Topic: In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products  (Read 18584 times)

Strafer

Re: In responce to comments made about ATI Technologies and their products
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2003, 01:48:02 pm »
I can say 1 thing about the ATI drivers.
The drivers included with Windows 2000 for the Rage Fury line doesn't work well with SFC:OP.
The skin isn't being displayed, only a black silhouette against the BG.
Updating to drivers provided by ATI direct works like a charm. Full detail, damage and all.

Uss_Defiant

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2003, 04:59:36 pm »
what is this "ATI Direct" that you speak of?

LongTooth

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 09:45:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I personally use an ati card and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.  I have had nothing wrong with the drivers either.  So I can't really see why anyone would say such things about ati's drivers.  I have used both nvidia and ati cards before and I personally prefer ati over nvidia.    

I said it and I regret having done so.

I am glad ATI users are having great experiences with SFC3.

Sincerely,

Dave  

Be very careful about posting on theses fourms about codeing whether good or bad as it could get you banned
Ati make very good cards and its good to so that the drivers are improveing all the time

SghnDubh

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2003, 09:51:49 pm »

I run an ATI Radeon 8500 128MB card in my P4 1.8.

It's an excellent card. Fast, smooth, and easy to configure.

On par, or slightly better, than the NVIDIA I ran before that.

With the latest XP drivers, I am totally satisfied with my ATI card,

I have never had problems with it,

and I recommend it highly.

FWIW,
SghnDubh

Prae

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2003, 05:45:22 am »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've got a Radeon 9000 now and I have had absolutely no trouble with it, granted I haven't had it that long but its much better than my GeForce 3 and the drivers seem good too.  

**DONOTDELETE**

It's dark in here...
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2003, 07:51:09 am »
I still prefer Matrox video cards over any other.

(How far can we put our heads up ATI's a...? Oh right , sorry...)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

korus

Re: It's dark in here...
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2003, 10:58:41 am »
  Hey, I plan on getting a new rig in a few months and after being a ATI card user for 8 years now I'm thinking of switching to an Nvidia chipset.  Is anyone using a Leadtek Winfast? Or MSI? I was thinking of using one of those cards... Thanks!

Korus

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2003, 11:17:48 am »
 If I were going to buy an nVidia chipset video card,
I would buy one of these:  ASUSŪ Graphics Cards,
as I trust the name and reputation for quality hardware.
I tend to shy away from any card sold on the basis of economy.
(i.e.: Leadtek Winfast, or MSI)
I have installed Leadtek, MSI and ASUS video cards and have
recieved the least performance complaints about the ASUS products.

But, I still highly reccomend Matrox.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

zaniwhoop2

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2003, 11:19:19 am »
Quote:

Hey, I plan on getting a new rig in a few months and after being a ATI card user for 8 years now I'm thinking of switching to an Nvidia chipset.  Is anyone using a Leadtek Winfast? Or MSI? I was thinking of using one of those cards... Thanks!

Korus

ATI has a superior product in every price range, but if you want nVidia, it doesn't matter unless you're going to overclock it (same is generally true with ATI). Look for whichever one has the best game bundle. Most have TV-out and DVI, but if you don't use those features, it's useless.  

Hertston

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2003, 04:01:57 pm »
Nothing wrong with ATI products, and never has been... but  I switched to Nvidia with my current PC (GF4 Ti 4600 ) simply for compability... no matter how you dress it up, software devs develop for Nvidia first.   Consequently, you can get compatibility problems on occasion with ATI cards (insufficient care or testing or whatever) but I know damn well whatever I buy will work perfectly with my card.      Unfortunately, that wouldn't be the case if I had an ATI board installed.  Not ATI's fault, but just the way it is - unless they can come up with something so kick-ass for the money compared with Nvidia developers really sit up and take notice.  

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2003, 07:51:24 pm »
Looks like the waste of a good sticky to me.

Toasty0

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2003, 09:00:36 pm »
Quote:

I'm inclined to agree. But, then again, I'm not the one facing the 800 pound advertising gorilla who is thowing advertising money about the internet gaming commmunity like a 1930's Chicago ganster.

In Las Vegas we have a saying that I'll tone down for this venue. "Money talks, all others walk." I'm sure you get the drift. These folks at ATI are talking loud and clear and I'm sure it is in Taldren's better interest to listen.

