Topic: New cloak not working as advertised  (Read 16853 times)

David Ferrell

Re: New cloak not working as advertised
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2003, 05:23:03 pm »
Feel free to point out any CTDs that you find and how to reproduce them.

I have already fixed the PPD one (it has unique circumstances that made
*this* crash unique to the PPD).

Since I introduced it, I sure as heck better fix it.

Thanks,

Dave  

Corbomite

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2003, 05:25:18 pm »
Now that's service for you!!  

FireSoul

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2003, 05:26:05 pm »
Quote:

Now that's service for you!!    

I agree.

Corbomite

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2003, 05:39:06 pm »
Ok I just tried Fusions and Hellbores. They work fine. With what Jwest said I think that covers everything. I will try ESG and ESG lance just to be sure though.

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2003, 06:05:30 pm »

Quote:

They gave her back to me.

-William Shatner as Captain Kirk, Star Trek TMP

Quote:

I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

-William Shatner as Captain Kirk, Star Trek II

Quote:

Ever think of retiring?

-Kirk  
Quote:

Not planning on it.

-Picard, Star Trek Generations

Quote:

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge, off that ship. Because as long as you're there, you can make a difference.

-Kirk, Star Trek Generations

Quote:

I'll be back.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator  et al

Quote:

Shane! Shane! Come back!

-Little Girl, Shane

Quote:

Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it.

-HAL9000, 2001 A Space Odyssey

Quote:

Houston - we have a problem.

-Tom Hanks, Apollo 13

Quote:

Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

-Admiral David Farragut, Battle of Mobile Bay, Aug 5, 1864

Quote:

It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done.

-A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

Quote:

You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked! Well I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause even if this room gets filled with lies like these; and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me.

- Jimmy Stewart as Sen Jefferson Smith, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Quote:

Feed me! Feed me, Seymour!

-Audrey II, Little Shop Of Horrors

Quote:

[Robin Hood, do you feel you are overtaxed?]

-Prince to Robin Hood

Quote:

Overtaxed, overworked and paid off with a knife, a club or a rope.  

-Robin Hood to the Prince and Sheriff

Quote:

Why, you speak treason!

-Maid Marian

Quote:

Fluently.

-Robin Hood, played by Errol Flynn, the Adventures of Robin Hood, 1948

Quote:

There are two kinds of [SFC fans]: high maintenance and low maintenance...

-Billy Crystal

Quote:

Which one am I?

-Meg Ryan

Quote:

You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance, but you think you're low maintenance.

-Billy Crystal, When Harry Met Sally

Quote:

We're putting the band back together. We need you man. We need your horn.

-John Belushi, as Joliet Jake to Mr. Fab, The Blues Brothers

Quote:

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone, Godfather III

Great to have you back at it, Dave!

I promise: another patch and another donation of gratitude, recognizing that it is NOT solicited by you, NOT required, NOT requested, NOT anything.  Just a sign of gratitude.

Take your time. And consider removing EW from cloak, implementing the 33% full/half/no damage calculation, true range instead of effective range during damage calculation, Mip mapping, potato-peeling, window-washing, foot-massaging, and Set-It-And-Forget-It functioning.

A sincere thank you!

And did you get a chance to the Kingdom Come Action Figures at Comic Con?

-TF

Jwest

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2003, 06:08:03 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Well, having played a cloaking warbird for two day now, I has definitively say that phasers, disruptors, photons, and plasma on bare hull while cloaked don't crash to desktop. I'm pretty sure they do too much damage, but I can't blame that on the program team unfortunately - <G>    

Well if things are working right you should never have plasma (or drones) on bare hull while cloaked unless someone flashes and grabs you. All the others I thank you for, however.  

Or if perchance, new sensor data meant one suddenly realized the Pseudo-torp they were ignoring was actually a functional enveloping R-Torp, at not quite the last second.

Fortunately I would never let myself get bluffed that way.

Thank god for that. <Looks around sheepishly>  

Corbomite

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2003, 06:14:02 pm »
I just tried all the DF weapons, including X weapons and the ESG. They work fine. I guess the PPD is the only culprit, thankfully.

Jim

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2003, 07:27:51 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

Dave... thanks!   Add another reason to the hundreds we owe you thanks for!  If I ever win the lottery, I'm sending you some of it!

Jim

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2003, 08:22:56 pm »

Quote:

Im looking forward to seeing a game on the shelf at CompUSA that has the intials SFB and SVC right next to each other on the box, directly under a picture of the NCC 1701 Enterprise.

(Sounds good, eh Hyper?  )

Amen brother!!!!!................some day.  Until then, I'll play the hell out of SFC OP......thanks to Dave Ferrell and people like Firesoul.  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2003, 10:33:25 am »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

Thank ya kindly, Dave.

To me, you programmers work mysterious magic.  I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag...heheh.

Just out of curiosity (don't really care one way or the other), but since you had to wade back into the water just as you were finally getting dried off...are you going to leave the cloaked ship damage table as is or is that a quickie fix that you're willing to do?  Either way, if this PPD bug is squashed, this patch rocks...

