Topic: Galaxies at War (The mod)  (Read 31306 times)

Klingon Fanatic

Re: Galaxies at War
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2003, 09:34:26 pm »
BTW: I did ask WZ45 if we could use his TMP KA models. I specifically asked to use his Klingons, his Ulysses and any other TMP Romulans he makes.

WZ45, please acknowledge.

I also sent an e-mail to Captain KoraH to get permission to use his FASA Klingons.

I also sent an e-mail to Kt'Hyla (maker of the Orion Sortrex FF) about getting some new Romulans converted to SFC.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/phoenixx/romshuttle.htm

I will advise.

KF

« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 10:48:16 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

Potemkin

Andro ships
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2003, 10:57:00 pm »
I saw a post earlier about the Andro ships and saw that there was a larger mauler class ship made.  About fiften years ago, I designed several Andro ships.  They were never submitted...  Of these was the Cottonmouth - a Python class ship converted to a twin mauler unit.  Nasty!

The first prototype mauler was made on a Viper class hull.  A scenario was created for it called David and Goliath.  It was one of a few ships defending an Andro base when a Kzinti SCS fell upon them.  Nailed that SCS!

A medium sized base was also designed for junction points in the RTN.

The Andros also realized their ability to use transporters in battle and created commando ships from the DD, HDD, and CL hulls.  One additional commando ship was converted using an Intruder.  It was very effective!   Ships triple their current number of transporters.  Hognose Snake Class(FF), Coral Snake Class(DD), Fer-de-lance Class(CL), and the Interloper Class(CA).

A Conquistador class CL was converted to a Sidewinder - giving the ship four TRHs - two left side and two right side.  Conquistadors/Sidewinders have the ability to carry one HDD, or one DD, or two FF class satellite ships.

After the loss of two Dominators, the Andromedans realized their mistake and began a delaying action themsleves.  The battleship was abandoned and began work on a new transit point to connect to Andromeda.  In addition, one of their squadrons main objective was to capture ships.  Those not able to convert were stripped of their weapons - which were used to upgrade their ships.  The results have yet to be seen.

If you need Andro stories, history, or scenarios - let me know.  I can also help with the High Level Design and Detailed Design of the code.

Po~

Rod O'neal

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2003, 11:00:43 pm »
As for Andromedans, I would urge the use of implementing uniform Andromedan shield (Non-regenerative, no labs?) value in increments of 25 (e.g. 25 FF, 50 DD, 75 CL, 100 CA, etc..) IMHO, this would reflect some of the Andromedan ability to manage energy/power better than the galatic powers. If they are really the BORG of the TOS/TMP this makes them harder to defeat without more than one ship. As for TRBs we have light and heavy TRBs and the Displacement device can be 'simulated' via the improved cloak....

What I did originally was to give the Andros 6xShields per PA box. The Small and Med Sats Would have (F/R) 24/18 Large Sats & CLs 36/24, etc with enough power to have ample reinforcement available. They are supposed to be more vulnerable from the rear. IIRC that was one of the Doomsday changes. Prior rules gave them equal shielding. You will be able to wear down their shields, but with the reinforcement it'll take some time.

I'm curious why you think that they shouldn't be able to repair/regenerate their shields. Andros can repair PAs and definately regenerate them by draining them of the stored power. I'm not dismissing what you're saying. I just need to understand the thinking.  

Remember, the Andros were just about undefeatable.  In my experience, they were undefeatable - under a competent commander.  

TRLs should only be used on the smaller ships - DD and FF classes.  Not the HDD class.
Just my opinion as an experienced SFB Andromedan player.

Po~

The SFB distribution of TRLs and TRHs gives TRLs to the SatShips and TRHs to the mother ships. This was another Doomsday change. I'm planning on sticking to that formula. I really don't see how I could get away with changing that.  

Potemkin

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2003, 11:35:17 pm »
I see your point with sticking to the Doomsday manual on TRHs and TRLs.  Though I dissagree with their decision.  The TRL should have 2/3s of the effectiveness of a TRH, not 1/2 since the TRL uses 2/3s of the power of a TRH.

