Topic: DS9 phaser  (Read 7320 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
DS9 phaser
« on: August 14, 2017, 08:32:37 pm »
I'm watching season 6 and I notice something about the phaser. The are using "old" model and yet in Voyager they have more "modern" version.

Also I was wondering the movie First contact happen when in DS9? Since they have the newer model.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: DS9 phaser
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:59:53 pm »
First Contact happened sometime during Season 5.  By the Stardate it happened near the end (Sometime between Episode 22 and 24), but in dialogue it was referenced near the halfway point (It was referenced in Episode 14).  It was released in theatres after Episode 9 and the crew switched to the new uniforms for Episode 10.

The Compression Phaser Rifles were designed for Voyager, given all the reuse of props through the series it wouldn't surprise me if they showed up once or twice on DS9.  But they didn't seem to be all that popular, when First Contact came out, they hid a box full of First Contact Phaser Rifles on Voyager, they first appeared on screen in Voyager Season 3 Episode 12.  And would appear off and on along with the Compression Rifle from there.  First Contact debuted about 2 weeks prior to the airing of Voyager S3E12.

But they had all those old Phaser Rifle "Dummies" built for TNG, and wouldn't want them to go to waste, so they put them in the arms of an extra in a security uniform.  They probably didn't build that many First Contact Rifles, and the war scenes required more rifles than they built.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:04:50 pm »
I was wondering about the Defiant transporter. I got only those info:
6.3 TRANSPORTER SYSTEMS   

Defiant-class vessels normally carry one primary and one backup transporter on Deck 1.  The modular unit includes a 45 percent scaled version of the standard pattern buffer tank and molecular imaging scanners found on larger starships.  The transporter is powered by an impulse system EPS tap and is EM-shielded with a multilayer duranium jacket.  The hull-transporter emitter pads are armored with electroporous plating, which requires the computer to maintain tighter control over the ACB in terms of look angle in dwell time on both beam-up and beam-down targets.

Number of Systems: 3

Personnel Transporters: 2

Cargo Transporters: 1

But how many peoples can be beam with each transporter? I have seen that its a tree pad, so that would be six at the time that can be beam?

Also about the speed: Maximum Velocity Warp:  9.982 (12 hours maximum), Voyager top speed is 9.975 for the same time, (12 hours max) that would mean that the Defiant can be faster that Voyageur? But I don't remember them doing to that speed in DS9?

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:47 pm »
The Sound of her Voice.  A late season six episode had the Defiant topping out at about Warp 9.  Chief O'Brien said that they could do 9.5 but the structural integrity of the ship would shake itself apart for any extended length of time.  They got around it by bleeding power from their phaser reserves.  And were able to shave a day off of their travel time.

As for the transporters, I don't remember seeing any kind of large scale beaming from the Defiant.  There was "To the Death" a season 4 Episode where they beamed a large number of Starfleet and Jem Hadar soldiers down, but we never saw it in progress.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:02:24 am »
The Defiant is fast for a small ship, but not as fast as a Galaxy and neither is faster than an Intrepid-class, according to the official tech manuals.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:37:36 pm »
What is the speed of a Galaxy class? I don't remember much of TNG.

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:20:23 pm »
What is the speed of a Galaxy class? I don't remember much of TNG.

Nominal cruising speed: Warp 6
Maximum cruising: Warp 9.2
Maximum Rated (Emergency): Warp 9.6 for approx. 12 hours before safety systems kick in and drop the ship out of warp.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 08:10:31 pm »
The maximum speed for the Enterprise from "First contact" ?

So far Voyager or the Intrepid class is the fasted ship.

In DS9 season 1 what happen to Zek  (grand Nagus) son? I don't remember if we herd of him again?

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:02:02 am »
Prometheus is faster. Voy 4x14 'Message in a Bottle'. Cruising speed warp 9.9

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 10:37:45 am »
In DS9 season 2 episode 2 Sisco ask a communication with Admiral Chakotay. Is it the same Chakotay from Voyageur?

at 37:40 after all communication with Bajor where lost, he ask to contact Admiral Chakotay at Star Fleet command. I don't know if its the same one. If it is I knew he got Star Fleet training, the reason why Janeway make him commander, or acting commander?

Also what is the rank of O'Brien? I read some stuff but he don't seem to really have a rank, or somethink like Sergeant. But there are no rank of Sergeant.

Another thing, how come Nog could not read?  He's a Ferengey, how he suppose to made deal, contract if he can't read?

In season 6 or 7 that Nog got promoted from Cadet to Ensign and later to lieutenant. I was  trying to understand what he did to be promoted so fast compare to Harrry Kim on Voyageur?

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:03 pm »
In DS9 season 2 episode 2 Sisco ask a communication with Admiral Chakotay. Is it the same Chakotay from Voyageur?

at 37:40 after all communication with Bajor where lost, he ask to contact Admiral Chakotay at Star Fleet command. I don't know if its the same one. If it is I knew he got Star Fleet training, the reason why Janeway make him commander, or acting commander?

Also what is the rank of O'Brien? I read some stuff but he don't seem to really have a rank, or somethink like Sergeant. But there are no rank of Sergeant.

Another thing, how come Nog could not read?  He's a Ferengey, how he suppose to made deal, contract if he can't read?

