Topic: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?  (Read 20338 times)

Aenigma

Re: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2003, 03:58:06 pm »
If it really were the last patch we would be extremely angry. The same thing happened with Armada 1 though, only got a 1.1 and 1.2 patch and that was just it. But i think the SFC community is a little bit more vocal, so i don't expect just two patches. Just don't believe 'rumors', they are false until they come true.  

Koloth

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2003, 04:01:20 pm »
I understand. This is why I asked the question to Dan for his comment (if any) about it. There have been situations where a rumor was the truth.

TheJudge

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2003, 04:31:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

has sfc3 been doing well in the market sales wise?

It has been doing as well as we expected it would.  It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

that's good to hear..I bought two..one for me and one for my cousin.  

LtHawk

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2003, 08:58:46 pm »
Quote:

Hey Guys, as David and others have mentioned, this patch (actually it's three patches - for US, UK and German versions) is in the final stages of Activision QA.

And the short answer to "why is it taking so long" boils down to the fact that, in order to insure that this patch fixes everything we say it does, and doesn't break anything new, we need to test every aspect of the game - single player and multiplayer skirmish, SP campaigns, tutorials, SP conquest and, of course, the D3.  We also need to do this for the US regular, US Best Buy, German and UK versions of the game.

Fortunately, I can report that testing is going very well.  We are looking to release all three patches shortly, possibly within the week, and assuming we don't find anything new.

I apologize for the delay.  Your patience will soon be rewarded.  

Lol , I LOVE IT!!!

Everyone rags on the patch and it is taking too long ect...ect... Then the allmighty Dan  posts a reply and everone is all smiles and buddy buddy. I want to be in activisions Q&A, just sit on my butt and play a flawed game all day and get paid for it! Just kidding! Its so nice that Dan keeps us informed. Kudos!!!  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2003, 09:46:07 pm »

Quote:

It has been doing as well as we expected it would. It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

Sooooo Dan (and others in the know), does that mean you guys will (GAW) do an SFC3 expansion?  You said you'd know by January.  If you can't (GAW) answer this directly how about a "loaded" hint?

Second, how about the (GAW) prospects for SFC4 based on the sales figures of SFC3?  Are you going to call up Harry, and Erik for (GAW) a 300,000 sales strategy sitdown?  I'd be glad to (GAW) attend cause I happen to (GAW) have a few (GAW) ideas myself.

I know this might be nosey and I don't (GAW) expect direct answers, but it would be nice to hear you're thoughts even if they are (GAW) evasive....pretty please?      

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2003, 11:07:57 pm »
Quote:

are you a star trek fan Dan?

Yeah, for the most part.

Quote:

in your opinion if you were running activision based on sfc3 sales numbers you would do a sequel? your opinion of course.

In my honest opinion, it is far too early to tell whether sales warrant an expansion or sequel.

Quote:

It has been rumored that this patch will be the first and last patch for SFC3. Would you care to comment on that?

Not at this time.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One thing I don't remember mention in here is that the patch, for all three versions, will contain the Borg mini-campaign that was, until now, a retail exclusive for Best Buy.  We are releasing those missions with the patch.

Thought you'd want to know.  

ChamadaIV

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2003, 11:44:23 pm »
Quote:

One thing I don't remember mention in here is that the patch, for all three versions, will contain the Borg mini-campaign that was, until now, a retail exclusive for Best Buy.  We are releasing those missions with the patch.

Well, that's good. Now everyone else who didn't buy sfc3 best buy version can enjoy those missions as well (in proper post-patch working order that is). The mini-campaign isn't much, but fun in its own right for those of you who like Star Trek's greatest villain race. Sorry Romulans, you guys never had the  cojones  to invade sector 001 like the Borg did...  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2003, 11:47:20 pm »
Thank you (GAW) for the comments Dan.  

Maxillius

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2003, 12:19:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's good. Now everyone else who didn't buy sfc3 best buy version can enjoy those missions as well (in proper post-patch working order that is). The mini-campaign isn't much, but fun in its own right for those of you who like Star Trek's greatest villain race. Sorry Romulans, you guys never had the  cojones  to invade sector 001 like the Borg did...  

Yeeessss we did, we just did it waaay too early and made asses of ourselves doing it. Anyone remember the Battle of Cheron (Pluto's moon)?

