Topic: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?  (Read 20343 times)

DarkMaster

Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:26:52 pm »
We know you guys have had the patch for over a week now...why hasn't it been released?

We know you guys read these forums and will see this.  We've waited long enough.  I think I've sat with a half-playable game for long enough.   Please release the patch, or tell us what the delay is.

jkbond

Re: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 02:32:48 pm »
I am really hoping the patch is released. If and when it is released there will be hundreds of grateful players  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 03:18:18 pm »
Taking the patch from Taldren and siting on it or working on it or whatever, but not telling anyone anything about why or what you're doing is a real big PR mistake. Imagine all the people who bought this game who know nothing about this forum, who are all going... "WTF is with this broke ass game?" and will never buy another SFC game, and possibly another Activision game.

Activision: Don't drive people away from your business to go play on X-Box...

TELL US SOMETHING!

Captain KoraH

ChamadaIV

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 04:17:56 pm »
You'd be amazed at how much evil influence has hung over the game industry since the arrival of X-Box. Activision may be one of Microsoft's latest victims in this rat race we call "big business." Or maybe X-Box has nothing to do with it and the world's first independent gaming company (Activison) has more important business priorities to handle...  

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ChamadaIV »

David Ferrell

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 04:20:04 pm »
No one is sitting on the patch.  It is currently winding it's way through Activision QA.

Thanks,

Dave  

cherokee158

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »
What, exactly, goes on in Activision's QA, anyway? I am alternately plagued by visions of guys in suits eating donuts and spinning a bottle on a large oak conference table in an effort to determine who will sign off on the patch and visions of black t-shirted geeks on an LAN playing the new game with absolutely no idea what day of the week it is or, indeed, even which month.

Am I close?  

Hale

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 04:39:26 pm »
Cut the QA guys at Activision some slack.  If they miss something, or if something that currently works is broken,  we will be the first ones complaining here about how crappy the patch is.  If it takes them an extra week to get it right, so be it.  

Arcilte

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 04:46:28 pm »
Quote:

Cut the QA guys at Activision some slack.  If they miss something, or if something that currently works is broken,  we will be the first ones complaining here about how crappy the patch is.  If it takes them an extra week to get it right, so be it.    

This is true... but we have all seen the Read Me for the patch and it is not much different then the Beta Patch we saw a while back. Just makes you wonder what they are doing with it. (Hmmm.... now I'll think about it)  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 05:18:07 pm »
Quote:

No one is sitting on the patch.  It is currently winding it's way through Activision QA.

Thanks,

Dave  

At a minimum, this means they are playing through all single-player missions. I imagine they need to check if the changes (i.e. AI using AV when firing) don't break the missions by making something too hard or too easy, etc.

As someone who bought SFC3 at Best Buy to get the Borg campaign only to find it can't be completed, I'm glad they are doing this.

Take your time and get it right.

Oh, and hurry up already! I want the patch!

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 05:28:00 pm »
Hey Guys, as David and others have mentioned, this patch (actually it's three patches - for US, UK and German versions) is in the final stages of Activision QA.

And the short answer to "why is it taking so long" boils down to the fact that, in order to insure that this patch fixes everything we say it does, and doesn't break anything new, we need to test every aspect of the game - single player and multiplayer skirmish, SP campaigns, tutorials, SP conquest and, of course, the D3.  We also need to do this for the US regular, US Best Buy, German and UK versions of the game.

Fortunately, I can report that testing is going very well.  We are looking to release all three patches shortly, possibly within the week, and assuming we don't find anything new.

I apologize for the delay.  Your patience will soon be rewarded.  

ghostcamel

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 06:12:15 pm »
Quote:

Hey Guys, as David and others have mentioned, this patch (actually it's three patches - for US, UK and German versions) is in the final stages of Activision QA.

And the short answer to "why is it taking so long" boils down to the fact that, in order to insure that this patch fixes everything we say it does, and doesn't break anything new, we need to test every aspect of the game - single player and multiplayer skirmish, SP campaigns, tutorials, SP conquest and, of course, the D3.  We also need to do this for the US regular, US Best Buy, German and UK versions of the game.

Fortunately, I can report that testing is going very well.  We are looking to release all three patches shortly, possibly within the week, and assuming we don't find anything new.

NP Dan. AI was always of the opinion that QC should get ALL the time they need to check everything.

Not everyone feels that the patch shouldve been here yesterday. I can wait, as long as i get rewarded  

Hope the balance fixes are sufficient and appropriate.

Maybe better optimized netcode....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ghostcamel »

Cruis.In

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 06:21:52 pm »
Dan,

has sfc3 been doing well in the market sales wise?

Tulmahk

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 07:03:13 pm »
And people have already been complaining about the patch based only on the ReadMe.

I think Activision and Taldren have been doing an excellent job here.  Remember the parade of patches for SFC2, many of which broke previously working things?  I think they're hoping to avoid that this time around.

I'm very willing to wait.  I don't want it now, I want it good.

Though weekly status reports being posted here wouldn't be a bad idea.  It might aleviate some of the impatience.  

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2003, 07:19:33 pm »
Quote:

It has been doing as well as we expected it would.  It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

Quote:

Though weekly status reports being posted here wouldn't be a bad idea.  It might aleviate some of the impatience.  

Duly noted.  I'll try to be better about popping in here to keep folks up on the Activision side of things.  

SirWilliam

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 07:21:05 pm »
Quote:

Duly noted.  I'll try to be better about popping in here to keep folks up on the Activision side of things.  

Huzzah!  

Vortox

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2003, 01:51:28 pm »
Thx Dan...that sure is good to know. Beting on all of SFC gamers, the excitement of getting the patch making the game even better is killing us. HA HA HA HA. So status report sure will be a good help.  

Cruis.In

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2003, 02:51:02 pm »
dont make promises you can't keep Dan.

are you a star trek fan Dan?

im glad it's not doing bad, you think in your opinion if you were running activision based on sfc3 sales numbers you would do a sequel? your opinion of course.