I have heard of changes they made to the PA panels making it harder to drain off the energy <blech!>.  The PA panels had two levels, standard and reinforced.  How will your method of using shields simulate a forward or aft PA panel set?  How will it simulate absorbing 10 points of power power panel?  I guess there is no way to put in how PA panels dump their energy/damage when destroyed or powered down .

Keep going!!!

Po~

Um - how do I get the image to work here?

Azel

« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2003, 11:51:38 pm »
I should Have some Andromedians and Mirror Universe Meshes done By Sunday...Andorians too  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 11:52:17 pm by Azel »

Potemkin

Re: Logo Concepts
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2003, 11:52:37 pm »
Nice image - Good work!

Po~

Potemkin

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2003, 12:26:45 am »

Quote:

I'm curious why you think that they shouldn't be able to repair/regenerate their shields. Andros can repair PAs and definately regenerate them by draining them of the stored power. I'm not dismissing what you're saying. I just need to understand the thinking.

My understanding is that they made it more difficult, not impossible.  It used to be drain two points per panel per turn, now I hear it is one point per panel per turn!  Sorry I was not clear about that.  I am used to th pre Doomsday rules - for the most part.  I played a few games under the Doomsday, but not many.  I am not sure how you can make the drainage look on shields.

Task Force Games has continued making it more and more difficult for the Andros.  The Krait now has TRLS!!!  AND it only get so many turns to destroy its opponet before it looses!  

Arg!  

Po~  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 12:43:34 am by Potemkin »

Potemkin

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2003, 12:48:24 am »
Good Andro pictures from the link you provided.  I like the work!

Po~

Rod O'neal

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2003, 01:07:51 am »
I was really peaved when I saw the castration of the Krait myself. It came along that way because a lot of people finally started flying the Krait smart and it got nearly unbeatable. The way most people loose in tourney play in the Krait is by putting themselves in the position that if displacement fails, they die. If you don't do that, or at least make avoiding it your #1 priority, there isn't too much that an opponent can do. The Krait can stand off at range, absorb what relatively small damage that the Galactic ship can dish out almost indefinately, and eventually wear down the opponent. Even with the TRLs this tactic works. So then they said, "We aren't going to let you play the long range, duck and slide, game anymore. We're going to put a clock on you that forces you to get close enough for your opponeny to hurt you." It's like putting a middleweight boxer in the ring against a heavyweight and nailing his feet to the canvas so he can't move! Until they come up with another way of balancing the Krait, I'll never fly it again.

As far as simulating PAs in SFB goes, You can't. You can only hopefully balance the Andros so the flow of the battle is "Andromedan like". It's a cross between sabre dancing and a plasma ballet. as I'm sure you know . You fly at high speed, Charge your TRs and your batteries, then close for a battle pass. Get the heck outa Dodge while your systems recharge and do it again. Wear down your opponent and use your superior speed, maneuverability, and weapon's arcs to control the initiative of the battle.        

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2003, 06:06:50 am »
As for Andromedans, I would urge the use of implementing uniform Andromedan shield (Non-regenerative, no labs?) value in increments of 25 (e.g. 25 FF, 50 DD, 75 CL, 100 CA, etc..) IMHO, this would reflect some of the Andromedan ability to manage energy/power better than the galatic powers. If they are really the BORG of the TOS/TMP this makes them harder to defeat without more than one ship. As for TRBs we have light and heavy TRBs and the Displacement device can be 'simulated' via the improved cloak....

OK here's my thoughts... this coming from a guy who never played a SFB game against the Andros. From what I'm reading the PA panels are tough at first but can be overloaded. I should have added that I only gave those non-regenerative (0 labs) shield values to THREE (3) shields where the PA panels were located.  So the Dominator would have three 200 pt shields on it while the MWP [I was using P81's Cobra until Desty_Nova's Andros came out] would have three 25 point shields.  Again this was my own "uneducated" experimentation. Doing it this way in my mind, forces the Andro player to manuever more, keep an eye on his PA panels but keeps things tough but not completely unbeatable.

How do we get around the "You can't transport boarding teams to an Andro ship?" Are they simply given 'NT' in the spec file?

