Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186164 times)

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2006, 05:30:03 am »
I am not worried, I haven't even started the HT machine yet. I am still waiting for an RMA on a bad stick of RAM. Right out of the box I had a bad WD drive and a bad stick of DDR 400. I couldn't even install the OS. So When it is all said and done I hope to have an RAC around 2K.
At the moment I have over 2000 sitting in pending which shoould equal 3000 by the time I actually see it. Most of my work has an extreme undervalue in claimed credit.

Link: ht

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2006, 07:14:11 am »
Time will tell the tale
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2006, 06:52:33 pm »
I am not worried, I haven't even started the HT machine yet. I am still waiting for an RMA on a bad stick of RAM. Right out of the box I had a bad WD drive and a bad stick of DDR 400. I couldn't even install the OS. So When it is all said and done I hope to have an RAC around 2K.
At the moment I have over 2000 sitting in pending which shoould equal 3000 by the time I actually see it. Most of my work has an extreme undervalue in claimed credit.

Of course the big question is how much can you sustain?  My output is very reliable as I control it all.  No one else can turn it off or uninstall it.

Hopefully your replacement RAM and HD will work well.  I'd like to see what a well tuned dual core machine can do. 

My chance to upgrade to a dual core is going to have to wait a bit.  In fact since it will be delayed I'm waiting till the X2 core with DDR2 800 is due out in June/July then I will decide.  They should be real hotrods (at least until the quad cores make them look old).

I just adjusted my dual Athlon XP 2400, it will be a while before I see the effects clearly.  The dual 2100 will have to wait until Saturday sometime.  My laptop is now doing a WU in 1 hr 26 min.  My gaming machine is doing one in 2 hrs.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2006, 08:52:13 pm »
My 1.5 P4 is cranking them out every 90 minutes and the 1.7's are turning them out every 65-70 minutes. The two 1.7's have not reached their top RAC yet either as they are still climbing.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2006, 08:00:25 am »

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2006, 08:14:43 am »
We'll do a different one today.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2006, 09:46:16 am »
My 1.5 P4 is cranking them out every 90 minutes and the 1.7's are turning them out every 65-70 minutes. The two 1.7's have not reached their top RAC yet either as they are still climbing.

Thanks for that info.  As a result of it I just did a test on my gaming machine and output a WU in 1:06, I'm processing another just to confirm that it was not an anomoly.  If this type of improvement is consistant and can be put onto all my machines 2000 is not out of reach.  I would need to empty my 4 day cache before implementing it but that is just a delay and my one machine is just about done that now so I can apply the test directly to it later today.   Thanks again.

EDIT:  The 2nd unit also in 1:06 so once the cache is drained a big performance boost.  2000+ here I come.  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 10:47:00 am by IKV Nemesis »
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread - A little trip back in time but not too far :)
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2006, 10:13:57 am »
December 27th 2005
1) Raven                763,819.98   741.96   United States
2) The Postman      142,115.23   366.19   United States
3) RazalYllib             66,403.39   241.80   United States
4) Kenneth Yeast      56,252.94   239.24   United States
5) AJTK                   24,953.00   256.79   United States
6) f9TH SIR X          20,854.79    12.40   New Zealand
7) KD4                    11,050.56    11.84   United States
8 ) SlackerJoe            9,350.29    11.06   United States
9) Putanginamo         8,687.99    65.43   Philippines
10) Noah Wallace III   6,879.08    41.78   United States
11) thirdleg               6,588.51   100.45   United States
12) IKV Nemesis        3,357.29   245.99   Canada
13) digi                     1,987.54     1.18   United Kingdom
14) Hollis J. Wood      1,572.92    48.97   Canada
15) Bill Castner           1,437.57    21.92   United States
16) Tus                     1,337.41     70.35   United States
17) ATimson                445.62    17.97   United States
18) Xeir                       391.15    27.87   United States
19) Rob                       243.11    13.66   United States
20) Daniel                      82.61     3.85   United States

Today March 11th 2006.  The change in RACs for those marked in Red is very noticable.

