Topic: *ANNOUNCMENT*  (Read 13846 times)

David Ferrell

Re: *ANNOUNCMENT*
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2003, 10:20:52 pm »
Quote:

<snip>
Im sorry if it hurts you that i dont think your model was the best.  

Funny thing there LB but that's exactly the way the judges felt about your models.  

Perhaps you should think about that.

Thanks,

Dave  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2003, 10:20:55 pm »
Well, im sorry, but by voicing my opinion, one of the results of that is going to be insulting to someone, no matter what. but as a modeller, I can see whats what, and the winners of the last 2 rounds were not the best, and there are many people here that agree with me, but dont want to lose face in front of others. thats their right, and it IS my right to disagree with the results, and im sorry, but it will offend the winners. there is no way for me to say my opinion without someone getting upset in this case, thats life, i deal with it everyday at my job. you cant sugar coat the truth.  

David Ferrell

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2003, 10:24:55 pm »
Quote:

Well, im sorry, but by voicing my opinion, one of the results of that is going to be insulting to someone, no matter what. but as a modeller, I can see whats what, and the winners of the last 2 rounds were not the best, and there are many people here that agree with me, but dont want to lose face in front of others. thats their right, and it IS my right to disagree with the results, and im sorry, but it will offend the winners. there is no way for me to say my opinion without someone getting upset in this case, thats life, i deal with it everyday at my job. you cant sugar coat the truth.    

And our professional modelers who judged the constest are chop liver?

You are nothing but a spoiled child who is upset because you didn't win.  Well it wasn't even close.  Rick Knox came
close, Cleeve came close, you weren't even in the running.

See you later loser,

Dave  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2003, 10:27:18 pm »
you know, Ive always noticed how the big people, like game companies in this case, like to turn what someone says against them, because they cant think of something to say or do to resolve the situation. maybe its not that  they cant , but since they are high and mighty, they just dont want to, it would be beneath them to do so.

TheSkinMan

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2003, 10:27:52 pm »
Quote:

Obviously Skin Man, you havent read all of my posts. i Dont think about just myself. I think your ship that won the third round was completely unworthy compared to cleeves ship. i would have much rather lost to his model. its nothing personal, just my opinion. So you have a degree and I dont, does that mean, in your eyes, I cant have an opinion on this? I have just as much right as you do to state what i think on a PUBLIC forum. As I said, i dont care only about myself, but I DO think that the models that won round 3 and 4 were not the best. Im sorry if it hurts you that i dont think your model was the best.  

LB i think you are probly just a little kid who some day i hope will grow up and lose the ego, im not one to have a chat war on a forum with someone who  thinks thair all that. Maybe if you did nto expect to win you will not be let down when you dont. and yes cleave is one fo the best and i have alot fo respect for him, he should have ben picked . But do you see him hear doing what you are doing about it?

you gave your opinion and i respect that, I will be the grownup hear and not give my opinion for fear it will scar your modeling for life. Pluss opinions are like butts and right now yours just stinks....
But i would be happy to post some links for you to some photoshop and modeling tutorials i think would help you.. ALOT!

What it all comes down to, is you did not win,and im sorry i wish you did , so we did not have to read all this.

SkinMan  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2003, 10:34:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

You are nothing but a spoiled child who is upset because you didn't win.  Well it wasn't even close.  Rick Knox came

See you later loser,

Dave  

Thats the response I expected. you take what i say and twist it completly around to make me look worse. and excuse me, but if you are going to start calling me names now, I think that may end up being more trouble than you can ever imagine or would ever want. be careful how you address me.i never called you names, i never said that your modelers are chop liver, but since you brought it up, ive spoken with game companies that use your models as examples of WHAT NOT TO DO.

You can justify it any way you wish. im just sorry you dont see where I am comming from here. as i said before, i wasnt talking about just my stuff.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 10:36:12 pm by -L B- »

James Formo

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2003, 10:34:52 pm »
I know this maybe doesn't fit with the reat of this thread but here goes.  Many contests have different levels based on experience. This model contest lumped modelers who completed there very 1st (or close to it) model with some who are semi professional. I think it was unfair to lump everyone with various experience  abd judge there models side by side.

Then the prize is books on how to model and modeling software. It is pretty obvious that the winners don't need the books and already have the software.  That is my 2 cents. I know it wasn't asked for but I consider it my right as an American to express it.  

Moonraker

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2003, 10:49:34 pm »
you know im so happy that im not that active around here anymore. just listen to all of this crap...
look what a simple contest turns into now.
there were some nice models, and some not so nice ones from what ive seen.
some of the winning ships are not that fantastic and to be totally honest at the risk of being flamed for voicing my opinion like LB, had i entered such a  contest i would have expected better from taldren and the judges.

im not taking any sides here, but its just my thoughts on things...

David Ferrell

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2003, 10:52:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

See you later loser,

Dave  

Thats the response I expected. you take what i say and twist it completly around to make me look worse. and excuse me, but if you are going to start calling me names now, I think that may end up being more trouble than you can ever imagine or would ever want. be careful how you address me.i never called you names, i never said that your modelers are chop liver, but since you brought it up, ive spoken with game companies that use your models as examples of WHAT NOT TO DO.

You can justify it any way you wish. im just sorry you dont see where I am comming from here. as i said before, i wasnt talking about just my stuff.  

You have called me a liar (by saying that the judges did know who they were voting on), you have now insulted our artists, (good guys that have a lot more talent than you).

You cried a few weeks ago when you didn't win and I was nice then.  Now you come and start insulting people.  All but one entry in the contest didn't win, but your attituide makes you alone a loser.

