Topic: SFC Launcher (a dynaverse and gamespy's online services replacement)  (Read 80060 times)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: SFC Launcher (a dynaverse and gamespy's online services replacement)
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2017, 02:31:13 pm »

Not trying to muddy the waters  with comparisons but in support of Frey et. al. - the source code you want to see released is still covered under a great deal of legalese and NDAs, whether Taldren etc still exist or not, and the basic intellectual property of this game is owned by CBS & Paramount.

Whatever your personal opinion of the "Axanar" debacle is irrelevant; it merely shows the the holders of the IP are aware of what fans do. Let's not incur a world of pain on us.

D.net is not a signatory to the NDAs that cover the IP. The IP has many more lawyers and $$ to bury this game and site forever. Your insistence Tiberius makes your motives seem questionable, coming from someone who has 35 posts and is relatively new here.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 03:22:51 pm »
Well Tiberius go ahead and create your own SFC forum and promote it as the "New home of SFC" and see how far you get.  Try and get together a group of free programmers and create an up to date clone of SFC. 

You also need to ask yourself WHY was Frey "given" this stuff and under what conditions.  The fact that after all these years the Dynaverse is still here shows that he was and is a good choice.  The existence of SFC:CE shows that the choice worked. 

You don't like how Frey has done things?  Make constructive and practical suggestions.  So far you are just going WAAH! Frey hasn't fullilled all my fantasies without any regard to what he has done or is allowed to do. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 03:38:16 pm »
From a practical standpoint, the SFC2CE source code is not useful and not relevant. D4v1ks, Adam, TAnimaL, and I are not C++ programmers. Frankly, nobody wants to play with or work on that neglected application, and I say this as CE's most dedicated promoter and 1000-hour contributor. Even if Frey or Strat or Exeter made the C++ sources secretly available, nobody is going to bother with it. I don't have the time to deal with spaghetti code and inheritances and virtual classes.

The game that interests people is SFC OP 2.563. Nobody on Earth has the source code for this game. We can use a disassembler to hack OP. It is impressive what we have done without one line of C++ code from StarfleetOP.exe.

And I will now fire up IDA to find more ways to improve a game that people actually play and care about. 

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:52 pm »
This is a very complex topic to talk about.
There is a lot of positive and negative sides.
I believe all did their best.
But it really doesnt matter...
Who will have the time or skills to work on it?
It was made by a team of people, in a fulltime job, during months and months of their lives. And they were getting paid!
From my perspective i dont even know what i could do for it. Have no idea of its complexity.
One thing i know:

This afteernoon, i  got some free time to work on the next update for SFCOP 2564.
Today, i was finally able to open the SFC Launcher, select the sfc op client on a list, hit a button, and it automatically resized itself to the primary desktop resolution, and it started working as i advertised earlier.
No more painfull setting files, or hexediting to play in HD. :)
It is all that matters.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »
We work with the tools we have. The Phaser-A has a broken minimum damage estimator. It's been that way for 16 years or so.

StarfleetOP.exe has 1000 bytes of free space at the end of the code (.text) section for custom functions. I just realized this today! So I copied the working Ph-A max damage function, modified one offset inside it, modifed the call to the broken function, and tested the new Ph-A minimum damage function...

Notice the "8" instead of the misleading zero? Heh. IDA is a cool tool. Look for v2.564 someday. I'd like to fix the Ph-B minimum damage estimator too. Fixed that one too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:22:10 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2017, 06:26:08 am »
Very good news indeed. Slightly off topic but not that far out there...

I have been thinking of an idea. There's a couple of people who I speak with who still mod and add stuff to OP. Some of the guys have difficulties with adding UIs to the game. Some because they lack the expertise, others because they lack the necessary software. There's also the fact that if I introduce let's say an Oberth Class UI into the download package, someone else won't be able to see this in their game without making the necessary manual changes themselves. Sometimes I kitbash ships and I would like people to have my specific UIs but they don't and I have to set the ships hardpoints to something that is compatiable with their exe/sprite.
Then there's the shiplist. Another manually intensive obstacle when people just really wanna add the ship and see it the way the author intended.
Some people like Tar and others know how they want their ships to be added and do it themselves but others are left to the mercy of sifting through pages on the forums and searching for old links to software and programs/plugins they don't have or waiting for a response on the forum that seems to be as long as like waiting for the Israelis and Palestinians to broker peace. Anyways, is it possible to create a tool so when someone like me kitbashes a ship, with everything included like hardpoints, UIs and the recommended shiplist specs to automatically plugin the UI into the sprites, plug a new line into the shiplist and place the ship in the right folder in order to make things easier and quicker.

