Topic: Star Trek Beyond official trailer  (Read 11143 times)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Star Trek Beyond official trailer
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:24:42 pm »
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Star Trek Beyond official trailer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
felt wierd that trailer....
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:30:41 pm »
It looks like Star Trek and Mad Max had a love child. Nothing in it makes me want to see it in the theater, I will wait for it to show up in the DVD/Blue Ray bargain bin if that.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:48:46 pm »
Whatever...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:36:41 pm »
Well, since "whatever" can mean, well, whatever, I'm going to not hold back my opinion that it looks like a terrible version of ST. I had a modicum of hope for it when Pegg said things about it "carrying the spirit of the show," but that trailer misses that by a mile lightyear. As with the first 2, Pegg is playing Simon Pegg, not Scotty, Pine is being Pine, not Kirk. I could swallow my pride and say that the first JJ-Trek was an enjoyable movie ( if you had no idea what ST was), but "Into Drekness" was just a terrible movie.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:37:53 pm »
Personally, I like that JJ Trek has less dialogue and more action.  Something I hated with previous versions of Trek.  Sadly it's the only thing I like about JJ Trek.  But whatever...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:41:38 pm »
"You keep using that word. I do  not think it means what you think it means..."

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:48:51 pm »
"we have no crew, no ship"

What? :huh:
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »
Why are they jumping so much?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
"Into Drekness" was just a terrible movie.

The only good part in that movie was when Pike dressed down Kirk and told him that he wasn't ready to be a captain and that he was going back to the academy. Kind of put the whole franchise in perspective.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 05:56:43 pm »
'Inspired by Star Trek' might be a better way to describe the latest 'official' forays into the franchise.

Myself, I'm enjoying the fan made stuff.  Just read up on the exploits of the U.S.S. Tamerlane, and Nova Trek.  Nova Trek would be a series that would interest me, if it was given the small screen treatment.  It's fun seeing someone playing in the sandbox, in a parallel universe, in a much more interesting way than JJ did.

On a side note, it's nice to see some of the SFC stuff making it's way into a fanfic here and there, along with other models.

There are a few other efforts out there as well, such as Star Trek New Voyages and Star Trek Continues.  There are several fan-run studios out there now with faithfully reconstructed TOS sets...  While I do find the fan made 'Kirk continues' stuff somewhat enjoyable, it still takes some getting used to to see other actors portraying the roles we all know so well.  It's rather nice to see them utilizing the star trek alums in their efforts when they can. 

Not many original TOS alums left these days...

Starship Farragut apparently decided to move on to the 'Movie Era' Trek recently.  Haven't watched much of their stuff though, although I did catch their 'TAS'animated episodes.

Still looking forward to AxanarRenegades is still making a go of it too - hopefully they get their stuff done before CBS/Paramount launch their new show, should the studio execs decide to lock out the fan films at that point...

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:14:46 pm »
Reminds me of Star Trek Insurrection - but with less gravitas.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 09:10:49 am »
I had the same thought about Insurrection Lono, with the "no  ship, on their own" vibe, but also of "Nemesis," with the needless off-roading desert chase and the Big E getting trashed. IDK, maybe this is a bigger trend in movies over the years, since we can point to examples from '98 & '02. I'm not being one of those "eh, things were better made in the old days" curmudgeons, because there are some exceptionally well done TVs & movies these days, but as "science fiction" goes, it's been more and more reduced to a form of "action" movies with common denominator scenes strung together, vying for the billions of $$ popcorn flicks bring in.

Very cool about Farragut moving forward past TOS. I'm a little disappointed they're skipping over the TMP era look and costumes; I think someone could mine that timeframe and  develop it, maybe even explain the changes between TMP & TWOK.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:25 pm »
Looks like fun to me.  But just so much Cotton Candy versus the Prime Rib of the Star Trek I grew up with.  Not thought provoking, but a fun roller coaster.

That said, the Abramoverse really will have a tough time winning me over now that they've established the ability to transport from across the galaxy.  Explodes ANY internal consistency that this version of Trek could possibly have.  I don't know how the writers get out of that one.

And while I'm at it, was I missing something or was Spock trying to save the Romulan homeworld by destroying their star by sucking it into a black hole?  So... they have a starless planet except for the black hole around which they are orbiting?

I MUST have been missing something, right?

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:27 pm »
So where does the black hole/red matter come in?

intermech

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 10:15:45 pm »
The dialog in the trailer seemed like it could be for a Firefly movie.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 10:18:39 pm »
Yeah, that's what I THOUGHT.  But then, like I said, you're left with a planet orbiting either nothing (i.e. no star at all!) - which is bad - or orbiting a black hole - which is worse (?).

Oh, well.  Here's hoping STBeyond is not just fun, but good as well.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 10:42:20 pm »
And while I'm at it, was I missing something or was Spock trying to save the Romulan homeworld by destroying their star by sucking it into a black hole?  So... they have a starless planet except for the black hole around which they are orbiting?

I MUST have been missing something, right?

It wasn't their star, that's the missing piece, it was A star. A star was/going/went supernova and threatened to destroy pretty much everyone with Romulus being first in line. Spock agreed/was asked to find a way to stop it which is where red matter came in. Red matter would suck the star into/turn it into a black hole, stopping the shock wave. He succeeded but was to late to save Romulus. Nero blamed him. Spock goes over it in his monologue but unless you listen to it on loop it's hard to get all the details.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 09:22:44 am »
The Jem'hadar took out the Galaxy class Odyssey with a suicide run, so I can see the swarm crushing the JJprise.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 11:34:55 am »
I'll bet the E loses the saucer but shows up in the last act or something  :D

Against my better judgement I read somethings the director (Justin Lin, of Fast and Furious franchise) said, and it seems as usual the inverse of actual Star Trek. His quote: "What would happen if you go on a five year journey and you’re trying to not only explore but also maybe introduce other people to your way of thinking? What would that mean? What are the consequences of that? You’re spreading a philosophy that you think is great - are there going to be any philosophies that counter you? "

It's. Called. The. Prime. Directive.

Idiot.