Topic: The great Windows 10 compatibility thread  (Read 65713 times)

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
The great Windows 10 compatibility thread
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:27:56 am »
So I recently upgraded to Windows 10 (clean install) from Windows 7 and now Starfleet Command 3 doesn't run anymore. Of course I didn't expect it to since the game didn't run on Windows 8.1 either, the game has the same "black screen but mouse visible and audio on" issue as it did under Windows 8.1. No, what's worse is that my compatibility fix for Windows 8.1 (attached to this post) resulted in a crash directly on launch of the SFC3exe, just like it would on Windows 7 (but luckily the game didn't need a compatibility fix under Windows 7 anyway).

Right now there is no way to play SFC3 on Windows 10 because the small changes between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 apparently made my fix not work anymore. I'm playing around with dll files to see if I can find a new fix but no luck so far and I may not find anything. Of course there is the hope that at some point in the future (perhaps by 2025) we might get Win XP emulators that are just as light (compared to the main OS of the day) and easy to use as Dosbox is today. There is also a tiny chance that future updates for Windows 10 will bring back whatever it was that made my compatibility fix work on Windows 8.1, but I don't think we should be holding our breath...

If you read this thread, could you tell me if the game worked for you on Windows 10, or, if you have the necessary know-how help me find a compatibility fix for Windows 10?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: The great Windows 10 compatibility thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:20:59 am »
I have read that some people have had luck with running SFC in Win7 compatibility mode.  Have you tried that yet?  If there is more than one then I would try them all and see which one works the best or if any of them work at all.  Hope this helps.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:56:24 am »
Of course I tried that, btw on my old Windows 7 installation I didn't need compatibility settings to run the game. Windows 10 for some reason has different DX9 files than Windows 8.1 so my fix for Windows 8.1 doesn't work either, quite annoying.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:23:24 am »
I think I figured it out! I've gotten it to run under Windows 10 with a different version of d3d8.dll in the game's directory. The fix is attached. Just as under Windows 8.1 the game will only run in windowed mode, but at least it runs.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:37:37 pm »
 thanks Jan. Not on Win10 yet but will be on one pc soon, and I've been meaning to try SFC3 install on 8.1 anyways

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:42:36 am »
You're welcome, I expected Windows 10 to put up much more of a fight than it did. I'm just glad I an still play the game on my new PC.

Btw, if you use these compatibility fixes without my mod then you might want to set "BlueLight=1" to BlueLight=0" in the SFC.ini file, otherwise you will have blue phasers instead of yellow phasers.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:25:23 am »
Anyone have any luck getting OP to work in 10?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »
If the problem you encounter with SFC:OP is a black screen with music playing in the background then there's a fair chance my fix will work for it too. Put the d3d8.dll file in the game's directory and run the game in windowed mode (in SFC3 you do this by setting "windowed=1" in SFC.ini).

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 02:26:24 pm »
If the problem you encounter with SFC:OP is a black screen with music playing in the background then there's a fair chance my fix will work for it too. Put the d3d8.dll file in the game's directory and run the game in windowed mode (in SFC3 you do this by setting "windowed=1" in SFC.ini).

Will that work at 32 bit color?   I don't seem to be able to drop to 16 bit on my Surface.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 02:52:15 pm »
Will that work at 32 bit color?   I don't seem to be able to drop to 16 bit on my Surface.

Only one way to find out I guess... You can set the game to run in 16bit color mode using compatibility settings, but I didn't have to do that to get SFC3 to work.

Offline gilderan

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 02:16:50 am »
Hi all, has anyone had problems even getting the setup.exe to run. On my win 10 system, I have executed it with Win XP SP 2 compatibility on but nothing seems to happen. I can see it running as a background process on task manager though.
[Edit] I purchased SFC CE and installs sweetly (once I RTFM and used MagicISO to extract the iso:) )
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:56:52 am by gilderan »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 07:15:38 am »
Atm i can comfirm that sfc2eaw, sfc2ce and sfcop run perfectly in windows 10, without any trick or compability mode. You just need to install in a "safe" folder and make a small tweak on sfc.ini

It works!
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 08:33:15 am »
Can I load from set up on the cd or do I need to take the program off the cd and then do the set up in the Safe folder ?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 08:35:45 am »
I installed all from iso files i have on my backup hard-drive. All setup run without problems in my case.

