Topic: Give Romulans a quantum singularity  (Read 21347 times)

Aenigma

Give Romulans a quantum singularity
« on: January 22, 2003, 02:51:55 am »
The Romulan Star Empire in the series use singularity engines on their ships, along with the standard warpdrives. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a singularity in the game as well? Romulans are reknowned for their great advantages in engine technology so why not?

I don't believe it should produce more warp power than a lvl X standard core, but it should be lighter (6500 instead of 7900) and it should be a lot more expensive (40000 instead of the ±20000 for the normal X warpcore).

Just an idea.

Aenigma  

Commodore

Re: Give Romulans a quantum singularity
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 02:59:21 am »
Ya, give them a singularity so that the rom players will have to go back to romulan space to refuel after enery battle!  

ActiveX

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 04:00:12 am »
Actually. this would solve the Warbird maneuverability problem...the QSD would have a negative mass, maybe negative 5000 or so, this would be interesting to test...hmm...and this is why Warbirds could outmaneuver most ships half its size...  

LongTooth

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 04:48:24 am »
The quantum singularity is a black hole it does not need to be refuled or shut down  
In fact it cant be shut down
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 04:49:56 am by LongTooth »

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 04:59:05 am »
Good idea. That is the first step towards the greatly needed racial flavor...
And the Warbird could really use some more engine mass.

Aenigma

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 05:09:38 am »

Quote:

.....the QSD would have a negative mass, maybe negative 5000 or so

We do not know if Quantum singularities, or black holes, even have mass, so asuming they have negative mass is a bit straightforward. If they don't have mass, there still has to be quite a casing around it to contain it, so it should have a positive mass. It wouldn't be fair to other races if it didn't have a positive mass.

Aenigma  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 05:26:32 am »
Hmm... actually black holes are extremely massive, but it would be pretty useless to have a huge QSD instead of a warp core.

BTW not only warbirds are supposed to be powered by QSDs, in fact, the romulans don't use standard warp cores at all, only QSDs in every ship. That's the reason for them having hollow parts (I hink I read that somewhere...).

Maybe It would be fair to have a very efficient warp core (AKA QSD) in exchange for it being easily damaged (compared to what warp cores will be after the patch) or having a moderate chance of it destabilizing somehow.

Aenigma

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 06:15:23 am »
Black holes are indeed extremely massive, but we don't know if this mass is actually mass as we know it. Because of the extreme circumstances inside the singularity it could be energy as well. Actually mass and energy are connected.

Aenigma  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 06:47:39 am »
I fear this will lead into a scientific debate if this goes on hehe...

Even though we don't know what are the conditions of matter, energy, or both inside a black hole (there are some interesting theories though), this is, below the event horizon, we actually know that black holes act as extremely massive star bodies due to the gravitational disturbances they create. If they create a gravitational disturbance, regardless of the actual conditions of the black hole itself, it is logic to think that the source(?) that is creating the disturbance will affect everything about it, in this case, a ship using it as an energy source...or not...  

Cleaven

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 07:07:22 am »
Black holes do not need much mass in a stellar sense, with their formation being possible for a star only a little bigger than our own Sol.

But a quantum singularity, if one actually existed, would not have mass on this order. It would be much smaller, having sufficient mass to produce the required spatial distortion to provide warp power and yet still be containable. Could gravitons be manipulated to negate mass? Well you already have gravity webs keeping Sulu's backside in his plastic chair while he is at the helm station and anti-grav units to move around very heavy (confused and self-destructing) space probes so the precident has been set.  

ActiveX

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 07:54:36 am »
Actually, the supposed 'canon' approach to expalining QSDs is simple:

Since the actual mass of the Singularity is way too much for a ship to move, the Romulans use inertial dampeners to negate the mass effects of the singularity. This effect actually make the ship seems to be less in mass than the actual masses of the parts it is composed of. This is why a Warbird on the TV series can dance around a Galaxy...

So, I think all we need to change is the masses of the Rom cores to the reciprocal values...basically just use the same number, but make it negative...

Does this work? It makes the Roms more like the Roms...  

Robb Stark

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 08:14:14 am »
How does it make the "Roms more like Roms?"  All I'm seeing here, for practical purposes, is the idea that the mass of the warp cores for Romulans be reduced.  You can say it's because of their Quantum Singularities if you like, or you can say it's because of a double cheeseburger in space - the practical result is the warp core mass is reduced.

The practical upshot is that Romulan ships would have more mass for thrusters and impulse.  Faster, more maneuverable Romulans... is this what the game needs?   I don't think so.  Speed and maneuverability are supposed to be the Klingon advantages.  Give those advantages to the Romulans, and we'll see even LESS racial diversity, not more.  

ActiveX

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 08:20:06 am »
Oh did I mention that only large Romulans ships could even think about using a QSD? And isnt it the large Rommies ships that are horribly slow?  

Whiplash

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 09:41:03 am »
The Rom singularity was their power core. It would be there in place of a warp core. I have no idea which would be more massive. Containing exploding antimatter takes some serious hardware. Containing a (lot of?) rapidly spinning micro-black-holes would take some serious hardware also. I don't think there is a justification for saying one is lighter or better than the other.

You could state that the Rom warp core is powered by a QSD rather than M-AM annihilation. Its a name change only. So my question is, What would you change to the way a warp core operates to give the Roms individual flavor (thats also not unbalancing)?

Speaking of cores, the Breen, if they ever appear, should get a warpcore power-dampening weapon. The only odd thing is it doesn't affect Klingon power cores. Don't know about Rom. They can't give them a weapon that only affected Feds. Would anyone play with it?

W.

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2003, 09:45:52 am »
Quote:

The practical upshot is that Romulan ships would have more mass for thrusters and impulse.  Faster, more maneuverable Romulans... is this what the game needs?   I don't think so.  Speed and maneuverability are supposed to be the Klingon advantages.  Give those advantages to the Romulans, and we'll see even LESS racial diversity, not more.  

Er... so what are the romulan advantages? Don't give the romulans the ability to outmaneuver klinks, but a DN with only 3 heavy hardpoints and which hardly can go over .55 in maneuver rating...is a joke.

Quote:

Speaking of cores, the Breen, if they ever appear, should get a warpcore power-dampening weapon. The only odd thing is it doesn't affect Klingon power cores. Don't know about Rom. They can't give them a weapon that only affected Feds. Would anyone play with it?

