Topic: *ANNOUNCMENT*  (Read 14035 times)

**DONOTDELETE**

*ANNOUNCMENT*
« on: January 27, 2003, 07:38:04 pm »
I will no longer be making models for SFC. Taldren has no idea how to judge models.  

MrCue

Re: *ANNOUNCMENT*
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 07:39:14 pm »
forget taldren, do it for the good of the people, we all (i hope) love your models.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by cueball2000uk »

MrCue

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 07:41:29 pm »

Do you think LB should give up making Models?
Yes
No

3dot14

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 07:57:17 pm »
now now...

don't be mad. After all art judging is a very inprecise thing. Don't take a contest too personally, it's not about one winning or losing, it's about a display of models.

Don't give up, as long as someone appreciates your work, it's not in vain.

lleggs

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 08:00:38 pm »
there are plenty of players who enjoy modder's work I, for one, appreciate everybody who's still devoting time and energy to SFC2

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 08:01:38 pm »
Well, Lets look at the some of the models that won, there is no way skinman's ship should have won with some of the other ships that were entered, and this last round, I think Rick knox and myself had some of the best ones. Im not saying that I SHOULD have won, but the one that did, should not have.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 08:03:02 pm by -L B- »

atheorhaven

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 08:01:52 pm »
Quote:

now now...

don't be mad. After all art judging is a very inprecise thing. Don't take a contest too personally, it's not about one winning or losing, it's about a display of models.

I'd be mad if I were him too.. he entered in some of his classic stuff in these rounds, plus new stuff that's been asked for (like that new Rommie variant based off the new one from Enterprise.. and did it in more than one round.  Not a nod, or even that much of an acknowledgement.

I'm more than annoyed as well, because my two entries never were even mentioned as being entered!  This despite being sent in the day *after* round 3 ended so that I could be sure to have it in in time for round 4.  I wouldn't have minded not winning, but I wanted to at least *see* my models as being entered...

David Ferrell

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2003, 08:30:54 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

now now...

I'd be mad if I were him too.. he entered in some of his classic stuff in these rounds, plus new stuff that's been asked for (like that new Rommie variant based off the new one from Enterprise.. and did it in more than one round.  Not a nod, or even that much of an acknowledgement.

I'm more than annoyed as well, because my two entries never were even mentioned as being entered!  This despite being sent in the day *after* round 3 ended so that I could be sure to have it in in time for round 4.  I wouldn't have minded not winning, but I wanted to at least *see* my models as being entered...  

I never received an entry from you, unless it was the one in the mail below:

------

Could you please re-submit in Winzip format?

Thanks,

Dave
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 1:11 PM
To: admin@taldren.com
Subject: Model Contest

http://www.nightsoftware.com/ds3/downloads/aa.rar

My USS Avatar - A for SFC3

Thanks
-----
The entry above was never resubmitted(to the best of my knowledge but hey the user didn't identify himself so maybe he did, if so it was judged).

Thanks,

Dave  

James Formo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2003, 09:07:07 pm »
Hey L B your models are awesome. From my limited efforts I know how much effort goes into em. Especially the quality ones . If you don't model for SFC it would be a great loss to the community. I'd hate to see you leave. I understand though. You gotta follow your heart man.  Good luck in your future endeavers.

I

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2003, 09:17:39 pm »
My heart just tells me that Taldren only picks the models by people they like. Not the ones that deserve to win. They seem to judge the models on a "friend" basis. Like Skinman, he knows some of those guys, so naturally, he won a round. DamoclesX (who is a friend of mine) is well liked by Taldren, so naturally he wins a round. Trekke runs Starfleet Universe, his ship was very good also, but naturally, he also is in the "friend" catagory" because SFU has been around since sfc1 came out.Then you have people like Myself, who Taldren DOES NOT like, Rick Knox, who Taldren DOES NOT like for different reasons.

I just happen to think that the contest was judged extremely UNFAIR. The only 2 models that won a round that deserved winning were by DamocleX (They picked the one he thought was his worste) and Trekke.

So if my specualtion is incorrect, by all means tell me, I could be blowing this all out of proportion. But I believe I have wasted my time on this contest, especially since I made 2 of the ships I entered specifically for this contest.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 09:19:57 pm by -L B- »

Lord Vader

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2003, 09:20:06 pm »
Dave, That Avatar A is my Model, you should have downloaded it and looked at the readme file....hehe and sorry LB I wish you would have won, you entered soem kick ass models! I lvoe youre new promethus!! best one yet!  

starforce2

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2003, 09:26:36 pm »
Where can I see pix of all the entries? I'm curious.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2003, 09:32:35 pm »
in the announcment forum, that Unfortunatly, Ive been watching since friday. I'm shocked Dave Ferrel hasnt said anything to me about this. just shows how much Taldren doesnt care about the veteran modelers here. i have been making ships for this game for near 5 years. Its pretty disappointing. Nice going Taldren. Youve succefully aliented another modeler with your lack of appreciation and total disregard for the people that keep your games going.  

