Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186191 times)

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2006, 05:10:48 pm »
IKV Nemesis, I think you need to step up the pace a bit. Tus is coming up hard behind you.  ;D
I hope to start loading W2K tonight into the new HT machine. Who knows, I might could get #1 RAC during Raven's slow times.

Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2006, 06:27:13 pm »
IKV Nemesis, I think you need to step up the pace a bit. Tus is coming up hard behind you.  ;D
I hope to start loading W2K tonight into the new HT machine. Who knows, I might could get #1 RAC during Raven's slow times.

If he can get ahead of me then good for him. 

All 4 of my computers are at maximum output, until the contract is settled at work I won't be looking to upgrade so a steady 1035 +/- 20 per day is where I will be hovering for the forseeable future.   

Amazing how people have sped up isn't it?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2006, 07:42:31 pm »
When my laptop arrives (1.83ghz dual core centrino 1gb 667mhz DDR2 ram) arrives, i plan to throw BOINC on, at least for a while.

The LT is for media viewing, and if it interferes, the client will be off when im using it.
(wont arrive till early march)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2006, 10:42:47 pm »
When my laptop arrives (1.83ghz dual core centrino 1gb 667mhz DDR2 ram) arrives, i plan to throw BOINC on, at least for a while.

The LT is for media viewing, and if it interferes, the client will be off when im using it.
(wont arrive till early march)

I would expect that to output in the general neighbourhood of 400 if used 24/7.  Nice machine.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2006, 11:41:00 pm »
By my caclulations I should hit 1 Million sometime Sunday.

GE-Raven

Let me be the first to congratulate you on achieving that goal

1) Raven     1,000,051.80

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2006, 09:23:36 am »
Thanks... all... woot 1,000,000 Total Credit.

GE-Raven

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2006, 09:55:20 pm »
Thanks... all... woot 1,000,000 Total Credit.

GE-Raven

The applause was deafening wasn't it?  :)

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2006, 06:23:29 pm »
I have had two units that had triplets. looking for more. ;D

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2006, 10:35:28 pm »

Project statistics
  Name of Project: SETI@Home
  Total credit granted: 5,151,048,747 cobblestones
  Total Recent Avg Credit: 22,027,117 cobblestones
  Total users: 395,834 users
  Total teams: 36,427 teams
  Total hosts: 815,813 host(s)
  Total Countries: 239 different countries

Statistics for Taldren 
  Total credit granted: 1,580,350 cobblestones
  Total Recent Avg Credit: 11,447 cobblestones
  Total Members: 163 users
  Active Members: 16 users ( 22 in XML)
  # Member Countries: 5
  Total hosts: 140 host(s)
  Team Rank TC: 226 of 36,427
  Team Rank RAC: 122 of 36,427

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2006, 09:15:03 pm »
This really bites, I have blown through a 5 day cache in 36 hours. Only the farm HT and my 1.5 still have work. The 1.5 still has 116 WU's but they will be gone by Sat AM :(

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2006, 09:38:44 pm »
This really bites, I have blown through a 5 day cache in 36 hours. Only the farm HT and my 1.5 still have work. The 1.5 still has 116 WU's but they will be gone by Sat AM :(

What bites worse is that 3 of my machines will be done by morning only 1 can last till saturday.  THEN when SETI starts sending out work again being on dialup it will take forever to reload my cache.  :(

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2006, 06:16:26 pm »

What bites worse is that 3 of my machines will be done by morning only 1 can last till saturday.  THEN when SETI starts sending out work again being on dialup it will take forever to reload my cache.  :(

Seeing how long we will be down, I am not sure I will be able to get work in the 1st 24 hours after they come back up. If I read the tech news correctly, it will be tomorrow night at the soonest before they are back up. For me, I will leave the dial up on line overnight Sat/Sun and hope I will wake up full.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2006, 06:47:45 pm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2006, 06:09:23 pm »
I'm back up to full production. I didn't get the 4th system back up until today, after some adjusting it is performing somewhat better so far.  Hopefully everyone else is fully back up too. 

Anyone know whats going on with boincstats?