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 08:21:26 pm »
Atm i can comfirm that sfc2eaw, sfc2ce and sfcop run perfectly in windows 10, without any trick or compability mode. You just need to install in a "safe" folder and make a small tweak on sfc.ini

It works!

Any hint on what that small tweak is?

BTW: Thanks to the folks here, I am ALOT closer to making this run.

I had a HD crash, so I was "forced" to upgrade to Win10. And upgrade the graphics card. And get a new box.. . but I digress... .

Installation from the original CD was a disaster, but I brute copied all the files from my old drive/box to the "Documents" folder on the new rig.
I have the game fired up with the proper aspect ratio.
BUT.. . it seems like the game pukes at some point during battle.
    I think it doesn't like the high res model files I used to run. . .
    I suspect I need top do something with the NVidia control panel (that is how I got the aspect ratio to work)

. . . any clues appreciated.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 08:29:14 pm »
[Mouse]
async=0
hwblit=0

remove the gameplay spikes.

Offline zerosnark

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 08:36:57 pm »
Hey! Thanks so much. . . I just found that in another thread.

The spikes seemed to actually bomb the whole program.....most annoying; as I couldn't bring up task manager to terminate the program.

It seemed to be working in the one game I tried... . .until I tapped the windows key. . . .   more experimentation to follow.

Edit:
    Yes, I definitely have it working now.

I cannot tell you guys how happy this makes me  :D

Frankly, I was sort of dreading Windows10 because I was afraid it would break this game -> so when my hard drive crashed, I was most irritated.
    (win 7 re-install in 2015 to a fresh drive seemed like a questionable way to go for non-SFC:OP reasons)

I was rather dismayed that I could not install from the original disk; but FORTUNATELY, I learned from someone that I could simply copy all the files from the old drive. . . put in the CD key. . .and go.
    OK -> now have added the entire game folder to my "clean install archive".
    Which helps. . . .I have a LARGE number of models from back in the day that I like to use :)

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:03:31 pm by zerosnark »

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 08:54:59 am »
I am not certain if this is Windows 10 issue or a bug.  I have now had SFC: CE crash on me several times and it seems to be fairly consistent around the use of plasmas at range 0-1.  I have set the .ini files as recommended and have the game in a "safe" location.  This one problem, though, seems to persist.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 09:25:44 am »
You say that you can start the game, play without any problems, and when you fire plasma at range 0-1 the game crashes?
If you don't play with a ship with plasma everything is ok?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 10:56:16 am »
We may have found our first bug related to all the alterations made to the CE. Tar, did you implement the Plasma changes/or point defense changes in the latest patch?

A) it could be Plasmas or b) it could be a result of the other ship attempting to PD the plasma.

Idk. Just throwing ideas out there, I recommend you play a non plasma race and see if it happens. Then recreate the circumstances of the first incident. Need more info.

I didn't change a single byte in the plasma point defense function. I allowed the player, via the SFC_Editor, to redirect the flow within that function, jumping to the "do nothing" decision that already exists.

Unofficial patch 2.675 is vanilla. It doesn't touch the PD function.

AScout1, what version of CE are you playing? Does it crash in a skirmish? Does it crash in the Dynaverse campaign? If you are playing a 2.670 campaign, then you may be encountering the bug that always crashes the game when you are about to destroy an Orion Pirate ship (with your point-blank Plasmas, for example) in a specific Patrol mission. 2.675 removes this bugged mission.