Subspace

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2003, 03:09:02 pm »
man its nice to here something about it ..... & also im gald SFC3 is selling within the numbers you hoped  

AdmiralRaimark

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2003, 03:13:52 pm »
Quote:

And people have already been complaining about the patch based only on the ReadMe.

I think Activision and Taldren have been doing an excellent job here.  Remember the parade of patches for SFC2, many of which broke previously working things?  I think they're hoping to avoid that this time around.

Aye, I suddenly remember getting a patch from KhoroMag and suddenly losing the ability to complete the Graveyard of Souls campaign match   or, as I said at the time, "A battleship with 50 spare parts is nice, but I sit here no freighters picking anyone up, and apparently, MY transporters aren't up to the job"  Very strange, if the BSG can lead a rag tag fugitive fleet, I think a FedBB can pick up a few stray school kids.  Luckily, there was much rejoicing using the old .SCR.

Yes, please, take whatever time is needed; although I do admit chomping at the bit-ish.  

Also, it seems that with the Nemesis add-on, there's a precedent for creating full-scale addons that don't require separate installations (even though OP was a great release).  That's something that's on my wish list.  Heck, I'd even be willing to contribute story material ('cuz I cant program worth a lick!).

My 2 credits,

GM

Koloth

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 03:49:43 pm »
Quote:

It has been rumored that this patch will be the first and last patch for SFC3. Would you care to comment on that?

Aenigma

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2003, 03:58:06 pm »
If it really were the last patch we would be extremely angry. The same thing happened with Armada 1 though, only got a 1.1 and 1.2 patch and that was just it. But i think the SFC community is a little bit more vocal, so i don't expect just two patches. Just don't believe 'rumors', they are false until they come true.  

Koloth

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2003, 04:01:20 pm »
I understand. This is why I asked the question to Dan for his comment (if any) about it. There have been situations where a rumor was the truth.

TheJudge

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2003, 04:31:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

It has been doing as well as we expected it would.  It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

that's good to hear..I bought two..one for me and one for my cousin.  

LtHawk

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2003, 08:58:46 pm »
Quote:

Lol , I LOVE IT!!!

Everyone rags on the patch and it is taking too long ect...ect... Then the allmighty Dan  posts a reply and everone is all smiles and buddy buddy. I want to be in activisions Q&A, just sit on my butt and play a flawed game all day and get paid for it! Just kidding! Its so nice that Dan keeps us informed. Kudos!!!  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2003, 09:46:07 pm »

Quote:

It has been doing as well as we expected it would. It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

Sooooo Dan (and others in the know), does that mean you guys will (GAW) do an SFC3 expansion?  You said you'd know by January.  If you can't (GAW) answer this directly how about a "loaded" hint?

Second, how about the (GAW) prospects for SFC4 based on the sales figures of SFC3?  Are you going to call up Harry, and Erik for (GAW) a 300,000 sales strategy sitdown?  I'd be glad to (GAW) attend cause I happen to (GAW) have a few (GAW) ideas myself.

I know this might be nosey and I don't (GAW) expect direct answers, but it would be nice to hear you're thoughts even if they are (GAW) evasive....pretty please?      

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2003, 11:07:57 pm »
Quote:

Yeah, for the most part.

Quote:

in your opinion if you were running activision based on sfc3 sales numbers you would do a sequel? your opinion of course.

In my honest opinion, it is far too early to tell whether sales warrant an expansion or sequel.

Quote:

It has been rumored that this patch will be the first and last patch for SFC3. Would you care to comment on that?

Not at this time.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One thing I don't remember mention in here is that the patch, for all three versions, will contain the Borg mini-campaign that was, until now, a retail exclusive for Best Buy.  We are releasing those missions with the patch.

Thought you'd want to know.  

ChamadaIV

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2003, 11:44:23 pm »
Quote:

One thing I don't remember mention in here is that the patch, for all three versions, will contain the Borg mini-campaign that was, until now, a retail exclusive for Best Buy.  We are releasing those missions with the patch.

Well, that's good. Now everyone else who didn't buy sfc3 best buy version can enjoy those missions as well (in proper post-patch working order that is). The mini-campaign isn't much, but fun in its own right for those of you who like Star Trek's greatest villain race. Sorry Romulans, you guys never had the  cojones  to invade sector 001 like the Borg did...  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2003, 11:47:20 pm »
Thank you (GAW) for the comments Dan.  

Maxillius

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2003, 12:19:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's good. Now everyone else who didn't buy sfc3 best buy version can enjoy those missions as well (in proper post-patch working order that is). The mini-campaign isn't much, but fun in its own right for those of you who like Star Trek's greatest villain race. Sorry Romulans, you guys never had the  cojones  to invade sector 001 like the Borg did...  

Yeeessss we did, we just did it waaay too early and made asses of ourselves doing it. Anyone remember the Battle of Cheron (Pluto's moon)?

Alexander1701

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2003, 12:46:52 am »
  Not to mention, of course the SPOILER plan of Shinzon (spelling?) in Nemesis to SPOILER destroy earth's population.

Alexander

ChamadaIV

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2003, 12:48:22 am »
Quote:

Yeeessss we did, we just did it waaay too early and made asses of ourselves doing it. Anyone remember the Battle of Cheron (Pluto's moon)?  

Bah! says I. You Roms have never even come close to the ballsy devestation the Borg inflicted on the (at that time) haughty and arrogant Federation. Wolf 359 anyone?

"But enough of this foolish game my arch-nemesis!" (cliche from the bible of villainy) We shall spar another day on this, in another forum... (evil grin with wicked sneer   )    

Nameless

Size
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2003, 12:56:30 am »
hey what u guys up there recon the est size for the patch will be?  

Credo Narth

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2003, 03:40:17 am »
Well, I'll have to eat humble pie and apologise to Dan for all the things I said about him. If Dan's going to be brave enough to post here week in, week out, good or bad news, then respect is due. Heck, it'll be like old times when Erik and Dave themselves would prowl the forums, letting us know what was going on, good or bad.

