Topic: SFC Launcher (a dynaverse and gamespy's online services replacement)  (Read 80071 times)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: SFC Launcher (a dynaverse and gamespy's online services replacement)
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 06:13:08 am »
I will simplify things a little more in the next release.

The objective will be to release something inside the idea initially stated at

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163396609.msg1123054742.html#msg1123054742
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:04:12 am by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »
Ok. I used 127.0.0.12 for the directory service, 127.0.0.11 for the dyna server, and allowed ServerPlatform.exe through the firewall. Fired up the SFC Launcher with the 4 services enabled, started the OP server, and then launched StarfleetOP.exe all on the same computer. It works.

Did a scan mission. Blew up a freighter. Got 320 points. Repaired my ship. If only there were 60 human players instead of AI, it might be fun.   

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
yea does the same thing for me crashes everytime..

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 12:01:59 pm »
Ok. I used 127.0.0.12 for the directory service, 127.0.0.11 for the dyna server, and allowed ServerPlatform.exe through the firewall. Fired up the SFC Launcher with the 4 services enabled, started the OP server, and then launched StarfleetOP.exe all on the same computer. It works.

Did a scan mission. Blew up a freighter. Got 320 points. Repaired my ship. If only there were 60 human players instead of AI, it might be fun.

When this gets made into an all-in-one installer for the public, you might get your wish for players. The number of "guests" who drop by but don't log in is still encouraging. They are possibly just waiting for the end version.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:21 pm »
yea does the same thing for me crashes everytime..

Probably the way it needs to be configured at the moment, it's not very intuitive for the end-user. But it can get better!  :)
I've been playing here at home with OP and its serverkit build 37. And it runs without any issue or error. It is a good sign!

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:32 am »
Ok. I used 127.0.0.12 for the directory service, 127.0.0.11 for the dyna server

It worked with those IPs?

127.0.0.1 is a loop-back address (IPv4). It is like the "local" IP of our computer. We can use it in the place of the "real" IP of the computer.

The IPs i used on the readme files are hypothetical. They only would make sense, if you had a real network configured in that particular way.

The real IP of our machines can be known, for example, by running IPCONFIG in a command line.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2017, 08:28:25 am »
I guess any IP with 127.0.0.* is a local address. It didn't hurt to assign the various SFC elements to different IP's. Maybe it is irrelevant to use 127.0.0.11 and 127.0.0.12. They may be treated exactly as 127.0.0.1 if all three applications are on the same computer.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2017, 09:52:35 am »
Hey Tar, i've started working on an update for SFC OP 2563.

Will update the serverkit, that uses the build 36 as base, to the latest build 37 (compiled for perfomance + some fixes).

I also coded a little parser for the *.gf files, and found in the process, that there are some little errors on the syntax, on a few of them. Probably not very important. But i fixed those.
The *.gf files have now a standard format, and can be open on excel, for example, using TAB as delimeter, to be more readable.

On the client, i replaced "lowres" on sfc.ini, by the 2 new variables "width" and "height", like happens in sfc EAW 2037.
I replaced the function there for something like:

Code: [Select]
if sfcini.contains("width") && sfcini.contains("height") {
   screenWidth =  sfcini.width
   screenheight = sfcini.Height
} else {
   screenWidth =  800
   screenHeight = 600
}

if (screenWidth < 640) screenWidth = 640
if (screenHeight < 480) screenHeight = 480

Probably i can get rid of the hardcoded gamespy links on the executables too, and put them in the sfc.ini. Will take a look on that.

In the next release of SFC Launcher, i will automatate a little more the server configuration, and use it to launch the clients. This will give the option to launch the game in the correct "resolution", and adjust the sprites.q3 layouts accordingly.
So, in windows mode, the client will have the option to run in "maximized" mode, or then in one of the "standart" resolutions. Is what offers less problems and better perfomance on Windows 10.