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 11:09:34 am »
Yes, I can play the game with no problems until I play a plasma race or a plasma race is played against me.  At PB range, it seems that a plasma is fired and the game locks.  As to why I let a plasma race fire at me at PB range well....... :crazy2:

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:10:20 am »
I did some runs, and was hable to fire plasmas at range < 1.0 without any problems in SFC CE.
What race and ship are you using when it crashes?

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 11:45:34 am »
I believe it was Fed (against Rom) and ISC against some nameless bandit of some sort.  I don't know the version but considering I just purchased it from this site a few days ago, I would imagine it has the latest patch.  I will see if I can find the ver number tonight.  And I have to admit that my sample size is only 2 and that I am only playing the CE single player campaigns.  I have not fooled around with Skirmish or Dynaverse (what's a Dynaverse?  Can I have one?  :laugh:), although, if I recall, one of the tutorials similarly crashed.  I have not really had a trouble shooters eye towards this so it is rather anecdotal at this point.  i will try to be more attentive and let you know here what I see.

Thanks for responding quickly guys!  Obviously I am new to this software and my IT skills rather limited but I will do the best I can to scope this out........

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:58:47 am »
If you are just playing the campaigns then probably its that mission TarMinyatur talked about, that is bugged.
You can fix that by installing this patch we created this year, that fix the single player campaings.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394407.msg1123051003.html#msg1123051003

Apart from that, yes that are some times where the game will randomly crash. But overall its ok.  ;)

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 12:33:52 pm »
I will do so.  And the crash itself seems to be inconvenient at worst since there seems to be an automatically saved game from just before the combat.  That function seems to be working well so far, so the crash is annoying but not a complete time waster - which it would since this seems to be one of those games that has no save game function.  The game itself is very good and, as an old SFB guy, for a real time implementation, it is still good.  Although, I will echo what someone else said.....I do miss the turn phase charts.  Those were a huge part of the tactical enjoyment of the SFB game design.  Thanks again!  i will post here to let you know if those crashes disappear after implementing the patch.......

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 03:43:31 pm »
Well, I cannot find a version number nor can a find a save game option.  Where would you find those?

Offline AScout1

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »
 :crazy2:

version 2.6.6.0 and nevermind about the save game button.  It just didn't slap me upside the head the first time.  I will update via the link sent and see if that takes care of it.  Thanks again!

Offline thomasrolling

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 11:10:31 am »
Hello, just found this forum recently after I found my old copy of SFC 3 and decided to install it again. I'm playing on a Win 10 machine with screen resolution 1360x768. I downloaded the .dll fix from JanB and it got the game running and seems good to go. My question is, since it runs in windowed mode, is there any way to center the window it runs in? The game loads normally and when I get into an actual mission the bottom of the screen is cut off. As in I can't see the speed indicator or access the bottom buttons in the damage control/shield display. I tried adjusting the resolution on my monitor and moving the windows taskbar over to the right but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Has anyone else had this issue? It's nice to get the game going but sort of a bummer when about 1/8 of the screen is cut off.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »
I tried adjusting the resolution on my monitor and moving the windows taskbar over to the right but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Has anyone else had this issue? It's nice to get the game going but sort of a bummer when about 1/8 of the screen is cut off.

Give a try on the HD patch that was made for SFC3.
I gives you the opportunity of running your game in 1360x768 (windowed mode)

Order in wich you should install things:

1. Install game from CD
2. Install 534 beta patch

http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads.php?id=50&game=SFC%203#download

3. Install SFC3 HD patch (16:9)

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394493.0.html

4. Open your SFC.INI file, and make sure "resmode=0"

Offline thomasrolling

• Ensign
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »
Thank you for the prompt reply. I went into the ini file and set resmode=-1 and that fixed it. Game looks good now  :)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »
I was been tormented by the lack of perfomance of the SFC games in Windows 10.
I recently upgraded my computer to a much faster machine, and while the game runs smoothly without any problems or compatibility modes, the game in full HD was running in a painful ~10 fps (full screen).
I really hated the idea of running in window mode + software mode, just to extract some aditional fps, while in the process was cutting some visual quality.

