Topic: Romulan Condor - wip  (Read 7132 times)

Thu11s

Romulan Condor - wip
« on: March 27, 2003, 07:19:09 am »
Mesh is pretty much there, now just have to paint it

and a comparison with the FireHawk

More updates soon

Thu11s  

Rogue

Re: Romulan Condor - wip
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 08:57:48 am »
An  evil  Romulan Condor?

Sorry, I meant to make this comment with Andurils Condor WIP. I thought it to be funny. (easily amused) Never mind, I'm out to make myself laugh, if no one else.

Anyway, I really appreciate your work on the Romulans. Certainly look great for a TMP fleet. And I am dearly fond of your firehawk and sparrowhawk. They were really crying out to be done. Yours set a high level of excellence.

How do feel about the warp extensions at the end of the Condor's wings? To my eye they don't quite fit. Perhaps eliminate them and rotate the engines 90 degrees? Or drop them down like jet engines near the end of the wings. Just a thought.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Rogue »

sandman69247

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 09:04:11 am »
Looks good...when can I blow it up!? Keep 'em coming.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 10:17:49 am »
Thu11s Would you mind if I take some ships from your site to use in my TNZ mod? I'm adding the Gorn to the mod and I need a good base model. Also, I really love your Romulans. I remember when you finally released the Firehawk, and I raved and raved about it. This model looks to be another winner. One thing I might change though is the sweep angle of the wings. Great textures like you use will probably make it look less straight than this WIP, but nearly every Rom ship has sharply swept wings, and this one would fit more with other Roms if it did too. I can't wait to see it complete.  

Marauth

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 12:08:46 pm »
SUUWEEEET! I cannae wait fer this one... I agree with KoraH though - maybe just give the wings a tiny bit more of a forward sweep, right now it looks too SFB Klingon - like the KF5 I think it is (never played SFB)

Thu11s - what ever happened to that kick-ass Skyhawk you posted pics of when you first showed us the Killerhawk and Sparrowhawk? It looked almost finished - had most of the textures already on it.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 06:45:45 pm »
Reminds me of a Quetzalcoatulus; a giant pterosaur from the late Cretaceous (Texas area).

Outstanding! The Romulans definitely need more ships!

Qa Pla!

KF  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

RipperMan

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 08:58:37 pm »
nice to see a new ship from you my friend ;-) lets see some textures! :-D  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 12:37:12 am »
I like this because it looks a little "out of date", older generation than the
Killerhawk/Firehawk. (Which IMO it should.) Maybe, reaching back a little closer to the TOS era with Klingo/Romulan
lines being very obvious. That's what it speaks to me, anyway  

Marauth

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 11:25:20 am »
Quote:

I like this because it looks a little "out of date", older generation than the
Killerhawk/Firehawk. (Which IMO it should.) Maybe, reaching back a little closer to the TOS era with Klingo/Romulan
lines being very obvious. That's what it speaks to me, anyway    

Well yeah, but that's what the old series ships are - the Condor was pretty much the last ship the Romulans came up with when everyone else started making DNs and BBs, the only ships that came after it were the King Condor (BB) and the 2 X-ships which I don't know the name of... The ship has the same Klink style engines of the other new series ships (as opposed to the fed style cigar nacelles from the old series ships) the 2 separate hulls with an interconnecting boom - like the Klink ships as opposed to the single hull designs of the old series. Also it's kind of absurd that the Rommies would have built a Dreadnought before any actually useful cruiser and frigate designs because although the old series ships could serve admirably as overpowered firgates and the Klink trade ships could act as reserve ships (they were the very bottom rung of the Klink navy - mostly mothballed ships) the Rommies REALLY badly needed a new fleet of cruisers and destroyers - not overpowered Dreadnought behemoths.

Desty_Nova

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 02:36:07 pm »
TVL, the Condor is a Romulan new series ship. The King Eagle(or was it Vulture? I suddenly can't remember) was their old 'dreadnought', part of the Eagle series. The Condor is not out of date but in fact a new and  extremely capable and dangerous ship. Also, only the ships purchased from the Klingons had klingon-style warp engines, new series ships like the Sparrowhawk, Killerhawk, and Skyhawk do in fact have cigar warps as well. Sorry, I'm being nitpicky.