Capt Jeff

« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2003, 12:31:32 pm »
This PPD problem doesn't apply just to firing on cloaked ships.  Blow up any ship or even a drone with PPD and you crash.,

TarMinyatur

New cloak not working as advertised
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2003, 09:03:07 pm »
I have yet to observe a single Overloaded Photon do 4 points of damage. According to the published chart, 33% should do 16, 33% do 8, and 33% do 4. So far, approximately 2/3rds do 16 and 1/3 do 8 over about 100 shots.

Is the random number generator improperly set up? It may be giving a 0, 1, 2 when the intended results are 1, 2, 3, thereby shifting the cloak chart to a woeful:

IntRnd(3)
returns 0,1,2

0: Full damage (?)
1: Full damage
2: Half damage
3: Quarter damage (Can't occur)

IntRnd(3) + 1 would solve the problem if this is the case

Can anyone else confirm this?

Note that this is single-player. Are there two versions of the cloak chart? This would seem to be unlikely but it is possible. I'll get online and test multi.

I had some help from Centuri Vaughn and Sabercut on GSA. There is a bug here. Not a single OV Photon did less than 8 and a super majority of them did 16.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 09:51:48 pm by TarMinyatur »

Tulmahk

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2003, 04:35:06 am »
One of the reasons I stopped playing SFC2 (aside from time constraints) was due to the incredibly poor implementation of the cloaking device, making Romulan ships far more difficult to play.

And the SFB rules DO allow for invisible cloak.  It merely requires a referee to moderate it.  In the computerized version of SFB, the computer acts automatically as that referee, so there is no need whatsoever for the Shade-and-DieŽ.  One of the worst game design decisions, ever.

Cleaven

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2003, 04:53:26 am »
My guess is that it was a short-cut taken due to other pressures, as opposed to a deliberate design decision made in the initial planning. It has just taken a long time to put it right (almost).  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Cleaven »

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2003, 09:48:40 am »
Quote:

One of the reasons I stopped playing SFC2 (aside from time constraints) was due to the incredibly poor implementation of the cloaking device, making Romulan ships far more difficult to play.

I have yet to play the new patch vs another human, but vs the AI cloak is now a very usfull tool. Using old style cloak tactics in a WE and then in a Sph-A, I made short work of an admiral level AI F-CC+. Neither ship took internals. Later vs an F-NEC, I was happy to see that the good old "duck and clear" works just fine for ditching those pesky drones.

I don't know how hard it'll be for a human player to void cloak, but Shade-and-DieŽ is dead. The Romulans who've fought for so long in broken Gorn ships and learned to compete with them, will now be all the more lethal for the experience.

Let the Federation fear the sound of our silence.  

I was surprised to learn that of all people, TarMinyatur was not on the testing team. Wether RL constraints, judgement call, or just oversight, the meticulous manner he applies to testing would have been an asset.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 10:17:02 am by SPQR Renegade001 »

NannerSlug

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2003, 11:26:14 am »
sorry renegade, i completely disagree with that statment about tar. his post only proves no good deed goes unpunished.

dave has mentioned in different threads that it is an approximatioin of the sfb rule set - not exact.

so play the game and enjoy it. dave/taldren didnt have to do anything, but they decided to. i think there would be a little bit of a thank you. - as there is from many including your self (i dont expact any from tar).

play it. enjoy it. live it.

FireSoul

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2003, 11:55:04 am »
You see..
.. David didn't enhance the cloak because he had to. He did it because we asked him if he could. Same goes for fighters being recalled by AI Carriers, AI pirates using engine doubling, and AI using ECM/ECCM. It's all been in good faith.

Tar: just play it, and use the ECM effect which isn't supposed to be there by SFB rules to compensate.

Lepton1

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2003, 12:04:40 pm »
Tar isn't complaining.   He's pointing out an accident in what was clearly Dave's intention to use the cloak damage chart that is quoted in Dave's own posts.  Clearly if something went wrong, we should at least be aware of it, if not ask that it be changed since this was Dave's intention in the first place.

As for the cloak only being "like-SFB", that has more to do I think if you check Dave's and other posts with the loss of lock for seeking weapons.  This is SFB emulated portion.  But the cloak damage chart is the cloak damage chart and I firmly believe that is what Dave and everoyne else wants.

This is from Dave's own post:

Cloak changes:
1) Decreased flash time by about 1/4.
2) Seeking weapons now are removed if firing ship looses lock.
3) Being tractored will no longer prevent cloak from being brought on-line.
4) If a ship being tractored cloaks, the ship holding the cloaker will maintain lock.
5) Weapons damage is reduced according to the following chart:
33.3% chance weapon does normal damage.
33.3% chance weapon does 1/2 damage.
33.3% chance weapon does 1/4 damage.

If it isn't doing 1/4 damage, then that's a problem.

I'd be interested to know if any weapons are suffering 1/4 damage.  Perhaps there is some photon bonus that is effecting the cloak DAC.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lepton1 »

Lepton1

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2003, 09:51:08 pm »
I am surprised there has been no official response. 100 trials says it all I think.  If it doesn't work the way intended then it should be stated so or fixed.

3dot14

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2003, 09:57:07 pm »
Is this such a big deal?

Consider the cloak has gotten a few bonus from its SFB cousin, it's not surprising it loses a few. Personally, I am inclined to simply alter the readme.txt to match the current situation.

Now I know I prefer this cloak to SFC3's hidden cloak (both as seeker or hider) and this OP cloak is far from shade and die. but I am curious, Tulmahk, how Exactly does the SFB's referring system work?