Then, for my surprise, and contrary to the ideia i had in my mind for several months, i realized that i had overlooked one simple setting...
Why i didn't tested this before?
Dunno if any of you is using it already...
But my fps jumped to a stable 60 Fps in windows mode with hardware acceleration enabled !?
I was surprised by how the setting in the image below made such a diference...
So i had to share it with who don't know it already.

I'm sorry if i misguided anyone in relation to these settings...
I also recommend that you read these excellent tips from FireSoul on how to take advantage of modern hardware.

I'm like.. what the #$%#$&...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:08:53 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 09:21:52 pm »
That is great, Carlos. 60fps ought to cut the mustard.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »
fixed my issues - maybe if ya'll do another patch think about doing a OS check an incorporate for windows 10?
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 08:02:26 pm »
Reproduced from THIS thread, but pertinent for Win10 compatibility, at least for Orion Pirates!
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394481.100.html

Okay BIG successes to report I think!
My laptop runs Win10 x86, with native desktop at 1920x1080 resolution.

Installing off the OP CD led to only seeing the graphic with the INSTALL button, which, when clicked, would cause the window to disappear showing the desktop but no install.

Using ISO had the same result.

Trying to copy files from the ISO to a folder on the laptop gave me the .cab files off the disk, but I was unable to expand them.

So, went to a different XP machine and installed OP from the CD, but chose a folder path to emulate what I wanted on my Win10 laptop: ( C:\User\[My name]\Documents\my games ). Incidental note: I did NOT install Gamespy Arcade stuff. This created the default folder substructure but in my Documents folder, ie C:\User\[My name]\Documents\my games\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates .

I copied that entire folder, folder tree and all (including appropriate subfolders), to a USB drive from the XP PC.

I THEN used regedit on the XP to find [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Taldren\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates]
"Directory"="C:\\Users\\[My name]\\Documents\\my games\\Taldren Software Inc.\\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates", which I selected, and in "File" menu, selected "Export" to save it as file "Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.reg". I copied THAT reg file onto the USB drive as well as the intact extracted folder tree from the SFC OP install.

I ejected the USB drive and brought it to the laptop.  I copied the "Users\[My name]\Documents\my games\Taldren Software Inc\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates" folder from the USB onto my laptop's C: drive, leaving the entire subfolder structure INTACT.

I copied the Starfleet Command Orion Pirates.reg file from USB onto my desktop. Double-clicked on it and OKAYED the installation of the entry into my registry of the Win10 laptop.

For the heck of it, I then ran StarFleetOP.exe to see what would happen. Lo and behold, I got a full screen but low res launch of SFC OP v2500.  I launched the first tutorial, and it was working... for about five minutes, then FROZE. Oh, well...

But I kept on.  I moved the downloaded and unzipped SFCOP 2500-2562.exe patch to the Starfleet Command Orion Pirates folder, ran it, and directed the patch upon the prompt to the proper directory.

i then ran StarFleetOP.exe one again. This time, I got an upper left corner black window on the desktop, and nothing else. No sound, images, or anything. I closed the process with Task Manager.

I THEN performed the 60fps adjustments to StarfleetOP.exe Properties>Compatibility Tab>Settings, ticked the Reduced Color box & set the pulldow bar to 16-bit color.
I also edited sfc.ini under the [3D] section to lowres=6, which corresponds to my desktop resolution as per:
lowres=3  (1366x768 or 1440x900)
lowres=5  (1600x900 or 1680x1050)
lowres=6  (1920x1080 or 1920x1200)

Then, expecting nothing, I clicked StarFleetOP.exe again and...
...OMG it works! I ran the same first tutorial, and kept it running for 10-15minutes without crash.

I still have to install firesoul OP4+.
Carlos, you using firesoul OP4+ with or without models?

And PAGING CAPTAIN ADAM! I need to get the improved space textures PLEASE!

I'm psyched that I THINK this got it working!