3dot14

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2003, 09:32:52 pm »
Quote:

My heart just tells me that Taldren only picks the models by people they like. Not the ones that deserve to win. They seem to judge the models on a "friend" basis.

Due respect, you might be reading too much into this.

The last winner Viper is from Armada modding. surely you can't say he was Taldren's friend?
I am the "excutive" assitant to Trekke at SFU, does that mean i should've won a round too?

Those statements don't mean anything, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, THIS DOES.

The Judges Don't know who did what while viewing the entries.

Quote:

Winners are chosen by a panel of Taldren artists. They do not know who is connected to each model and judge it based upon their own personal criteria.
-Davie Ferrell, http://208.57.228.3/ubb/Forum1/HTML/020985.html

I do feel for you, but it's just the last round has TOO MANY entries. and many of them are of the same style. (Sovereign derivations) It can have gone either way.

And also  Congratulations to Viper. I actuall DO FEEL his model deserves the win. (so does LB's Hectate. but only one can win.)  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2003, 09:40:07 pm »
to be honest, I think that was only said, but not enforced. otherwise I think Rick Knox would have won this round.

TheSkinMan

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2003, 09:59:02 pm »
Quote:

Well, Lets look at the some of the models that won, there is no way skinman's ship should have won with some of the other ships that were entered, and this last round, I think Rick knox and myself had some of the best ones. Im not saying that I SHOULD have won, but the one that did, should not have.  

You are a pore pore loser, for one i dont have alot of friend in Taldren hell i only talk to lordvader and xometiles dark drone and 2 you are no one to talk to say your models or any ones models are better then a nother person... this Contest was made for fun and you have terned it into a pore LB party So you did nto win, i did nto even expect to win.

If you think your models are better then mine fine your happy to thinkw aht ever you want, but to have the balles to come out and say it liek this is just wrong.
I make money off my wok and i have a BACHELOR'S DEGREE and have ben doing this work for year what do you have? what game have you worked on who have you worked for?

Like i said i dont think your one to be talking right now, i think you just need to fade back into the dark before you make your self look like even more of a pore looser then you all ready have. The END

if any one has a hard time reading this im sorry im dislexic and when i get mad it gets bad........

SkinMan  

atheorhaven

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2003, 10:01:00 pm »
Quote:

I never received an entry from you, unless it was the one in the mail below:
The entry above was never resubmitted(to the best of my knowledge but hey the user didn't identify himself so maybe he did, if so it was judged).

Thanks,
Dave  

I sent in two entries, one of which I'd entered because I never did hear one way or the other as to whether or not we could enter non-Trek ships in the contest.  If it wasn't accepted because it was non-Trek, then that'd be okay as I'd entered a definitely acceptable model for the contest as well.

I entered my TARDIS and a Borg Cube, sent using the following information:
Quote:

To enter, zip up your model and mail it to admin@taldren.com. Be sure to put the words 'Model Contest' in the subject line.

And it was sent the day after round 3 wrapped up, so that I could be sure that it'd be in in time for round 4.  (I wanted to glow/damage texture the TARDIS before it went out, so I just missed round 3).

Reptor7

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2003, 10:01:14 pm »
As an artist, I have entered work (paintings) in many shows. The winner sometimes causes me to arch an eyebrow LOL! But it's the act of creating that I most enjoy. If I happen to win one, that's great. If not, I'm happy to have even participated, as that's what's important anyway.

A lot of shows have the "People's Choice" award, in which the people themselves pick the work they like best. Perhaps a "People's Choice" model poll  that's sanctioned by Taldren is in order. The results may be surprising.

There were many, many good models to choose from. I've judged art myself, and it's not an easy task. Good job to all you modelers and thanks for sharing you work. Congrats to the winners!  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2003, 10:08:50 pm »
Obviously Skin Man, you havent read all of my posts. i Dont think about just myself. I think your ship that won the third round was completely unworthy compared to cleeves ship. i would have much rather lost to his model. its nothing personal, just my opinion. So you have a degree and I dont, does that mean, in your eyes, I cant have an opinion on this? I have just as much right as you do to state what i think on a PUBLIC forum. As I said, i dont care only about myself, but I DO think that the models that won round 3 and 4 were not the best. Im sorry if it hurts you that i dont think your model was the best.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 10:15:57 pm by -L B- »

David Ferrell

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2003, 10:14:07 pm »
Quote:

to be honest, I think that was only said, but not enforced. otherwise I think Rick Knox would have won this round.  

Very untrue.

To insist that you or Rick should have won, is complete arogance.  You are saying that you know better than everyone else, in particular the judges who didn't have just a jpg to judge but were allowed to go back and forth rotating the models *in game*.  In addition you have also insulted the winners (and those who didn't win but came close) because you think their work is less worthy than yours or Rick's.

This contest WAS NOT a let's appreciate those who have been around the longest or made the most posts.
This was a model contest.  If you don't agree with the results, that is your right, but you shouldn't insult others
while voicing your opinion.

Thanks,

Dave