Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186213 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2006, 06:43:36 pm »
Sometime soon I hope to start to make actual use of my new Laptop at which point my RAC will drop somewhat depending on how much I am carrying it around. 

As to the Athlon X2 that has to wait for a contract resolution (Earliest late feb to resolve then a few weeks to accumulate parts).  The 4200 according to some sources can output 750/day.  Between us maybe we can force Raven to go even faster.  :)   The longer the contract takes to resolve the more likely I am to take the next step up due to CPU price drops.  I still haven't decided if I will build it though, depends on other things.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2006, 06:44:42 pm »
The IT dept did not return the 448  today. :( So now I have to hope they will get it done by next week and they don't firewall me.

glad I have a BIG cache. It could be Sunday before I get connected again. I haven't been able to get anything up or down since they came back up.

Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2006, 02:27:18 pm »
I just noticed that 2 days ago was my 4th anniversary on the Taldren SETI team.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2006, 09:52:10 am »
The "Push for 1,000,000" is beginning....

You might notices a "slight" increase in my production.

GE-Raven

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2006, 06:17:18 pm »
The "Push for 1,000,000" is beginning....

You might notices a "slight" increase in my production.

GE-Raven

About time ... slacker;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2006, 05:36:59 pm »
SETI does not appear to be accepting uploads at present but I did pass AJTK overnight and am now in 5th place.  4th will take some time.

3) RazalYllib     72,279.38     217.24     United States
4) Kenneth Yeast    61,724.84    221.53    United States
5) IKV Nemesis    31,477.99    921.03    Canada
6) AJTK    31,424.28    221.44    United States

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2006, 06:14:06 pm »
Project is back up. :)

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »
The end of seti@home classic meant one thing to me, I would lose rank in the group when the heavy guns moved in to boinc and got to work. I may be able to stall the end with the impending purchase of a new box.

Yes this year I get to spend my hard earned cash from slaving away in the saltmine as a refund from fed taxman. This translates into about 2.5k--3k to spend on a spanking brand new machine.

My wifes machine (1.5ghz Athlon Thunderbird) will become a tiny slow webserver, she gets mine (Athlon XP running just over 2ghz).

I have not even looked around for what to look for in a new box. My requirements are sli capable (get vid card #2 a little later) and mem....I have digital audio mixing needs (cool edit pro is my tool of choice) that requires considerations for this machine. A start to that solution would be SB Audigy Pro as the audio card, though have not looked for other cards that might be able to handle multiple analog inputs which is what I really want but is probably outside my budget= A Single Midtower case with couple 200+ gig HD and enough ram to buffer to allow it to simultaneous capture and record (@48k sample) a minimum of  24 tracks of mono audio.

Any ideas you have to point me in the right place or suggestions as what look for outside the dream "studio in a box" for about 2.5k-3kish would be appreciated.

What ever I wind picking up will be running boinc and up my RAC, it will of course be faster than what I have now.

That will keep me far ahead of that founder of the blue plague AJTK!!!
It was starting to bother me, a green blooded romulan, would be passed by one of those of the vile Federation, especially a known war criminal and threat to galactic stability and prosperity as those of the blue plague. 

Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2006, 06:44:41 pm »
If your looking for a chip that will have power for anything you plan to use it on for a couple of years or more you can't go wrong with any of the dual core chips offered by either Intel or AMD.  As a bonus they are all reputed to do very well on BOINC. 

Personally I would target a chip with 1 mb of L2 per core rather than the lower 512kb per core versions.

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2006, 09:16:14 am »
Stage Two is now complete.

Should be another "slight" uppage in WUs.

GE-Raven

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2006, 07:47:22 am »
KV Nemesis will overtake:

Days
Kenneth Yeast         34.4
RazalYllib                47.6
The Postman         233.7

IKV Nemesis will not be overtaken by anyone!

Offline moofighters

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2006, 03:53:44 pm »
Say it ain't sooooooo!!!!

MOOOOO!!!!!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2006, 04:08:55 pm »
Say it ain't sooooooo!!!!

MOOOOO!!!!!

So are  you coming back to do your trample your way to the top routine again? 

Hope so.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 05:58:59 pm by IKV Nemesis »

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2006, 04:13:48 pm »
well now that i got stuff qued up this is working better :).  now i just need my router from home so i can get my lappy working to...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2006, 12:27:16 am »
well now i got my lappy working now whoot... its amazing what a little patience can do... that and remembering you can set up an ad-hoc network....
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2006, 04:57:49 am »
well now i got my lappy working now whoot... its amazing what a little patience can do... that and remembering you can set up an ad-hoc network....

Good going.  That should quickly shoot you up to #4 on RAC.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2006, 07:36:26 pm »
how does it normally take seti to start telling you workunits a newly added computer is doing?  been almost 16 hours and the site ain't telling me shyt...
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2006, 07:54:36 pm »
how does it normally take seti to start telling you workunits a newly added computer is doing?  been almost 16 hours and the site ain't telling me shyt...

The server was having "issues" for a few hours today so I wouldn't worry much until tomorrow some time.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2006, 08:09:35 pm »

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander