Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186152 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2006, 07:56:15 pm »
Maybe somebody should invite him to come over, we might be waiting a while otherwise. He hasn't been around here in quite a while..

Just PM'd him.  Text of the PM below.

Subject:     You have been nominated and seconded...
Now check out the SETI thread to find out what for.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #421 on: November 03, 2006, 07:50:46 am »
I suppose if I am going to be Lord God Emperor for Life... I may have to do a little work.

I have initiated the peaceful transfer of power.  If Kenneth fails to heed my demands I will take control by force.

GE-Raven

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #422 on: November 10, 2006, 10:12:30 am »
Ken has denied my Transfer of power... so it appears he wants to fight!

GE-Raven

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #423 on: November 15, 2006, 04:56:38 pm »
Ken has denied my Transfer of power... so it appears he wants to fight!

GE-Raven

Did you get the idea he wants somebody else?

Link: ht

Offline GE-Raven

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #424 on: November 17, 2006, 08:00:21 am »
I got no message... just that he refused to give me the ownership... Meh...

GE-Raven

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2006, 08:03:28 pm »
I wonder if the whole thing is just a SETI glitch?
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #426 on: December 10, 2006, 07:34:40 pm »
long overdue progress report

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2006, 10:13:44 pm »
Just under a year since I began putting my systems on BOINC full time and I've passed 400,000.  In spite of my one machine being under clocked (waiting for a rebuilding) my output is not doing too badly now that I've put the laptop back online, I don't like carrying it once the snow begins to fly. 

At some point events will stop blocking my rebuilding systems and I'll begin to upgrade my dying dual Athlon 2100+ system then I should advance much better.  The question will be dual core or wait for quad?

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #428 on: December 11, 2006, 10:50:19 pm »
i would suggest you go w/ the dual core. 2 main reasons

A) there is no native quad core avaible until 2007 Q2/Q3 (so this might be possible for you if it takes that long to get a new system ;))
B)  the only curren methods to get quad cores are excesivly expensive (EE intel quad or AMD's solution which turned out to be a bit of a letdown)

And i would personally suggest go w/ the core 2 duo, the processors outpeform its AMD counterparts in almost every test and do so with a good margin.  So unless AMD's upcoming processors are signifcantly better (and they happen to available at the time of your purchase) i personally see no reason to go w/ them outside of price (though the price/peformance curve is heavily weighted in intels favor atm)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #429 on: December 13, 2006, 08:01:13 pm »
Just switched my Core Duo and Core2Duo machines to customized clients.

Cant wait to see the RAC improvement.

And I hope to be adding 1, maybe 2 more machines to my fold in the next month or so.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #430 on: December 13, 2006, 08:37:33 pm »
Just switched my Core Duo and Core2Duo machines to customized clients.

Cant wait to see the RAC improvement.

And I hope to be adding 1, maybe 2 more machines to my fold in the next month or so.

Oh poop, Now you are going to force me to spend money I don't have on cpu and ram  upgrades. to stay on top of this. Lets see, 2 Northwood 3.4's +  1 gig of pc 3200 is ???????. That should up my RAC by 750 and 1k I hope. That would still leave me room to grow into EE cpus down the road.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #431 on: December 13, 2006, 10:29:43 pm »
I haven't made a final decision as to X2 or Core2Duo  yet. 

One advantage the AM2 socket motherboards have is they are supposed to be able to handle the quad core chips when they arrive so I could put a "low cost" X2 in and shift to quad when they come out.  The AM3 chips when they arrive are also supposed to be able to go in AM2 motherboards.  I haven't heard the equivalent from Intel (which doesn't mean they won't match that I haven't really had the time to follow things lately).

I was thinking about the AMD 4x4 outfits.  They are getting a lot of flack for taking 600watts for the system.  One of them could replace 2 of my systems and allow me to virtuallize my Win2k on top of Linux with no real loss in potential from the Win2k (only handles 2 cores).  I think each of the current systems likely draws 300 watts so replacing 2 with one 600 watt killer machine wouldn't be the big power cost it seems like in the beginning.  Of course if I were to go that way I'd be waiting for the quad core chips to get 8 cores in one machine.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #432 on: December 15, 2006, 05:21:11 pm »
Also, I just bumped my cache to 5 days... lets see if that makes a difference.

I'm kinda disappointed in my C2D 2.4...  it should be producing 2x what it's RAC has been.  Hopefully the changes I made will allow it to make up that difference.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #433 on: December 17, 2006, 03:45:49 pm »
Broke 100k this morning; and for a while, had top RAC according to Seti's team stats.  (not the case now).

No new PC's for a while unless I get an unexpected gift.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #434 on: December 17, 2006, 08:24:13 pm »
Does anyone know of an SSE3 cruncher for non intel chips?

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2006, 08:03:49 pm »
I just lost over 2000 credits because of validation errors on Seti's end. Everyone may want to sit on their WU's rather return them for o credit.  >:(

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2006, 08:55:26 pm »
Only have 1 invalid WU recently; but Seti Site is extremely sluggish, and WU's arent uploading.

I did pass your RAC though Postman ;)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #437 on: December 25, 2006, 09:17:16 pm »
Merry Christmas to the SETI crew. 

I haven't made a final decision as to X2 or Core2Duo  yet. 

This decision is delayed indefinitely.  I was E-mailed by a co-worker a few days ago and it seems we have been bought out again.  At this point I don't know what that means to my job and it could mean anything from "Job?  What job?" to "40 hours a week is not nearly enough".  Until I know all major expenses are on hold.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #438 on: December 29, 2006, 07:50:51 pm »
That sucks.

Looks like my RAC has stabilized around 2700 for now.

I'm kinda annoyed I didnt spring for a better motherboard on my Core2Duo machine.  Apparently it's easily overclocked :/

This decision is delayed indefinitely.  I was E-mailed by a co-worker a few days ago and it seems we have been bought out again.  At this point I don't know what that means to my job and it could mean anything from "Job?  What job?" to "40 hours a week is not nearly enough".  Until I know all major expenses are on hold.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #439 on: December 29, 2006, 08:42:31 pm »
That sucks.

Looks like my RAC has stabilized around 2700 for now.

I'm kinda annoyed I didnt spring for a better motherboard on my Core2Duo machine. Apparently it's easily overclocked :/

That still leaves you in reach IF they don't pull the plug in the next few weeks. We will all lose our custom apps (crunchers)though  when they bring the multi beam recorder data out of beta.
I already have a line on the 1st new Northwood CPU upgrade to slow down your catching up to me.