Marauth

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 03:11:06 pm »
Actually I said that it was a new series ship, it was Mr. O'neal who said that it looked 'out of date' and I was basing my observations on the klingon design influences becasue if you look at Thu11s Firehawk, Killerhawk and Sparrowhawk you'll see that his versions do indeed have engines similar in appearance to those on the K'T'inga and they do have the 2 hulls with a connecting 'neck' section - like the K'T'inga - so his ships seem to draw together Klingon design with the best of Romulan aeshetics. Which makes much more sense than the SFB Rommies which seem to show almost no design progress on the old series ships and the SFB Condor is just basically an inflated War Eagle with a sphere stuck on the front - quite hideous IMO - though Anduril's new version looks pretty nice. The King Eagle was the equivalent to a Dreadnought for the Roms before they got ahold of a Klink C8 for conversion, it was just a War Eagle with far too many weapons and quite poorly matched to the Fed class or the C8

Thu11s

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 06:22:51 pm »
Hi all, quick update, swept the wings forwards more

Quote:

Thu11s Would you mind if I take some ships from your site to use in my TNZ mod? I'm adding the Gorn to the mod and I need a good base model

Yup, go for your life. As i say to everyone else, give credit where its due. All my downloads have 'credit.txt' files, see these for the origin of each model

Quote:

Well yeah, but that's what the old series ships are - the Condor was pretty much the last ship the Romulans came up with when everyone else started making DNs and BBs, the only ships that came after it were the King Condor (BB) and the 2 X-ships which I don't know the name of... The ship has the same Klink style engines of the other new series ships (as opposed to the fed style cigar nacelles from the old series ships) the 2 separate hulls with an interconnecting boom - like the Klink ships as opposed to the single hull designs of the old series. Also it's kind of absurd that the Rommies would have built a Dreadnought before any actually useful cruiser and frigate designs because although the old series ships could serve admirably as overpowered firgates and the Klink trade ships could act as reserve ships (they were the very bottom rung of the Klink navy - mostly mothballed ships) the Rommies REALLY badly needed a new fleet of cruisers and destroyers - not overpowered Dreadnought behemoths.

Ok, As I stated when i made the first FireHawk model (and pretty much most of my models), I've tried to create TMP era ships (being a TMP freak) that follow the lines of the old SFB style ships (ie, top down view of the old SSD's and being an old time Sfb'r) and the SFB history. Hence the Romulans that follow a design lineage that is uniquely Romulan, but has clear roots in Klingon design, using Klingon based technology (see the klink style warp nacelles and so on). Since the Romulans never developed there own Warp technology but 'exchanged' with the Klinks, in my eyes, it makes sense that there nacelle design would stay close to the original style as would the overall layout of ship, again folowing on from the original Kestrel series ships (Klingon ships for non SFB'rs). Bascially they took the best points of the old Eagle series  (War Eagles etc) and the mid Kestrel series (KDR's etc) and developed the Hawk series (SparrowHawk and FireHawk etc). They attempted to strike a balance between the old ships general hard as nails design and the Klingon's light, manouverability style. The end result was a powerful design series that was equivalent to the 'War' versions of other races. In essence, the SkyHawk could be considered a War Destroyer and the SparrowHawk a War Cruiser and so on (the KillerHawk was only ever built to replace a destroyed DN for example!) Add to this, I've also tried to incorporate a style that could concievably lead to the Next Gen style of Warbird etc, again showing a logical progress in design. So in all, you get a TMP style ship that has roots in TOS Klingons that leads to TNG Romulans! Kinda brain ache stuff when designing it, but I think im getting there!

Anyway, be out soon, along with the SkyHawk

Rant over

Thu11s  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 06:54:01 pm »
Hi Thu11s
   Its looking very good looking forward to seeing the final product keep up the great work  

Marauth

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2003, 06:58:16 am »
Quote:

Hence the Romulans that follow a design lineage that is uniquely Romulan, but has clear roots in Klingon design, using Klingon based technology (see the klink style warp nacelles and so on). Since the Romulans never developed there own Warp technology but 'exchanged' with the Klinks, in my eyes, it makes sense that there nacelle design would stay close to the original style as would the overall layout of ship, again folowing on from the original Kestrel series ships (Klingon ships for non SFB'rs).

