Topic: New Star Trek TV Series Teaser Trailer Released  (Read 12792 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
New Star Trek TV Series Teaser Trailer Released
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:54:38 am »
Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE&feature=youtu.be

Not much info as of yet, teaser trailer is 50 seconds long.

Found this via Ars Technica.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: New Star Trek TV Series Teaser Trailer Released
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »
From what I've picked up bits and pieces here and there.  They aren't planning on making it follow one set of characters over the course of a long mission.  Rather its going to be a ship here, and a ship there.  Maybe they'll have three or four different ships that they feature over the course of a month.  Makes it sound to me like its going to be maybe one or two "Main characters" (Admirals possibly) and then a bunch of "guest stars" that are the crews of the ships they send out on the missions.  The other option that I think of is that they might cover one ship in one season.  Then season two is another ship, maybe even another timeframe.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:16:43 pm »
It already looks bad.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:26:28 pm »
"looks" heh

I'm cautiously optimistic despite myself. The era it's set in seems right for storytelling, and a different, more "contemporary" style of TV could serve ST well. Bryan Fuller is an established ST & non-ST producer and bringing in people like Meyer and Rod Roddenberry could add the right flavor too.  The biggest fears I have come from the awfulness of the Abrahams films (including "ST Beyond").  That's a lot to overcome but it looks like this series is at a distance from those films.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »
There's not enough there to call it a teaser. ::)
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:16 pm »
I also didnt find it anything special... looks like a video card apresentation ^^
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:56:50 pm »
guys, this thing is the definition of a teaser trailer - a trailer made from almost nothing from final product, or from whatever was lying around. A lot of the other ST films had them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJQK12BnK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7lk5xnu6aY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwivz3gECus

New series might be good, bad or ugly, but you can't tell from this teaser

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:45:08 pm »
BTW, per Axanar Productions, due to director Lin's interventions, Paramount is dropping lawsuit against Axanar Productions!

https://twitter.com/StarTrekAxanar?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 10:14:43 am »
There must have been some behind closed door agreement that was reached. Hopefully details leak out sooner than later. :o

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 01:03:14 pm »
I'm awaiting an official announcement from Paramount/CBS r.e. dropping the lawsuit, but I do hope that Abrams and Lin's disclosure at the beyond event is in fact happening.  Directors and Studios aren't on the same page sometimes.  And many fan film productions are watching this closely.  Paramount/CBS REALLY should publish official 'fan film' guidelines on these if they want to allow these to continue, the verbal vagaraties up to this point ('just don't make any money' comes immediately to mind) aren't all that helpful.  Some of the other sci fi franchises which have large fan ecosystems do a better job with this than Paramount/CBS have up to this point.

In somewhat related news, I am glad that Supergirl lives on for Season 2 on the CW.  I wish that they had done the same for Enterprise waaaay back then (retool the production to lower costs), so it's nice to know that CBS isn't as afraid of moving productions from the USA to Canada to control costs as they were back in the Enterprise days (there was a proposal to move the Enterprise production team to Canada when they cancelled the series, so that it wouldn't cost as much per episode to produce, but they chose to kill the series instead, just as it was starting to get more interesting...).

Anyways, I did warn you guys it was only 50 seconds of 'teasing'.  The New Crews thing is probably the biggest disclosure that the very vague mini trailer reveals, but that doesn't tell us much by itself.  I haven't been following the 'deep' news on the new series all that much.  I do want to see the entire season on broadcast TV, not just the pilot...  Some of us pay for our internet by the gig.  Again, maybe they should take a page from the Supergirl experiment and move the rest of the Star Trek season to the CW, if they don't think that Star Trek can hang in the ratings on their flagship network. 