I think we'll be lucky if we get the dominion and cardassians...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Son of Technobabble »

NJAntman

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2003, 09:51:48 am »
I don't care about the specifics. Just the thought of popping a Rom and watching the debris fall back into the spinning singularity! Haven't seen that since SFC1! (somewhere, think it was a bonus mission?) Granted the patch to include it better contain a better damage graphic or watching the Rom go pop would be short lived at short range.  

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2003, 10:20:20 am »
Agreed. But when I blow up a Warbird it should trigger a massive phase transition which sucks up the entire sector into the point where it died.

Also, Fed ships should have their yogurt dispensers.  

Tannhauser

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2003, 10:33:25 am »
Here's a thought (two, actually):
1.  There's no need to alter the mass of the Romulan engines.  Instead, just give them more power.  Perhaps one of the Romulan advantages should be the fact that their warp drives provide more power than the other races.
2.  I believe the patch will alter the damage done by an exploding ship so that it is based on the level of the warp drive, or how much of it is still undamaged, or something like that.  Well, simply double the damage for Romulans since they use an artificial quantum singularity.  

theRomulan

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2003, 12:07:05 pm »
Having flown Romulan quite a bit, they do not need more maneuverability.  That's ridiculous.  The Romulans can't have their cake and everyone else's too.  

Romulans, contrary to popular belief, are far from inferior, or devoid of disadvantages.

1.) Cloaking device. Sure, it ain't so hot right now with the bugs and the ease of probes, but if you stay out of the person frontal view, keep distance, move position a lot, and actually decloak when to fire at appropriate times, then romulans are pretty powerful.

2.) Plasma torpedoes, despite this so called 'horrid' hit rate, actually does hit quite a bit, and does a good deal of damage.  The truth is, it's not a long range weapon meant to be fired at even light angular velocities.  Don't fire unless you know your shot is pretty much dead on, or you get a tractor to bring velocity to zero.  Don't fire while at point blank range, that hikes velocity up to 100.  Don't fire when you're still turning. Etc. etc. etc.  

3.) Disruptors recharge rate is not the best, but the damage is pretty decent, especially if you overload.  

Giving roms, especially their bigger ships like the warbird, more maneuverability is crazy.  We'd be giving them the most powerful heavy weapon in the game, along with a nice cloaking device, and then the ability to run circles around their opponents to boot.  That's asking for trouble.  Warbird has only three heavy hardpoints.  Yes, and there's a reason for that.  You can load it up with heavy plasma if you wanted.  That's incredible crunch power, I hope no one gets hit with that.  If they had anymore heavy weapons, we'd all be screaming for our lives.  Add on a cloaking device to escape our aim and appear behind us.  No, the romulans are just fine, thank you.  

Aenigma

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2003, 12:51:52 pm »
......................................You just spread confidential information! The Tal Shiar will have you executed for this!  

Well, i still believe that Romulans should get a qs-drive besides the warpcores, and NO i'm not proposing to give them a big bonus. Does anyone read the beginning of a post? It will give some 1400 (or less should it be more balanced) extra to spend on engine space, a lvl 5 engine and a lvl 5 thruster (total mass 1850) are the best you can fit to it with a warpcore X. With just 1400 extra mass you can get only VII both, but it will still be not too maneouvrable or fast, at least not as much as klingons. It is stated that:

Romulans have the weakest armor. Their ships are build for surprise attacks, and are rather fragile. www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/sfc3/info_rom_ships.shtml

They are build for surprise attacks, but if you have to warp to surprise someone (get behind one without being detected), you'll end up dead if they have anti-cloak on-line.

Aenigma  

Robb Stark

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2003, 01:20:31 pm »
Quote:

Er... so what are the romulan advantages? Don't give the romulans the ability to outmaneuver klinks, but a DN with only 3 heavy hardpoints and which hardly can go over .55 in maneuver rating...is a joke.

Warbird has four heavy hardpoints - one faces to the rear.

And I'm not saying the Roms don't merit advantages.  Improve the Romulan cloak so it's better than the Klingon cloak - sure thing.  Improve Plasma accuracy - absolutely.  Tweak the Warbird design a bit more to make her competitive - no problem.  But decreasing warp core mass across the board is not an appealing solution.  Like we need a faster, more maneuverable Raptor?  No thanks.  

Thanos1

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2003, 01:56:26 pm »
Actually, Robb Stark (hey nice name btw, another Martin fan:D), the Warbird has THREE heavy hardpoints, all facing forward. The raptor has four, with one facing rear.

The above, combined with the fact that the warbird is slower, heavier, needs more power and has only one more primary hardpoint (360 arc, but doesn't mean much when you are a Rom) than the Raptor, makes me forget about the Warbird altogether and stick with the BCH.

-suleo

Cmdr. Krotz

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2003, 01:56:37 pm »
Roms are going to be plenty competitive when the official patch is finally released- probes being fixed makes cloaking much more viable, and plasmas that bat 3 for 3 against tractored targets (or can even do so at ranges up to 20+, sometimes) are plentiful improvements enough, just wait and see...

There isn't really any special ST reason to believe quantum singularity drives are particularly better than standard warp drives, if anything, they are meant to represent romulan ingenuity in overcoming a problem that severely  hindered their ability to become major players in the ST universe. In SFC1&2 manuals, it alludes to the RSE being resource-poor; in old, mostly forgotten, pre-ST:NG lore, dilithium was extremely scarce in the RSE, enough so that while the romulans could certainly design effective warp drives, they were SOL when it came to production, which made getting klingon ships an advantage when the rom/klingon alliance was formed. The QSD (didn't they have SFC1 mssions involving roms experiementing w/ QSDs, I almost think I vaguely remember such a thing, could just be my imagination though), rather than representing an inherently superior system, is instead an alternative technology designed by the romulans to get around dilithium supply problems...it's already assumed in the game that roms have QSDs powering their warp drives, in-lieu of the matter/antimatter power systems of other races (as demonstrated when roms sabotage their QSDs in one of the last missions of the SFC3 fed campaign).

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2003, 02:04:38 pm »
Quote:

Having flown Romulan quite a bit, they do not need more maneuverability.  That's ridiculous.  The Romulans can't have their cake and everyone else's too.  

Romulans, contrary to popular belief, are far from inferior, or devoid of disadvantages.

