Topic: Galaxies at War (The mod)  (Read 30487 times)

Rod O'neal

Re: Logo Concepts
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2003, 11:14:16 am »
Quote:

I believe we've found ways around this. It's possible to have fighters and PF's for every race, and it's possible to get more than 4 PF's on 1 ship. (Through various means)  

Getting more than 4 SatShips on 1 Mother Ship is a bit too buggy IMO. The only way that I know how to do it is by having SatShips carry SatShips in them. There are a few "wierd features" that come with that though. 1, If the carrier SatShip is destroyed then the SatShip that it launched is destroyed as well. 2, If the SatShip that was launched by the carrier SatShip is destroyed the player can land the carrier Sat and when it's relaunched, it'll have the destroyed SatShip replaced. Unless somebody knows some other way of doing it I think that we should just work within the 4 SatShip/PF limit myself. It's not really too big of a deal.

I've also removed engine doubling on specific pirate ships before. In my game, for example, the captured Klingon ships used by the House of Korgath and the Empires PFs used by the Pirate Cartels. Neither of which should be able to use engine doubling. I haven't tried it for every ship in an entire Cartel yet, but it should work fine. That way there we should be able to keep engine doubling for the 2 pirate slots but not elsewhere where it shouldn't be.  

Mog

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Quote:

I believe we've found ways around this. It's possible to have fighters and PF's for every race, and it's possible to get more than 4 PF's on 1 ship. (Through various means)  

I'm aware of the methods (i have been around a bit in this community and have experimented with Andros myself), but I suppose I was looking at it from a D2 point of view, not single player (I know the fighter/pf thing works in that), as I don't play single player.

Stylsy

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2003, 01:21:00 pm »
OK, I've set up a forum on my server for the development team so we can spread out discussions and keep all the work sorted.

Could everyone on the development team (not beta testers yet) please e-mail me at mail@stylsy.co.uk with your Taldren username and position on the team, and then I'll send you the address of the forum so you can sign up.

Desty_Nova

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2003, 01:58:49 pm »
Cool, we're gonna have our own forum.

I sent off my info, btw.

DarkMatrix

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2003, 12:01:50 am »
Tholians fleet is now done

may i say may add few more in by hollies.j.wood if kf keeps bugging me lol

DM

Reverend

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2003, 12:08:46 am »
Wow... thats something... thank you for the catch-up Desty Nova!

Beautiful finish Darkmatirx on those Tholians...

So.... what sort of SFC2 weapons would the Andromedeans have, and what would make them a superior enemy, as oppose to anyother enemy Id' encounter while playing?  

DarkMatrix

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2003, 01:09:27 am »
The Orion Pirates Pca gets new lick of paint
after some nice people told me how to resize textures bigger and to make them look better they now 512x512

added torp tubes as well to the front

DM
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 01:10:36 am by DarkMatrix »

DarkMatrix

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2003, 01:39:00 am »
to the GAWTM team add [image] http://homepage.ntlworld.com/starfade/GAWSIG.jpg [/image] to your sigs in the control panel you have the sig like me if you like too

[image]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/starfade/GAWSIG.jpg[/image]

DM
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 01:40:10 am by DarkMatrix »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2003, 01:49:41 am »
Pretty cool! Thanks a lot. I like the Andy ship added.  

Desty_Nova

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2003, 02:10:47 am »
Thank you Darkmatrix! I believe this mod is going somewhere great.

And I like the sig.

Crimmy

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2003, 02:11:45 am »
This looks GREAT!...cant wait....

Any chance of using something like Rod's PF/fighter mod or OP+ as a base line and adding to it?

Just wondering.

Desty_Nova

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2003, 02:37:25 am »
Quote:

Wow... thats something... thank you for the catch-up Desty Nova!

Beautiful finish Darkmatirx on those Tholians...

So.... what sort of SFC2 weapons would the Andromedeans have, and what would make them a superior enemy, as oppose to anyother enemy Id' encounter while playing?  

Well, TR beams are flat-out the best weapon in the game, first of all. They basically work like phasers, but their range and damage is extremely good. Plus, they practically have a built-in automatic overload function with the way their damage numbers jump at range 8.

They are incredibly tough to kill. An Andromedan ship can easily take over twice the damage that a galactic ship can before it starts taking internals. Not to mention PA panels can effectively 'regenerate' much faster than shields can be repaired. I played a game against a Dominator once where it did 'stupid panel tricks' and sloughed off 60 DAMAGE. It was horrible.

There's also the displacement device(we won't have that, unfortunately:(). The displacement device is an incredibly powerful tool. It can be used for self displacement or to toss around enemey ships. Enemy formations can be disrupted and enemy ships can be brought into point blank range where they are gutted by TR beams. Plus, displacement disrupts the active fire control of the displaced unit, so it can't shoot back. When used for self-displacement, it can allow an Andro to get much closer than you want them to. It can also allow them to jump out of range after a battle pass before you can effectively answer back. The displacement device also allows the Andro to outrun fast drones and plasma torpedoes, something no other ships can do. And if things aren't looking so great, it allow the Andro to escape quite easily, to return another day...

Then there's satellite ships. An Andro cruiser is bad, but things only get much worse when it suddenly launches 3 destroyer-sized ships at you.

I'd say all these things make them slightly more than the average enemy.

Desty_Nova

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2003, 02:46:57 am »
Quote:

This looks GREAT!...cant wait....

Any chance of using something like Rod's PF/fighter mod or OP+ as a base line and adding to it?

Just wondering.  