Oh dear! What a can of worms that is - I know in SFB they said that the Romulans never developed their own warp drive but that is just plain BS - same as the FASA assumption that the Klingons would have TNG ships with Excelsior nacelles and phasers. It is impossible that the Romulans could have maintained any kind of empire behind the neutral zone inbetween the Romulan-Earth war and TOS, also I don't care what anyone says they could never have reached Earth during the war (which was quoted in that TOS ep. Balance of Terror I believe it was) or even cross the neutral zone with 1 War Eagle to fight the Enterprise. It was a scripting error that GR himself disowned anyway - the Romulans had warp drive at least by the 2250s to fight their war with Earth - on www.ex-astris-scientia.org there is a very nice article about this which raises the possibility that Scotty's line 'their power is simple impulse' actually meant they used a fusion powered engine core - which is what the Fed's use for their impulse engines, however it is possible the Rommies used it to power their warp drive.

Rant over LOL

Oh and the new sweep of the wings looks alot better, much more agressive.

Marauth

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2003, 02:26:33 pm »
Bump - couldn't let this one fall to page 2!

Any news Thu11s?

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2003, 02:54:34 pm »
I like that a lot - a very slick and convincing klink/romulan
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lord Schtupp »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2003, 01:42:56 am »
I agree with Schtupp. You have always made very convincing connection between Klingon and Romulan designs. This looks like another really sweet ship that you can be proud of.  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2003, 04:02:59 pm »
Any updates? I was wondering if you have any textures applied yet that we might see?

Steelviper33

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 07:44:33 pm »
Can i get a Hoo-Ah!

And I throw a bump out there too

starforce2

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2003, 07:11:48 am »
Sounds like a good ship, sucks none of the pix are working...

Marauth

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2003, 03:26:17 pm »
I see em fine.

Thu11s - any info, please? Even telling us they wont be out till christmas would be better than not telling us anything... Erm, no wait scrap that, just release em when ready...

BTW Thu11s - what part of London are you in/from, I from the northeast, well right on the edge of Essex actually, kind of a bad image really - you know that show 'Essex Wives'? Just a few blocks away from us they filmed that!

Thu11s

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2003, 02:38:55 am »
Sorry for no update peeps

Been busy at work doing extra days covering peoples holidays  But my days off have been spent out on my bike whilst the weathers been good, so it's not all bad . Next week is my short week (only in Wed & Thurs) so hopefully have this and the SkyHawk done for the end of the week (fingers crossed!)

Quote:

BTW Thu11s - what part of London are you in/from, I from the northeast, well right on the edge of Essex actually, kind of a bad image really - you know that show 'Essex Wives'? Just a few blocks away from us they filmed that!  

I'm in over in West London just down the road from Heathrow, a poky little town called West Drayton

Thu11s
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Thu11s »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2003, 05:38:20 am »
Thank you for the update Thulls

Qa Pla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2003, 01:55:54 pm »
BUMP for news and back to page 1.

My Romulan and Prime Industres ships are in for a boost.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2003, 04:14:56 pm »
BUMP for release news, LOL.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2003, 05:44:47 pm »
I can not be the only person interested in Thulls' latest works!

BUMP for news!

Thulls, ADB should approach you to do a TMP miniatures line...

Qapla!

KF

Marauth

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2003, 06:02:04 pm »
Classic though it would be to have miniatures of Thu11s' ships (I'm still trying to figure out how to go about scratchbuilding a Firehawk) ADB would have to manufacture them in the reviled 1/3000-and-somethingth scale (I forget exactly what scale those miniatures are in) - besides ADB models always suck. Obviously we need a garage company to make 1/1400th scale resin models of Thu11s' work.

Anyway BUMP - Thu11s where are you man? You've not got trapped by that evil alien lifeform they call real life again have you?

Thu11s

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2003, 07:41:25 am »
Quote:

Thu11s where are you man? You've not got trapped by that evil alien lifeform they call real life again have you?  