Also, anyone with a Southpark avatar has to be cool. Shame it isn't Timmy, though.  

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2003, 05:14:57 am »
I totaly agree, its not as if we expect them to be at our beck and call is it? Its only 5-10 mins a week updating us, which I for one appreciate. Some games developers dont communicate at all well with there fans or customers, this annoys me greatly when it happens.

Respect - given  

James Bond

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2003, 06:13:57 am »
Quote:

I understand. This is why I asked the question to Dan for his comment (if any) about it. There have been situations where a rumor was the truth.  

Yeah and the only reason the Armada got a 1.2patch was because it was announced that Mad Doc Software where making an Armada 2, if it weren't for that I doubt that Armada would've gotten another patch.

Personally I think it would've taken about 20 patches to fix all the bugs that Armada had but that's just me

An Armada 2 was even worse  

Aliasalpha

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2003, 07:27:44 am »
Kind of a shame that none of the patches fixed the underlying problem of Armada being pretty crap. Still, great fun to mod, figuring out the multi-targetting phasers & Borg assimilation beams was my proudest achievement mod wise.

Subspace

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2003, 08:40:10 am »
my birthday on the 9th     hint    cough (patch) cough ... Ill be an old man !!    LOL

take your time guys,,

When the patch comes out I got BLUNTS for every1 !!!!

DarkMaster

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2003, 10:13:20 am »
What bothers me is that when he was asked whether this would be the first and ONLY patch, he said he wouldnt want to comment at this time.

That to me is not an answer that bodes well.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2003, 11:05:57 am »
To: Dan Haggerty

Subject: The awesomeness of your bad-ass self.

Dear Dan,

I was delighted to read on the Taldren forums that you will be making an effort to update the SFC community about "the Activision side of things" on a regular basis. The Starfleet Command community as you know has been around for quite a while, and is an invaluable source of information on the state of your product. To keep us "in the loop" as we used to say in the US Army, is a wise and endearing decision on the part of yourself. I, as well as my comrades here at the Taldren forum, realize that you will likely be doing this on your own, and possibly on your own time. On behalf of the entire grateful Starfleet Command community, I would like to sincerely thank you for your personal effort to support the community. I have been a member of the community and active on the Taldren forums for many years now, and I can tell you that the SFC community feels like a family of sorts. When other game communities have eventually died out, SFC has continued to flourish for the good of all it's members, and the general gaming public. We welcomed you into our family, and I'm sure that I speak for the majority when I say "Live long, Dan Haggerty, and prosper."

bath Daqawlu'taH

Captain KoraH

Cruis.In

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2003, 11:14:36 am »
Quote:

Everyone rags on the patch and it is taking too long ect...ect... Then the allmighty Dan posts a reply and everone is all smiles and buddy buddy. I want to be in activisions Q&A, just sit on my butt and play a flawed game all day and get paid for it! Just kidding! Its so nice that Dan keeps us informed. Kudos!!!

actually i think that all anyone most wanted to know was what was going on...they like the game and its frustrating to have to work with the bugs. if no one cared about the patch it would be worse, that mean no one cared about the game enough.

EE

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2003, 11:18:47 am »
Thanks for the info Dan. I know I get grumpy sometimes and lose some patience when waiting for a patch but when you, Erik, David etc give us info it makes the wait a ton easier. Any new and revised date on when the patch may be out? My net connection could go ANY minute and I would really love to get just a bit of online play in.

DarkMaster

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2003, 07:12:56 pm »
Ok...this is getting ridiculous now.  Dan, Harry--the US version is supposedly done with QA--why the hell should we have to wait for the foreign versions?'

Enough is enough--by holding up the US patch to wait for the foreign ones, you guys ARE sitting on the patch, whether you want to call it that or not.

I and all the other US players who want a playable game shouldnt have to wait for the foreign versions QA to be done--at this point we've waited far more than we should have already.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2003, 07:33:25 pm »
Did I miss them saying a US version was done with QA?  I know Taldren said they sent it to ATVI, but they are the ones doing the QA so....  Also, I was under the impression that there was just going to be one patch for all versions.  Thus, fixes for all three versions must be tested before the singular patch could be released.  This is actually a decent move, imho, since you only have to host one patch and there is no confusion on the part of people with different versions.  One patch to download, and it's the same one for everyone.  

DarkMaster

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2003, 07:37:36 pm »
I believe Dave stated the other day that he thought the US version was thru QA, and that the other versions were working their way thru QA.  That seems like a fairly knowledgeable source

Pestalence

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2003, 07:38:19 pm »
Quote:

Ok...this is getting ridiculous now.  Dan, Harry--the US version is supposedly done with QA--why the hell should we have to wait for the foreign versions?'

Enough is enough--by holding up the US patch to wait for the foreign ones, you guys ARE sitting on the patch, whether you want to call it that or not.

I and all the other US players who want a playable game shouldnt have to wait for the foreign versions QA to be done--at this point we've waited far more than we should have already.  

Yet at the same time, Activision could just say "Get Stuffed, there is no patch".

Dan is being kind enought to let everyone know what the hold up is and that it is being worked on....

Several people are fustrated because of the delays, however, do you want a good patch, or a flawed patch?

DarkMaster

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2003, 07:49:27 pm »
You miss the point--according to Dave, the US version is THRU QA--they're holding it up until the foreign versions are done.  That is what I object to at this point--I think we ALL have been more then patient.

Pestalence

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2003, 07:55:49 pm »
As EmeraldEdge stated and i have to concur that i too thought that there is going to be only 1 large patch to cover all game versions, not several patches...

if this is true, then there is no discussion about US version, UK version or any version as considering that the idea of a single patch for ALL versions is being made, then any versions that have been already tested are on hold so that they can be compiled into the 1 single patch so that in fairness to everyone playing SFC 3, everyone gets the same patch at the same time...

this makes perfect sense if it is true....  and that is an even better explanation of why the patch has not been released as of yet.