To be fair, Supergirl was in the top 10 of the CBS ratings, on par or better than several other of their shows which they have renewed for next season - it was a cost/benefit analysis (production cost per episode, plus more importantly the licensing fee from DC which they managed to negotiate downwards for season 2 apparently) that brought that show's future into question.  By comparison sitcom shows/sets are usually much cheaper to produce, actor salaries aside, so they can 'better afford' to live on with lower ratings, TV advertising budgets aside.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cbs-2015-16-season-ratings-38085/

The Big Bang Theory apparently scores about double the ratings or more than just about any other scripted CBS show, which partially explains why it is their 'go to' filler for when other shows aren't airing.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 03:35:18 am »
Another teaser, this time showing off the starship:  NCC 1031 Discovery...

https://youtu.be/bqm9HSYbf0o

And it would appear that the new TV show will be called Star Trek: Discovery.

Not really digging this ship - reminds me of a Starfire Silhouette, not a ST one.  What does everyone else think so far?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:44 am »
Yuck.  Already said what I felt about STD at the other place.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:44 am »
It's the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise barf concept from the 70's with heavy star wars influence.  :smackhead:

http://losttrek.weebly.com/ralph-mcquarries-concept-art.html

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:12:47 am »
I've always liked the McQuarrie Enterprise so I find this Discovery a nice update on it, and Fuller has all but admitted that they were borrowing from McQuarrie's ship.

The fact that it's the Prime Timeline is the best news I've heard. Despite the nitpicking over the registry, by all other rumors the series will be set post TOS movies/preTNG. Given the various behnd the scenes talent involved, I am now getting optimistc about ST:D. My biggest issue is still the delivery system they're using instead of broadcast.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 06:35:01 pm »
The McQuarrie Enterise is an unholy fusion of Star Trek and Star Wars that was so awful, that it caused Gene Roddenberry to bring back Matt Jeffries to save the day.

As far as setting goes, A small foam model of the McQuarrie Enterprise was seen in the background during the space dock sequence in ST III, so its possible that this could be TMP era.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:44 pm »
Interesting twist might be if it were an anthology series about the ship. Each season telling a single novel-like story about a point in the ship's lifespan.

Would allow them to tell a story from every era.

Contrary to rumors that the new series would be an anthology show with each season focusing on a different time in Trek lore, Fuller said “I’ve read that this is an anthology show, which is not accurate.” Fuller also shot down the rumor that the series would take place between Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Aww you suck.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:27 pm »
The McQuarrie Enterise is an unholy fusion of Star Trek and Star Wars that was so awful, that it caused Gene Roddenberry to bring back Matt Jeffries to save the day.

As far as setting goes, A small foam model of the McQuarrie Enterprise was seen in the background during the space dock sequence in ST III, so its possible that this could be TMP era.

It kinda looks to me like a Klingon D7 with the boom replaced with a fed saucer.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:02 pm »

It kinda looks to me like a Klingon D7 with the boom replaced with a fed saucer.

Naaaah, if it was that, it'd look cooler...
Pic below is of a Federation class DN with a D7 secondary hull (instead of Fed Sec Hull) and some BSG hanger pods I threw in just for fun (photoshop bash)

Never did find anyone that wanted to do that model for me...
 ::)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 12:29:39 am »

Its a Star Destroyer with a few Federation appendages tacked on.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 11:24:49 am »
From what I've seen now, both the ship and a picture I stumbled upon on twitter (which is ironic since I don't use twitter).  I now believe that this series is the reason Axanar drew so much fire.  This series seems to be set prior to the Cage, perhaps 30 to 40 years before, which would almost put it right in the Axanar time frame.  Obviously the Studio couldn't allow Axanar to be made if they were going to put something out that took place in the same time period.

The Ship looks like it belongs pre-Cage, and the twitter picture was a picture of the unfinished Command Chair.  Which to me looked like a cross between the NX Command Chair, and the Constitution Command Chair.  I've heard the theories about this ship being an older ship that was mothballed and re-activated in the 24th Century, and I don't buy it.  There's no crisis before the Dominion War that would have warranted dragging a 100 year old clunker out of Mothballs and attempting to modernize it.  The Federation even in the late 23rd century is a place where there is very little scarcity of resources to justify that line of thinking.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)