1.) Cloaking device. Sure, it ain't so hot right now with the bugs and the ease of probes, but if you stay out of the person frontal view, keep distance, move position a lot, and actually decloak when to fire at appropriate times, then romulans are pretty powerful.

I don't think many people will allow you to cloak without at least trying to fire while you do, so you'd better be out of their heavy arcs when you do. Besides, nobody will sit back and wait for you to charge your plasma H, get behind them, and whoop their asses that easily. That's why plasma misses so much. Nobody flies in a straight line with a cloaked romulan around.

Quote:

3.) Disruptors recharge rate is not the best, but the damage is pretty decent, especially if you overload.  

To overload disruptors you will have to either have a large warp core OR sacrifice significant power to shields and/or plasma. A larger warp core means less maneuverability. Back to the beginning it seems...

Quote:

Warbird has only three heavy hardpoints. Yes, and there's a reason for that. You can load it up with heavy plasma if you wanted. That's incredible crunch power, I hope no one gets hit with that. If they had anymore heavy weapons, we'd all be screaming for our lives.

Three heavy plasma torps require HUGE power, if you want to have decent shields and disruptors.
I didn't say that more heavy hardpoints should be forward firing. But one aiming backwards could be used for say, a tachyon pulse (greatly underrated weapon) or an AMM layer.

I doesn't make much sense to me that a CL has more heavy hardpoints than a DN...but that's another thread.

Oh and plasma is the slowest charging weapon of all the game, which ensures that if you cloak to charge it, when you decloak your opponent's weapons will be ready for a nasty surprise. AND you will not have any shields.

As I stated before, rommies could really use some more maneuverability...  

Cmdr. Krotz

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2003, 02:11:59 pm »
Quote:

Actually, Robb Stark (hey nice name btw, another Martin fan:D), the Warbird has THREE heavy hardpoints, all facing forward. The raptor has four, with one facing rear.

The above, combined with the fact that the warbird is slower, heavier, needs more power and has only one more primary hardpoint (360 arc, but doesn't mean much when you are a Rom) than the Raptor, makes me forget about the Warbird altogether and stick with the BCH.

-suleo  

Robb Stark is talking about the aft (fourth) hardpoint added to the warbird in the beta patch...the advantage of the warbird over the raptor is primarily the WB's greater heavier armaments and overload capabilities (normal rom disruptor cycling rates are slow enough to make them as much good candidates for overloading as plasmas, it's not like they're going to beat anyone in the damage-over-time department anytime soon); while the uber probes in the current official version of SFC make the slow warbird unable to really utilize its cloak to overcome its weaknesses in manueverability, as it has been alluded to quite often, it should not be assumed that it will remain so    ...that being said, the raptor IS a pretty nifty ship, and works quite well as a platform for overloaded heavy plasmas in its own right.  

EagleEye

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2003, 02:23:52 pm »
It is unfortunate that we cannot all come to the conclusion that the Romulan empire is at a disadvantage when compiared to other races.  

I see no way, logicly, that any person looking at the situation from an objective position could come to any other.  I feel that the romulans are not what they should be.  I understand that is is difficult to remove yourself from your current favorate race and be objective, but for the purposes of this discusion it would be greatly appreciated.

As for my take on the situation, I must concur with all who have posted in favor of giving the romulans a better edge in warp core mass-to-power ratio.  

Thanos1

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2003, 02:32:28 pm »
Oh, my bad then; I don't have the beta patch. But still, given the current state of affairs, the Raptor is superior. I of course wouldn't mind at all the forthcoming changes :}.
And on the issue of overloading: My raptor config (3HPlas, 4Diz2S, 1AMM, Warp9) can o/l the plasma while keeping everything else at nominal (green) power. And after I unload plasma, I can o/l diz and keep them that way until plasma reloads (or cloak and o/l shields). Works quite effectively, but you have to be fast on those sliders.
Which brings me to a final observation: Why-oh-why could they not have implemented a 'locking' slider or have some slider pre-sets. I mean, a 10 year-old game (xwing) had those...

-suleo  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2003, 02:44:32 pm »
Where do I get that beta patch?

Cmdr. Krotz

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2003, 03:10:44 pm »
Those power sliders really do need some work- it's bad enough the way it doesn't always want to give nominal power to all primaries, heavies, and shields, from the get-go (and annoyance common to one playing klingons), instead prefering to overload a couple k-photons and underpower the dizzies...given the way it really seems one needs to continually shift power around to get the most out of rom weapons, I would certainly applaud the addition of some power allocation presets (a definite feature-request for after the bugs are mostly purged from the game).

Sorry SoT, the beta patch was originally released as a public beta, to get some much requested fixes in people's hand right away, but that went against Activision policies (they seem to like to keep the number of total patches low, and as inclusive of fixes as possible, probably to avoid the image of distributing broken games), so it was recalled, so if you didn't get it, you probably won't. As far as future beta patches (there's enough stuff still needing work that I wouldn't be suprised if another beta will be available to test before the official release is ready), Mark Pfeiffer, the Taldren QA guy, posted that Activision gave them permission to take on quite a few testers, if you are interested, you should send an e-mail to Mark@taldren.com, with something about wanting to be a "visioneer" in the subject line (visioneer is a reference to Activision's external beta testing program, from what I recall). Hope that helps.

Cmdr. Krotz the Thoughtful Klingon-in-Exilie

Robb Stark

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2003, 03:23:22 pm »
Quote:

Oh, my bad then; I don't have the beta patch. But still, given the current state of affairs, the Raptor is superior. I of course wouldn't mind at all the forthcoming changes :}.
And on the issue of overloading: My raptor config (3HPlas, 4Diz2S, 1AMM, Warp9) can o/l the plasma while keeping everything else at nominal (green) power. And after I unload plasma, I can o/l diz and keep them that way until plasma reloads (or cloak and o/l shields). Works quite effectively, but you have to be fast on those sliders.
Which brings me to a final observation: Why-oh-why could they not have implemented a 'locking' slider or have some slider pre-sets. I mean, a 10 year-old game (xwing) had those...

-suleo  

No, my bad really... I forgot that the original version of the Warbird only has the three heavies.  When I play Romulan, I tend to stop at the Raptor.  Actually, now that I think about it, I tend to stop at the Battlecruiser level for all the races.  The Dreadnoughts are just too clunky.