This tool needs to account for several issues. Such as a button that adds it to the primary shiplist/fighterlist in the assets folder. Another button to add it to the metaAssets shiplist/fighterlist version bc people like Tar have two sets that necessarily aren't the same.
Another button to add the UI if the person wants to bc as I stated above it's difficult to custom make everyone's request. In my example I may want the Oberth to be just a survey ship being only one ship and one line within the shiplist entries and not an entire overhaul of the frigate list. The UI feature would be extremely useful for those who need a person like me to make UIs for their game bc they are unable to themselves. Again, just a suggestion. I'm very satisfied with all the tools we currently have and for me it's no big deal but for others it seems like a lot of work to simply make/add a UI or an entry into the shiplist.
If you think it's a cool idea and wanna give it a shot I would glad give you my thoughts on how the layout should appear so it's fluid for the users such as the recipients of the download but also fluid for the creators of the model packages.   
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:36 am »
Anyways, is it possible to create a tool so when someone like me kitbashes a ship, with everything included like hardpoints, UIs and the recommended shiplist specs to automatically plugin the UI into the sprites, plug a new line into the shiplist and place the ship in the right folder in order to make things easier and quicker.

This tool needs to account for several issues. Such as a button that adds it to the primary shiplist/fighterlist in the assets folder. Another button to add it to the metaAssets shiplist/fighterlist version bc people like Tar have two sets that necessarily aren't the same.

If you think it's a cool idea and wanna give it a shot I would glad give you my thoughts on how the layout should appear so it's fluid for the users such as the recipients of the download but also fluid for the creators of the model packages.

Yes, i can do something like that for sure.
You would be amazed how easy is to work with the sprites.q3 atm.
But i have such a big 'to do' list atm... Let me finish the SFC Launcher first.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:58 am »
Did you saw how the SFC Launcher's interface looked like?
I'm having problems with the look of the Main Tab at the moment... It just doesnt feel right.
I will post a pic after leave work.
Maybe you can help make it look better.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:18:18 am by d4v1ks »

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:14 am »
Yup, I understand you have a priority. I just wanted to get it out there so you would know. Anything I can do is willing to help. Time permitting of course. I work crazy hours 0400-1230 so sometimes I'm exhausted during the week. Thanks again.

Adam
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2017, 02:52:44 pm »
It does its job, but looks bad, right?  ;D

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2017, 03:23:04 pm »
Lol

You too funny. If it does the job then it's fine by me. Idk what I can do. I'm just a kitbasher. I cannot tackle this aesthetically without seeing the components. Looks like you need an artist with a little knowledge in making pop up programs textures.
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »
I like the idea of a 2.563->2.564 patch that is not too disruptive. Some players are very accustomed to the 2.552 patch as a platform. A 2.552->2.564 patch seems reasonable. I don't have a personal preference. A CD (or .iso) to 2.564 patch is good too if someone gets a newer computer.

I didn't isolate many variables in OP. They could be moved to the free space. I didn't verify all of TAnimaL's offsets for the SFC_Editor. I found one variable (Hellbore charge rate 2.5d) that is shared with a vessel library function and should be isolated. But I bet 99% of them are fine because the OP code uses more immediate values than SFC2CE, which uses tons of shared values. Changes to the Fusion Beam, Scanner, and Sensor code are not worth relocating. They're just minor edits of conditional jumps and general register math.

The complex function you did for Space Backgrounds is working. It's up to you if you want to do it in a "safer" way.

Carlos, you work on the functions for HD and gamespy. When that looks good, send the .exe to me. I can add the Ph-A and Ph-B estimator functions and any other bug fixes in the meanwhile. I have copies of the Heavy Phaser functions and other notes in a text file to refresh my memory.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2017, 03:06:35 am »
Ok, the exe has all the changes already coded.
It is not much.

Yesterday i tested the SFC Launcher with sfc eaw 2037, and it also worked as well.
Later, i will send you the file, so you can add your last touches.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:02 pm »
Take your time guys!
I think having a patch is the best idea. 

Capt Adam,
That is a great idea. 

Keep up the good work, there is no pressure, it isn't like this game was released yesterday.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2017, 10:55:55 am »
As the work on the new SFC Launcher release continues,
I've finished the work on the SFC3 executable.
It took some time, but the final result is very cool.
I’ve replaced 2 functions in there, to reproduce the same 2 new mechanics that will be used in SFCOP.
With these changes in place, you will not need to hexedit anything anymore, to use Gamespy, or any custom HD resolution.

I will publish it in the next SFC Launcher release.

Cheers

Code: [Select]
// New gamespy mechanics (with the old hardcoded hostnames as example).

[Gamespy]
motd=http://www.gamespyarcade.com/features/launch.asp?svcname=sfc3
master=master.gamespy.com
gpcm=gpcm.gamespy.com
gpsp=gpsp.gamespy.com

// New resmode mechanic (with the default/lowest resolution, as example).

[3D]
width=1024
height=768

// You can use the sprites.q3 Editor at
// http://www.hotandspicyforums.com/post201588.html#p201588
// to manually replace any default resolution you wish.
// or wait a bit for the new SFC Launcher release, that will automate the process.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2017, 05:06:50 pm »
Very cool
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:47:49 am by d4v1ks »

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »
this... is... fricking AWESOME!!!!!!

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2017, 09:24:23 pm »
Nice!

I am SO pumped for the release of this! Cant wait to play it with friends.

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2017, 12:06:20 pm »
Looks great.  Do you think you'll have a version that will operate for SFC3?  If so, like to give it a try with our mods we've been working on.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.