Lets see how it goes, as i need to merge some code of the other projects on this new features, and get time for it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:03:19 am by d4v1ks »

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:48 am »
Sounds wonderful, everything is much appreciated and anticipated.  :D
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2017, 04:47:27 pm »
Carlos, I was thinking of that yesterday -- putting the directory service IP in sfc.ini. More people could have identical CRCs if that were the case. Sfc.ini would be the Hi-Def and Dyna client customizer as a simple text file. I've forgotten how I added Width and Height to EAW's sfc.ini. But I remember that it wasn't very difficult.

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »
ok got it working server works .but what i did notice is when moving from a normal hex to another normal hex movement was fine not lagging like it used to but.. when moving from a normal hex to a hex with a planet or shipyard the display on left were it shows your mission or shipyard or supplies the shipyard and other buttons takes about 3-5 secs to go from greyed out to clickable didnt time it but  seems like 3-5 secs would be about right..

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2017, 12:50:36 pm »
very promising news, cant wait
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »
i have to say why the hell dont they (Dynaverse.net keeper of the code) give you the code to work on.. its just dumb to not let you work on it ...

thanks for all you do

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2017, 02:56:47 pm »
i realize they dont have the op code but the multiplayer code for eaw is in there mabe there would be something you could come up with for op having looked at the eaw code..just thinking out loud

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:25 am »
i have to say why the hell dont they (Dynaverse.net keeper of the code) give you the code to work on..

The source code is an asset of an enterprise.
Why would they share it with anyone?
Who wins, and what?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:37:50 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:13 am »
 :-X
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2017, 06:09:19 pm »

The source code is an asset of an enterprise.
Why would they share it with anyone?
Who wins, and what?

While I don't want to stray off topic too much, I think Dyna team should allow you to work on the CE source code if you want to.  At this point no one is working on that hot mess and with you and Tar I think some real progress can be made.  Who knows, you might even be able to recreate some of the X Weapons from OP into the CE code and have both games under one roof.  That is my 2 cents, I'll go back into lurker mode now.

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2017, 06:12:15 pm »
You mean an asset that is just sitting there collecting dust..after all this time its obvious they dont plan on doing anything with it..whats the point? is it just to say we have the code and nobody else does?..They should just give it back to whom they got it from.. You d4v1ks and Tar are the assets this community needs to come up with something to get this game moving again D.net doesnt have the skill or time needed to work on the code.. Time to hand it off to the people who do... 

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:49 am »
All this work has been a thankless and expensive job.  I am grateful to Frey for having what it takes to do it.  Without all the effort and yes money Frey has put into the SFC community we wouldn't be here, there would be no SFC:CE.  There would be nowhere to post the recent developments where fans of SFC would see it.  In fact there would only be a very few isolated players still wishing for the glory days but with no one to share those wishes with. 

So thank you Frey.  Wish I could do more to help. 

And yes thanks to those who have used Freys dedication as a springboard to the recent developments in hacking the game.  Well done to you guys too, wish I knew how to help even though I don't currently have a machine suitable for game play and my disks were destroyed.  Well done to you but remember you are standing on Freys broad shoulders.  Without those shoulders to stand on you would have no place and no one to share your efforts and to praise your efforts. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2017, 01:32:33 pm »
MY MY MY.... d.net was givin the code by a guy who was patching the game early on.. taldren gave d.net the tools to create keys  for the game..so in my opinion frey is not the saviour of sfc only a guy who was givin a few things..

yes he owns the forums but anyone who mods this game can create a free forum to discuss and mod further..all im saying is give the dam code to those in this community that have the ability to do something with it they can sign an NDA ffs..

unless the true goal here is to sit on the code and do nothing and just keep a dead games forum going..again whats the point in having the code if you caint do anything with it its pointless...

PS d4v1ks touching story.. but doesn't have anything to do with this discussion..i'll shut now cuz its obvious members here do nothing but pat one guy on the back who truly is holding up any future this game could have...so sad