Toasty0

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2003, 08:08:51 pm »
Quote:

You miss the point--according to Dave, the US version is THRU QA--they're holding it up until the foreign versions are done.  That is what I object to at this point--I think we ALL have been more then patient.  

Objection noted and approperiately filed.

Have a nice day.

Best,
Jerry

David Ferrell

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2003, 08:24:17 pm »
Quote:

Why in almost all things do you have to be a pain?

Honestly, your attitude on these boards is less than stellar. Do you ever have anything positive to say,
or is the glass always half-empty for you?  You are constantly complaining for this or that, be happy with
what you have, and stop worrying that waiting till QA is done with all the patches, is somehow cheating you.

Good day,

Dave

Edited for language.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 12:26:49 pm by David Ferrell »

HuckFinn

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2003, 08:47:31 pm »
oooh I love it!
It's a game everyone. Read a book or something til the patch comes out. If your so unhappy with the product, return it. If you can't return it, then just walk away and never buy another activision and/ or taldren product again. If you can't afford to learn a fifty dollar lesson, you shouldn't be spending fifty dollars on a GAME. Personally, I think it's fun.  

Galaxy_Class

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2003, 09:15:48 pm »
Quote:

oooh I love it!
It's a game everyone. Read a book or something til the patch comes out. If your so unhappy with the product, return it. If you can't return it, then just walk away and never buy another activision and/ or taldren product again. If you can't afford to learn a fifty dollar lesson, you shouldn't be spending fifty dollars on a GAME. Personally, I think it's fun.  

The new guy said it best.

DarkMaster

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2003, 09:18:13 pm »
Maybe I have a negative attitude about this because we've been waiting almost three months for a patch to make this game PLAYABLE in singleplayer.

Maybe I, and people like me, have a negative attitude because this is the FOURTH STRAIGHT title from Taldren (SFC 1, SFC 2, OP, SFC 3) which has shipped with GAMEKILLING bugs out of the box.

No one these days expects perfection in a new game.  I certainly don't.  What I do expect, at a minimum, is to be able to PLAY the game.  When a game ships with gamekilling bugs, and it's taken almost three months now, with no patch, you shouldnt get an attitude when people get pissed off about it.

You want me, and other people, to have better attitudes?  Release the games in a better state.

Subspace

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2003, 09:23:52 pm »
 the patch is on the way ,,, they told us by maybe the 14th  maybe  so it will come ,,, I dont blame them I would prob wait till i had them all ready myself ...    

Thank you to all that try & keep us up to date  

Toasty0

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2003, 06:11:13 am »
It's February! How else do you expect them to keep it warm? Sitting on it is as good a method as any, imho.

::exit, stage right::  

Aliasalpha

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2003, 07:37:31 am »
Quote:

Maybe I have a negative attitude about this because we've been waiting almost three months for a patch to make this game PLAYABLE in singleplayer.

Am I the only person who completed the entire game without a problem?

The day I got it I came home, installed it & got pissed off because I had installed DX9 & the game didn't detect it. It annoyed the crap out of me but then I found the patch & thought "Oh, cool."

My advice is thus:

1) Chant a calming mantra, I suggest "Calm Blue Ocean"
2) Calm down for f*cks sake, it's only a GAME  

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2003, 08:01:07 am »
It would be crazy to release the patch which is only tested on one version or a patch for one version without releasing them for makign sure everyone else can play. Simply put, if they released the patch for the US version and everyone updated there servers, I wouldnt be able to play at all and as such would be rather annoyed.

Similary, if people didnt update, you guys wouldnt be able to play. In a situation like this, you have to think about everyone involved, although most here (I assume) are Americans so this probably schews a few oppinions.

I say patches for all!

P.S. Did any of you Taldren guys read my thread about stopping people not engaging but staying in game? I figure if you release another patch, if you would be so kind  

matyoung

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2003, 12:12:43 pm »
Had to laugh at daves post (prick lol) but i like many ppl have a thing called patients!  

David Ferrell

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2003, 12:13:22 pm »
Quote:

Maybe I, and people like me, have a negative attitude because this is the FOURTH STRAIGHT title from Taldren (SFC 1, SFC 2, OP, SFC 3) which has shipped with GAMEKILLING bugs out of the box.

No one these days expects perfection in a new game.  I certainly don't.  What I do expect, at a minimum, is to be able to PLAY the game.  When a game ships with gamekilling bugs, and it's taken almost three months now, with no patch, you shouldnt get an attitude when people get pissed off about it.

You want me, and other people, to have better attitudes?  Release the games in a better state.  

Your assertions above are factually incorrect.

If you wish to continue posting on these forums, I would suggest you work on your attitude in your
posts.

Dave  

David Ferrell

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2003, 12:25:24 pm »
For my part, I apologize for my coarse language.

Looks at calendar, yep I'm way overdue for a vacation!

Thanks,

Dave  

Bob Graham

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2003, 12:30:53 pm »
Quote:

Not true!  I beat both the single player campaigns for SFC1 and 3 without patches or problems.  I never even attempted the campaign for 2 untill a few months ago, and havent messed with OP.

Second, where was Activisions vaulted QA process BEFORE the game was released???

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2003, 12:43:07 pm »
It wouldnt surprise me if, like most software companies, Activision cut several of their QA people to save money.  I have been playing EA sports NCAA Football 2003, and while EA has been a bit lacking in the Customer Service department before, I rarely have ever noticed any serious bugs in either their PC or their console games, but the game has a number of bugs, a couple of which could have been spotted if someone had tried. (one i dont think would have been caught but who would expect a fumble returned for a TD being called back for a 5-yd facemask (gave me the TD but gave them the PAT attempt, so that game ended with a final of 48-1))

Just give them time, and thank the powers that be that we are on a PC and not an unpatchable console.

