Topic: SFC Orion Pirates Won't Install  (Read 6271 times)

Offline stardog765

• Lt. Junior Grade
SFC Orion Pirates Won't Install
« on: April 17, 2016, 01:21:19 pm »
Hello all,  I am new here and just found out I can purchase these great old games so I picked up SF Community Ed and Orion Pirates from the store.

Finally got SF Community Ed ISO extracted and installed, not sure why that has not been fixed yet as it seems that has been a problem for a long time here but thats another topic probably.

But Orion Pirates, while I can actually mount the ISO correctly the setup program runs but it never does anything.  It just sits there resident in memory and I have to ctrl-alt-del it.

Tried running it as admin, tried running it in compatibility mode and even extracted the ISO and tried to run it that way. Same thing.

If someone could maybe point me in the right direction that would be great. 

Thank you.

PS : Do you really have to enter all of these answers to the questions every time you post here? Even with a registered account? Seriously?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: SFC Orion Pirates Won't Install
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:29:44 pm »
Yeah, it's annoying. But I think once you have made 10(?) posts, the anti-bot stuff goes away.

I don't know why OP won't install, but CE will. Make sure the OP .iso isn't blocked by Windows. Right-click it, choose "Properties". Unblock and Apply your choice.

Could be an anti-virus program that freezes the installation. Turn off anti-malware when installing OP. That might help.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:39:38 pm »
Which mounting software are you using, and which OS? PowerISO on Windows 10 doesn't quite work for installation, for example.

What you can also try (and I've tested it myself) is to extract the content of the ISO to a special folder, get the 32-bit InstallShield 5 (not 3!) executable from here: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988 and replace it with the one in the folder you made, then run it as admin. After installing, you can remove the folder and mount the ISO to play.

Offline stardog765

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 04:54:12 pm »
I appreciate the advice all.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  I used MagicISO to extract the ISO into a folder and also mounted it with Daemon Tools.  Both tries same thing setup.exe runs but never does anything and I end up just having to close the process with task manager.

I did also download the v5 setup from that link and same result.

Really weird because SFC from GoG installed fine and the SFC Community Ed installed fine but this one is just a no go.

Ya that verification stuff just to post here I have to say is very very off-putting.  I get that it might go away after a few posts but that is crazy and paranoid.
Sorry no disrespect to the devs meant but thats too much.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:11:31 pm »
Try setting it to compatibility mode for Windows 98 or XP SP3.

Offline F9th0mega

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Constitution Class - The one, the Only, the BEST
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:59:16 pm »
I'm having the exact same issue.

Windows 10 :(
Alternate universe:  Khan was banished for preserving the peace. The Genesis device was really a super weapon and kirk had planned to use it on the klingons. Chekov found the Botany Bay and khan hijakced and killed the evil reliant crew in an effort to destroy the genesis device.    Ahh i love it :D The alternate universe rocks.

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:14:56 am »
try turning the UAC off then install in compatibility mode and choose change settings for all users click on run as administrator run in compatibility mode for windows xp sp 2 and then in settings run in 256 color mode

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:03:28 pm »
Stardog didn't say whether he turned off his anti-malware programs, assuming he has any. It seems like a security issue. Setup.exe may not be allowed to do its job, because a security application may be rejecting it (without notification). Setup.exe may be writing to folders that Windows deems to be prohibited.

It likely isn't a hardware issue. He can play other versions of SFC without any compatibility modes enabled or 256 colors.

Turning off UAC is a good idea if you are the only person who uses a particular PC.

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:21:35 pm »
those are the steps i took to get OP to run on my win 10 machine so i know it works...

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:45:34 pm »
Stardog has Windows 7.

The solution should be simple.

But if a suggestion from anyone works, that's good. 

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 02:02:28 pm »
I want to give you a bug hug Tar... just stick with what you know..  :knuppel2:

thanks

Edit to make it seem more family friendly. ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:06:10 pm by Sirgod »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 05:05:13 pm »
Alright, need to calm down there Tiberius. no need to attack another member like that buddy.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline stardog765

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 08:50:49 pm »
Thank you everyone for your help.

Just to make it short I have tried everything posted here that I had not already done before.  As for UAC that has been turned off for a long time.

I have been in contact with one of the Dynaverse guys who is trying to help with the problem.  He has and is being very helpful and willing to go above and beyond. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon and I will update here.

Thanks again everyone.