Ultimately, I trust that  the SFB playing folks involved in this project will balance things out as best as it can be.

As Potempkin said, "Keep going"

Qapla!

KF
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 06:13:24 am by Klingon Fanatic »

Desty_Nova

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2003, 06:29:36 am »
Quote:

How do we get around the "You can't transport boarding teams to an Andro ship?" Are they simply given 'NT' in the spec file?

You actually can beam boarding parties onto an Andromedan ship. Their PA panels have to either be full (so they cannot absorb the energy of the transporter beam and it slips through), or completely destroyed. Basically, it's the same as how you can only beam onto an enemy ship when its shields are down, only in this case its when the PA panels can no longer absorb any more damage for whatever reason.  

Oh BTW Rod and Potemkin, I've heard multiple references from you guys about how the Krait has only TRL's versus anything but itself. I was looking at the special rules section for the Krait in the tournament module though (2000 edition), and found no mention of the fact that it's TRH's are donwgraded to TRL's. Just wondering if you guys could clarify this? Do I, in fact, have a newer edition that upgrades them back to TRH's? (If this is the case, then this ship is flyable again IMO)  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2003, 10:43:40 am »
Hey Desty,
I'll have to look araound on ADB's site to check on the Krait. Actually, if your rules are from 2000 then I think that they downgraded the TRs after that. I'll double check though.

Even full panels block transporting onto an Andromedan ship! The tiny amount of energy of a transporter signature can't penetrate even full panels. While it is technically possible to have a panel bank completely destroyed and to have had an Andro captain be so incompetent as to let his ship get that badly damaged before disengaging or self destructing (Remember that when a panel gets destroyed it releases it's power into the ship which usually causes more damage. This creates a cascading domino effect that generally doesn't stop until the ship "implodes".) the likelyhood is pretty remote. The closest implimentation to this in SFC would be the "NT" designation.  

Klingon Fanatic

Re: Galaxies at War (The mod)
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2003, 10:47:14 am »
A proposed Orion Cartel shiplist

PFF: Orion Privateer Light Raider Thulls (PFF)
PDD:  Orion Plunderer Double Raider Thulls
PDX: Sortrex (refit/upgrades) Kt'Hyla
PCL: Orion Lightening Cleeve
PCA: Orion Wanderer Cleeve
PCX: Wild Card
PDN:  Stock Taldren
PNDN: Wild Card
PFA: Merchantman2000 Cleeve
PFT: Sha' Kurian Superiority Fighter (Mercenary unit) Terradyne
PCV: Sha' Kurian Hunter Carrier (Mercenary unit) Terradyne

If this is acceptable then maybe these should be the Eastern Pirates (hence the Sha' Kurian Mercenaries). These ships are sleek, fast moving and not too heavily armored IMHO.

Rationale for Klingon Academy Sha' Kurians: "A curious practice of the Sha'kurians is their fielding of mercenary fleets. To supplement the income of a Royal Family and gain their younger warriors valuable experience a Sha'kurian Duke will often assemble squadrons of less experienced fighters and hire them out to external patrons as mercenaries. It is in this capacity that most of our encounters with Sha'kurians occur, but the fact that they are not seasoned fighters does not make them any less of a threat. They are still worthy opponents and not to be underestimated. " They detect cloaked ships very well too.

This is open for discussion.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 11:22:25 am by Klingon Fanatic »

Potemkin

PA Panels and such
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2003, 11:22:33 am »

Quote:

Even full panels block transporting onto an Andromedan ship! The tiny amount of energy of a transporter signature can't penetrate even full panels. While it is technically possible to have a panel bank completely destroyed and to have had an Andro captain be so incompetent as to let his ship get that badly damaged before disengaging or self destructing (Remember that when a panel gets destroyed it releases it's power into the ship which usually causes more damage. This creates a cascading domino effect that generally doesn't stop until the ship "implodes".) the likelyhood is pretty remote. The closest implimentation to this in SFC would be the "NT" designation

I think we are at an understanding about how the PA panels operate and will have to test the effectiveness of the idea.

