Topic: OP Multiplayer after patch 2563  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
OP Multiplayer after patch 2563
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:47:16 am »
After hours of fiddling, I managed to get Dyna working for OP  :D (This is with patch 2563 and OP+4.11). Can't the serverkit to work though, there is a server out there called Mirkwood but its quite slow, I 'm just curious if anyone out there has a good enough computer and Internet connection to host a proper server. Maybe looking at a revival of Dyna finally with all the amazing work by people on here to get this thing working again!

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
Re: OP Multiplayer after patch 2563
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 05:54:04 pm »
Great News!

Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline dieman14

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:43:33 am »
After hours of fiddling, I managed to get Dyna working for OP  :D (This is with patch 2563 and OP+4.11). Can't the serverkit to work though, there is a server out there called Mirkwood but its quite slow, I 'm just curious if anyone out there has a good enough computer and Internet connection to host a proper server. Maybe looking at a revival of Dyna finally with all the amazing work by people on here to get this thing working again!

I have now also devoted the last 5 hours of my life getting my own server to run/connecting to it...I feel like my internet is not quite fast enough to run this, but I would be curious as to what would be appropriate. I have another two people interested in doing this in my area, we may throw up a server,  but may have to incorporate some VPN or something as there will  be multiple users behind one router...so it goes with the Dynaverse.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:34:36 am »
It is not your problem.
I'm sure that computers and internet connections today are far more powerfull that anything running in year ~2000...
The server and client are slow cause they were written that way.
No one adjusted the programs to the reality of today. And no one will. It has became a classic.
The programs, for example, have some explicit delays before taking a action, like moving into a hex (10 seconds delay!).
Back in those days, with a dial connection of ~28kbits, and a 400mhz computer with 64mb ram, that would make sense. The programs would need a delay to syncronize things up. So we can't blame them.
But today it looks slow, rigth?
The problem is that the game didn't changed in the last 16 years!
So, it is as slow as it was in 2000.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:07:24 pm »
That just means that either the multiplayer system was made very sloppy from the get-go, or there are some other factors that are being neglected or unknown. The game's age doesn't have much to do with that. Other games released around that time (C&C Red Alert 2, Submarine Titans, WarCraft II BNE...) don't have such multiplayer lag.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 07:26:29 am »
Other games released around that time (C&C Red Alert 2, Submarine Titans, WarCraft II BNE...) don't have such multiplayer lag.

But those games were not made by Taldren, right?
It is like saying that 2 cars have to have the same performance, just because they were built in the same year...

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:02:20 am »
It is like saying that 2 cars have to have the same performance, just because they were built in the same year...
They aren't, but what difference does it make? I just debunked your claim that it lags because the game is old.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 11:32:40 am »
They aren't, but what difference does it make?

*sigh*
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:01:07 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 12:07:56 pm »
Can you, please, make a proper point once in a while? What does anything you said in the post up there mean?

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 05:35:02 pm »
Makes enough sense to me. Especially the 2 different cars statement. Taldren is a gutless little car and others run like Ferraris.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 06:06:31 pm »
Like a Corvette and a Pinto of the same model year aren't going to perform the same.  Or SFC II and Say Half-Life Blue Shift aren't going to perform the same lag wise.  Although technically Blue-Shift came out six months later, that was the closest comparison that I can find that people will recognise.

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:27 pm »
Either way, I've got 1ghz internet and once my replacement charger for my laptop comes, I'll host a server on it so that way I can play too and for everyone to join, which should be a couple days. I'll update further when something happens.

Offline Kryptk9

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 11:19:13 am »
Got a server working, its called Test Server. Download my ftrlist and shiplist here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwHUGwoxuo_8a0pVOUxoYmM5Tzg . It's just OP+ 4.0 but for some reason it only works if you have the specific versions in the server.