{NOTE: I speak for only myself in this post and in no way respresent or pretend to represent any position or any employee's position at Taldren. The opinions expressed in this post are soloely mine and do not any way reflect Taldren.}      

wilfbrim

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2003, 02:45:39 am »
I have used TNT, TNT2, GeForce MX200 and lately an ATI Radeon 9000Pro. The Deal is this people: Every company makes a product that is what they deem best in both a hardware/software performance combination. Then they will tweak drivers, etc. to match what they see as issues. With hundreds of games, dozens of graphic engines, it is impossible to make one that is the best for all and affordable. I have had no issues running SFC 1,2,3 on any of these cards, except the bugs that come up. Some bugs are buggier on some drivers than others. It relates to the battle over processors. I work for Intel, and yet I prefer SiS chipsets as being stable compared to Intel's. So I buy them. You all do the same, and buy what you percieve as the best for your platform. Remember, It is not just Grapic cards and SFC, you also have the integral chipset drivers, OS drivers and the interfacing of all of them to contribute to masking the issues. I believe Taldren does the best it can with smoothing out all platform issues, and the result is not all will run as good as others, and all the reasons come into play: Cards, software, chipsets, memory (DDR can do strange things, Rambus as well), memory allocation, and so on. I personally did not think there was anything really bad in anything said about hardware in the forums, but I am the last one to confess to having spent a long time here. Computers are just entering a period of adulthood, and as more common standards are adopted, there will be less problems with hardware. I would remind everyone when DDR333 came out, there were intially a huge mess with finding DDR that would work with specific DDR chipsets. Find what you think is best, and tailor it to meet your needs as best you can. Maybe a harwadre forum would help with identifying issues and commonalities??  

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2003, 07:45:23 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I'm inclined to agree. But, then again, I'm not the one facing the 800 pound advertising gorilla who is thowing advertising money about the internet gaming commmunity like a 1930's Chicago ganster.

In Las Vegas we have a saying that I'll tone down for this venue. "Money talks, all others walk." I'm sure you get the drift. These folks at ATI are talking loud and clear and I'm sure it is in Taldren's better interest to listen.

{NOTE: I speak for only myself in this post and in no way respresent or pretend to represent any position or any employee's position at Taldren. The opinions expressed in this post are soloely mine and do not any way reflect Taldren.}      

Likely true Toasty thanks for the heads up!....

« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 03:50:21 am by KATChuutRitt »

Admiral_CRS

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2003, 09:06:17 am »
In regard to the question about which Nvidia card to buy, I would check out Gainwards cards, I have used one of their GF3 and GF4 and have been completely satisfied.

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2003, 12:06:33 pm »
Gainswards are great in general, but be careful of their Ti4200 GF4 as they have had a lot of manufacturing issues with it (i.e. lots of DOA's), otherwise I have found them to be great overclockers.

Gamester

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2003, 11:05:38 pm »
Hey, fellas!

The strangest cool thing happened today (2/10/03). I was checking my E-Mail and noticed a msg entitled "ATI Catalyst Drivers" Apparently ATI's Senior Product Manager for the Catalyst Driver program reads the Taldren boards! He wrote me an e-mail asking me for details about my customer service experience with ATI. You just never know when what you have to say will hit the right ears!

Gamester

SSCF Hooch

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2003, 11:11:22 pm »
Quote:

Hey, fellas!

The strangest cool thing happened today (2/10/03). I was checking my E-Mail and noticed a msg entitled "ATI Catalyst Drivers" Apparently ATI's Senior Product Manager for the Catalyst Driver program reads the Taldren boards! He wrote me an e-mail asking me for details about my customer service experience with ATI. You just never know when what you have to say will hit the right ears!

Gamester

Now this is customer service.

Hooch

PS
I have only used ATI cards and they are very dependable for gaming, never had an issue with the AGP cards.

KATChuutRitt

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2003, 11:24:57 pm »
That is a great show of customer service an immediate and prompt reply, Have to give them a   for that one.

Akhilles

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2003, 08:22:47 am »
I don't hold alot of respect for ATI after their benchmark debacle.

They hard coded their drivers to look for the Quake executable, so they could skew the benchmark. This was proven after renaming the Quake executable and re-running the test. Sad.