Topic: A Comprehensive List of Starship Names, Registries, And Sizes  (Read 68943 times)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Re: A Comprehensive List of Starship Names, Registries, And Sizes
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2007, 06:44:35 pm »
Ah, but being able to quickly drop off something millitary and large directly to the surface is a tactical advantage in a war or raid. Some things just won't fit inside a shuttle ya know!! ;D

A tatical pod carrying BOP would be potent weapon, especially for Black Fleet covert operations or just commando raids.

Just drop out of Warp close in to the planet, cloak, drop straight into the atmosphere, dust off the payload and up back into space again, cloak and await for an extraction request, unless its a one way mission.

Kind of like a Chinook does now, but with moe class.

Anyone else see the potential here??

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Anthony Scott

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Off chasing a lunatic 8 year old :D:P
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2008, 12:13:59 am »
Found these two links to some TOS Fed ships over in another forum:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/Starship_Name_Registry.pdf

http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/Fed_NCC_Numbers.pdf

hope these come in handy.

Semper Fi, Carry On

"No enemy can ever completely defeat you. A physical enemy can take your land, your gold, your property. But in order to be defeated uttelry only you can allow that. The human heart can only be crushed from within, not without."- The Dalai Lama

My art blog:
http://anthdigiart.blogspot.com/
My Deviant Art page:
http://anthsco.deviantart.com/
Resident forum history junkie.

"An intelligent man must sometimes get drunk to spend time with fools."
                      -Ernest Hemingway

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2008, 02:05:03 pm »
I've been checking out the ADB SFB site and tryng out some of the new playtest SSDs, which are still in the final stages of development.

The most recent is  the Hydran Mobile Listening Post, which is intended to temporaily replace lost or off line Listing Posts on a front line.

Having tried out a FMSE senario where a Klingon F5Y and F5G were supposed to capture the H-MLP. Unfortunately, the thing makes a Q-Ship look poorly armed and the feeble armament of the F5Y was unable to dent the shields, before the 6 x fighters poured out and made trouble.

Using a D6D and D5G worked out 50 - 50 on repeated tests, but seemed excessive for a capture mission senario.

I think that the shields are a tad too high for the role of the ship.

Anyone else want to convert a Hydran Freighter to H-MLP spec and try it out, it is on the ADB playtest ships page. It also points out they were pushed into service as Auxilary Scout Cruisers for EW purposes.

Chances are that the ship will be accepted into SFB in a modified form and appear in some future material releases.

A possible project for modellers at sometime.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline JohanobesusII

• Lt. Junior Grade
Markings and Fonts
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2008, 05:15:05 am »
On a related note, to make sure your Federation ships have their names in the proper styles, check out Starfleet Decals - A Chronology of Starship Hull Markings (trekmarkings.com).  This is the classic article detailing Starfleet hull markings from TOS through Enterprise.  It has images and brief descriptions of the fonts. 

This site has been mentioned many times before, but it seems to me such a valuable resource that it ought to be stickied, and this thread seems like a reasonable place for it.  Also, it has moved at least once recently.  The fortunecity address I had bookmarked was dead, and it took me a while to find it at its current location.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2008, 09:22:45 am »
A lot of duplicate names on the NCC list.  Most (not all) of the SCXs are duplicated under the CA/CC class.  Not something that would happen.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »
Some dupicate ships were probally lost or scrapped. Also starships are not constructed in NCC numerical order, rather in the order of priority and convienece for Star Fleet and contracted shipyards. The NCC number simply denotes the order that the contract was placed originally, which would be several years before construction, in some cases.

Offline Julin Eurthyr

• Veltrassi Ambassador at Large
  • Lt. Commander
  • Back in Exile due to Win 7 - ISC RM/Strat Com.
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2008, 11:32:50 am »
A lot of duplicate names on the NCC list.  Most (not all) of the SCXs are duplicated under the CA/CC class.  Not something that would happen.

What list are you talking about???

If it's ADB's list, remember too that a lot of ships see conversion from one class to another (DNL -> DNV Star Tiger for one off the top of my head), and always keep their name during the conversion.

AKA: Koloth Kinshaya - Lord of the House Kinshaya in the Klingon Empire
S'Leth - Romulan Admiral
Some anonymous strongman in Prime Industries

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:06 pm »

Ship names can be reused if destroyed (tho not common), also names can be on more then one list if a ship was refited into a different class.  How many classes has the Enterprise been through so far.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2008, 01:26:54 pm »
True, but supposedly those ships were deployed at the same time.  No two ships will have the same ship name at the same time.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2008, 01:34:01 pm »
True, but supposedly those ships were deployed at the same time.  No two ships will have the same ship name at the same time.

true,  as a general rule.  But there have been exceptions in wet navies.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2008, 03:35:33 pm »
It is the keel a maritime vessel that is laid down first and this is what retains the name if the ship is rebuilt toa new design, evn with new frames as the original keel will remain.

Therefore, it is possible to totally rebuild a starship to a new design yet retain the original NCC number despite the new name, as some part of the original keel and space frame are incorporated in the new build.

It happens in the current modern and past ship building for sea going vessels, so why not for starships in the 23rd century.

A typical example is the world's first aircraft carrier, HMS Argus, which started out as a naval collier, back in the 1900's. Another is one of the Japanese carriers from WW2 was a reworked cruiser.... with a different name.

The trend for NCC numbers to be reused is more like an acknowledgement of a starship's life history.

As for the Klingons, much honour in battle has been won on many warships and this is valued.... so most old hulls are rebuild into new technology designs at the end of their service life.... aka the D4, etc.

Offline Commander_Graham

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2020, 08:22:25 am »
Glad NCC  7851 is still open for the USS Legacy.

NCC 7850 is the USS Ulysses. It is actually textured on the KA and SFC models by Taldren.

Sorry if this is necro, thought it was a community ship registry.