Locking sliders would be a very nice addition.  I do hope they have considered implementing them.  

Tremok

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2003, 07:32:03 pm »
Wouldn't a Q-WarpCore be infinite power, theorically?

Anyway, I don't know where you people get the nimble Warbird info. Everwhere I look I find that the WB is a bruiser. It doesn't rely on nimbleness but its fly right up to your face and pounds you into quite forcefully into hell with a plasma-laden Thors Hammer.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 07:35:11 pm by Tremok »

Tulmahk

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2003, 08:06:45 pm »
Quote:

Oh did I mention that only large Romulans ships could even think about using a QSD? And isnt it the large Rommies ships that are horribly slow?  

Wrong.  We saw a Romulan science ship on TNG that used one.  That ship was about the size of a Talon.

The quantum singlularity is extremely tiny, so ship size is irrelevant.  

ActiveX

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2003, 08:30:47 pm »
the ship wasnt very small, wasnt it almost the size of Ent-D?

Tulmahk

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2003, 09:04:46 pm »
Quote:

Technically, it does produce 'infinite' power.  But remember, no machine is infinitely efficient.  It always gives back less power than you put into it.

The quantum singlularity cores are grossly inefficient in this way.  However, that doesn't mean their actual power output would be bad at all.  In fact it's very good according to the game stats:

Here's an analysis of Romulan Warp Core IX compared to the same level warp cores of the Klingons and Federation:

(M/O = Mass divided by Output yields number of mass units required to generate 1 point of power)

Rom Warp IX Output:  118
Rom Warp IX Mass:  6000
Rom Warp IX Efficiency (M/O):  50.8

Fed Warp IX Output:  103
Fed Warp IX Mass:  5500
Fed Warp IX Efficiency (M/O):  53.4

Kli Warp IX Output:  90
Kli Warp IX Mass:  4950
Kli Warp IX Efficiency (M/O):  55

Analysis:  The Romulan Quantum Singularity based core IX (which is already in the game, there is no need to add it) is the most efficient warp core of these three empires.  I did't run the numbers on Borg, but I expect thier efficiency to be even worse than the Klingons'.  The Romulan IX core is about 5% more efficient than its Federation equivalent.  It is almost 9% more efficient than the Klingon one.

Conclusion:  With additional analysis, one can easily see this trend continue up to the Warp X cores and down to the Warp I cores, to varying degrees.  It has been maintained here that Romulan cores are in fact inferior.  With this analysis, you can see that they are in fact superior, when it comes to efficiency as well as total power output (again, not comparing to the Borg).

So the Romulan Quantum Singularity Cores dominate the other two empires in total power output in addition to mass / output efficiency.  The only catagory they fail in is total mass (they are the most massive cores outside of the Collective).  Given the 2 for 3 advantages, though, I think the Star Empire has done really well for itself here.  It also helps explain why Romulan ships are so huge.

Tulmahk

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2003, 09:16:00 pm »
Quote:

No.

The Galaxy class ships are about 641 meters long, 145 meters high.

The science ship was 106 meters long, 15 meters high.

(Source:  ditl.org)  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2003, 08:32:20 am »
I guess we'll have to wait until the patch is out to see the new engine masses in romulan ships, BUT I don't think that will fix the lack of "racial flavor" anyway...

Remiak

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Technically, it does produce 'infinite' power.  But remember, no machine is infinitely efficient.  It always gives back less power than you put into it.

The quantum singlularity cores are grossly inefficient in this way.  However, that doesn't mean their actual power output would be bad at all.  In fact it's very good according to the game stats:

Here's an analysis of Romulan Warp Core IX compared to the same level warp cores of the Klingons and Federation:

(M/O = Mass divided by Output yields number of mass units required to generate 1 point of power)

Analysis:  The Romulan Quantum Singularity based core IX (which is already in the game, there is no need to add it) is the most efficient warp core of these three empires.  I did't run the numbers on Borg, but I expect thier efficiency to be even worse than the Klingons'.  The Romulan IX core is about 5% more efficient than its Federation equivalent.  It is almost 9% more efficient than the Klingon one.

Conclusion:  With additional analysis, one can easily see this trend continue up to the Warp X cores and down to the Warp I cores, to varying degrees.  It has been maintained here that Romulan cores are in fact inferior.  With this analysis, you can see that they are in fact superior, when it comes to efficiency as well as total power output (again, not comparing to the Borg).

So the Romulan Quantum Singularity Cores dominate the other two empires in total power output in addition to mass / output efficiency.  The only catagory they fail in is total mass (they are the most massive cores outside of the Collective).  Given the 2 for 3 advantages, though, I think the Star Empire has done really well for itself here.  It also helps explain why Romulan ships are so huge.

Hi,
I was a little surprised to see an analysis that concluded:
"Conclusion:  With additional analysis, one can easily see this trend continue up to the Warp X cores and down to the Warp I cores, to varying degrees.  It has been maintained here that Romulan cores are in fact inferior.  With this analysis, you can see that they are in fact superior, when it comes to efficiency as well as total power output"

Was the warp 9 an exemple upon wich a trend could be based or an exception.
I used your same approach (M/O) and then used the difference between the 2 divided by the Fed output to obtain pourcentage of comparative efficiency. I have found the following:

All other 9 warps from 1 to 8 and the 10 have an advantage for the Federation.

The advantage seems to be great:
warp 1: 8% advantage for Fed over Rom
warp 2: 6%
warp 3: 12%
warp 4: 15%
warp 5: 18%
warp 6: 16%
warp 7: 9%
warp 8: 9%
warp 9: -5% (advantage for Rom here as you stated)
warp 10: 10%

I would not conclude that the Romulan Empire has developped better warp drives in any trend than the Fedration did. I am sure Romulan players would gain and Federation players would loose if the tables were exchanged...(slower heavier Sov with no additionnal power etc...)
The difference is important in the mid sized warp (3,4,5 and 6).

Furthermore if one compares the Romulan warp core to the Klingon, same approach (here I used difference between the M/O divided by Rom output) one sees:
warp 1: 0.3% advantage Klingon
warp 2: -0.2% advantage for Romulan
warp 3: 0.1%
warp 4: 4%
warp 5: 9%
warp 6: 4%
warp 7: 1%
warp 8: -1% advantage Rom
warp 9: -8% advantage Rom
warp 10: 5%  

So the Klingon have 7 times the advantage in M/O and the Rom 3 times.

