Topic: SFC Gold Romulan Campaign: 'Howdy Neighbor' - Suggestions Needed  (Read 4502 times)

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
What are your strategy and tactics for the Romulan 'Howdy Neighbor' star base assault mission? I've run through every scenario that I can think of, including capturing all of the Defense Platforms.

I can win against the enemy starships and defense platforms, but the star base ends up either destroying my ship(s) or damaging them beyond combat ability.

My fleet consists of 2 KR battle cruisers.

Does anyone have a preferred method for this mission?

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
Re: SFC Gold Romulan Campaign: 'Howdy Neighbor' - Suggestions Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 02:06:19 pm »
I haven't played the SFC 1 Romulan campaign yet, as I prefer thee Federation & Klingon campaigns.

Suggestions:

Make use of shuttles programmed to attack when dealing with the enemy ships.
Find & beam up spare parts (magic screws) from planets to repair your ships.
Use hit & run marine sabotage attacks on the base's transporter & nastiest weapons.
Wait until you have better ships in the campaign before doing this mission.
Add TNG Romulan ship models into your game and use them in the mission.

If the base is Gorn then winning isn't an option.

In the campaign missions, sometimes withdrawing from the battle, after inflicting damage, is the winning move for the mission.
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 10:24:11 pm »
Thank you, Panzergranate.  In particular, I may re-run the campaign and get a better ship before signing up for this special mission.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 05:42:47 pm »
The hit & run list operates a priority from the top down so the order in which you sequence your attacks matters. Always take out thee enemy transporter firs as it prevents counter hit & run raids plus stops transporter mines aimed at you.

Doing a flyby and dropping mines onto a specific shield will weaken it. Beaming them out allows a rapid deployment of a mine cluster next to an N & M key mine drop. They will time out and explode together, taking down the shield or you can target a suicide shuttle to fly through them to set them off. As a Fed or Klingon player, I fire a drone missile through them to set them off. Think of mines as nuclear C4 demolition charges when dealing with bases, defence platforms, etc.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:27:02 pm »
Personally I don't remember that mission but if you approach while cloaked once they fire for minimal effect you can hit them with enveloping torpedoes (even 4 Gs will do 160 points and strip shields) and your phasers. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 04:13:49 pm »
Great tips.  Thanks to you both.  I'll utilize them.

Nemesis, that mission is part of the Tal'Praiex special line, involving 'The Traveler's Death' plague afflicting the Romulans.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 05:00:26 pm »
Don't remember it.  When it came to the single player campaign I don't think I did the Romulans. 

When playing Romulans I found opponents were very surprised when I used the "alternate" modes of the Plasma Torpedo.  Enveloping can be a real shock (especially good against shieldless monsters).  Shotgun does so as well when facing a "target rich environment".  Under loading to a F to speed loading up can bloody their nose when they KNOW you can't have a plasma ready yet so they close in to knife fight.  Finally of course there is the shock of your not having them all loaded so you have more power for something else.

This alternate mode surprise applies to other weapons and races as well. 

Partially cloaking can cause them to fire early into a ecm shift for reduced damage then you uncloak and rip them up. 

Uncloaking while coming up behind can make them HET.  If they do it early and don't break down or fire restore the cloak.  Done repeatedly they either have to let you hit them from behind or they WILL break down either works to your advantage.  My (now ex)brother-in-law hated my doing that to him in a battle he set up and told me he couldn't lose.

As a Romulan don't forget your NSM. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:30:34 pm »
I vaguely remember this mish...many moons ago--i recall use of Nemesis tactics for most of the campaign.
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 06:43:49 pm »
Hope you’re doing well Razal, wow it’s been a while...