Topic: Picard Series  (Read 11223 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Picard Series
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:23:00 am »
This is old news, but I'm surprised noone mentioned it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/04/arts/star-trek-patrick-stewart-picard.html

edit:
looking at the article more closely that @&&hole Kurtzman is involved.  Therefore, it won't be Star Trek, and I won't watch it.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
Re: Picard Series
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 03:14:13 pm »
Don't write it off so fast. My take is it's part of the damage control related to STD. It may turn out decently.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:47:03 pm »
Do feel free to write it off. You got it right with Kurtzman. This won't be Picard post the post TNG era that we all know and loved, but something else.  ::)
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:55 am »
Don't write it off so fast. My take is it's part of the damage control related to STD. It may turn out decently.

I don't think so.  I just wish they'd stop with the stupid.  AS far as Hollywood is concerned, people with imagination are just losers, so they're not going to put the precious ST copyrights in the hands of the type low-life that actually writes science fiction.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »
I am looking forward to this, mainly because I trust Stewart's judgement on Picard's evolution.  I doubt that Stewart needs the money, and the personal regimen of a weekly TV series is not for the faint-hearted, so I doubt that the plot and script of the show will be the flaw, if there is one.  I have no love for anyone from the JJA staff, Kurtzman included, but I'm thinking the clout of Stewart will have elicited better quality than what we've seen previously.

Anyone else curious to see Picard meet up with Neela Daren again?   He could be chasing an exo-archaeology lead and have need of stellar cartographer.

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 07:08:10 pm »
I skipped Discovery after the pilot because it.. well just no - I couldn't accept it as Trek.

Picard has been surprisingly decent so far - that last episode was a killer!

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:05:51 am »
While it's not my favorite series, you did yourself a disservice not watching more of Disco, in my opinion it's gotten stronger and stronger, with the 2nd season and Pike especially.

I just finished Picard and feel it was an excellent series. A modern non-episodic version of Trek with a superb cast.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 08:40:08 pm »
I didn’t have high hopes for this when I first saw it.  Thought it was a little bit better part way through.  Now I think the series is a raging dumpster fire.  Attacking space flowers??!?  F&(/ off with that.

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 02:40:53 pm »
TAnimaL,

I suppose I could give it a chance - I hear it has some mirror darkly parts which are always a guilty pleasure of mine.

(not to mention I've ran out of shows that I can watch without the wife currently)

Javora,

No doubt the flowers are goofy - but Trek has always had some goofy elements in this way. Culturally it seems logistically consistent with the world building they did in the show.

There are a few too many happy coincidences in the Picard series for my liking - but it did feel like legitimate Trek to me.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 03:59:30 am »
I think the actors in STP tried there best to make a good show.  The plot didn’t work for me, Picard “not” dying had me rolling my eyes.  Altered Carbon does this so much better.  If you started this show with low expectations I don’t think people would be disappointed.  With P. Steward I had higher expectations.

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 03:11:50 pm »
The show is crap.   That is all.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 04:45:32 pm »
Each to their own opinion AlDaja.  I found it refreshing and at least reaching out to be new. I think the actors, esp Ryan & Stewart, got to do more and better with their characters in such a short series. I agree Lono, some story shortcuts were taken at the end but wrapping things up quickly has always been a problem in Trek, hasn't it?

I'll admit, I got a little sniffly in some scenes, and not because of any nostalgia, but for what the actors did with their characters - Riker & Troi's loss, Icheb and Hugh's fate and that impact, Stewart playing to his age, etc

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 12:45:19 pm »
AlDaja got it right.  I wish people would stop apologizing for this abomination and everything else perverted by Secret Hideout and Bad Robot.  I renounce JJ Abrams and all his works.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 01:11:21 pm »
And I'm equally sick of people jumping up and down with hate on Star Trek.
I'm not in any way "apologizing" when I say I like it, I'm stating my opinion. I like it, a lot. And as I said, to each their own opinion Tulwar, although blanket statements like "abomination" and "perversion" are not real useful critique, just flame-boy rants.

And FFS, JJ & Bad Robot have nothing (nada ,zilch, zero). To Do. With Picard. Or Discovery. Nothing. "Bu.. buut... Kurtzman!!"  Yeah yeah, he helped write the JJs, but from these two shows he's shown he knows more about ST than Harve Bennet or Fred Freiberger ever did.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 01:20:29 pm »
It offends me. >:(

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 01:17:16 pm »
It offends me. >:(

I am finding that Discovery offends me - as I expected - but as long as I think of it as goofy fan fiction I am enjoying it for what it is.

