Topic: What madness has this year driven you to do?  (Read 361 times)

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
What madness has this year driven you to do?
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »
So - super sh*tty year - instead of meeting with two billionaire investors I had lined up for my new start ups - I lost my amazing 15 year old cat - had my work hours severely cut - and my father passed away.

I was having a hard time of it and remembered how much I enjoyed watching/playing SFB at my board gaming club back as a youth - so I decided to take serious board gaming back up again after 30+ years.

I will not deny this involved a bit of retail therapy - and a partial decent into collecting madness.

Here is the result (so far):

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/empirecollector

If you are on BGG add me as a buddy and hit me up anytime.

Sooo…   fellow members -  what madness did this year of the plague drive you towards?

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Re: What madness has this year driven you to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:26:08 pm »
Well I was diagnose with Parkinson's Disease on 12th February 2020. I have it in my left hand.

Then this Covid 19 pandemic happened a few weeks later!!

I restored to back to running three 1970's classic 2 stroke barn find motorcycles (two for somebody else) during the spring / summer UK lockdown.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:22:20 pm by Panzergranate »
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »
Nice!

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis - but I am envious of your most productive use of your time!

I had intended to get better at chess - and pick up speed cubing this year - but since my work had several rounds of layoffs - they - of course - want everyone who's left to pick up the slack.

Now I just need to win the lottery so I have time to get some game on. I have become obsessed with Memoir 44 for some reason - and look forward to taking some of its WWII scenarios for a test drive soon.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 04:46:25 pm »
I've been lucky overall.  My job is classified as essential and the only time I've missed is this week where the workload is so low that I asked for the week off without pay rather than commute on public transit with nothing to do all week.  No one I know personally has gotten it that I know of though the husband of one of my coworkers died or it. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Lono

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »
Nemesis,

That sounds like you have been blessed so far - I am very glad to hear it!

My wife works for telecom so her lucrative contracting gig was actually extended by a year due to the extra work.

I am super high risk due to my blood pressure meds (which increase ace2 receptors in my body) - and I was in and out of the hospital for all of 2019 with breathing issues - so I am particularly paranoid.

(although years of suffering from irrational OCD have well-prepared me for this whole thing)

I feel like I have been sacrificing my mental and physical health somewhat to keep up with work - however - I have been in a much better working environment (in general) working from home.

I am very optimistic about 2021 - but man did this year sucker punch me out of nowhere.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
As I said lucky.  The worst I can complain of is boredom and cabin fever.  Eagerly looking forward to the end of this.  Hope you are early getting a good vaccine. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 07:42:04 pm »
I'm just relieved that I have Parkinson's and not Motor Neuron Disease (a living death trapped in a immobilised body!!).

In the UK, scientists have noticed that MND sufferers all have one thing in common, they're all athletes or fitness fanatics. Apparently something they do triggers MND in some people. There are government scientists looking into it, the BBC reported last month.
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:27:25 am »
The madness of 2020 has gotten me to try to revive SFC as a viable game :)
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 10:14:15 am »
It always has been a viable game!1 It makes Star Trek Legacy look like a sucky kid's arcade game.....

I'm working on the issues with models that run perfectly fine on the original SFC 1 not working properly on the GOG Windows 10 compatible version of SFC 1.

It appears that models created using Milk Shape seem to be the ones with texture attachment problems. I'll have a list of old models that don't work with GOG SFC 1.

Anything made by Andrull & Cleeve work perfectly fine with no issues.