My conclusion differs from yours, based on your concept of M/O the Rom are not the best but the worst in general. The warp 9 is the notable exception.
The Klingon may be well intended for lighter more nimble ships armed with less power hungry weapons and the tables would confirm that.
The Feds are intended for both lighter and for equivalent power output as the Roms giving a better M/O ratio.
The Roms...well...I do not think their racial flavor comes out in this category (great BCH, worst power/mass ratio in low to mid level and worst at the top level;  DN level...sounds familiar).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 04:00:52 pm by Remiak »

Tulmahk

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2003, 04:31:53 pm »
Quote:

I used your same approach (M/O) and then used the difference between the 2 divided by the Fed output to obtain pourcentage of comparative efficiency.

Hi Remiak.  I just love peer review.  Let's turn this forum into a scientific journal, shall we?  

I find your methodology flawed, though.

My equation M/O = E produces the result (E) Efficiency.  What the heck are you doing to get your numbers?  Maybe you could post the equation you're using?  From your description, I just don't get it.  Is it:

(FE-RE) / FO = CE

(FE = Fed Efficiency RE = Romulan Efficiency FO = Fed Output CE = Comparative Efficiency)

Is this is the equation you're using?  Efficiency is determined by the mass a warp core needs to produce 1 point of power.  Let's use the Warp X from Rom and Fed to compare true efficiency:

Rom Warp X Output = 145
Rom Warp X Mass = 7900
Rom Warp X Efficiency (M/O)= 54.5

Fed Warp X Ouput = 145
Fed Warp X Mass = 7200
Fed Warp X Efficiency = 49.6

Wow, you're right about the Warp X cores.  The Fed one is 9% more efficient.  Maybe each race has it's own most efficient warp core?

Ok, I need to go do a complete analysis.  My choosing of the IX cores was just arbitrary.  I was under the impression that Romulan cores were the most efficient across the board.  So my conclusion about the Rom Warp X core is that it is complete junk.  Sure, it puts out the same power as the Fed X, but it is substantially bigger, and Rom ships have (I believe) less engineering space than Fed ones.

Roms, stay away from the Warp X core!

Tulmahk

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2003, 04:39:03 pm »
Remiak,

Going over your numbers agian, I see what you're doing with them now.

And yes, I'm forced to agree with you.  You are absolutely right.  The Feds do have the best Warp cores overall, followed by Klingons (for their smaller ships, anyway) and then last, as usual, the Roms.

Would you agree that Romulan players who use the Warbird should be using a Warp IX core?  That's the conclusion I've come to, and it's the stragegy that I always use, since I'm an unapologetic Warbird flyer.  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2003, 04:47:30 pm »
Quote:

The Feds do have the best Warp cores overall, followed by Klingons (for their smaller ships, anyway) and then last, as usual, the Roms.

Why is it that I'm not surprised at all... they wouldn't be Feds if it wasn't that way...

Remiak

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2003, 06:14:25 pm »
Quote:

Would you agree that Romulan players who use the Warbird should be using a Warp IX core?  That's the conclusion I've come to, and it's the stragegy that I always use, since I'm an unapologetic Warbird flyer.  

I agree with you for PvP.
When doing assault (planetary/bases) on D3 for pp farming, I increase warp as the taget will not go anywhere.

I also like to fly the WB a lot even with its flaw, I play for fun and flying that ship is fun for me.

Thanks  

Cleaven

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2003, 08:00:40 pm »
When the game first came out and people started crunching the numbers it was noted that the Warp 9 efficiency was probably the result of a typo because it didn't fit with the rest of the warp cores in a smoother way. 9,9,-5,10 and 1,-1,-8,5 for the Fed and Klingon ratios is inconsistent at the ninth position.  

Aenigma

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2003, 12:53:50 am »
So what do suggested, make the warpcore heavier and less powerful to compenstate for the other races. Now that would be a great idea The difficulty with the warbird is that you can have
a: a very slow ship with powerful weapons
or b: a very fast ship (±50) with puny weapons (that's why my latest outfit carries no heavy-plasmas, they cost just too much energy for my warpcore IX, but instead has three AM-Minelayers, which are quite nasty in 1v1, especially with this speed).

Aenigma
In The Service of The Empire  

Aenigma

Give Romulans a quantum singularity
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2003, 02:51:55 am »
The Romulan Star Empire in the series use singularity engines on their ships, along with the standard warpdrives. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a singularity in the game as well? Romulans are reknowned for their great advantages in engine technology so why not?

I don't believe it should produce more warp power than a lvl X standard core, but it should be lighter (6500 instead of 7900) and it should be a lot more expensive (40000 instead of the ±20000 for the normal X warpcore).

Just an idea.

Aenigma  

Commodore

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2003, 02:59:21 am »
Ya, give them a singularity so that the rom players will have to go back to romulan space to refuel after enery battle!  

ActiveX

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2003, 04:00:12 am »
Actually. this would solve the Warbird maneuverability problem...the QSD would have a negative mass, maybe negative 5000 or so, this would be interesting to test...hmm...and this is why Warbirds could outmaneuver most ships half its size...  

LongTooth

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2003, 04:48:24 am »
The quantum singularity is a black hole it does not need to be refuled or shut down  
In fact it cant be shut down
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 04:49:56 am by LongTooth »

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2003, 04:59:05 am »
Good idea. That is the first step towards the greatly needed racial flavor...
And the Warbird could really use some more engine mass.

Aenigma

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2003, 05:09:38 am »

Quote:

.....the QSD would have a negative mass, maybe negative 5000 or so

We do not know if Quantum singularities, or black holes, even have mass, so asuming they have negative mass is a bit straightforward. If they don't have mass, there still has to be quite a casing around it to contain it, so it should have a positive mass. It wouldn't be fair to other races if it didn't have a positive mass.

Aenigma  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2003, 05:26:32 am »
Hmm... actually black holes are extremely massive, but it would be pretty useless to have a huge QSD instead of a warp core.

BTW not only warbirds are supposed to be powered by QSDs, in fact, the romulans don't use standard warp cores at all, only QSDs in every ship. That's the reason for them having hollow parts (I hink I read that somewhere...).