Oh yeah, i also cruised through the SP campaigns, and only encountered one major bug, and all that I needed to do was reload from the saved game and play the mission again to get around it.  I have seen the stuck in loading bug, but I upgraded to DX9, and I havent seen it since.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lieutenant_Q »

Toasty0

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2003, 12:50:32 pm »
Quote:

Had to laugh at daves post (prick lol) but i like many ppl have a thing called patients!  

Huh, did I miss something? Did Dave finally pop a cork? OMG, he is human afterall.    

matyoung

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2003, 11:11:38 am »
Hey we,re only human (last time i looked )  

TheSatyr

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2003, 12:48:43 pm »
Dave is just acting like an actual human being. *laffin*  

DarkMaster

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2003, 03:05:03 pm »
Contrary to what you may believe, I do have patience also.  I just happen to think that in this case it is legitimate to feel that this process is taking WAY too long.

It just seems to me that patches for Taldren's games take MUCH longer than patches for games produced by some other *COUGH**BLIZZARD**COUGH** companies' games.

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2003, 03:07:44 pm »
How many times does it need to be said Taldren finished the patch but as the game is published by someone else it has to go through them basicaly for legal reasons. I beleive I already said thanks for finishing the patch, hurry the hell up Activision! lol

NCC2012

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2003, 04:02:26 pm »
Quote:

People have patients?? Good lord!  I didn't think everyone here was a physician!  

Quote:

The SFC3 patch is winding it's way through Activision QA and is now looking like it
will be released during the week of 24 February 2003.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you for the update, Dave!  

Sniper

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2003, 04:07:26 pm »
Doesn't it go back and forth? I think I read somewhere that activision Q&A's it and if they find something wrong they send it to Taldren to fix it, than they fix it and send it to activision again and if activision finds a new bug then it goes back again and .... you get the picture, not a very efficient way to work but thorough

Bob Graham

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2003, 12:04:35 am »
Quote:

Contrary to what you may believe, I do have patience also.  I just happen to think that in this case it is legitimate to feel that this process is taking WAY too long.

It just seems to me that patches for Taldren's games take MUCH longer than patches for games produced by some other *COUGH**BLIZZARD**COUGH** companies' games.  

If your using Windows XP, open up your Add/Remove Programs, then compare the MB that SFC3 uses compared to your other games.  That could be part of the reason it takes longer.  

If thats not enough for you, I dont remember the exact quote or who at Taldren said it, but it was something to the effect that SFCs source code was HUGE.  One of them commented that when iD released the Quake II code, he looked at it and said "Thats all?"

Mavolic

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2003, 09:14:13 pm »
Quote:

Ummm..how long has  Blizzard been working on the 1.10 patch for Diablo II ?.....*cough* A YEAR  *cough*

« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 09:16:01 pm by Mavolic »

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2003, 11:50:08 pm »
ya.. and how many people do they have on the 1.10 patch team?
2 lol
only 2...
you should be thankfull that taldren has devoted a great deal of its resources on the patch, and not on black 9.

I question though... whould it really be that impossible for Taldren to develop/release its own game without activisions help?  

Mavolic

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2003, 04:18:32 am »
Quote:

2 lol
only 2...
you should be thankfull that taldren has devoted a great deal of its resources on the patch, and not on black 9.    

They have two? I thought they were down to one person working on the 1.10 patch..hehe

Don't mind me, just getting my 200 post in...

Lemme see...

25 months as a registered member...

200 posts...

That adds up to nice even 8 posts a month...

Woo Hoo!...  I'm so uber...

kevlar

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2003, 07:40:03 am »
That is a bit  unfair... Diablo is a "old " game..  they made a patch two days after LOD was out,  one month and a half later they made a second patch for lod.. and 3 months after that another one. in six months they patched it out at least 3 times -and one of those patches added considerable content (1.09), not counting several server fixes.
Altough they haven't spit the now mythical 1.10 ( and I believe they never will), blizzard still  beat activision by far when it comes to patching speed and number.

And, IMHO,  blizzard products still set the standard in terms of game stopping bugs . They can be hacked and unbalanced, but still I think i never had more than 25 crashes in 2.5 years playing online diablo. (and maybe only 2 or 3 while playing offline) and I never ever found a real  game stoping bug on that tittle.  

DarkMaster

Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2003, 02:26:52 pm »
We know you guys have had the patch for over a week now...why hasn't it been released?

We know you guys read these forums and will see this.  We've waited long enough.  I think I've sat with a half-playable game for long enough.   Please release the patch, or tell us what the delay is.

jkbond

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2003, 02:32:48 pm »
I am really hoping the patch is released. If and when it is released there will be hundreds of grateful players  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2003, 03:18:18 pm »
Taking the patch from Taldren and siting on it or working on it or whatever, but not telling anyone anything about why or what you're doing is a real big PR mistake. Imagine all the people who bought this game who know nothing about this forum, who are all going... "WTF is with this broke ass game?" and will never buy another SFC game, and possibly another Activision game.

Activision: Don't drive people away from your business to go play on X-Box...

TELL US SOMETHING!

Captain KoraH

ChamadaIV

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2003, 04:17:56 pm »
You'd be amazed at how much evil influence has hung over the game industry since the arrival of X-Box. Activision may be one of Microsoft's latest victims in this rat race we call "big business." Or maybe X-Box has nothing to do with it and the world's first independent gaming company (Activison) has more important business priorities to handle...  

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ChamadaIV »

David Ferrell

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2003, 04:20:04 pm »

Thanks,

Dave  

cherokee158

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »
What, exactly, goes on in Activision's QA, anyway? I am alternately plagued by visions of guys in suits eating donuts and spinning a bottle on a large oak conference table in an effort to determine who will sign off on the patch and visions of black t-shirted geeks on an LAN playing the new game with absolutely no idea what day of the week it is or, indeed, even which month.

Am I close?  