1) Raven     1,164,494.37     8,239.32     United States
2) The Postman    210,359.05    1,389.56    United States
3) RazalYllib    98,547.41    974.61    United States
4) IKV Nemesis    77,989.64    996.17    Canada
5) Kenneth Yeast    69,023.65    154.16    United States
6) AJTK    45,436.94    411.27    United States
7) f9TH SIR X    21,135.12    3.95    New Zealand
8 ) Tus    19,945.55    363.57    United States
9) KD4    11,050.56    11.84    United States
10) SlackerJoe    9,796.29    14.15    United States
11) Putanginamo    8,687.99    65.43    Philippines
12) thirdleg    7,547.55    10.82    United States
13) Noah Wallace III    6,879.08    41.78    United States
14) Xeir    5,128.60    71.76    United States
15) moofighters    5,004.01    111.10    United States
16) digi    1,987.54    1.18    United Kingdom
17) Hollis J. Wood    1,572.92    48.97    Canada
18) Cayne    1,548.42    85.98    United States
19) Bill Castner    1,437.57    21.92    United States
20) Daniel    588.78    9.17    United States
21) ATimson     445.62     17.97     United States
22) Rob    243.11    13.66    United States

Now a quote from Postman on the same day :)

With the machines I have right now, I will top out around 430. Once I get a raid card, case, cpu and a boot drive( I have a pair of 200 gigs for the raid), I will have another for the farm.  I expect that I can get my RAC up over 600 without trying too hard.

Slightly out performing expectations.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2006, 03:54:49 pm »
You know, we really should let every one in on this, if we are going to do it. HOWEVER, do you know for each APP upgrade for seti by seti, we need to do them manually. We also need to reduce the caches, and switch back to the stock application and remove the Appinfo.xml BEFORE we can switch to enhanced. The switch is about 2 months away which is why the 2 machines i don't see are not using cruncher or trux.+

As for my performance jump, that is easy to explain. I figured out how to run BOINC on the 4 machines I was using on classic at the end. The Problem was despite the fact I had admin. privalages and permission, Every Boinc client I installed would have a "Master File Fetch" failure. IE I coukd run classic but not BOINC. Then I tried going backward and installing version 4.19 which did not right to the registry and it works. One of these days, I will copy the directory from a late version and just copy it over the BOINC folder and I think it should work.

EDIT:  The 2nd unit also in 1:06 so once the cache is drained a big performance boost.  2000+ here I come. 

Now you are going to make me upgarde that 1.5 to something faster. With a mild OC i bet i could get it's RAC over 500. Boy I love those Shuttle boards.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2006, 06:20:42 am »
You know, we really should let every one in on this, if we are going to do it. HOWEVER, do you know for each APP upgrade for seti by seti, we need to do them manually. We also need to reduce the caches, and switch back to the stock application and remove the Appinfo.xml BEFORE we can switch to enhanced. The switch is about 2 months away which is why the 2 machines i don't see are not using cruncher or trux.+

I was planning on doing so once I had learned enough to maximize performance.  Right now I am just learning what to do and how to do it.  As an example my one machine the upgrade "didn't take.  A difference in the behaviour of the BOINC manager on different platforms, once that machine empties its cache again I try again.  Also of course finding the best upgrade.  The gaming machine going from 2:32 to 2:00 to 1:06 shows how I am still learning.

Since your experience goes back to at least December I will let you do the explaining.

Now you are going to make me upgarde that 1.5 to something faster. With a mild OC i bet i could get it's RAC over 500. Boy I love those Shuttle boards.

:)  My goal is always to drive the team ahead so my goal is being accomplished.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2006, 10:31:24 am »
http://www.guntec.de/Crunch3r/setix86.html

These are the best crunchers by far. your RAC will go up by 2.5X with intel processors. To see which cruncher is best for your processor get CPUZ from   http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php  Then get your cache size up to 7-10 days so that you can withstand outages AND so that credit is already granted before you report back becuse the claimed credit from your machine will be next to none. As for me, once the rest of you really get going, I will be left in the dust because you will have RAC's over 3000 and I won't be able to come close to that.

As for your other benchmark question, a 2.6 HT, 800fsb, 865 chipset with stock cruncher is running around230-250 RAC I am hoping for550-700 when I get mine running.

my 1.5 P4 went from 6 hours stock to 2.5 with Tetsuji Maverick Rai's cruncher and then with help from Trux and Crunch3r it went down to ~90 minutes /WU

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2006, 10:53:55 am »
Then get your cache size up to 7-10 days so that you can withstand outages AND so that credit is already granted before you report back becuse the claimed credit from your machine will be next to none.

I see something you may have missed that might be of help.  Along with the actual processing software you can get optimized BOINC Manager software that redoes the benchmark to account for how much work your processor is doing with the additional features.  With the redone benchmarks using SSE1/2/3 or MMX your claimed credit increases.  The same site has the manager software.  If you upgrade a processor you should also redo the benchmarks as otherwise you would be claiming low again (unless the manager software can detect that?).