Excuse length of post, but I wanted to share, and hopefully get others going in the right direction.  Thanks, Carlos!!!!

PS - Not joking about Captain Adam.  I NEEDS those textures!!!!!

Offline Captain Spadaro

• should know better by now
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 11:00:12 am »
I was been tormented by the lack of perfomance of the SFC games in Windows 10.
I recently upgraded my computer to a much faster machine, and while the game runs smoothly without any problems or compatibility modes, the game in full HD was running in a painful ~10 fps (full screen).
I really hated the idea of running in window mode + software mode, just to extract some aditional fps, while in the process was cutting some visual quality.

Then, for my surprise, and contrary to the ideia i had in my mind for several months, i realized that i had overlooked one simple setting...
Why i didn't tested this before?
Dunno if any of you is using it already...
But my fps jumped to a stable 60 Fps in windows mode with hardware acceleration enabled !?
I was surprised by how the setting in the image below made such a diference...
So i had to share it with who don't know it already.

I'm sorry if i misguided anyone in relation to these settings...
I also recommend that you read these excellent tips from FireSoul on how to take advantage of modern hardware.

I'm like.. what the #$%#$&...

I tried this (as well as installing the 2563 patch), and it still isn't working.
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »
You don't need any of that. Just go to your SFC game's directory (whether it's SFC 1, SFC 2 EAW, SFC 2 CE or SFC OP), open sfc.ini with Notepad, find the "async=1" entry and change it to "async=0". Early game crashing fixed.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 03:35:07 pm »
You don't need any of that. Just go to your SFC game's directory (whether it's SFC 1, SFC 2 EAW, SFC 2 CE or SFC OP), open sfc.ini with Notepad, find the "async=1" entry and change it to "async=0". Early game crashing fixed.
It's already set at 0.
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 07:17:28 am »

It's already set at 0.

But it's true.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 02:45:51 pm »
I had some problems recently, after updating my desktop to a fresh Windows 10 "Creators Update" installation.
The game was starting well, but crashing after some seconds...
But fear not!
There is a way to solve it!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:11:34 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline agathosdaimon

• Ensign
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 02:47:08 am »
Hi

I am unable to get SFC3 to start at all on windows 10, i have added whatever patches i can but nothing works -

also i have SFC 2 eaw and it starts but crashes atfter a few minutes in game

i have orion pirates also but i think it might be working okay, no crash yet

also the in battle UI is confined to the top left of my screen, how do i make teh UI full screen to fit the 3d battle screen

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 12:37:24 pm »

If you are using the unofficial 2563 patch then it is always a good sign. ^^

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 01:08:45 pm »
Hi

I am unable to get SFC3 to start at all on windows 10, i have added whatever patches i can but nothing works -

also i have SFC 2 eaw and it starts but crashes atfter a few minutes in game

also the in battle UI is confined to the top left of my screen, how do i make teh UI full screen to fit the 3d battle screen

I provided a link that some have been able to use that allows SFC:III to work with Windows 10.   If it works, great!  The link also has a couple of mods to try out.

http://www.moddb.com/members/aldaja
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline wb70

• Ensign
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 04:16:27 am »
Hi,
Maybe you can help  ;)

SFC:EAW - Windows 10, obviously, runs fine, got 2036 and 2037 patches installed plus async=0 ini file mod.

Running in Windowed mode makes it a tiny litttle screen, so that's no fix, and 16-bit colour makes no differencey but I have the following probs:

1) General crashing
2) Background space colour is pale blue for the Klingons, and difficult to see anything (maybe the other non-Fed races too?).
3) If I could play at a higher res AND get the UI to scale that would be great.

All help appreciated  :D

Will.

PS: Just installed the CE patch and it won't run at all now :(, maybe it's not compatible :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:55:35 am by wb70 »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 09:49:25 am »
If I could play at a higher res AND get the UI to scale that would be great.

All help appreciated  :D

Will.

