Topic: Beyond sucked  (Read 14365 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Beyond sucked
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:25:54 pm »
It's no wonder Paramount is scared of Axanar, this steaming pile of poo was just awful.  I saw it for free and felt ripped off.

With any luck the IP will be devalued enough that nobody will care anymore.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Beyond sucked
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:52:55 pm »
I view JJ Trek as a parody.  But given that, I think it was the best one JJ has put out so far... as parodies go.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »
I'm interpreting Paramount's unusually recent announcement of a fourth film in the franchise indicating they realize this isn't a strong film.

I'm interpreting the fact that they're even announcing the storyline of the fourth film at this point, Kirk meeting his father presumably through time travel, as their way of reassuring a rabid fan base that they are going to reset the timeline, so to speak, with the fourth film, and probably retire this cast (which is a shame, because I think the cast and music were the strongest things Abramstrek had going for it).  This will also keep the possibilities open for the new series/future films, etc.

I'm interpreting Abrams' comments about not recasting Chekov [with this generation of actors in the Star Trek Universe] as reinforcing my theory that the fourth film will be the final film with this group of actors/this interpretation of the Star Trek Universe, and that Kirk will probably reset everything, saving Vulcan, Chekov, his father, and his Shatnerish timeline (remember, he knows about this via Nimoyspock) by the end of the fourth film.  Heard it hear first: the fourth film initiates the reboot of the reboot, and ends Abrams' foray in the Trek universe.

Offline bobfreedom

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »
Why do you guys hate beyond? I watched last night and thought it was awesome. I didn't really like the new movies or the new cast until this one, I'm totally turned around, I thought it was great.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:35:42 pm »
Why do you guys hate beyond? I watched last night and thought it was awesome. I didn't really like the new movies or the new cast until this one, I'm totally turned around, I thought it was great.

I have NOT seen it yet. Sorry if I gave that impression. Was underwhelmed at first two, but hope springs eternal for the third. Better than no Trek at all, I think...

Anyhow, generally I don't like the wide open holes in story lines that Abrams' Trek creates.  The latest was Khan Superblood as a cure-all. But being able to transport across the galaxy also creates some troublesome story problems.  I didn't like the red matter thang.  Would also think Nero might have used his ability to go back in time to warn Romulus of the supernova. Is Abrams' Spock Vulcan or merely Asperger's?  Engineering filmed in a brewery ruined a bit of the suspension of disbelief for me.  I don't know if the Klingons could have been more unimaginatively realized, especially their ships.

That's just me. And just off the top of my head.

But the third Abramstrek film, I intend to see and has been getting good mainstream reviews. I just like the extrapolation of REAL science that Star Trek represents, and don't really feel that way about these Treks.  Cotton Candy instead of a meal.

That said, I do LOVE the casting, music, and bridge aesthetics.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:54:38 pm »

Were you intoxicated?   Then maybe this sh*tburger could have been tolerable.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:55:44 pm »

That said, I do LOVE the casting, music, and bridge aesthetics.

Cast is great, when I see them I think "Kirk, Spock, Bones, etc . . ."

LOVED the 2009 movie, other two were abortions.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 11:00:18 am »
I do believe it's possible to disagree about things and not resort to insulting people, no matter how strongly you feel on the topic.

I saw Beyond last night, and having gone in with very (very) lowered expectations found myself pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. I disliked a lot of the choices made in ST 2009 and hated "Into Darkness" as Trek and as a movie, but Beyond seemed to work better. It still feels a bit like Star Trek "Lite" and more action than sci-fi but that's hardly surprising with franchise movies these days. The cast is pretty good in their roles; altho I've never liked Quinto's Spock he was better this time and Pegg's Scotty was more than the jokey version he did previously, and the music and FX were good. I could pick at it as a filmmaker, and really nitpick it as a Trekkie, but hell, I did that with TWOK too. WIthout giving away any spoilers I saw a few plot holes  but the dialogue was pretty tight. All in all, if I had never seen the other two JJ movies I could accept this as "big screen" Trek, the same way I accepted "The Voyage Home" (which I didn't care for) or "Final Frontier" (which I personally love but have to admit it's not a good movie at all) - maybe JJ was the real problem.