Hale

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2003, 04:39:26 pm »

Arcilte

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2003, 04:46:28 pm »
Quote:

This is true... but we have all seen the Read Me for the patch and it is not much different then the Beta Patch we saw a while back. Just makes you wonder what they are doing with it. (Hmmm.... now I'll think about it)  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2003, 05:18:07 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave  

At a minimum, this means they are playing through all single-player missions. I imagine they need to check if the changes (i.e. AI using AV when firing) don't break the missions by making something too hard or too easy, etc.

As someone who bought SFC3 at Best Buy to get the Borg campaign only to find it can't be completed, I'm glad they are doing this.

Take your time and get it right.

Oh, and hurry up already! I want the patch!

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2003, 05:28:00 pm »

ghostcamel

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2003, 06:12:15 pm »
Quote:

NP Dan. AI was always of the opinion that QC should get ALL the time they need to check everything.

Not everyone feels that the patch shouldve been here yesterday. I can wait, as long as i get rewarded  

Hope the balance fixes are sufficient and appropriate.

Maybe better optimized netcode....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ghostcamel »

Cruis.In

« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2003, 06:21:52 pm »
Dan,

Tulmahk

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2003, 07:03:13 pm »

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2003, 07:19:33 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

SirWilliam

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2003, 07:21:05 pm »
Quote:

Huzzah!  

Vortox

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2003, 01:51:28 pm »
Thx Dan...that sure is good to know. Beting on all of SFC gamers, the excitement of getting the patch making the game even better is killing us. HA HA HA HA. So status report sure will be a good help.  

Cruis.In

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2003, 02:51:02 pm »
dont make promises you can't keep Dan.

im glad it's not doing bad, you think in your opinion if you were running activision based on sfc3 sales numbers you would do a sequel? your opinion of course.

Subspace

« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2003, 03:09:02 pm »
man its nice to here something about it ..... & also im gald SFC3 is selling within the numbers you hoped  

AdmiralRaimark

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2003, 03:13:52 pm »
Quote:

Aye, I suddenly remember getting a patch from KhoroMag and suddenly losing the ability to complete the Graveyard of Souls campaign match   or, as I said at the time, "A battleship with 50 spare parts is nice, but I sit here no freighters picking anyone up, and apparently, MY transporters aren't up to the job"  Very strange, if the BSG can lead a rag tag fugitive fleet, I think a FedBB can pick up a few stray school kids.  Luckily, there was much rejoicing using the old .SCR.

Yes, please, take whatever time is needed; although I do admit chomping at the bit-ish.  

Also, it seems that with the Nemesis add-on, there's a precedent for creating full-scale addons that don't require separate installations (even though OP was a great release).  That's something that's on my wish list.  Heck, I'd even be willing to contribute story material ('cuz I cant program worth a lick!).

My 2 credits,

GM

Koloth

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2003, 03:49:43 pm »
Quote:

Aenigma

« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2003, 03:58:06 pm »
If it really were the last patch we would be extremely angry. The same thing happened with Armada 1 though, only got a 1.1 and 1.2 patch and that was just it. But i think the SFC community is a little bit more vocal, so i don't expect just two patches. Just don't believe 'rumors', they are false until they come true.  

Koloth

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2003, 04:01:20 pm »

TheJudge

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2003, 04:31:46 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

that's good to hear..I bought two..one for me and one for my cousin.  

LtHawk

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2003, 08:58:46 pm »
Quote:

Lol , I LOVE IT!!!

Everyone rags on the patch and it is taking too long ect...ect... Then the allmighty Dan  posts a reply and everone is all smiles and buddy buddy. I want to be in activisions Q&A, just sit on my butt and play a flawed game all day and get paid for it! Just kidding! Its so nice that Dan keeps us informed. Kudos!!!  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2003, 09:46:07 pm »

Quote:

It has been doing as well as we expected it would. It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

Sooooo Dan (and others in the know), does that mean you guys will (GAW) do an SFC3 expansion?  You said you'd know by January.  If you can't (GAW) answer this directly how about a "loaded" hint?

Second, how about the (GAW) prospects for SFC4 based on the sales figures of SFC3?  Are you going to call up Harry, and Erik for (GAW) a 300,000 sales strategy sitdown?  I'd be glad to (GAW) attend cause I happen to (GAW) have a few (GAW) ideas myself.

I know this might be nosey and I don't (GAW) expect direct answers, but it would be nice to hear you're thoughts even if they are (GAW) evasive....pretty please?      

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2003, 11:07:57 pm »
Quote:

Yeah, for the most part.

Quote:

in your opinion if you were running activision based on sfc3 sales numbers you would do a sequel? your opinion of course.

In my honest opinion, it is far too early to tell whether sales warrant an expansion or sequel.

Quote:

Not at this time.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thought you'd want to know.  

ChamadaIV

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2003, 11:44:23 pm »
Quote:

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2003, 11:47:20 pm »
Thank you (GAW) for the comments Dan.  

Maxillius

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2003, 12:19:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Alexander1701

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2003, 12:46:52 am »
  Not to mention, of course the SPOILER plan of Shinzon (spelling?) in Nemesis to SPOILER destroy earth's population.

Alexander

ChamadaIV

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2003, 12:48:22 am »
Quote:

Bah! says I. You Roms have never even come close to the ballsy devestation the Borg inflicted on the (at that time) haughty and arrogant Federation. Wolf 359 anyone?

"But enough of this foolish game my arch-nemesis!" (cliche from the bible of villainy) We shall spar another day on this, in another forum... (evil grin with wicked sneer   )    

Nameless

Size
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2003, 12:56:30 am »
hey what u guys up there recon the est size for the patch will be?  

Credo Narth

« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2003, 03:40:17 am »
Well, I'll have to eat humble pie and apologise to Dan for all the things I said about him. If Dan's going to be brave enough to post here week in, week out, good or bad news, then respect is due. Heck, it'll be like old times when Erik and Dave themselves would prowl the forums, letting us know what was going on, good or bad.

Also, anyone with a Southpark avatar has to be cool. Shame it isn't Timmy, though.  

