG it works! I ran the same first tutorial, and kept it running for 10-15minutes without crash.

I still have to install firesoul OP4+.
Carlos, you using firesoul OP4+ with or without models?

And PAGING CAPTAIN ADAM! I need to get the improved space textures PLEASE!

I'm psyched that I THINK this got it working!

Excuse length of post, but I wanted to share, and hopefully get others going in the right direction.  Thanks, Carlos!!!!

PS - Not joking about Captain Adam.  I NEEDS those textures!!!!!

Offline Captain Spadaro

• should know better by now
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 11:00:12 am »
I was been tormented by the lack of perfomance of the SFC games in Windows 10.
I recently upgraded my computer to a much faster machine, and while the game runs smoothly without any problems or compatibility modes, the game in full HD was running in a painful ~10 fps (full screen).
I really hated the idea of running in window mode + software mode, just to extract some aditional fps, while in the process was cutting some visual quality.

Then, for my surprise, and contrary to the ideia i had in my mind for several months, i realized that i had overlooked one simple setting...
Why i didn't tested this before?
Dunno if any of you is using it already...
But my fps jumped to a stable 60 Fps in windows mode with hardware acceleration enabled !?
I was surprised by how the setting in the image below made such a diference...
So i had to share it with who don't know it already.

I'm sorry if i misguided anyone in relation to these settings...
I also recommend that you read these excellent tips from FireSoul on how to take advantage of modern hardware.

I'm like.. what the #$%#$&...

I tried this (as well as installing the 2563 patch), and it still isn't working.
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »
You don't need any of that. Just go to your SFC game's directory (whether it's SFC 1, SFC 2 EAW, SFC 2 CE or SFC OP), open sfc.ini with Notepad, find the "async=1" entry and change it to "async=0". Early game crashing fixed.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 03:35:07 pm »
You don't need any of that. Just go to your SFC game's directory (whether it's SFC 1, SFC 2 EAW, SFC 2 CE or SFC OP), open sfc.ini with Notepad, find the "async=1" entry and change it to "async=0". Early game crashing fixed.
It's already set at 0.
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 07:17:28 am »

It's already set at 0.

But it's true.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 02:45:51 pm »
I had some problems recently, after updating my desktop to a fresh Windows 10 "Creators Update" installation.
The game was starting well, but crashing after some seconds...
But fear not!
There is a way to solve it!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:11:34 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline agathosdaimon

• Ensign
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 02:47:08 am »
Hi

I am unable to get SFC3 to start at all on windows 10, i have added whatever patches i can but nothing works -

also i have SFC 2 eaw and it starts but crashes atfter a few minutes in game

i have orion pirates also but i think it might be working okay, no crash yet

also the in battle UI is confined to the top left of my screen, how do i make teh UI full screen to fit the 3d battle screen