Topic: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?  (Read 20336 times)

DarkMaster

Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:26:52 pm »
We know you guys have had the patch for over a week now...why hasn't it been released?

We know you guys read these forums and will see this.  We've waited long enough.  I think I've sat with a half-playable game for long enough.   Please release the patch, or tell us what the delay is.

jkbond

Re: Dan, Harry--why is Activision sitting on the patch?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 02:32:48 pm »
I am really hoping the patch is released. If and when it is released there will be hundreds of grateful players  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 03:18:18 pm »
Taking the patch from Taldren and siting on it or working on it or whatever, but not telling anyone anything about why or what you're doing is a real big PR mistake. Imagine all the people who bought this game who know nothing about this forum, who are all going... "WTF is with this broke ass game?" and will never buy another SFC game, and possibly another Activision game.

Activision: Don't drive people away from your business to go play on X-Box...

TELL US SOMETHING!

Captain KoraH

ChamadaIV

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 04:17:56 pm »
You'd be amazed at how much evil influence has hung over the game industry since the arrival of X-Box. Activision may be one of Microsoft's latest victims in this rat race we call "big business." Or maybe X-Box has nothing to do with it and the world's first independent gaming company (Activison) has more important business priorities to handle...  

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ChamadaIV »

David Ferrell

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 04:20:04 pm »
No one is sitting on the patch.  It is currently winding it's way through Activision QA.

Thanks,

Dave  

cherokee158

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 04:31:02 pm »
What, exactly, goes on in Activision's QA, anyway? I am alternately plagued by visions of guys in suits eating donuts and spinning a bottle on a large oak conference table in an effort to determine who will sign off on the patch and visions of black t-shirted geeks on an LAN playing the new game with absolutely no idea what day of the week it is or, indeed, even which month.

Am I close?  

Hale

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 04:39:26 pm »
Cut the QA guys at Activision some slack.  If they miss something, or if something that currently works is broken,  we will be the first ones complaining here about how crappy the patch is.  If it takes them an extra week to get it right, so be it.  

Arcilte

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 04:46:28 pm »
Quote:

Cut the QA guys at Activision some slack.  If they miss something, or if something that currently works is broken,  we will be the first ones complaining here about how crappy the patch is.  If it takes them an extra week to get it right, so be it.    

This is true... but we have all seen the Read Me for the patch and it is not much different then the Beta Patch we saw a while back. Just makes you wonder what they are doing with it. (Hmmm.... now I'll think about it)  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 05:18:07 pm »
Quote:

No one is sitting on the patch.  It is currently winding it's way through Activision QA.

Thanks,

Dave  

At a minimum, this means they are playing through all single-player missions. I imagine they need to check if the changes (i.e. AI using AV when firing) don't break the missions by making something too hard or too easy, etc.

As someone who bought SFC3 at Best Buy to get the Borg campaign only to find it can't be completed, I'm glad they are doing this.

Take your time and get it right.

Oh, and hurry up already! I want the patch!

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 05:28:00 pm »
Hey Guys, as David and others have mentioned, this patch (actually it's three patches - for US, UK and German versions) is in the final stages of Activision QA.

And the short answer to "why is it taking so long" boils down to the fact that, in order to insure that this patch fixes everything we say it does, and doesn't break anything new, we need to test every aspect of the game - single player and multiplayer skirmish, SP campaigns, tutorials, SP conquest and, of course, the D3.  We also need to do this for the US regular, US Best Buy, German and UK versions of the game.

Fortunately, I can report that testing is going very well.  We are looking to release all three patches shortly, possibly within the week, and assuming we don't find anything new.

I apologize for the delay.  Your patience will soon be rewarded.  

ghostcamel

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2003, 06:12:15 pm »
Quote:

Hey Guys, as David and others have mentioned, this patch (actually it's three patches - for US, UK and German versions) is in the final stages of Activision QA.

And the short answer to "why is it taking so long" boils down to the fact that, in order to insure that this patch fixes everything we say it does, and doesn't break anything new, we need to test every aspect of the game - single player and multiplayer skirmish, SP campaigns, tutorials, SP conquest and, of course, the D3.  We also need to do this for the US regular, US Best Buy, German and UK versions of the game.

Fortunately, I can report that testing is going very well.  We are looking to release all three patches shortly, possibly within the week, and assuming we don't find anything new.

NP Dan. AI was always of the opinion that QC should get ALL the time they need to check everything.

Not everyone feels that the patch shouldve been here yesterday. I can wait, as long as i get rewarded  

Hope the balance fixes are sufficient and appropriate.

Maybe better optimized netcode....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by ghostcamel »

Cruis.In

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 06:21:52 pm »
Dan,

has sfc3 been doing well in the market sales wise?

Tulmahk

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 07:03:13 pm »
And people have already been complaining about the patch based only on the ReadMe.

I think Activision and Taldren have been doing an excellent job here.  Remember the parade of patches for SFC2, many of which broke previously working things?  I think they're hoping to avoid that this time around.

I'm very willing to wait.  I don't want it now, I want it good.

Though weekly status reports being posted here wouldn't be a bad idea.  It might aleviate some of the impatience.  

Dan Hagerty

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2003, 07:19:33 pm »
Quote:

has sfc3 been doing well in the market sales wise?

It has been doing as well as we expected it would.  It's not blowing off the shelves, but neither is it a disappoitment.

Quote:

Though weekly status reports being posted here wouldn't be a bad idea.  It might aleviate some of the impatience.  

Duly noted.  I'll try to be better about popping in here to keep folks up on the Activision side of things.  

SirWilliam

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 07:21:05 pm »
Quote:

Duly noted.  I'll try to be better about popping in here to keep folks up on the Activision side of things.  

Huzzah!  

Vortox

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2003, 01:51:28 pm »
Thx Dan...that sure is good to know. Beting on all of SFC gamers, the excitement of getting the patch making the game even better is killing us. HA HA HA HA. So status report sure will be a good help.  

Cruis.In

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2003, 02:51:02 pm »
dont make promises you can't keep Dan.

are you a star trek fan Dan?

im glad it's not doing bad, you think in your opinion if you were running activision based on sfc3 sales numbers you would do a sequel? your opinion of course.

Subspace

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2003, 03:09:02 pm »
man its nice to here something about it ..... & also im gald SFC3 is selling within the numbers you hoped  

AdmiralRaimark

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2003, 03:13:52 pm »
Quote:

And people have already been complaining about the patch based only on the ReadMe.

I think Activision and Taldren have been doing an excellent job here.  Remember the parade of patches for SFC2, many of which broke previously working things?  I think they're hoping to avoid that this time around.

I'm very willing to wait.  I don't want it now, I want it good.

Aye, I suddenly remember getting a patch from KhoroMag and suddenly losing the ability to complete the Graveyard of Souls campaign match   or, as I said at the time, "A battleship with 50 spare parts is nice, but I sit here no freighters picking anyone up, and apparently, MY transporters aren't up to the job"  Very strange, if the BSG can lead a rag tag fugitive fleet, I think a FedBB can pick up a few stray school kids.  Luckily, there was much rejoicing using the old .SCR.

Yes, please, take whatever time is needed; although I do admit chomping at the bit-ish.  

Also, it seems that with the Nemesis add-on, there's a precedent for creating full-scale addons that don't require separate installations (even though OP was a great release).  That's something that's on my wish list.  Heck, I'd even be willing to contribute story material ('cuz I cant program worth a lick!).

My 2 credits,

GM

Koloth

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 03:49:43 pm »
Quote:

It has been rumored that this patch will be the first and last patch for SFC3. Would you care to comment on that?