IMHO, recasting TOS and starting over was inevitable. This series of movies will probably only last a few more as the cast gets expensive and box office goes down. ST and movies have always been a mixed bag, the sooner it returns to "TV"/episodic media, the better.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• should know better by now
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:34:56 am »
I saw it (and am planning to see it again before my vacation is over).  I didn't hate it.  I don't know if I liked it, but this is the first Trek film since Nemesis that feels like a Trek film.  My gripes are ones that have been unique to the Abramsverse films (ignorance of science, bland soundtrack, etc.).

maybe JJ was the real problem.

He freely admitted during the media blitz leading up to the release of ST 09 that he wasn't a fan of the franchise at all, and had never seen any of it save for TMP (as a kid).  He didn't/doesn't understand what he was working with.  Keep him out of the directors chair and away from the script room and things might be salvageable.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:38:17 am by Captain Spadaro »
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:29:01 am »

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:40:36 am »
http://www.inquisitr.com/3409505/its-official-star-trek-beyond-is-a-box-office-flop/http://www.inquisitr.com/3409505/its-official-star-trek-beyond-is-a-box-office-flop/

$100 million loss.

Maybe if the franchise loses more value we can see more SFB games :)

Most of the big budget films this year have seen losses.  For better or for worse, Paramount has already committed to a 4th film with this cast.  Whether or not that's a good thing is TBD.
"Don't try to be a great man; just be a man, and let history make its own judgments." - William Riker, quoting Zefram Cochrane, to Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:36 am »
It's no wonder Paramount is scared of Axanar, this steaming pile of poo was just awful.  I saw it for free and felt ripped off.

With any luck the IP will be devalued enough that nobody will care anymore.
This has NOTHING to do with 'being scared' of Axanar.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 06:09:53 pm »
I'm rather conflicted on what to think of Beyond. These new Trek films aren't quite memorable or substantial (but let's be real, which Trek film was truly comparable to the quality of the series?). They aren't Nemesis-bad, despite cringy moments like the destruction of Vulcan and the Sabotage scene, but they aren't the best thing ever either.

I refuse to go with the fanboy flow and send infinite amounts of hate towards the reboots just to spite JJ Abrams. He's a good director in general, but I can't say Trek was really his forte, and I don't hate him for trying to revitalize the franchise like many fanboys do. Didn't have high expectations when I saw the director of Beyond was from Fast & Furious 7 (who watches that stuff anymore, anyway?), but considering the circumstances it could've ended far worse, so my guess is JJ's backseat role in the film's production was to its benefit.

The Axanar situation has nothing to do with fear, it's more like a run-of-the-mill copyright fascism that no major media company is immune to.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 08:50:45 pm »
The Axanar situation has nothing to do with fear, it's more like a run-of-the-mill copyright fascism that no major media company is immune to.

If Axanar had done nothing wrong, you'd be correct in calling it that.  However, they've done plenty wrong.

http://axamonitor.com/doku.php has all the infomation on their misdeeds.

It may have started out as a fan film project, but right now, it's nothing more than one man's quest to be able to write himself a steady paycheck, ostensibly on the back of IP he had no legal right to use.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 09:32:11 am »

If Axanar had done nothing wrong, you'd be correct in calling it that.  However, they've done plenty wrong.

It may have started out as a fan film project, but right now, it's nothing more than one man's quest to be able to write himself a steady paycheck, ostensibly on the back of IP he had no legal right to use.

That explains the rule change nuke but the collateral damage was excessive.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Captain Spadaro

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 09:45:06 am »

It only takes one person to screw things up for everyone.

That being said, fan films are a very small drop in the larger bucket that is the Star Trek fandom.  It isn't going to affect as much as people think.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

It only takes one person to screw things up for everyone.

That being said, fan films are a very small drop in the larger bucket that is the Star Trek fandom.  It isn't going to affect as much as people think.

Very true but the new rules effectively remove all but the most amateur productions from ever seeing the light.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 09:45:56 am »

For a second there I thought you were talking about Steven V. Cole . . .  :)

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:56:31 pm »
Just saw Beyond.
Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, actually.  Paced like a fun episode. Not a landmark film, but at this point, I'll just take adequate!

Anyone else catch reference to Kzinti War?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:26 pm »

Anyone else catch reference to Kzinti War?

I think they said "Xindi" which is a reference to Enterprise.