Hello Will,
If you wish to play at higher resolutions you should visit the topic bellow:

https://hotandspicyforums.com/sfc2-empires-at-war-unofficial-patch-2-037-t20068.html#p212438

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 10:55:31 pm »
Hi folks!

Yes, it's been quite a while since I logged in .. glad to see there's still some life here :) Problem is, if you can no longer get the game to work, there's not much point to it..

On that note, I'm happy to report that today I was able to successfully get SFC-OP going again today, thanks to this thread. So thanks for all the tips here! Now I can enjoy my favorite game again.

It's too bad that I can only play in windowed mode, it's kinda weird. Now, here's a strange problem I have. I have 3 versions of EZ-INI but it seems that none of them are able to edit the sfc.ini file. I don't know if that's a thing now... I can't imagine that it is. All I really want to do is get the volley damage to show, but I can't remember how to do it manually.

BTW, is there still an online player service available, like Gamespy used to do?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2018, 03:29:30 pm »
sfc.ini

[debug]
vollyinfo=1

Yes, volley is spelled incorrectly as volly. That will show the last three occurrences of hull damage on the reticle's upper-left corner.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2018, 03:49:06 pm »

BTW, is there still an online player service available, like Gamespy used to do?

EvolveHQ parties work. But nobody is there. Gameranger might have 2 players for SFCOP.

Multiplayer competition was active a couple years ago: https://hotandspicyforums.com/multiplayer-competition-cycle-5-june-25-to-july-31-t18877.html

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 09:25:28 pm »
That did the trick- thanks!  Funny, I realized today that I should have been running the EZINI in WinXP compatible mode (haven't tried it yet, but makes sense)

I'll have to check out Gameranger sometime.. nice videos of game matches! Thoroughly enjoyed the show :D
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:19 am »
You're welcome, Komodo.

EZini won't work perfectly with the 2.037 and 2.564 versions. High Def resolutions (widescreen) are chosen in sfc.ini through new height and width entries, instead of an arbitrary integer for "lowres". This way the CRC checks will be identical for all players, regardless of screen resolution. The custom data is external to Starfleet*.exe.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2018, 01:04:34 am »
cool

Offline El_Capitan_4

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 09:59:14 am »
Just followed every fix on here and I am happy to report I played through multiple skirmishes and it is still running strong!!!

Thanks everybody

Offline wingnut

• Ensign
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 02:25:35 am »
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to run SFC3 on a Windows 10 Laptop and thanks to the updated .dll and running in window mode the game actually starts but in the actual battle any ships are not visible and the text boxes (tutorial messages, Comms menu...) are corrupted.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2019, 12:21:44 pm »
That is weird. I am surprised that the text messages are corrupted.

Are you using the widescreen patch?

Offline wingnut

• Ensign
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 01:47:12 am »
No, I'm not using a widescreen patch - should I?

I'm using this [ur=http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-starfleet-command-3/downloads/sfc3-windows-10-compatibility-fixl]Windows 10 compatibility fix[/url] and the SFC3 534_b beta patch.

In addition I tried a couple of compatibility settings for the executable in Windows and played around with some of the .ini settings of the game.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 07:26:55 am »
Yes. Especially if you want to play multiplayer campaigns or take advantage of 1080x1920 resolution and HiDef textures.

The SFC_Launcher will adjust your sfc.ini properly.

https://hotandspicyforums.com/new-dynaverse-player-quick-start-guide-t26620.html

Offline wingnut

• Ensign
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »
Alright, I did a fresh installation. After installing the beta patch and the Open GL HD patch the text and ships are visible just fine!

Thank you for your help  :)

Offline ThatBillmanGuy

• DavidthyncAJ
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 02:07:14 pm »
Alright, I did a fresh installation. After installing the beta patch and the Open GL HD patch the text and ships are visible just fine!

Thank you for your help  :)

WHERE did you find this? I've googled, and all I'm finding is Minecraft fixes.