Maybe It would be fair to have a very efficient warp core (AKA QSD) in exchange for it being easily damaged (compared to what warp cores will be after the patch) or having a moderate chance of it destabilizing somehow.

Aenigma

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2003, 06:15:23 am »
Black holes are indeed extremely massive, but we don't know if this mass is actually mass as we know it. Because of the extreme circumstances inside the singularity it could be energy as well. Actually mass and energy are connected.

Aenigma  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2003, 06:47:39 am »
I fear this will lead into a scientific debate if this goes on hehe...

Even though we don't know what are the conditions of matter, energy, or both inside a black hole (there are some interesting theories though), this is, below the event horizon, we actually know that black holes act as extremely massive star bodies due to the gravitational disturbances they create. If they create a gravitational disturbance, regardless of the actual conditions of the black hole itself, it is logic to think that the source(?) that is creating the disturbance will affect everything about it, in this case, a ship using it as an energy source...or not...  

Cleaven

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2003, 07:07:22 am »
Black holes do not need much mass in a stellar sense, with their formation being possible for a star only a little bigger than our own Sol.

But a quantum singularity, if one actually existed, would not have mass on this order. It would be much smaller, having sufficient mass to produce the required spatial distortion to provide warp power and yet still be containable. Could gravitons be manipulated to negate mass? Well you already have gravity webs keeping Sulu's backside in his plastic chair while he is at the helm station and anti-grav units to move around very heavy (confused and self-destructing) space probes so the precident has been set.  

ActiveX

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2003, 07:54:36 am »
Actually, the supposed 'canon' approach to expalining QSDs is simple:

Since the actual mass of the Singularity is way too much for a ship to move, the Romulans use inertial dampeners to negate the mass effects of the singularity. This effect actually make the ship seems to be less in mass than the actual masses of the parts it is composed of. This is why a Warbird on the TV series can dance around a Galaxy...

So, I think all we need to change is the masses of the Rom cores to the reciprocal values...basically just use the same number, but make it negative...

Does this work? It makes the Roms more like the Roms...  

Robb Stark

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2003, 08:14:14 am »
How does it make the "Roms more like Roms?"  All I'm seeing here, for practical purposes, is the idea that the mass of the warp cores for Romulans be reduced.  You can say it's because of their Quantum Singularities if you like, or you can say it's because of a double cheeseburger in space - the practical result is the warp core mass is reduced.

ActiveX

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2003, 08:20:06 am »

Whiplash

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2003, 09:41:03 am »
The Rom singularity was their power core. It would be there in place of a warp core. I have no idea which would be more massive. Containing exploding antimatter takes some serious hardware. Containing a (lot of?) rapidly spinning micro-black-holes would take some serious hardware also. I don't think there is a justification for saying one is lighter or better than the other.

You could state that the Rom warp core is powered by a QSD rather than M-AM annihilation. Its a name change only. So my question is, What would you change to the way a warp core operates to give the Roms individual flavor (thats also not unbalancing)?

W.

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2003, 09:45:52 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I think we'll be lucky if we get the dominion and cardassians...

NJAntman

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2003, 09:51:48 am »
I don't care about the specifics. Just the thought of popping a Rom and watching the debris fall back into the spinning singularity! Haven't seen that since SFC1! (somewhere, think it was a bonus mission?) Granted the patch to include it better contain a better damage graphic or watching the Rom go pop would be short lived at short range.  

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2003, 10:20:20 am »
Agreed. But when I blow up a Warbird it should trigger a massive phase transition which sucks up the entire sector into the point where it died.

Also, Fed ships should have their yogurt dispensers.  

Tannhauser

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2003, 10:33:25 am »
Here's a thought (two, actually):
1.  There's no need to alter the mass of the Romulan engines.  Instead, just give them more power.  Perhaps one of the Romulan advantages should be the fact that their warp drives provide more power than the other races.
2.  I believe the patch will alter the damage done by an exploding ship so that it is based on the level of the warp drive, or how much of it is still undamaged, or something like that.  Well, simply double the damage for Romulans since they use an artificial quantum singularity.  

theRomulan

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2003, 12:07:05 pm »

2.) Plasma torpedoes, despite this so called 'horrid' hit rate, actually does hit quite a bit, and does a good deal of damage.  The truth is, it's not a long range weapon meant to be fired at even light angular velocities.  Don't fire unless you know your shot is pretty much dead on, or you get a tractor to bring velocity to zero.  Don't fire while at point blank range, that hikes velocity up to 100.  Don't fire when you're still turning. Etc. etc. etc.  

Giving roms, especially their bigger ships like the warbird, more maneuverability is crazy.  We'd be giving them the most powerful heavy weapon in the game, along with a nice cloaking device, and then the ability to run circles around their opponents to boot.  That's asking for trouble.  Warbird has only three heavy hardpoints.  Yes, and there's a reason for that.  You can load it up with heavy plasma if you wanted.  That's incredible crunch power, I hope no one gets hit with that.  If they had anymore heavy weapons, we'd all be screaming for our lives.  Add on a cloaking device to escape our aim and appear behind us.  No, the romulans are just fine, thank you.  

Aenigma

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2003, 12:51:52 pm »
......................................You just spread confidential information! The Tal Shiar will have you executed for this!  

Well, i still believe that Romulans should get a qs-drive besides the warpcores, and NO i'm not proposing to give them a big bonus. Does anyone read the beginning of a post? It will give some 1400 (or less should it be more balanced) extra to spend on engine space, a lvl 5 engine and a lvl 5 thruster (total mass 1850) are the best you can fit to it with a warpcore X. With just 1400 extra mass you can get only VII both, but it will still be not too maneouvrable or fast, at least not as much as klingons. It is stated that:

Romulans have the weakest armor. Their ships are build for surprise attacks, and are rather fragile. www.strategyplanet.com/sfc/sfc3/info_rom_ships.shtml

They are build for surprise attacks, but if you have to warp to surprise someone (get behind one without being detected), you'll end up dead if they have anti-cloak on-line.

Aenigma  

Robb Stark

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2003, 01:20:31 pm »
Quote:

Warbird has four heavy hardpoints - one faces to the rear.

And I'm not saying the Roms don't merit advantages.  Improve the Romulan cloak so it's better than the Klingon cloak - sure thing.  Improve Plasma accuracy - absolutely.  Tweak the Warbird design a bit more to make her competitive - no problem.  But decreasing warp core mass across the board is not an appealing solution.  Like we need a faster, more maneuverable Raptor?  No thanks.  