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2003, 05:14:57 am »
I totaly agree, its not as if we expect them to be at our beck and call is it? Its only 5-10 mins a week updating us, which I for one appreciate. Some games developers dont communicate at all well with there fans or customers, this annoys me greatly when it happens.

Respect - given  

James Bond

« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2003, 06:13:57 am »
Quote:

Yeah and the only reason the Armada got a 1.2patch was because it was announced that Mad Doc Software where making an Armada 2, if it weren't for that I doubt that Armada would've gotten another patch.

Personally I think it would've taken about 20 patches to fix all the bugs that Armada had but that's just me

An Armada 2 was even worse  

Aliasalpha

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2003, 07:27:44 am »
Kind of a shame that none of the patches fixed the underlying problem of Armada being pretty crap. Still, great fun to mod, figuring out the multi-targetting phasers & Borg assimilation beams was my proudest achievement mod wise.

Subspace

« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2003, 08:40:10 am »
my birthday on the 9th     hint    cough (patch) cough ... Ill be an old man !!    LOL

take your time guys,,

When the patch comes out I got BLUNTS for every1 !!!!

DarkMaster

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2003, 10:13:20 am »
What bothers me is that when he was asked whether this would be the first and ONLY patch, he said he wouldnt want to comment at this time.

That to me is not an answer that bodes well.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2003, 11:05:57 am »
To: Dan Haggerty

Subject: The awesomeness of your bad-ass self.

Dear Dan,

I was delighted to read on the Taldren forums that you will be making an effort to update the SFC community about "the Activision side of things" on a regular basis. The Starfleet Command community as you know has been around for quite a while, and is an invaluable source of information on the state of your product. To keep us "in the loop" as we used to say in the US Army, is a wise and endearing decision on the part of yourself. I, as well as my comrades here at the Taldren forum, realize that you will likely be doing this on your own, and possibly on your own time. On behalf of the entire grateful Starfleet Command community, I would like to sincerely thank you for your personal effort to support the community. I have been a member of the community and active on the Taldren forums for many years now, and I can tell you that the SFC community feels like a family of sorts. When other game communities have eventually died out, SFC has continued to flourish for the good of all it's members, and the general gaming public. We welcomed you into our family, and I'm sure that I speak for the majority when I say "Live long, Dan Haggerty, and prosper."

bath Daqawlu'taH

Captain KoraH

Cruis.In

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2003, 11:14:36 am »
Quote:

Everyone rags on the patch and it is taking too long ect...ect... Then the allmighty Dan posts a reply and everone is all smiles and buddy buddy. I want to be in activisions Q&A, just sit on my butt and play a flawed game all day and get paid for it! Just kidding! Its so nice that Dan keeps us informed. Kudos!!!

actually i think that all anyone most wanted to know was what was going on...they like the game and its frustrating to have to work with the bugs. if no one cared about the patch it would be worse, that mean no one cared about the game enough.

EE

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2003, 11:18:47 am »
Thanks for the info Dan. I know I get grumpy sometimes and lose some patience when waiting for a patch but when you, Erik, David etc give us info it makes the wait a ton easier. Any new and revised date on when the patch may be out? My net connection could go ANY minute and I would really love to get just a bit of online play in.

DarkMaster

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2003, 07:12:56 pm »

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2003, 07:33:25 pm »
Did I miss them saying a US version was done with QA?  I know Taldren said they sent it to ATVI, but they are the ones doing the QA so....  Also, I was under the impression that there was just going to be one patch for all versions.  Thus, fixes for all three versions must be tested before the singular patch could be released.  This is actually a decent move, imho, since you only have to host one patch and there is no confusion on the part of people with different versions.  One patch to download, and it's the same one for everyone.  

DarkMaster

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2003, 07:37:36 pm »
I believe Dave stated the other day that he thought the US version was thru QA, and that the other versions were working their way thru QA.  That seems like a fairly knowledgeable source

Pestalence

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2003, 07:38:19 pm »
Quote:

Yet at the same time, Activision could just say "Get Stuffed, there is no patch".

Dan is being kind enought to let everyone know what the hold up is and that it is being worked on....

Several people are fustrated because of the delays, however, do you want a good patch, or a flawed patch?

DarkMaster

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2003, 07:49:27 pm »

Pestalence

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2003, 07:55:49 pm »
As EmeraldEdge stated and i have to concur that i too thought that there is going to be only 1 large patch to cover all game versions, not several patches...

if this is true, then there is no discussion about US version, UK version or any version as considering that the idea of a single patch for ALL versions is being made, then any versions that have been already tested are on hold so that they can be compiled into the 1 single patch so that in fairness to everyone playing SFC 3, everyone gets the same patch at the same time...

this makes perfect sense if it is true....  and that is an even better explanation of why the patch has not been released as of yet.

Toasty0

« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2003, 08:08:51 pm »
Quote:

Objection noted and approperiately filed.

Have a nice day.

Best,
Jerry

David Ferrell

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2003, 08:24:17 pm »
Quote:

Why in almost all things do you have to be a pain?

Honestly, your attitude on these boards is less than stellar. Do you ever have anything positive to say,
or is the glass always half-empty for you?  You are constantly complaining for this or that, be happy with
what you have, and stop worrying that waiting till QA is done with all the patches, is somehow cheating you.

Good day,

Dave

Edited for language.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 12:26:49 pm by David Ferrell »

HuckFinn

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2003, 08:47:31 pm »
oooh I love it!

Galaxy_Class

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2003, 09:15:48 pm »
Quote:

oooh I love it!

The new guy said it best.

DarkMaster

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2003, 09:18:13 pm »

Subspace

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2003, 09:23:52 pm »
 the patch is on the way ,,, they told us by maybe the 14th  maybe  so it will come ,,, I dont blame them I would prob wait till i had them all ready myself ...    