Shhhh, Im at work..... Yup, real life has its evil, ugly & corrupted hand on me again :/   Currently a 6 day week for me this week, 12 hours a day   Did lates last night and on earlies this morning so have had about 4 hours kip

Quote:

Classic though it would be to have miniatures of Thu11s' ships (I'm still trying to figure out how to go about scratchbuilding a Firehawk) ADB would have to manufacture them in the reviled 1/3000-and-somethingth scale (I forget exactly what scale those miniatures are in) - besides ADB models always suck. Obviously we need a garage company to make 1/1400th scale resin models of Thu11s' work.

Easy way to do this (although expensive, maybe hard to get someone/somewhere to do it, relatively time consuming, so maybe not easy!) is convert the 3ds files to a format AutoCAD can handle and get them made using Stereolithography (pretty sure thats what its called, been a while since Uni). It's a manufacturing process where you have a vat of liquid plastic (not sure which one) and a platform that goes down into the liquid. It starts at the top and lasers (UV I think) are fired onto the surface of the liquid setting it in the shape you want. As the platform moves down, it slowly builds up a 3d shape by setting layer upon layer. You can make pretty much limitless shapes with it, even hollow shapes with no holes or weld lines. Saves time and money in not needing tooling, you just send info from the PC and off it goes. Little effort but expensive. It's mainly used for prototyping if memory serves

Anyhooo, slightly OT, the SkyHawk is now done and just the head and boom section of the Condor need doing. I'm off work Sunday thru till Tuesday so hopefully get them up then

Sorry for the lack of updates all round, but by the time i get home it's either real late or the last thing i wanna do is stare at ANOTHER  monitor, as at work I'm in a room by myself with 16 monitors!!!  can you say "Radiation", lol

Thu11s  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2003, 12:55:57 pm »
I can't wait!

Rod O'neal

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2003, 07:13:05 pm »
It'll be great to get these. They'll make great additions to my game

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2003, 08:30:12 pm »
I can't wait for this ship to be ready!!!

-bump-LOL

Bubba91873

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2003, 08:32:34 pm »
I've liked his work.  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2003, 08:18:50 am »
Bump in anticipation of something good.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2003, 07:13:41 pm »
BUMP for release news!

Page two indeed!!!!

Hey Thulls, check this out at Sci-Fi meshes: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/data/501/546the_ambush-med.jpg

KF  

Qob'nuH

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2003, 08:16:29 pm »
More ships of your firehawk's quality..............HELL YES!!!!!!!!  You should  look at the ship in Sovereign Empire's post
Looks like it would go well with your expanding Rom fleet.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2003, 11:34:53 am »
Hey Thu11s lets get some updated screenshots!

Thu11s

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2003, 04:10:19 pm »
Quote:

Hey Thu11s lets get some updated screenshots!  

K, this is the current situ, was kinda unhappy/not feeling perfectionist enough about some of the texturing, so have re-worked some of the hull textures. This is it so far. feel alot happier wtih it now. Before, the hull plating didn't stand out enough and the mapping didn't line up too brilliant, so it got redone!

and a close up of the big bird itself (again reworked)

Also tidied up some of the mesh aswell as redone some texturing on the SkyHawk. Add to this, I've tidied up some of the shield sizing on the ISC CL and CLS which will all go public in a couple of days. I'm planning for a Feral Yards update at the weekend, where both this and the SkyHawk will be available, maybe some others depending how busy I am  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2003, 12:24:09 am »
Wow!!! That looks incredible. You can almost see feathers on the ventral bird. It looks like it's going to be well worth the wait.    

Rhaz

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2003, 08:49:40 am »
OMG the bird on the belly is awesome!  (well worth the wait)

Cheers,

RipperMan

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2003, 03:50:24 pm »
wooo! awesome texturing my friend.

I too have not been able to do much art wise :-(

I am glad to see that you and some others are tho in this busy time of year.

some quick messages

Thu11s - let me know if you want me to publish this ship on the FW front page
KF - when you gonna send me those ship pics!
CKORAH - send me an e-mail when u get a free moment.