Right now the laptop is claiming low numbers because the client software is faster than the manager software can account for and it is dragging down the numbers somewhat.  I still need to update it.  My gaming machine however is matched properly and claiming properly for actual calculations done.  Match the client and the manager updates and you should be claiming appropriate credit levels.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2006, 02:22:51 pm »
The optimised boinc client did not make a big difference in claimed credit for me. With the self adjusting time to finish in the newer managers, I found it was just easier to stay stock.which you must do if you dabble in other projects. Trux BTW and not cruncher has the best BOINC client.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2006, 05:43:58 pm »
The optimised boinc client did not make a big difference in claimed credit for me. With the self adjusting time to finish in the newer managers, I found it was just easier to stay stock.which you must do if you dabble in other projects. Trux BTW and not cruncher has the best BOINC client.

It may also vary depending on OS and processor.  Yours are mostly PIVs and mine Athlon XPs with a single Turion 64.  Which is best may differ between us.  Even without the maximally optimized client 2 of my machines are on the border now of setting new highs for their RAC.  It'll go even higher with the better (for me) client.

Currently at least I am only doing SETI so I don't need to worry about the others having trouble with the manager.

EDIT:  I just (several hours ago) updated my dual Athlon XP 2100 (SUSE Linux) and the time seems to have dropped from ~5hrs / WU to a little over 2hrs as a first approximation a 2.2 x increase in output.  It was putting out around 240 / day and this should make it up to ~520 /  day.  Very nice indeed.  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 09:03:08 pm by IKV Nemesis »

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2006, 07:08:00 am »

It may also vary depending on OS and processor.  Yours are mostly PIVs and mine Athlon XPs with a single Turion 64.  Which is best may differ between us.  Even without the maximally optimized client 2 of my machines are on the border now of setting new highs for their RAC.  It'll go even higher with the better (for me) client.

Currently at least I am only doing SETI so I don't need to worry about the others having trouble with the manager.

EDIT:  I just (several hours ago) updated my dual Athlon XP 2100 (SUSE Linux) and the time seems to have dropped from ~5hrs / WU to a little over 2hrs as a first approximation a 2.2 x increase in output.  It was putting out around 240 / day and this should make it up to ~520 /  day.  Very nice indeed.  :)

You'll never beat my 6 units on the original server... Sure you guys crank out a billion a day, But mine where just that... Mine , they are my 6 total units... No one can touch them, no one can have them , My Prescious Precious...

OK so how do I get started again? Links guys?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:46 am »
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/

your old account(s) are already transfered, you just need to activate it, dl software and attach and run. Or set up as new account and attach to the team page. After you are up and running we will set you up with some better software.`You should just show up on the team page.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2006, 11:47:43 am »
better software......?
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2006, 04:00:57 pm »
better software......?

With BOINC the SETI team lets out the source code and those with the skills and tools can optimize them for each processor and OS.  (Link to site).  I've known of this since well before I joined the BOINC SETI but decided to wait to get a bit of experience so I could judge the degree of improvement before making the change.  After all it would not be worth too much effort for a minor improvement.  For me at least the boost is not minor. 

My gaming machine for example was doing a WU in ~2:33 it is looking like it can do them in about ~1:06 for an output boost to 235% of what it had been doing.  If I can get that for all my systems I will be putting out ~2400 credits a day.  I will also be reaching the point where any further increase is impractical unless I get off dialup and onto broadband.  It is beginning to take just too many hours a day to transfer my data back and forth.  :)  A problem I never thought to have. :rwoot:

(1 WU seems to be about 25 credits typically in my experience)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2006, 04:06:28 pm »
You'll never beat my 6 units on the original server... Sure you guys crank out a billion a day, But mine where just that... Mine , they are my 6 total units... No one can touch them, no one can have them , My Prescious Precious...

Stephen

And every single WU mattered then and matters now. 

SETI @ Home Homepage

Download page

Do as much or little as you like.  You don't HAVE to get competitive like some of us ;) but it can add to the fun if you have the inclination.  Feel free to bluff if you wish, it has worked for me in the past ;)  MOOO!.

Note for Stephen:  Wednesdays are a bad time to join the SETI as they have the database down for a few hours and it can look like you are having problems when in fact the system is just undergoing routine maintenance. 

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2006, 01:36:41 am »

Stephen

And every single WU mattered then and matters now. 

SETI @ Home Homepage

Download page

Do as much or little as you like.  You don't HAVE to get competitive like some of us ;) but it can add to the fun if you have the inclination.  Feel free to bluff if you wish, it has worked for me in the past ;)  MOOO!.

Note for Stephen:  Wednesdays are a bad time to join the SETI as they have the database down for a few hours and it can look like you are having problems when in fact the system is just undergoing routine maintenance. 

Thanks Guys. I'll grab the Proggy tomorrow, and get started. Chances are, I'll have to start a new account though, as my old one... well, Let's just say I forgot the password. Man Looking at the site though, It's changed since the last time I looked at it.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War