Thanos1

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2003, 01:56:26 pm »

-suleo

Cmdr. Krotz

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2003, 01:56:37 pm »
Roms are going to be plenty competitive when the official patch is finally released- probes being fixed makes cloaking much more viable, and plasmas that bat 3 for 3 against tractored targets (or can even do so at ranges up to 20+, sometimes) are plentiful improvements enough, just wait and see...

There isn't really any special ST reason to believe quantum singularity drives are particularly better than standard warp drives, if anything, they are meant to represent romulan ingenuity in overcoming a problem that severely  hindered their ability to become major players in the ST universe. In SFC1&2 manuals, it alludes to the RSE being resource-poor; in old, mostly forgotten, pre-ST:NG lore, dilithium was extremely scarce in the RSE, enough so that while the romulans could certainly design effective warp drives, they were SOL when it came to production, which made getting klingon ships an advantage when the rom/klingon alliance was formed. The QSD (didn't they have SFC1 mssions involving roms experiementing w/ QSDs, I almost think I vaguely remember such a thing, could just be my imagination though), rather than representing an inherently superior system, is instead an alternative technology designed by the romulans to get around dilithium supply problems...it's already assumed in the game that roms have QSDs powering their warp drives, in-lieu of the matter/antimatter power systems of other races (as demonstrated when roms sabotage their QSDs in one of the last missions of the SFC3 fed campaign).

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2003, 02:04:38 pm »
Quote:

I don't think many people will allow you to cloak without at least trying to fire while you do, so you'd better be out of their heavy arcs when you do. Besides, nobody will sit back and wait for you to charge your plasma H, get behind them, and whoop their asses that easily. That's why plasma misses so much. Nobody flies in a straight line with a cloaked romulan around.

Quote:

To overload disruptors you will have to either have a large warp core OR sacrifice significant power to shields and/or plasma. A larger warp core means less maneuverability. Back to the beginning it seems...

Quote:

Warbird has only three heavy hardpoints. Yes, and there's a reason for that. You can load it up with heavy plasma if you wanted. That's incredible crunch power, I hope no one gets hit with that. If they had anymore heavy weapons, we'd all be screaming for our lives.

Three heavy plasma torps require HUGE power, if you want to have decent shields and disruptors.
I didn't say that more heavy hardpoints should be forward firing. But one aiming backwards could be used for say, a tachyon pulse (greatly underrated weapon) or an AMM layer.

I doesn't make much sense to me that a CL has more heavy hardpoints than a DN...but that's another thread.

Oh and plasma is the slowest charging weapon of all the game, which ensures that if you cloak to charge it, when you decloak your opponent's weapons will be ready for a nasty surprise. AND you will not have any shields.

As I stated before, rommies could really use some more maneuverability...  

Cmdr. Krotz

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2003, 02:11:59 pm »
Quote:

-suleo  

Robb Stark is talking about the aft (fourth) hardpoint added to the warbird in the beta patch...the advantage of the warbird over the raptor is primarily the WB's greater heavier armaments and overload capabilities (normal rom disruptor cycling rates are slow enough to make them as much good candidates for overloading as plasmas, it's not like they're going to beat anyone in the damage-over-time department anytime soon); while the uber probes in the current official version of SFC make the slow warbird unable to really utilize its cloak to overcome its weaknesses in manueverability, as it has been alluded to quite often, it should not be assumed that it will remain so    ...that being said, the raptor IS a pretty nifty ship, and works quite well as a platform for overloaded heavy plasmas in its own right.  

EagleEye

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2003, 02:23:52 pm »
It is unfortunate that we cannot all come to the conclusion that the Romulan empire is at a disadvantage when compiared to other races.  

I see no way, logicly, that any person looking at the situation from an objective position could come to any other.  I feel that the romulans are not what they should be.  I understand that is is difficult to remove yourself from your current favorate race and be objective, but for the purposes of this discusion it would be greatly appreciated.

As for my take on the situation, I must concur with all who have posted in favor of giving the romulans a better edge in warp core mass-to-power ratio.  

Thanos1

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2003, 02:32:28 pm »

-suleo  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2003, 02:44:32 pm »
Where do I get that beta patch?

Cmdr. Krotz

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2003, 03:10:44 pm »
Those power sliders really do need some work- it's bad enough the way it doesn't always want to give nominal power to all primaries, heavies, and shields, from the get-go (and annoyance common to one playing klingons), instead prefering to overload a couple k-photons and underpower the dizzies...given the way it really seems one needs to continually shift power around to get the most out of rom weapons, I would certainly applaud the addition of some power allocation presets (a definite feature-request for after the bugs are mostly purged from the game).

Sorry SoT, the beta patch was originally released as a public beta, to get some much requested fixes in people's hand right away, but that went against Activision policies (they seem to like to keep the number of total patches low, and as inclusive of fixes as possible, probably to avoid the image of distributing broken games), so it was recalled, so if you didn't get it, you probably won't. As far as future beta patches (there's enough stuff still needing work that I wouldn't be suprised if another beta will be available to test before the official release is ready), Mark Pfeiffer, the Taldren QA guy, posted that Activision gave them permission to take on quite a few testers, if you are interested, you should send an e-mail to Mark@taldren.com, with something about wanting to be a "visioneer" in the subject line (visioneer is a reference to Activision's external beta testing program, from what I recall). Hope that helps.

Cmdr. Krotz the Thoughtful Klingon-in-Exilie

Robb Stark

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2003, 03:23:22 pm »
Quote:

-suleo  

No, my bad really... I forgot that the original version of the Warbird only has the three heavies.  When I play Romulan, I tend to stop at the Raptor.  Actually, now that I think about it, I tend to stop at the Battlecruiser level for all the races.  The Dreadnoughts are just too clunky.

Locking sliders would be a very nice addition.  I do hope they have considered implementing them.  

Tremok

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2003, 07:32:03 pm »

Anyway, I don't know where you people get the nimble Warbird info. Everwhere I look I find that the WB is a bruiser. It doesn't rely on nimbleness but its fly right up to your face and pounds you into quite forcefully into hell with a plasma-laden Thors Hammer.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 07:35:11 pm by Tremok »

Tulmahk

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2003, 08:06:45 pm »
Quote:

Wrong.  We saw a Romulan science ship on TNG that used one.  That ship was about the size of a Talon.

