Topic: Galaxies at War (The mod)  (Read 30469 times)

Klingon Fanatic

Re: Oooowww!
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2004, 05:51:22 pm »
Rod,

This mod keeps getting better and better!  Can't wait fot Thulls' Lyrans and I Mudd's Imperials....

Oh yeah,  the Tholian fighters are still flying backwards LMAO!

'PLAY GAW' for the play tab is awesome as are all the extra details you've added to change the game from OP to GAW, LOL.

Some ??? (two so far) and no ship schematics on some but nothing that detracts from my enjoyment of this mod.

Overall no real complaints or concerns at the present time.

I'll post some pics when I get my models folder back in order.

Qapla!

KF

Mariner

Re: Beta Update
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2004, 07:59:24 pm »
May I ask if there are openings for concept and/or ship designers in GaW currently? I'd like to help, especially with the Terrans.

If your are curious about qualifications, I have worked as a semi-professional researcher and advisor on a few mods for A1 and A2, and have extensive familiarity with ST canon (as well as when to ignore it too )  

Stylsy

« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2004, 03:53:25 am »
Well as far as the Terrans go, we are waiting for I_Mudd to report in on his progress, and I am currently doing some retextures. I'm sure we could use the help though, so I'll let the others fill you in in more detail.

Karnak

« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2004, 11:08:18 am »
It seems that OP will have SQL back-end versioned Server Kit coming out.  Assuming that it actually works without crashing under the load of more than 20 users, how about we make the GAWtm dyna a SQL server dyna?  I'll make the changes to the EEK missions as I write them and the settings for the missions will be configurable from a PHP web page.  Just an idea I had.  

Rod O'neal

SQL Q's
« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2004, 11:04:30 pm »
I've read a bit about the SQL. Would you mind filling us in on what it can/should do, please?  

Karnak

Re: SQL Q's
« Reply #285 on: January 24, 2004, 08:18:32 am »
Two major improvements that an OP/SQL dyna would give over a standard OP/flatfile DB dyna is that different DV shifts can be given for Player versus Player matches vis-a-vis Player versus AI matches.  So, now the PvP matches will become more important without the need of using a disengagement rule to ban a player from a hex of a certain time period.  Instead, a PvP match would simply shift the DV multiple times that of a regular PvAI match.  In addition, to streamlining rule enforcement you can use the mission scripts to shift the economy value for certain missions like convoys.  Also, you use can use the SQL back-end to set up configuration parameters for the missions so now the admin. can easily change the settings for the mission for items such mission difficulty, AI generation, officer ranks, etc. Using the SQL back-end to configure the missions builds on existing Taldren functionality so it should be pretty robust.

Those are the 2 major practical improvements that I can think of for using SQL as the back-end database.

There are a lot more ideas in these threads that could be eventually looked at:

http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=246946&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=247471&page=7&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1  

FireSoul

Re: Galaxies at War (The mod)
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2004, 10:53:22 pm »
Hey. You. GaW people:

Quote:

I made a skirmish script which loads up every model for a given race, then blows the ship up. Basically, this is a quick test for all the models within given races. A bad model will usually result in a CTD.

Download:  http://klingon.stasis.ca/sources_and_utils/Ski_test_models.scr

Screenshot:  http://pet.dhs.org/~firesoul/sfc2/test_models/models_tester.JPG

Enjoy.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2004, 04:59:52 pm »
Quote:

Hey. You. GaW people:

Quote:

I made a skirmish script which loads up every model for a given race, then blows the ship up. Basically, this is a quick test for all the models within given races. A bad model will usually result in a CTD.

Download:  http://klingon.stasis.ca/sources_and_utils/Ski_test_models.scr

Screenshot:  http://pet.dhs.org/~firesoul/sfc2/test_models/models_tester.JPG

Enjoy.  

This is a GREAT idea and a fantastic way to check the shiplist before I get into a campaign game and CTD because of a model problem.

Thank you Firesoul!

KF

FireSoul

« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2004, 07:07:10 pm »
Quote:

This is a GREAT idea and a fantastic way to check the shiplist before I get into a campaign game and CTD because of a model problem.

Thank you Firesoul!

KF  

I needed it for myself, and found a few little nasties I had to fix, but I am sure this can be used by anybody..
.. btw, I updated the .SCR just tonight if you already downloaded it.