The cascade effect of PA panels exploding is something I would like to explore.  The ship damaging itself.  Is there anything like this available?  Carriers used to have problems with fully armed fighters in their hanger, it the hanger took damage and a fighter was in that 'box' - it exploded and caused more damage (the next hanger box and another internal hit) - I don't think that came over to SFC.

Another problem would be the "my panels are exploding and I have an energy module/sat ship in my hanger."    I can't think of any way to make this happen unless we can get into the source code and set up some routines.

Keep Charging Guys!!!

Po~
(MIke)    

Ducttapewonder

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2003, 11:22:56 am »
DM.....

I got the Fed specs finished and the models collected. I'll shoot them over to you next time i see you on msn.  

DarkMatrix

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2003, 11:33:16 am »
Quote:

DM.....

I got the Fed specs finished and the models collected. I'll shoot them over to you next time i see you on msn.  

good  thing i just got new 160gb hd today then

i`ll chat with u laters man :d

DM

Desty_Nova

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2003, 03:26:38 pm »
Quote:

Hey Desty,
I'll have to look araound on ADB's site to check on the Krait. Actually, if your rules are from 2000 then I think that they downgraded the TRs after that. I'll double check though.

Even full panels block transporting onto an Andromedan ship! The tiny amount of energy of a transporter signature can't penetrate even full panels. While it is technically possible to have a panel bank completely destroyed and to have had an Andro captain be so incompetent as to let his ship get that badly damaged before disengaging or self destructing (Remember that when a panel gets destroyed it releases it's power into the ship which usually causes more damage. This creates a cascading domino effect that generally doesn't stop until the ship "implodes".) the likelyhood is pretty remote. The closest implimentation to this in SFC would be the "NT" designation.    

Really??? I've never been in a situation where I was beaming boarding parties onto an Andro, but I thought that's how it worked for some reason. I guess I somehow missed that part in the rules and just assumed...

Thu11s

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2003, 04:10:42 pm »
Hey peeps

Seems I'm a bit late, but I'm happy to help where I can, be it making ships, designing 'em or doing website stuff.

Been kinda wrapped up doing stuff for BF1942, mainly playing! but also doing some map stuff etc. I see everyone is concentrating (so far) on the Andro's, and other minor races, so I'm happy to take up the mantle on some of the other ones. I'm redoing my Gorn ships at the moment (similar to the SFB Gorn but taking Mon Calamari influences with bumps over them etc). Also got sketches for updated Lyran's, a bit more SFB than the current ones and all scratch built. Also got some ideas for some updated Hydrans. Depends what kind of direction you want to take it, ie, totally based on SFB and those style of ships (my preference!).

Anyway, let me know if i can help, always happy to lend a hand

Thu11s  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Thu11s »

Azel

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2003, 04:31:30 pm »

Hey Man!!!!
I would Love to have you work with us
I am just submitting a few meshes for most of the Races...I just finished my First andromedan...and will submit her to DestyNova...as well as a Hydran CC and a Few Heavy Gorn
I hope to throw in a few exotic races in like the Andorians,Telerites and Vulcans for Fed choice options or team help

Great to have you back man

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2003, 04:40:47 pm »
Quote:

Hey peeps

Seems I'm a bit late, but I'm happy to help where I can, be it making ships, designing 'em or doing website stuff.

Been kinda wrapped up doing stuff for BF1942, mainly playing! but also doing some map stuff etc. I see everyone is concentrating (so far) on the Andro's, and other minor races, so I'm happy to take up the mantle on some of the other ones. I'm redoing my Gorn ships at the moment (similar to the SFB Gorn but taking Mon Calamari influences with bumps over them etc). Also got sketches for updated Lyran's, a bit more SFB than the current ones and all scratch built. Also got some ideas for some updated Hydrans. Depends what kind of direction you want to take it, ie, totally based on SFB and those style of ships (my preference!).

Anyway, let me know if i can help, always happy to lend a hand

Thu11s  

Awesome!

Welcome Back Thulls!  Plenty of room if you want to contribute.

Please release the Klingon Sparrowhawk and the Romulans Seahawk and variants too.

KF
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 04:49:35 pm by Klingon Fanatic »