The quantum singlularity is extremely tiny, so ship size is irrelevant.  

ActiveX

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2003, 08:30:47 pm »

Tulmahk

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2003, 09:04:46 pm »
Quote:

Tulmahk

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2003, 09:16:00 pm »
Quote:

No.

The Galaxy class ships are about 641 meters long, 145 meters high.

The science ship was 106 meters long, 15 meters high.

(Source:  ditl.org)  

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2003, 08:32:20 am »
I guess we'll have to wait until the patch is out to see the new engine masses in romulan ships, BUT I don't think that will fix the lack of "racial flavor" anyway...

Remiak

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Hi,
I was a little surprised to see an analysis that concluded:
"Conclusion:  With additional analysis, one can easily see this trend continue up to the Warp X cores and down to the Warp I cores, to varying degrees.  It has been maintained here that Romulan cores are in fact inferior.  With this analysis, you can see that they are in fact superior, when it comes to efficiency as well as total power output"

Was the warp 9 an exemple upon wich a trend could be based or an exception.
I used your same approach (M/O) and then used the difference between the 2 divided by the Fed output to obtain pourcentage of comparative efficiency. I have found the following:

All other 9 warps from 1 to 8 and the 10 have an advantage for the Federation.

The advantage seems to be great:
warp 1: 8% advantage for Fed over Rom
warp 2: 6%
warp 3: 12%
warp 4: 15%
warp 5: 18%
warp 6: 16%
warp 7: 9%
warp 8: 9%
warp 9: -5% (advantage for Rom here as you stated)
warp 10: 10%

I would not conclude that the Romulan Empire has developped better warp drives in any trend than the Fedration did. I am sure Romulan players would gain and Federation players would loose if the tables were exchanged...(slower heavier Sov with no additionnal power etc...)
The difference is important in the mid sized warp (3,4,5 and 6).

Furthermore if one compares the Romulan warp core to the Klingon, same approach (here I used difference between the M/O divided by Rom output) one sees:
warp 1: 0.3% advantage Klingon
warp 2: -0.2% advantage for Romulan
warp 3: 0.1%
warp 4: 4%
warp 5: 9%
warp 6: 4%
warp 7: 1%
warp 8: -1% advantage Rom
warp 9: -8% advantage Rom
warp 10: 5%  

So the Klingon have 7 times the advantage in M/O and the Rom 3 times.

My conclusion differs from yours, based on your concept of M/O the Rom are not the best but the worst in general. The warp 9 is the notable exception.
The Klingon may be well intended for lighter more nimble ships armed with less power hungry weapons and the tables would confirm that.
The Feds are intended for both lighter and for equivalent power output as the Roms giving a better M/O ratio.
The Roms...well...I do not think their racial flavor comes out in this category (great BCH, worst power/mass ratio in low to mid level and worst at the top level;  DN level...sounds familiar).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 04:00:52 pm by Remiak »

Tulmahk

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2003, 04:31:53 pm »
Quote:

I used your same approach (M/O) and then used the difference between the 2 divided by the Fed output to obtain pourcentage of comparative efficiency.

Hi Remiak.  I just love peer review.  Let's turn this forum into a scientific journal, shall we?  

I find your methodology flawed, though.

My equation M/O = E produces the result (E) Efficiency.  What the heck are you doing to get your numbers?  Maybe you could post the equation you're using?  From your description, I just don't get it.  Is it:

(FE-RE) / FO = CE

(FE = Fed Efficiency RE = Romulan Efficiency FO = Fed Output CE = Comparative Efficiency)

Is this is the equation you're using?  Efficiency is determined by the mass a warp core needs to produce 1 point of power.  Let's use the Warp X from Rom and Fed to compare true efficiency:

Rom Warp X Output = 145
Rom Warp X Mass = 7900
Rom Warp X Efficiency (M/O)= 54.5

Fed Warp X Ouput = 145
Fed Warp X Mass = 7200
Fed Warp X Efficiency = 49.6

Wow, you're right about the Warp X cores.  The Fed one is 9% more efficient.  Maybe each race has it's own most efficient warp core?

Ok, I need to go do a complete analysis.  My choosing of the IX cores was just arbitrary.  I was under the impression that Romulan cores were the most efficient across the board.  So my conclusion about the Rom Warp X core is that it is complete junk.  Sure, it puts out the same power as the Fed X, but it is substantially bigger, and Rom ships have (I believe) less engineering space than Fed ones.

Roms, stay away from the Warp X core!

Tulmahk

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2003, 04:39:03 pm »
Remiak,

Going over your numbers agian, I see what you're doing with them now.

And yes, I'm forced to agree with you.  You are absolutely right.  The Feds do have the best Warp cores overall, followed by Klingons (for their smaller ships, anyway) and then last, as usual, the Roms.

Son of Technobabble

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2003, 04:47:30 pm »
Quote:

The Feds do have the best Warp cores overall, followed by Klingons (for their smaller ships, anyway) and then last, as usual, the Roms.

Why is it that I'm not surprised at all... they wouldn't be Feds if it wasn't that way...

Remiak

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2003, 06:14:25 pm »
Quote:

I agree with you for PvP.
When doing assault (planetary/bases) on D3 for pp farming, I increase warp as the taget will not go anywhere.

I also like to fly the WB a lot even with its flaw, I play for fun and flying that ship is fun for me.

Thanks  

Cleaven

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2003, 08:00:40 pm »
When the game first came out and people started crunching the numbers it was noted that the Warp 9 efficiency was probably the result of a typo because it didn't fit with the rest of the warp cores in a smoother way. 9,9,-5,10 and 1,-1,-8,5 for the Fed and Klingon ratios is inconsistent at the ninth position.  

Aenigma

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2003, 12:53:50 am »
So what do suggested, make the warpcore heavier and less powerful to compenstate for the other races. Now that would be a great idea The difficulty with the warbird is that you can have
a: a very slow ship with powerful weapons
or b: a very fast ship (±50) with puny weapons (that's why my latest outfit carries no heavy-plasmas, they cost just too much energy for my warpcore IX, but instead has three AM-Minelayers, which are quite nasty in 1v1, especially with this speed).

Aenigma
In The Service of The Empire