Topic: OP+ shiplist 2.2 now up!  (Read 15263 times)

FireSoul

Re: OP+ shiplist 2.2 now up!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2003, 02:54:09 pm »
Quote:

Since SFB has definitive listings for HULL TYPES, one can definitely make some generalizations as to which models correspond to which SFB-Hull Types, and take it from there, thereby allowing some variety in models, but adhering to some common standard that enhances the gaming experience for everyone

That's the idea.
I'd like you guys to check out the following SFC-style models:
 FeralYards

Obviously, there are a lot of missing models, such as the Tugs and LTTs.. but we'll get around that for now.

-- Luc
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2003, 03:07:22 pm »

Quote:

I'm saying just break them down by SFB hull type more.

Yes this is exactly what I would hope for.

Firesoul, if you do add models to your next shiplist the above would be much appreciated.  Even if you only use Taldren-like models, having model slots for each SFB hull type allows us to insert our own models for each hull type without much difficulty.

For me it's kind of disappointing to have to use the DD model for the old Texas class CL for example.

Of course I could make the changes to the shiplist myself using the editing tools, but then I'm not "standardized", so to speak, with other OP+ shiplist users which makes things more cumbersome, especially for online play with servers using your shiplist.  

jdmckinney

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2003, 03:19:43 pm »
Quote:

That's the idea.
I'd like you guys to check out the following SFC-style models:
 FeralYards

Obviously, there are a lot of missing models, such as the Tugs and LTTs.. but we'll get around that for now.

-- Luc

I should probably let him speak for himself, but EmeraldEdge has been dutifully slogging away at tug models conforming to SFC styles for some time now. The progress is slow, but he did show us SFCX folks a pretty (if tugs can be called that) Lyran tug model. It doesn't look like a CA with giant boxes attached to it, but rather more like a new ship. The core hull is more like a DD, I suppose, but it does have some bulk and looks like it really was built as a tug instead of a hull that slapped huge containers on in structurally unsound spots.

Hopefully he'll give you all a taste soon.

FireSoul

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2003, 03:25:45 pm »
Quote:

I should probably let him speak for himself, but EmeraldEdge has been dutifully slogging away at tug models conforming to SFC styles for some time now. The progress is slow, but he did show us SFCX folks a pretty (if tugs can be called that) Lyran tug model. It doesn't look like a CA with giant boxes attached to it, but rather more like a new ship. The core hull is more like a DD, I suppose, but it does have some bulk and looks like it really was built as a tug instead of a hull that slapped huge containers on in structurally unsound spots.

Hopefully he'll give you all a taste soon.  

He showed me yesterday.. and I told him I would describe to him how the ships need to look like if he needs the information.  

Auron

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2003, 04:00:27 pm »
There is no NEED to include the models at all, just the directories to put them in and the proper pointers in the shiplist.  Use .bat commands to copy the current models into the new directories.  So to a player that didn't want anything to do with custom models would show no difference at all but for the custom modeler he/she could enjoy the game even more.

dderidex

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2003, 04:14:10 pm »
Wouldn't even need a .bat file.

The WISE installer software can create an install script that renames and copy folders just fine.

That's why I used for the SFC3 9-ship mod pack.

FireSoul

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2003, 04:15:03 pm »
Quote:

There is no NEED to include the models at all, just the directories to put them in and the proper pointers in the shiplist.  Use .bat commands to copy the current models into the new directories.  So to a player that didn't want anything to do with custom models would show no difference at all but for the custom modeler he/she could enjoy the game even more.  

I don't like that method.

What if the installed directory isn't the default?
What if the user doesn't know where the SFC directory is on the HD? (not to mention the models)
What about ease-of-use I have just introduced in version 2.2?
What about the models.siz file?

Everyone seems to have a unique and different way of doing this. I'd like to do it my own way, with the same criticism I have given myself with the shiplist so far. Do you realize this is turning into a full-fledge mod? Please let me attend to this my own way..

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2003, 04:16:37 pm »
Quote:

Wouldn't even need a .bat file.

The WISE installer software can create an install script that renames and copy folders just fine.

That's why I used for the SFC3 9-ship mod pack.  

I have used WISE in the past. It's a nice commercial installer software kit..
.. but I don't work there anymore since that employer went under a few years ago. Like in 2.2, I intend to use the NullSoft NSIS kit.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2003, 04:19:45 pm »
Heh, so now I'm working on two sets.  One out of my imagination (but using a somewhat SFC style) and one trying to conform a little closer to SFB.  So much the better for the community, eh?  Hopefully I'll be relatively done with both tugs sometime this weekend.  I miffed the textures on one, way too orange, but that's neither here nor there.  Heck, I'll post the one Doug is talking about.

This is one that is made up of a Kitbash that Attibat and I did, and all new "pods".  The SFB style one will have pallets and will be based off the LCA hull so it will look much different (just need to un-miff the textures).

And for those who do not like it, it's not anything mandatory, just something I'm doing to help give some variety for when the OP+ supports new model directories. I'm not aware of that many tug models out there (especially for races other than the big 3) so I figured I'd give it a go.    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by EmeraldEdge »

FireSoul

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2003, 04:21:06 pm »
Folks, I think there are a few things you need to know about the next version and how I will include models..