Alexander1701

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2003, 12:46:52 am »
  Not to mention, of course the SPOILER plan of Shinzon (spelling?) in Nemesis to SPOILER destroy earth's population.

Alexander

ChamadaIV

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2003, 12:48:22 am »
Quote:

Yeeessss we did, we just did it waaay too early and made asses of ourselves doing it. Anyone remember the Battle of Cheron (Pluto's moon)?  

Bah! says I. You Roms have never even come close to the ballsy devestation the Borg inflicted on the (at that time) haughty and arrogant Federation. Wolf 359 anyone?

"But enough of this foolish game my arch-nemesis!" (cliche from the bible of villainy) We shall spar another day on this, in another forum... (evil grin with wicked sneer   )    

Nameless

Size
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2003, 12:56:30 am »
hey what u guys up there recon the est size for the patch will be?  

Credo Narth

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2003, 03:40:17 am »
Well, I'll have to eat humble pie and apologise to Dan for all the things I said about him. If Dan's going to be brave enough to post here week in, week out, good or bad news, then respect is due. Heck, it'll be like old times when Erik and Dave themselves would prowl the forums, letting us know what was going on, good or bad.

Also, anyone with a Southpark avatar has to be cool. Shame it isn't Timmy, though.  

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2003, 05:14:57 am »
I totaly agree, its not as if we expect them to be at our beck and call is it? Its only 5-10 mins a week updating us, which I for one appreciate. Some games developers dont communicate at all well with there fans or customers, this annoys me greatly when it happens.

Respect - given  

James Bond

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2003, 06:13:57 am »
Quote:

I understand. This is why I asked the question to Dan for his comment (if any) about it. There have been situations where a rumor was the truth.  

Yeah and the only reason the Armada got a 1.2patch was because it was announced that Mad Doc Software where making an Armada 2, if it weren't for that I doubt that Armada would've gotten another patch.

Personally I think it would've taken about 20 patches to fix all the bugs that Armada had but that's just me

An Armada 2 was even worse  

Aliasalpha

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2003, 07:27:44 am »
Kind of a shame that none of the patches fixed the underlying problem of Armada being pretty crap. Still, great fun to mod, figuring out the multi-targetting phasers & Borg assimilation beams was my proudest achievement mod wise.

Subspace

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2003, 08:40:10 am »
my birthday on the 9th     hint    cough (patch) cough ... Ill be an old man !!    LOL

take your time guys,,

When the patch comes out I got BLUNTS for every1 !!!!

DarkMaster

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2003, 10:13:20 am »
What bothers me is that when he was asked whether this would be the first and ONLY patch, he said he wouldnt want to comment at this time.

That to me is not an answer that bodes well.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2003, 11:05:57 am »
To: Dan Haggerty

Subject: The awesomeness of your bad-ass self.

Dear Dan,

I was delighted to read on the Taldren forums that you will be making an effort to update the SFC community about "the Activision side of things" on a regular basis. The Starfleet Command community as you know has been around for quite a while, and is an invaluable source of information on the state of your product. To keep us "in the loop" as we used to say in the US Army, is a wise and endearing decision on the part of yourself. I, as well as my comrades here at the Taldren forum, realize that you will likely be doing this on your own, and possibly on your own time. On behalf of the entire grateful Starfleet Command community, I would like to sincerely thank you for your personal effort to support the community. I have been a member of the community and active on the Taldren forums for many years now, and I can tell you that the SFC community feels like a family of sorts. When other game communities have eventually died out, SFC has continued to flourish for the good of all it's members, and the general gaming public. We welcomed you into our family, and I'm sure that I speak for the majority when I say "Live long, Dan Haggerty, and prosper."

bath Daqawlu'taH

Captain KoraH

Cruis.In

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2003, 11:14:36 am »
Quote:

Everyone rags on the patch and it is taking too long ect...ect... Then the allmighty Dan posts a reply and everone is all smiles and buddy buddy. I want to be in activisions Q&A, just sit on my butt and play a flawed game all day and get paid for it! Just kidding! Its so nice that Dan keeps us informed. Kudos!!!

actually i think that all anyone most wanted to know was what was going on...they like the game and its frustrating to have to work with the bugs. if no one cared about the patch it would be worse, that mean no one cared about the game enough.