In season 6 or 7 that Nog got promoted from Cadet to Ensign and later to lieutenant. I was  trying to understand what he did to be promoted so fast compare to Harrry Kim on Voyageur?

No Adrmiral Chekote also appears on TNG, in season 7.

Chakotay attained commander rank in Starfleet but was one of several officers that resigned their commission after the Maquis were formed.

His final rank is Master Chief Petty Officer.  Sergeant is an Army/Air Force/Marine Rank.  The equivalent rank in those Branches would be Master Sergeant.

In Ferengi society you either exploit, or be exploited.  In the early episodes Rom is a dunce, that Quark continuously exploits, and because Rom is stupid, Nog is considered as such too.  It wasn't until Season 3ish that writers decided to flip Rom into being someone who was simply introverted rather than plain stupid.

In times of War... people tend to fly up the ranks a lot faster than normally possible.  You've got positions to fill from all the casualties, and the people that fill them need to get promotions that correspond to them.  As for Kim... yeah, he should have been made a Lieutenant at least.  But not a lot of room for advancement on a ship with only 150 people on board.  The only way to get promoted in that environment is the death or retirement of a superior officer.  (which opens up a whole new problem with how Kim was a Senior Officer right out of the academy, he shouldn't have... freshly graduated cadets is the definition of Junior Officer...)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 11:40:15 am »
I was wondering something about the "currency" use in DS9. cold press latinum. It seem that every species or those who are not with the federation use that and in the Gamma quadrant also.

I find that its kinda weird. Gems, yea can be found in many planet since its a rock. But what ever is cold press latinum seem kinda weird. Gold since its a metal, yea. But it seem that everyone have that on them or like in a bank to make transaction.

In Voyager Tuvoc did get promoted to Lieutenant commander. Not many officer left that were Star Fleet. I mean in "senior officer"

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 11:47:04 am »
Season 2 episode 9 at 28:50 the captain ask if the protomater device was aboard the shuttle. Did the manage to "fix" protomater? During Kirk time it was unstable and dangerous I think? In Star Trek 3 Saavic was surprise or shock to learn that he use protomater.

Also the ship is call Prometheus. Why having two ship with the same name? Even if one is a prototype?

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 01:24:05 am »
Quark explains in a much later episode that the Gold itself is worthless, its the latninum, which is naturally in a liquid state, that's of value.  Someone centuries ago decided to encase the Latninum in gold, and Quark wonders whose idea it was.  To which Jadzia quips, "Probably someone who was tired of making change with an eye dropper."

Protomatter is still dangerous, I don't remember the particular circumstances, but I think he figured it out and wanted to know where it was.  Although it seems relatively easy (damn replicators) to make protomatter since the Changeling posing as Bashir managed to make some and try to destroy the Bajoran Star with it.

Star Trek's ranking system doesn't correspond with Military ranking system unfortunately.  If Star Trek was depicting real ships, you'd have the following system, assuming a Cruiser.

CO: Captain
XO: Commander/Lt. Commander
3O: (Night watch officer) Lt. Commander
Department Heads: Lt. Commander/Lieutenant
Department XOs: Lieutenant Junior Grade
Junior Officers: Lieutenant Junior Grade/Ensign

The Senior Officers would be the CO, XO, 3O, all Department Heads (So Engineering, Medical, Security, Science)  The Conn and Operations and Communications officer wouldn't be there.

As for the 2 Prometheus.  Its safe to assume that the first one was destroyed during the brief Klingon/Federation skirmish.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »
Or during the Dominion war?

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »
probably not.  Its really rare to recommission a ship so soon after its predecessor is destroyed.  Especially considering that Message in a Bottle took place only a couple of months in, and the amount of time it would take to build that Starship, even if they didn't consider its name until halfway through the construction phase, would kinda preclude renaming it that fast.  But more than likely its just sloppy writing, even that short of a window is a bit of a stretch.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:15:49 am »
I should probably add on the Gold Pressed Latninum issue.  Moneyless systems don't work well in systems where there is money.  Supposedly, the Federation of the 24th Century is a society where everyone has everything they want, and just need to order from the Replicator something new.  The only really valuable stuff comes from things that can't be replicated.  Latninum is one such thing.  But now here's where it falls on its face.  Fuel still costs, something.  If not money, then what?  If fuel were free, then you'd never have to worry about range on a Starship, because you could just keep replicating more fuel.  Parts break down?  Replicate a new part.  TNG writers look back on Roddenberry's Replicator as the worst thing ever "invented" because of this very thing.  The Federation kind of took a step back in society because it falls back on a barter system, rather than currency.  Currency was usually first introduced because a farmer couldn't trade a rancher enough food for an ox. Instead the farmer sold 50 other people food, for which they gave him currency, so he could go to the rancher and trade him the currency for the ox.

Putting the Federation aside for the moment and not dealing with their lack of money.  It's very clear that all the other powers do use money.  It's mentioned by every race, Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Dominion member, Bajoran.  Now of course, all of them use their own kind of currency, and an exchange rate is determined based on, among other things, the likelihood of doing business with them in the future.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 11:27:18 am »
Not every race uses money.  Organians and Q for example.  :)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 09:21:08 am »
You forget the Borg and the Founder  ;D