Dave  

Brad Bowermaster

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2003, 10:52:42 pm »
Normally I wouldn't interfere, but this has gone too far. LB, just stop, please. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but your reasons are guided by your anger,  especially the whole friends thing. Most of us do not talk to Taldren employees out side of this forum, simply because they are busy. Do you see special, exclusive content on SFU? No, they treat us as equal as any other fan site. I've even been 'told off' by Bradley Schenck. Yes, I was a little miffed when he did that, but did I get upset and yell at him? No, because Bradley Schenck along with the rest of Taldren are hard working people, they have their bad days just like the rest of us.

Just think about it. Is this argument worth it? This thread is only making you look bad and damaging your reputation. You want to become a professional modeler, think how this post is making you look to prospective employers. Its just a contest, there will be others. So take some time off, take a breather, and clear your head. In the end, you should be modeling for yourself, not the approval of others.      

3dot14

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2003, 10:59:35 pm »
Com'n LB, be reasonable.

Say what you want, the Best model in your view may not be the best in others. You should at least acknowledge that all of the winners are good models and have a chance to win, by saying "so and so don't deserve" is not helping your case. Remember Free Speech is not completely free. (you can't hurt people with your speech.)

It's a judgement call. and the judgement didn't go in your favor. Are you disappointed? well you have a right to be.
But don't start pointing finger at the winners as if they did something wrong.

You don't agree with the choices. Fine, voice it. (i didn't agree with one myself, one I wasn't entered into.) but it's the judges opinions that counts. It's not the others fault that the judges like theirs.

True you are not speaking for just yourself. But still the fact remains: the judges didn't agree with your assessment. And they are within their rights to. Imagine if you are in the judges seat, and I come accusing of foul play while you honestly "didn't like" mine, What would you think? After all "doesn't like" happens ALL THE TIME in arts be it visual, theatre, or writing. It's all about whether the audiences' subjective whims. You can't score art (Figure Skating anyone?) the way one scores multiple choices...

You didn't win, doesn't mean you lost. (I know it's spliting hairs...) But it doesn't have to be a blow to your prestige, it's just an improvement of someone elses... Don't make this any more awkward than it already is.

Please LB, reconsider.

James Formo

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2003, 11:20:49 pm »
Looks like the plug got pulled    

Bob Graham

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2003, 11:42:27 pm »
Quote:

<SNIP> you have now insulted our artists, (good guys that have a lot more talent than you). </SNIP>

Dave  

At great risk of being banned, Ill belive that when I see it...

Brad Bowermaster

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2003, 11:53:51 pm »
Mr. Graham, you are greatly misinformed. You are basing your judgment on Taldren's artists upon works that have to meet guidelines as opposed to LB's work which only meets the guidelines he sets himself.  Assuming you are complaining about the stock models, Taldren's artists must create models and textures, to be able to run on anyone's computers, which forces a polygon restriction and texture size limit.  While Taldren models must be under ~1,500 polys and can only have textures of 256x256, LB's and any modeler's model for that matter, can be any poly count they choose (usually within the 3,000-4,000 range) and include textures up to 512x512. Community Modelers don't have to worry about the 'lowest common denominator,' because they can simply say, "if it doesn't work on your machine, I can't do anything about it," while Taldren has to ensure that every model works in game to meet the minimum specs on the box.  Maybe you should reconsider your views on Taldren's artists.  

Lord Bile

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2003, 12:12:22 am »
As I said in my other thread to Dave, I was wrong, and Brad is correct, they do have many restrictions. and it also makes the deadlines harder to meet when you have restrictions, because it can take longer to stay within the limitations by trying to reduce polyes and such.

They are the Professionals. We are the Modders, we make it the way we want it as long as our own machines can handle it, thats our only limitation.

resistance is futile

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2003, 12:43:06 am »
I just like to say that the ships listed as done by Viper1 were actually Deemons ships, there was a mixup.

Paladin

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2003, 12:59:18 am »
For what its worth to the guy that won, I really loved your winning entry and thought that it should have won. There was definitely alot of great models and i can see how it was hard to decide. I think that some of them that didnt win here, could have definitely won earlier rounds if they were sentt in earlier, but they didnt. Congrats. Are they for d/l anywhere?

jrstandfast

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2003, 01:45:41 am »
I make my living both by Judging and being Judged.  I train and also Judge Horseshows.

The best observation I have ever heard came from an old Texas Judge who quite frankly dumped on me pretty hard in a class.

I asked him why.  He said.

"Son, all things being equal I just didn't like your horse.  But... that's only my opinion and it only lasts a day."

Ducttapewonder

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2003, 03:29:50 am »
I had a conversation with one of the greatest modelers around here last week. We discussed how this contest would serve no purpose other than to feed some and trash others egos, and how he refuses to submit his work to it.. I for one liked this place a lot better when we were'nt arguing about about crap like.........

"MY MODEL IS BETTER THAN YOURS....SO THERE  .

This once was a place where we could all come to share our work and learn new skills. But anmymore, this is what is happening.......

WIP THREAD...3 REPLIES...................BICKERING THREAD....40 REPLIES.

It almost makes me feel like posting about my work is not worth my time and less important than moaning and groaning. With all due respect to the Taldren staff, I think you should reconsider running this contest any longer. We are at risk of losing "MORE" great modelers from this community because of it.

Just my $.02

TheBigCheese

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2003, 07:31:22 am »
LB,

I entered my model in the second round (the romulan frigate) ,it was the first model I have ever made.I thought it was the best and should have won also seeing as I made it ESPECIALLY for the competition unlike other entries but I lost and took it on the chin.Dont have tantrum's man get over it and do better stuff ,you know you can!

Prove the critic's wrong