Thank you to all that try & keep us up to date  

Toasty0

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2003, 06:11:13 am »
It's February! How else do you expect them to keep it warm? Sitting on it is as good a method as any, imho.

::exit, stage right::  

Aliasalpha

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2003, 07:37:31 am »
Quote:

Am I the only person who completed the entire game without a problem?

The day I got it I came home, installed it & got pissed off because I had installed DX9 & the game didn't detect it. It annoyed the crap out of me but then I found the patch & thought "Oh, cool."

My advice is thus:

1) Chant a calming mantra, I suggest "Calm Blue Ocean"
2) Calm down for f*cks sake, it's only a GAME  

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2003, 08:01:07 am »
It would be crazy to release the patch which is only tested on one version or a patch for one version without releasing them for makign sure everyone else can play. Simply put, if they released the patch for the US version and everyone updated there servers, I wouldnt be able to play at all and as such would be rather annoyed.

Similary, if people didnt update, you guys wouldnt be able to play. In a situation like this, you have to think about everyone involved, although most here (I assume) are Americans so this probably schews a few oppinions.

I say patches for all!

P.S. Did any of you Taldren guys read my thread about stopping people not engaging but staying in game? I figure if you release another patch, if you would be so kind  

matyoung

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2003, 12:12:43 pm »

David Ferrell

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2003, 12:13:22 pm »
Quote:

Your assertions above are factually incorrect.

If you wish to continue posting on these forums, I would suggest you work on your attitude in your
posts.

Dave  

David Ferrell

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2003, 12:25:24 pm »
For my part, I apologize for my coarse language.

Looks at calendar, yep I'm way overdue for a vacation!

Thanks,

Dave  

Bob Graham

« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2003, 12:30:53 pm »
Quote:

Not true!  I beat both the single player campaigns for SFC1 and 3 without patches or problems.  I never even attempted the campaign for 2 untill a few months ago, and havent messed with OP.

Second, where was Activisions vaulted QA process BEFORE the game was released???

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2003, 12:43:07 pm »
It wouldnt surprise me if, like most software companies, Activision cut several of their QA people to save money.  I have been playing EA sports NCAA Football 2003, and while EA has been a bit lacking in the Customer Service department before, I rarely have ever noticed any serious bugs in either their PC or their console games, but the game has a number of bugs, a couple of which could have been spotted if someone had tried. (one i dont think would have been caught but who would expect a fumble returned for a TD being called back for a 5-yd facemask (gave me the TD but gave them the PAT attempt, so that game ended with a final of 48-1))

Just give them time, and thank the powers that be that we are on a PC and not an unpatchable console.

Oh yeah, i also cruised through the SP campaigns, and only encountered one major bug, and all that I needed to do was reload from the saved game and play the mission again to get around it.  I have seen the stuck in loading bug, but I upgraded to DX9, and I havent seen it since.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lieutenant_Q »

Toasty0

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2003, 12:50:32 pm »
Quote:

Huh, did I miss something? Did Dave finally pop a cork? OMG, he is human afterall.    

matyoung

« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2003, 11:11:38 am »
Hey we,re only human (last time i looked )  

TheSatyr

« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2003, 12:48:43 pm »
Dave is just acting like an actual human being. *laffin*  

DarkMaster

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2003, 03:05:03 pm »

Blitzkrieg

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2003, 03:07:44 pm »
How many times does it need to be said Taldren finished the patch but as the game is published by someone else it has to go through them basicaly for legal reasons. I beleive I already said thanks for finishing the patch, hurry the hell up Activision! lol

NCC2012

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2003, 04:02:26 pm »
Quote:

People have patients?? Good lord!  I didn't think everyone here was a physician!  

Quote:

The SFC3 patch is winding it's way through Activision QA and is now looking like it
will be released during the week of 24 February 2003.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you for the update, Dave!  

Sniper

« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2003, 04:07:26 pm »
Doesn't it go back and forth? I think I read somewhere that activision Q&A's it and if they find something wrong they send it to Taldren to fix it, than they fix it and send it to activision again and if activision finds a new bug then it goes back again and .... you get the picture, not a very efficient way to work but thorough

Bob Graham

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2003, 12:04:35 am »
Quote:

If your using Windows XP, open up your Add/Remove Programs, then compare the MB that SFC3 uses compared to your other games.  That could be part of the reason it takes longer.  

If thats not enough for you, I dont remember the exact quote or who at Taldren said it, but it was something to the effect that SFCs source code was HUGE.  One of them commented that when iD released the Quake II code, he looked at it and said "Thats all?"

Mavolic

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2003, 09:14:13 pm »
Quote:

Ummm..how long has  Blizzard been working on the 1.10 patch for Diablo II ?.....*cough* A YEAR  *cough*

« Last Edit: February 15, 2003, 09:16:01 pm by Mavolic »

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2003, 11:50:08 pm »
2 lol
only 2...

I question though... whould it really be that impossible for Taldren to develop/release its own game without activisions help?  

Mavolic

« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2003, 04:18:32 am »
Quote:

2 lol
only 2...

They have two? I thought they were down to one person working on the 1.10 patch..hehe

Don't mind me, just getting my 200 post in...

Lemme see...

25 months as a registered member...

200 posts...

That adds up to nice even 8 posts a month...

Woo Hoo!...  I'm so uber...

kevlar

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2003, 07:40:03 am »
That is a bit  unfair... Diablo is a "old " game..  they made a patch two days after LOD was out,  one month and a half later they made a second patch for lod.. and 3 months after that another one. in six months they patched it out at least 3 times -and one of those patches added considerable content (1.09), not counting several server fixes.
Altough they haven't spit the now mythical 1.10 ( and I believe they never will), blizzard still  beat activision by far when it comes to patching speed and number.

And, IMHO,  blizzard products still set the standard in terms of game stopping bugs . They can be hacked and unbalanced, but still I think i never had more than 25 crashes in 2.5 years playing online diablo. (and maybe only 2 or 3 while playing offline) and I never ever found a real  game stoping bug on that tittle.