Awesome work all ;-)  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2003, 05:45:37 pm »
I'm in aww that is just fantastic work I'm so looking forward to seeing the finished product
Kee up the fantastic work.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2003, 05:32:15 pm »
Thulls, you just have a way with Rom ships man. When this is done, I'll worship it just like I do the Firehawk now.  

Qob'nuH

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2003, 10:31:14 pm »
Bump back to where it belongs.......................  

Scorpion

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2003, 10:40:53 pm »
 WOW, that is good!  Keep up the good work!  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Scorpion »

Qob'nuH

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2003, 06:55:52 am »

Also tidied up some of the mesh aswell as redone some texturing on the SkyHawk. Add to this, I've tidied up some of the shield sizing on the ISC CL and CLS which will all go public in a couple of days. I'm planning for a Feral Yards update at the weekend, where both this and the SkyHawk will be available, maybe some others depending how busy I am    

Waiting patiently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ok that was lie, How's the update coming? Any chance you may expand on  your Orion section? I very much like the concept...dark hull, looks like its made for fast ,forward assault.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2003, 08:44:02 am »
Thulls, while your at it can you also repost the ORIGINAL ISC early CA?

More Romulan targets on the way.... yeah!

KF

Qob'nuH

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2003, 05:39:07 pm »
Trying to keep this one" page 1".  

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2003, 05:26:33 am »
Quote:

Trying to keep this one" page 1".  

My sentiments too! Elements help me but I am beginning to like Rommie ships more and more! I always had a fondness for those bird designs on the bottom of their ships..not only are they pretty but they make convenient aiming points!LMAO

Okay, just joshing...but gods, those are some pretty ships..If only I couild get these new skins   for the Firehawk to work i would be VERY happy!

I am gonna soooo like this new Rommie!

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2003, 09:26:25 pm »
Scene: Alternate universe Captain Kirk as a Romulan aboard a disabled Condor

The TOS episode "The Doomsday Machine" music can be heard in the background...

Kirk: "Thulls, now would be a good time to post those Romulans"

VISUAL: Doomsday Machine bearing down/Impulse engine Fusion explosion countdown

Kirk: "Thulls, no would be a REALLY good time to post those Romulans"

Seriously...

BUMP to page 1.

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2003, 05:24:03 pm »
BUMP

Marauth

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2003, 11:04:54 am »
This is part of the Thu11s experience, the constantly sliding deadlines, you just have to chill and wait for him to post the ships, 'they'll be ready when they're ready' as they say.

Oh for God's sake I'm too impatient, Thu11s release the ships man! I cannae take n' more!

Qob'nuH

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2003, 02:24:19 pm »

4/29/03

5/9/03

Uhhh, just curious...what weekend were you talking about? Damn that intrusion called "real life". How's that big bad bird coming along?          

Qob'nuH

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2003, 05:24:12 pm »
Page 1 please........................  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2003, 09:47:25 pm »
Anybody else notice that a good chunk of the folks who have bumped this thread are Klingon?

I'm just doing my part to keep the Romulan-Klingon [SFB/TOS-TMP Era] alliance alive!

BUMP!

KF

Marauth

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2003, 11:37:22 am »
Purely Fed bump here.

Thu11s, it's a nice sunny day out today, why don't you cloister yourself away and release those Rommies instead of enjoying the sunshine like a 'real world' person LOLOL is there any news Thu11s?

WhiteKnight

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2003, 01:22:13 pm »
Wow.Your ships and this one coming up are fast replacing my stock models.Thanks for the hard work and I'm looking forward to your new releases.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2003, 09:21:12 pm »
BUMP to page 1.

Lets keep the Romulan Model theme going.

Thulls, I did find a copy of the original early ISC cruiser you made.

Thanks again.

KF

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2003, 08:24:26 pm »
whenwhenwhen???????

Marauth

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2003, 12:34:29 pm »
BUMP back to page 1. Thu11s, if you don't give us some info soon I may have to send a nice polite email!

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2003, 10:53:35 pm »
Quote:

Anybody else notice that a good chunk of the folks who have bumped this thread are Klingon?

Trust me (did I say that?). There are Romulans watching and waiting.
Were always watching... especially when you don't see us.