Offline dfinan@charter.net

• Ensign
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2020, 11:00:31 am »
I am having issue getting Star Fleet Command Orion Pirates to run on my system I have installed the patch and developers kit . When I launch the game I get the intro as normal, when I escape out of it or when it completes I get an error, The procedure entry point MiniDumpWriteDump could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0346830.inf_amd64_35731e557194973d\B345901\atiumag.dll I am running a 2 monitor system have left the game in full screen mode as opposed to windowed in the .ini file. I am using a Ryzen 2 process and a Vega video card. Any suggestions to get this working would be appreciated really want to play this game again.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2020, 11:56:13 am »
I am having issue getting Star Fleet Command Orion Pirates to run on my system I have installed the patch and developers kit . When I launch the game I get the intro as normal, when I escape out of it or when it completes I get an error, The procedure entry point MiniDumpWriteDump could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0346830.inf_amd64_35731e557194973d\B345901\atiumag.dll I am running a 2 monitor system have left the game in full screen mode as opposed to windowed in the .ini file. I am using a Ryzen 2 process and a Vega video card. Any suggestions to get this working would be appreciated really want to play this game again.

Check if installing the package bellow helps you with your issue

https://hotandspicyforums.com/dgvoodoo-reshade-jan2020-t27492.html

• Ensign
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2020, 02:14:28 pm »
I went to that link downloaded it but the .rar file didnt have an SFClauncher in it?

• Ensign
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2020, 02:46:14 pm »
Ok found the launcher, used it same issues. Someone helped get rid of the entry point errors. So now regardless of how I launch the program (using the launcher or sfop.exe) the intro video with paramount, interplay , taldren, 14 degrees east plays. When it ends the screen blinks several times and I am back at the dektop with no game open (havent even put in my key yet). Thanks for all the help so far, im sure we will get it working base don the feedback I am getting. Ill keep checkign back in here and on email

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:54 pm »
Is this the only way to play these games on windows 10?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2020, 09:53:09 pm »
The game will install on Win10 without the Launcher program.  The Launcher help makes multiplayer possible and makes the game easier to run.  The improvements that D4v1ks and Tar have made are amazing.

Offline Lensman63

• Ensign
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2020, 10:33:15 am »
HI
I used to play SFC2:EAW a lot in past and have just found a CD of SFC:OP which have just installed onto a windows 10 machine.
I installed from the CD and then added the 2500 to 2552 patch from Dynervser, set compatibility to XPSP2, Changed Async to 0 and copied a d3d8.dll to the game folder.
The game starts fine and I can select SinglePlayer then a game starts shots down.
Looking for logs I found these errors
Unhandled Exception!
tScriptLoader::mBeginMission
tScripting::mBeginMission
tScripting::mHandleNetEvent
tSFCSim::mUpdateTheSimWithNetworkInfo
tSFCSim::mHeartbeat
tSfcApp3d::mHeartbeat
tMyApp::mHeartbeat

tBitmapFontEx objects 0
tBitmapFontEx objects 1
tBitmapFontEx objects 1
tBitmapFontEx objects 1
tBitmapFontEx objects 2
tBitmapFontEx objects 3
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 3
tBitmapFontEx objects 2
tBitmapFontEx objects 1
tBitmapFontEx objects 2
tBitmapFontEx objects 3
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 6
tBitmapFontEx objects 6
tBitmapFontEx objects 6
tBitmapFontEx objects 6
tBitmapFontEx objects 6
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 13
tBitmapFontEx objects 13
tBitmapFontEx objects 12
tBitmapFontEx objects 11
tBitmapFontEx objects 10
tBitmapFontEx objects 9
tBitmapFontEx objects 8
tBitmapFontEx objects 7
tBitmapFontEx objects 6
tBitmapFontEx objects 5
tBitmapFontEx objects 4
tBitmapFontEx objects 3
tBitmapFontEx objects 2
tBitmapFontEx objects 1
tBitmapFontEx objects 0

Any help would be greatly appreciated

p.s. What is the answer to "Type the number of letters between 0-10"? is a question I have no idea what the answer is and neither does Google