Topic: Bored Again  (Read 15044 times)

Azel

Re: Bored Again
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
I know , I know...but I have to bump again  

Smiley

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2003, 09:17:04 pm »
Right....I think that this is finished - although I'm nto sure whether I should redo the texture on the pylons...looks a bit low-res, and it is! lol

Opinions please people, is it finished?

Fire Blade

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2003, 09:41:28 pm »
Fantastic work ! i think your right the pylon textures need redoing but the rest of the ship looks great !

Azel

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2003, 11:07:48 pm »
Awe-inspiring man!!!

E_Look

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2003, 11:11:04 pm »
I've been looking forward to this one for a while.  Still, I'll agree with FireBlade- spruce up the pylons a tad.  In general, excellent job.

Captain Ron

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2003, 01:03:32 am »
I have to agree if you look at the 3 rd pic down you will notice they don't seem to match to well, almost like you took them from another ship during a kit bash of two different modellers ships. Close but not quite. You might wantto think about running something like the hull bottom along them and spruce up the background Aztec again like the lower hulls.

The only other thing is the bottom of the warp engines looks plane than compared to the rest of the ship.

Yup a nit pick I know but you spent to much of your life on it now not to make it prefect. She is a beautiful ship as she is now, and considering what you did to the rest of her it would seem a shame not to have finish these last details.

Smiley

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2003, 07:04:45 am »
Yes that's how I feel about it too, but sometimes you just can't be bothered! I shall redo the pylons and add "something" to the bottom of the warp nacelles

Smiley

« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2003, 02:06:26 pm »
Better?

Captain Ron

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2003, 02:12:11 pm »
For undetr the engine YES! definitily.

As for the pylons, if it were me doing it. I would use that texture you used for the background on the lower hull with the windows on it (minus the windows) as 4-5 retangles on the pylons.

So it would be the light gray backing as now the checkered layer over it in 4 or 5 retangles then the current one over that. maybe some kind of flush vents in the front and back like all the TMP ships have (Consititution II, Excelsior, and Sov)

Kaenyne

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2003, 02:28:52 pm »
Oh, yes, that is an improvement.

I'm not an expert by any means, but the pylons are almost matching the hull, so you are getting closer...

Smiley

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2003, 02:31:21 pm »
Ok, can you post a pic of these flush vents because I am not sure what you mean?

Captain Ron

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2003, 06:21:45 pm »
Quote:

Ok, can you post a pic of these flush vents because I am not sure what you mean?  

Sure can

Consititution II
Excel
Sov

Basically a way to vent plasma if something goes wrong with an engine.

Azel

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2003, 06:40:54 pm »
WoW!!!!
Simply stunning man!!!
Thanks man...Thanks alot
You the MAN  

Smiley

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2003, 03:35:55 am »
No problem Azel, as ever, it is a pleasure to texture your beautiful creations

And I thought that less was more! Haha, well maybe more is um...more? Do the latest details finish her off? (yet?)

Captain Ron

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2003, 03:49:32 am »
And I thought that less was more! Haha, well maybe more is um...more? Do the latest details finish her off? (yet?)

Less is more only when you are in a dicussion with a short amount of time, because you push for Quality not quanty at that point. With textures less seems to be uneventful and more can definiatily look better especially if you can get more without looking cluttered (very difficult to do).

Not exactly what I was expecting but I do really like it! You have pulled it off nicily in my opinion so I would say it was done and done as a master piece (I look forward to stealing some textures off it)

Good job smiley!
(so where is the download link at?)

Smiley

« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2003, 04:16:34 am »
Quote:

Less is more only when you are in a dicussion with a short amount of time, because you push for Quality not quanty at that point. With textures less seems to be uneventful and more can definiatily look better especially if you can get more without looking cluttered (very difficult to do).

Not exactly what I was expecting but I do really like it! You have pulled it off nicily in my opinion so I would say it was done and done as a master piece (I look forward to stealing some textures off it)

Good job smiley!

Hehe, I'm very pleased to read your post Mon Capitain! I hope that it lives up to at least some of the kind words said in this thread

As for downloads....well I think that Azel should see the model first, as it is his ship. Once he's approved it then I'll see about posting a link - hopefully at good ol' Mackie's site.

At the moment it has about 9 1024x1024 textures, a few 512x1024s and a few more of smaller sizes! I'm not sure it would be practical to have so many high resolution textures in-game...!?
Bridge Commander maybe, but SFC...hmmm.....

What do you reckon? 2 versions, one high res and one lower one?

Kaenyne

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2003, 08:29:35 am »
Yes, she's done!

Clear all moorings! One quarter impulse power. Navigator, set a course for the Romulan Neutral Zone. Let's show 'em what we got!

(and yeah, a lower poly version would help too.)  

Captain Ron

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2003, 11:26:10 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Good job smiley!

Hehe, I'm very pleased to read your post Mon Capitain! I hope that it lives up to at least some of the kind words said in this thread

As for downloads....well I think that Azel should see the model first, as it is his ship. Once he's approved it then I'll see about posting a link - hopefully at good ol' Mackie's site.

At the moment it has about 9 1024x1024 textures, a few 512x1024s and a few more of smaller sizes! I'm not sure it would be practical to have so many high resolution textures in-game...!?
Bridge Commander maybe, but SFC...hmmm.....

What do you reckon? 2 versions, one high res and one lower one?

Textures of large size are more of a function of the video card. Anyone who plays the current FPS games out there will be able to handle that. all the Saucer sections textures I do are at 1024 x 1024 so they seem to work. Khalibans Enterprise was at 1024 x 1024 (4), 1024 x 512 (2), and rest 512 x 512 and that was out what 2 years ago? I would say release her at normal size and see how it goes or have a few ppl test it. I have a Geforce 4 Ti so I can handle the higher end one, but I don't know what everyone else uses. The main advantage of shrinking textures is it reduces the size in the file and makes it easier for older cards to handle (3,000 kb for a 1024 x 1024, but only 800 kb for 512 x 512) but it does reduce that details as well. It also depends on the DPI settings you did them at, if they are at 120 or so (or less) when you convert them move the resolution to 200+ and you might be able to save that detail without it blurring away on you.

So I would save the orginal make a copy and see were you are with DPIs' on the textures you might be able to shrink a few of those big ones. Any texture of the 1024 x 1024 size that doesn't have allot of detail can also be shruck down, the 1024 x 512 again depends what is on them and anything 512 x 512 and smaller doesn't matter. What I am worried about is the small details like the aztec you used that will almost disappear into a blur depending on the settings you started with.

Reverend

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2003, 11:52:42 am »
I was wondering that myself- my processor is a Celeron 2GB, and I have 1GB of RAM, but I have a puny 32MB Radeon vid card... sometimes the processor will read the graphics the card won't, but sometimes neither will... so, maybe you could shrink some of the files, Smiley, to like 512x512.... that way ones that have weak cards like me can still see those awesome textures....

she looks fantastic, she really does Smiley- thank you for you dedication- we all appreciate it...  

Azel

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2003, 03:20:26 pm »
Ok then send her or Post the babe!!!