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2006, 07:08:31 pm »

Anyone know whats going on with boincstats?

From the forums, Willy's explanation

I'm have serious performance issues with the server. The increasing number of visitors, users/teams/host is bringing the server to its knees.

I’ve been putting in faster and more hardware of the past year, and still it’s not enough. Now running Athlon X2 4400+, 3GB RAM, OS on 10000rpb SCSI HD, database on 2x 15000rpm SCSI HD’s in striping), SATA HD for backups and XML files, running a 64bit Debian, MySQL 5.0 and PERL/PHP.

During the updates the server load gets so high that it stalls or reboots. Last it rebooted again, and didn’t boot up again. I went to the datacenter today to fix it, but the current Debian network install had problems with my hard disk combinations. I couldn’t get it to boor properly, without loosing the (very important) backup on the SATA disk.

At last I have decided to take it home, and try it here (which I’m now doing).

I hope to get BOINCstats back up somewhere this week.

Then @ ~10:00 UTC today:
Is it looks now, BOINCstats will be back late today or early tomorrow morning.

If you edit your hosts file, and add your BOINCstats URL to it with the IP 82.161.19.50 you can test it.

(I will do some more tests today, so it may not always be up!)

and then later

I don't think the current server is upgradeble. Not at the moment at least. Its hardware is pretty up to date.

The main problem is when visitors request pages that perform a large SQL qeury when the server is also updating (for example all combined hosts for a single user). This causes MySQL to stall queries.

I figured the best way to solve this problem is by adding a webserver in front of the current server, which will then act as a DB server. On the webserver there will be a copy of the latest updated stats.

But maybe two servers for a single stats site is overkill.

Nonetheless I calculated what it might cost me. I found a co-locater who is offering me to add the second server for only €15 a month if it's a 1U, and the connection to the DB server is a dedicated (server to server, cross-link LAN) connection)

But that's not the problem. If I have to buy that server it's gonna cost me about €700~800, depending on how much rebate I get on the components from my company.

So, I'm gonna sleep on that a bit, and in the meantime I'll try to keep things going with the current server.

OR...... I can reduce the detail of the stats, that may solve the problems. What to do, what to do???

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #255 on: March 07, 2006, 05:58:20 am »
FYI, it looks like part of the project went down overnight. They were almost caught up too. :(

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2006, 05:25:28 am »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2006, 09:53:09 pm »
The pending option now works on your BOINC account information.  If your interested.

$%^&*  Naturally just as I am doing some performance testing on my laptop 16 WUs in the last 48 hours stay pending (from the laptop).  My other machines have only 0-4 pending at any given time.  From today alone 9 are pending for that machine grrr .

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2006, 10:59:21 pm »
Well Nem...I show about a year for overtake due to recent efforts in expanding the Romulan Empire...I have a couple more outlying systems that soon will join the glorious republic..and soon my older box will awaken as a webserver ( if I ever get the time to ) and it will purr away too..

When that happens, I should have enough impetus to keep my #3 team rank unless you are able to up your production.

Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #259 on: March 10, 2006, 03:05:26 am »
When that happens, I should have enough impetus to keep my #3 team rank unless you are able to up your production.

Things are a little deceptive at present.  So we will have to wait and see what the true situation is once our RACS (mine especially) stabilize after that last outage.

My RAC is down because of running out of WUs on 2 of my systems for 2 days during the last outage and 3 days for a third (the laptop).  Also 2 of my systems have been adjusted to substantially increase their output and the other 2 will be adjusted to match over the weekend.  Once those performance enhancements have had time to be reflected in my RAC we shall have to see what the status is between you and I and Postman.  The adjustments to the first system have been enough that even with the outage its RAC is already back to its normal range (adjusted last Sunday).  The laptop in spite of having 17 (now) WUs pending over the last 2 days has ceased to have its RAC drop and is holding steady (it was adjusted late Wednesday night).  Once the number of pending WUs on the laptop go back to normal levels its RAC will surge forward very significantly. 

So if you want to hold your positions you and Postman need to maintain or increase your speed and keep looking over your shoulders as I will surely hold or increase my speed just as I did in the old SETI.