Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 187902 times)

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2006, 09:30:22 pm »
FYI, I am going to SC until Friday on on union business.

Hopefully this will be far more enjoyable than one would expect of such a trip.  Good Luck.

My home machine will have a full cache but may not get transmitted until friday PM. My numbers and RAC will drop accordingly until then.
That is all

Hopefully everything continues to process smoothly and that you can upload and download your cache easily as soon as your back. 

Have fun.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #301 on: April 06, 2006, 08:27:21 pm »
And I slide up one notch.

1) Raven               1,368,711.30    7,983.68    United States
2) The Postman        251,634.97    1,574.24    United States
3) IKV Nemesis         125,387.68    1,815.95           Canada
4) RazalYllib              124,597.60       896.19   United States
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2006, 10:50:06 am »

Link: ht

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2006, 07:57:51 am »
Here is a blast from the past and it has our roots and beginnings. Very interesting read as to how this team started. :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20011122222545/216.203.248.212/ubb/Forum1/HTML/014710.html

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2006, 09:08:55 am »
What a blast from the past!.

To think that 3000 units was tops :)

Here is a blast from the past and it has our roots and beginnings. Very interesting read as to how this team started. :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20011122222545/216.203.248.212/ubb/Forum1/HTML/014710.html

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2006, 05:48:36 pm »
Incredibly eerie ... I had almost forgotton what the forum layout used to look like... how the time flies
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2006, 09:16:54 am »
new MB ordered. IF I can get it running with anywhere near the numbers I caught a glimpse of, I think I can hold you off indefinitely especially with a modest CPU upgrade to the AV40. 400fsb socket 478 are getting pretty cheap these days.

New machine processing?  From your RAC rise I would think so.   :thumbsup:

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »
new MB ordered. IF I can get it running with anywhere near the numbers I caught a glimpse of, I think I can hold you off indefinitely especially with a modest CPU upgrade to the AV40. 400fsb socket 478 are getting pretty cheap these days.

New machine processing?  From your RAC rise I would think so.   :thumbsup:

Don't panic yet, I am going to have to take the Shuttle AV40 off line for a week or so in order to format and reload. It caught a cold. In the mean time, the Shuttle AV49PN(VIA PT800) has been replaced with a ASUS P4P800E (865PE, 2.6 Northwood) and is spitting out 2 every 70 minutes on rather conservative settings. That is the absolute limit of the dial up. Between the 2, I am moving close to 60 WU's a day through 1 dialup connection.
  It would seem the Shuttle board was bad even though it would sort of run.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2006, 04:28:54 pm »
Don't panic yet, I am going to have to take the Shuttle AV40 off line for a week or so in order to format and reload. It caught a cold. In the mean time, the Shuttle AV49PN(VIA PT800) has been replaced with a ASUS P4P800E (865PE, 2.6 Northwood) and is spitting out 2 every 70 minutes on rather conservative settings. That is the absolute limit of the dial up. Between the 2, I am moving close to 60 WU's a day through 1 dialup connection.
  It would seem the Shuttle board was bad even though it would sort of run.

Not panicing.  I'm glad to see it. 

Afterall if catching you was easy there would be no fun in it.  :)  Thats why I gave the thumbs up smiley.  :thumbsup:

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2006, 03:47:51 pm »
May 4, 2006
We've started distributing work for a new version of SETI@home called SETI@home Enhanced.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_enhanced.php

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2006, 03:57:57 pm »
Right now I can't upload or DL work because the network is jammed.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2006, 09:12:10 am »
May 4, 2006
We've started distributing work for a new version of SETI@home called SETI@home Enhanced.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_enhanced.php

If I understand this right the new packets will take longer to process / K of data and credit should be increased in proportion so 10 hours work with the new or old systems should produce ~ equal credit.  If I am right in that then this will be good for me as I am currently transferring data in about as high a volume as I can handle on my dial up internet account.  This will decrease the transfer per computer and allow the possiblity of adding more computing power to my systems.  :)

Right now my output is down as my laptop is being used more (posting this from the laptop at my parents new house as I await appliance deliveries) and I am playing Galactic Civilzations II which stops BOINC on my gaming machine when running. 

P.S. Happy Birthday!   :drinkinsong: :rockinband: : :tonybanks: :drinkinsong:

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2006, 09:58:25 am »
Thanks.

Don't forget. if I understand this correctly, we need to delete the Appinfo.xml before we can get the new app or WUs. Then we can load the new apps. I think for a few weeks, our RAC will be a little messed up.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #313 on: May 06, 2006, 10:01:43 am »
Don't panic yet, I am going to have to take the Shuttle AV40 off line for a week or so in order to format and reload. It caught a cold.

Well, I pulled it apart this AM and tried to boot into a new HD and now I can't get into the bios or anything else. I may have killed the board.. If I did, all I can say is it was a kick a** board that served me well. In the mean time, I am transferring the flag to the ASUS board. All of my documents, seti boinc logs, email etc are being copied and transfered. When it is all done, I may give the shuttle AV49PN 1 more try and see if it will run at 400fsb.

in other news, I do have some enhanced work on the ASUS. it keeps the manager messed up for your cache size. I am going to need to find the optimised client for enhanced fast.we need version 5.12, not the beta version.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #314 on: May 10, 2006, 07:17:10 pm »
Is anybody else running enhanced besides me?

Offline RazalYllib

• Imperial Romulan Information Service-senior advisor
  • Lt.
    • IRIS
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2006, 05:38:23 pm »
I am running enhanced on the duel core box
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says "don't you see?"
Gotta make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up
You got an empty cup
Only love can fill
Only love can fill

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #316 on: May 16, 2006, 06:33:58 pm »
May 16, 2006
All of our splitters have been altered to create workunits for SETI@home enhanced. Thanks, for your patients during this transition.

As it turned out, I had finished changing over the farm this morning. I have Win2K loaded on the new/old Shuttle and just need to upgrade to XP SP2 to get all of the drivers then that will be back on line.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2006, 04:03:24 pm »

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2006, 04:25:35 pm »
Well my RAC is on the rise again, however slowly. The AV40 has been replaced with the Av49PN and it seems to be running well except for no sound. I am going to need to check for driver conflicts to see if I can resolve that one. There does not seem to be the math issues that I had the last time I tried this board.
The Asus P4p800E is running very well. I never did get to  see what its RAC was going to top out at with the 4.18/4.11 work units. I think 450 is about where its going to be now with the 5.12 units.

For those that can't get to the new optimised client because of 404 errors, try this link:

http://calbe.dw70.de/

All of the downloads needed to setup the new optimised enhanced client are there. Remember to pick the right one depending on your processor.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2006, 06:55:58 am »
I just started enhanced on one of my machines, they have all run out of work on the old client.  I found the easiest way to do the upgrade (from an optimized client) was just to detach and reattach to the SETI project.  I'll probably run the stock client for a day then upgrade to the optimized again.   So for the next few days or maybe a week or two my numbers will likely be down as I upgrade to enhanced then to optimized clients again.