1- The current shiplist kit is around 250kb. Modem users LOVE that. I intend to maintain support to these users. That means I will probably have 2 downloadables.
2- Arguing about how I'm going to do it is not going to help since I already made up my mind how.
3- Which models I will use will be carefully picked. I won't mix styles too much unless it makes sense.
4- Not everybody will be happy with the results. That's also why I will have 2 downloadables.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 04:22:47 pm by FireSoul »

dderidex

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2003, 04:23:22 pm »
WISE has a free version, so I will answer with that in mind:

Quote:

What if the installed directory isn't the default?

Allow the user to specify the installed directory.
Quote:

What if the user doesn't know where the SFC directory is on the HD? (not to mention the models)

The models will always be in the same folder under the base SFC folder.

The base SFC folder information is stored in the registry, and WISE can read that and use it as the default.

As I did with the SFC3 mod pack.
Quote:

What about ease-of-use I have just introduced in version 2.2?

Just clicking 'Next' a bunch of times seems pretty easy to me.
Quote:

I am unfamiliar with what that is?

FireSoul

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2003, 04:25:55 pm »
I was discrediting .bat files, not the WISE installer.
.. as for the WISE installer, I already started with NSIS, so what's the point?

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2003, 04:33:47 pm »
Anyways.. Please enjoy the current version of the shiplist. Dwelling on the next one's stressing me out right now. I have a nasty headache. Let me take care of it, my own way, the way I find it to work right.

-- Luc
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2003, 04:38:15 pm »

Quote:

Please let me attend to this my own way..

I'm sorry.  I thought you were soliciting input.....my bad.  I really like the way "your way" has turned out so far.  Keep up the "your way".  

FireSoul

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2003, 04:41:12 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I am unfamiliar with what that is?  

The model.siz file was introduced as an anti-cheat measure. The sizes of models from one side must match to the size of the models on the other. This file can also be used to resize models. It is checked during multiplayer games just like shiplists and other essential files are.

Before model.siz was introduced to SFC2 (thanks to Khoromag), the ability to cheat was easy.
ie: un unmodded player flew with an unmodded copy of SFC2. The enemy would hang back at range 30, pounding at him as if he's at range 0. The player did very little damage to the enemy. (range 30 being what it is)
The opponent would have a modded model for the ship in question.. .. something of the size of 30 like a planet for example. The player's model edge would be very close to the other ship while its center is still at around range 30 away.

If i am to handle models, I have to modify model.siz also, in the right way.

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2003, 04:44:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Please let me attend to this my own way..

I'm sorry.  I thought you were soliciting input.....my bad.  I really like the way "your way" has turned out so far.  Keep up the "your way".  

Heh.. I was merely *HINTING* about what I have already started on..  I have it in hand, but there's a LOT of work to do, yet.

MadElf

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2003, 05:05:54 pm »
Quote:

Folks, I think there are a few things you need to know about the next version and how I will include models..

1- The current shiplist kit is around 250kb. Modem users LOVE that. I intend to maintain support to these users. That means I will probably have 2 downloadables.
2- Arguing about how I'm going to do it is not going to help since I already made up my mind how.
3- Which models I will use will be carefully picked. I won't mix styles too much unless it makes sense.
4- Not everybody will be happy with the results. That's also why I will have 2 downloadables.

FS, you kick butt man, do the models in whatever manner you like!  GREAT SHIPLIST TOO!  Love the B racks on the X1, just makes em look better as well as fight better, and the new ships are cool too.  Heck, there are even a few klingon ones I'd be seen flying    

FireSoul

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2003, 05:23:27 pm »
Hey MadElf, try out the new Boom arcs on the F5s. Don't trust the UI graphics. They're still FAL/FAR like before, except they fire down the rear of the ship too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 05:26:19 pm by FireSoul »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2003, 07:35:34 pm »
Quote:

Heh, so now I'm working on two sets.  One out of my imagination (but using a somewhat SFC style) and one trying to conform a little closer to SFB.  So much the better for the community, eh?  Hopefully I'll be relatively done with both tugs sometime this weekend.  I miffed the textures on one, way too orange, but that's neither here nor there.  Heck, I'll post the one Doug is talking about.

This is one that is made up of a Kitbash that Attibat and I did, and all new "pods".  The SFB style one will have pallets and will be based off the LCA hull so it will look much different (just need to un-miff the textures).

And for those who do not like it, it's not anything mandatory, just something I'm doing to help give some variety for when the OP+ supports new model directories. I'm not aware of that many tug models out there (especially for races other than the big 3) so I figured I'd give it a go.      

Yeah! More Ships!

Thank you Firesoul, EmeraldEdge and company.

KF

dderidex

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2003, 07:45:51 pm »
Quote:

That's why I was pushing for just copying the existing folders and leaving it up to modders to work with or not.  Only 1 download needed, then, and it would still be small.

I wouldn't want to see 2 downloads of different shiplists (one with new models, one without).

Not if it can be avoided.

I mean, really, how many D2 servers are running the OP+ pack right now?  A few?  And you want to divide that up even further between 'OP+ with extra ship models' and 'OP+ without'?

As it is now is...okay.  If you wanted to break out the hull types more, I'd really rather you just copy the existing model folders used, and use those - so a single shiplist could be used for all.