-- Luc

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #289 on: January 31, 2004, 01:52:14 pm »
Rod,

Please check out the shiplist with Firesoul's new model tester.

This program has discovered some models that don't generate (non-model related anomolies it states) and the Lyrans don't show up (based on the way the shiplist is?)

I CTD when I get to the GCM in the current GAW shiplist. I don't think it has anything to do with custom models either.

I, Mudd how about an update please.

Qapla!

FireSoul

« Reply #290 on: January 31, 2004, 03:12:36 pm »
Quote:

Rod,

This program has discovered some models that don't generate (non-model related anomolies it states) and the Lyrans don't show up (based on the way the shiplist is?)

.. it was found that an entry with some wrong data will prevent generation. In my case the L-DDs are marked as "DESTOYER", not "DESTROYER", and this is enough to prevent ship generation.

Quote:

I CTD when I get to the GCM in the current GAW shiplist. I don't think it has anything to do with custom models either.

.. look at the logfile. Where did it end? Ship generation, or when it's trying to blow it up and test the break model?

-- Luc

Rod O'neal

« Reply #291 on: January 31, 2004, 06:50:48 pm »
Quote:

Rod,

I, Mudd how about an update please.

Qapla!  

Will do.

I checked the shiplist and ftrlist in Dave's "shiplist checker" and it passed fine, except for some missing break mods, which wouldn't cause a crash. Since we haven't settled on any definative models yet, I wasn't worried about that, though. I will try FS's script as well. Thanks for the heads-up.  

DH123

« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2004, 12:50:52 pm »
Bump.   So when you guys going live?  

Stylsy

« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2004, 01:14:17 pm »
Well I believe Rod is finishing up the shiplists and finalising missions with Karnak, then it's a case of adding models..

Potemkin

« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2004, 10:54:01 pm »
Hi guys!

I've been a bit busy with work and studying and such.  I have a bit of Andro campaign material if you are interested in having a story - The "Pirate" story just doesn't sit well with me as an Invader  Would this be  relatively easy to change?

Po~    

Karnak

« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2004, 11:00:21 pm »
Quote:

Well I believe Rod is finishing up the shiplists and finalising missions with Karnak, then it's a case of adding models..  

I am starting up a good working relationship with Bonk and Dizzy regarding coding up missions that use Andros and Tholians on a dyna using SQL as the database back-end.  We'll be testing out missions on Bonk's SFB_OP mods that will be used for GAWtm.

Rod O'neal

« Reply #296 on: February 14, 2004, 01:18:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I am starting up a good working relationship with Bonk and Dizzy regarding coding up missions that use Andros and Tholians on a dyna using SQL as the database back-end.  We'll be testing out missions on Bonk's SFB_OP mods that will be used for GAWtm.  

Hmmm. Dizzy got to you too, did he?  

Karnak

« Reply #297 on: February 14, 2004, 07:44:58 pm »
Yeah, he's quite persistent, hehe.

We are all in the "Slave Girls of Orion Development forum at www.bozobits.com/forums .  Sign up and join in.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2004, 12:10:23 pm »
OK, I've found that the Multiplayer script "Communication Breakdown" is not working with the current Galaxies at War shiplist..

Am I reading correctly  that Bonk's shiplist is ursurping Rod O' Neal's current GAW shiplist? Did I miss a staff meeting? If I remember correctly, Bonk's shiplist and the Fleetdock13 models to support it are over 100MB!! Ouch for us 56kers!

Finally, where are the links agin to the latest GAW Beta? We have a few requests looking for the Taldren GAW stuff and DarkMatrix's corrected versions of some of the models.

Qapla!

KF

Rod O'neal

« Reply #299 on: February 15, 2004, 11:30:37 pm »
Quote:

Am I reading correctly that Bonk's shiplist is ursurping Rod O' Neal's current GAW shiplist? Did I miss a staff meeting? If I remember correctly, Bonk's shiplist and the Fleetdock13 models to support it are over 100MB!! Ouch for us 56kers!

Nope. Seperate mods.

Quote:

Finally, where are the links agin to the latest GAW Beta?

I'll e-mail you the link. First I have to find it though. I had it saved on my PC and had to reinstall my browser and lost it. It should be in my ftp software though. (I hope )