Picard I found to be much more enjoyable.

When TNG first came out I was pretty offended - and the first season is still pretty hard to watch - but they did recover nicely. I don't see new Trek recovering nicely anytime soon - and I think the video games are going to be the most faithful to Roddenberry's original concept going forward.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 08:51:14 pm »
And I'm equally sick of people jumping up and down with hate on Star Trek.
I'm not in any way "apologizing" when I say I like it, I'm stating my opinion. I like it, a lot. And as I said, to each their own opinion Tulwar, although blanket statements like "abomination" and "perversion" are not real useful critique, just flame-boy rants.

And FFS, JJ & Bad Robot have nothing (nada ,zilch, zero). To Do. With Picard. Or Discovery. Nothing. "Bu.. buut... Kurtzman!!"  Yeah yeah, he helped write the JJs, but from these two shows he's shown he knows more about ST than Harve Bennet or Fred Freiberger ever did.

Kurtzman knows NOTHING about Star Trek.  He is a purveyer of low brow scifi.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:56:10 am »
Oy.
 Part of what you said Lono hits the nail on the effin' head - y'all did this when TNG came out. And when DS9 came out. And, etc etc. etc. It "offends" you, Tulwar? I think you're taking it too personally there. I strongly dislike Garth Brooks, so I just don't listen to him, but I am not "offended" by his existence.  ::)

Let's admit, ST is one of those entities that inspires passion in its fans (short for "fanatic"), and we feel a certain ownership to it, which is something the IP owners are wise to respect, but, in the end, we have NO control over it. So, yes, feeling negative about this interpretation or that episode is perfectly reasonable, but the histrionic extravagant statements undercut any real critique and are just fanboy hissy-fits.

Lono, I have to question what you mean by ST games and Roddenberry's concept. Which games? ST Online? Fleet Command? IDK those games. This one?? That makes me laugh and cry - SFC is entirely from SFB, the creator of which (SVC) is a direct rebuke of everything Roddenberry envisioned for ST.  Trekkies need to stop invoking his name to rationalize their own mind-version of what ST is, because, and I really emphatically mean this, most of you have a much different idea of what ST is than what Roddenbery talked about, and even Roddenberry was wrong about ST often, which is why the influence of Gene Coon, DC Fontana, et. al. helped make it what it is.

Sorry knightstorm, it looks like less than 1/3 of what Kutzman has done can be called scfi, and, for the last goddamn time, you don't get HOW television works. The "showrunner" producer is Michael Chabon who does know a ton about ST, and, a lot about writing.

When it comes down to it, I think there are 2 types of ST fans - those who want it to continue, and those who want it locked up like a ship in a bottle

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 12:47:16 pm »
Then there is the 3rd type that do want it to continue but to be recognizably Trek.  When you keep revising the history so what was Trek is not compatible with what is now supposed to be Trek then you have ceased to have Trek.  If you want to do a show that is so incompatible with what has gone before than make YOUR OWN CREATION.  Don't keep cannibalizing the work of the original creator(s) to force it into a mold that is not compatible.

The Louvre may own the Mona Lisa but if they decide to repaint over it to make "her" a trans man with goatee and mustache they would need to expect art lovers to take action.  This is fundamentally no different from a TV shows fans.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 06:34:56 pm »

Lono, I have to question what you mean by ST games and Roddenberry's concept. Which games? ST Online? Fleet Command? IDK those games. This one?? That makes me laugh and cry - SFC is entirely from SFB, the creator of which (SVC) is a direct rebuke of everything Roddenberry envisioned for ST.  Trekkies need to stop invoking his name to rationalize their own mind-version of what ST is, because, and I really emphatically mean this, most of you have a much different idea of what ST is than what Roddenbery talked about, and even Roddenberry was wrong about ST often, which is why the influence of Gene Coon, DC Fontana, et. al. helped make it what it is.

From what i have viewed it appears that ST Online, and the new VR Bridge Commander, have kept the feel of the "authentic" Trek. KOTOR Online also did this for Star Wars while Disney destroyed the 3rd SW trilogy. (Although the Solo movie and the Clone Wars and The Mandalorian shows all have a good "authentic" feel now)

I played SFB tabletop back in the days - like many of us - and would agree it was about epic battles and not real ST world building.