Hey! Guess what! That's exactly what we're doing! You win a cookie.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2003, 05:38:16 am »
BUMP

Just showing my support.

DarkMatrix, nice take on the pirates and the Logo.

I wish to recommend adding to one pirate group the Sortrex as the PFF, Cleeve's merchantman (monarch) andhis Merchantman2000, the wanderer and the Orion Lightening.

Desty_Nova, thank you for all this detail on the Andromedans. Care to reconcile the KA Tholians with SFB ones?

Rod O' Neal, EXACTLY what cartel slots are being used by the races in the shiplist? Do you want me to fix the aastrings file?

Qapla!

KF

« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 05:43:05 am by Klingon Fanatic »

Desty_Nova

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2003, 06:32:41 am »
Quote:

BUMP

Desty_Nova, thank you for all this detail on the Andromedans. Care to reconcile the KA Tholians with SFB ones?

I could try. However, I've never played Klingon Academy, so you'll have to tell me what their story is.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2003, 07:16:50 am »
Quote:

Quote:

BUMP

I could try. However, I've never played Klingon Academy, so you'll have to tell me what their story is.  

In Klingon Academy, I believe the assumption is that the Tholians have always been where they are, as in TOS episode The Tholian Web. As for reconciling them with SFB Tholians, we'd need to either bend the rules abit and say the Tholians in late TMP times are capable of making new ship classes (with or without new technologies) or perhaps suggest that the KA Tholians are in fact a second wave of Tholians that arrive. The SFB gurus can handle the historic implications of that.

I did note that the Andromedan  Dominator appears in 2284, so I assume a second Andromedan Invasion would have to occur after Operation Unity in very late TMP/early TNG  times. Doh!

KF

Desty_Nova

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2003, 08:12:23 am »
[quote

In Klingon Academy, I believe the assumption is that the Tholians have always been where they are, as in TOS episode The Tholian Web. As for reconciling them with SFB Tholians, we'd need to either bend the rules abit and say the Tholians in late TMP times are capable of making new ship classes (with or without new technologies) or perhaps suggest that the KA Tholians are in fact a second wave of Tholians that arrive. The SFB gurus can handle the historic implications of that.

I did note that the Andromedan  Dominator appears in 2284, so I assume a second Andromedan Invasion would have to occur after Operation Unity in very late TMP/early TNG  times. Doh!

KF  

I think we should keep the Tholians extra-galactics, as it helps keep with the whole galaxies at war theme. Plus, if we lose that angle, the Seltorians kind of become moot. Anyway, here's what I got:

After the Tholians were ousted from their home galaxy, many different groups of them rushed off in different directions, hoping to evade the Seltorians, and searching for new homelands. The Tholians that arrived in our galaxy with the Dyson Sphere were originally police forces that operated tiny patrol vessels and had no real knowledge of designing efficient new starships. The best they could do was take exisiting Patrol Corvette hulls and weld them together to produce larger and more durable ships. This approach produced ships that were generally inferior to comparable hulls of other races.

The Tholian Will in the home galaxy also possessed a real military, obviously, with battle fleets not unlike the ones found in the Milky Way. One such fleet, the Tholian 312th Battle Fleet, survived the Seltorian revolution had wandered the universe for hundreds of years, picking up other surviving Tholian ships and eventually finding their way to the Holdfast in our galaxy. They arrived with real warships, vastly superior to the diminutive PC's the Holdfast fielded. The 312th arrived not a moment too soo, as well, as the Klingons and Romulans were preparing to launch Operation Nutcracker: a final, climactic drive into the Holdfast to destroy it permanently and open a direct route between the Klingon and Romulan Empires. The Operation Nutcracker fleet was taken completely off guard by these new Tholian ships with their powerful and unknown Webcaster technology. Operation Nutcracker was a disastrous failure, and Klingon/Romulan relations after that were never really good, as each side blamed the other for the failure of the operation.  

After that, the Tholian 312th helped keep the Holdfast much more secure than it ever was before, and even the concerted Seltorian effort to destroy them posed little real threat.

After the Andromedan invasion and as the universe began to calm down (at least until the Trade Wars and Xorkellian Invasion) the Tholians and Neo-Tholians could have begun working together to reverse-engineer their existing technology in an effort to design new warships that could keep up with the steady advances in technology. Especially with the Xork Invasion coming in the X2 era, the Tholians would need new second generation X-ships to survive like evrbody else, so I could see Tholians creating new ships.

Anyway I'm tired, I'm goin' to bed. Hope this helps.

Pataflafla

Re: New Texturer?
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2003, 08:41:38 am »
Just thought I'd poke my head in here and say hi. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet, but I'll get up to
speed ASAP.
I guess I'm a new member of the team. I've volunteered to do Kreearg's Mirak fleet. I didn't realize these models were a part
of a huge, organized mod effort........but I'm cool with that!!!
Desty told me to put the GaW logo in my sig, so I guess that means I'm onboard. I'll have my hands full with the Mirak fleet
for a little while, but will help with other things as I can.

I've been away from the community for about 6 months, so for those that don't know me........I'm basically a texturer and a bit
of a kitbasher. I have the fundamental skills to mesh, just not the imagination. I can also do hp/dp, make break models and
equip models with LOD"S. I don't know anything about SFC III modding...........yet.
I've had a site up on the Nightsoft server for about a year now where you can check out my previous retextures and stuff.

Gotta get back to those Miraks.

DarkMatrix

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2003, 09:39:43 am »
Quote:

OK, I've set up a forum on my server for the development team so we can spread out discussions and keep all the work sorted.

Could everyone on the development team (not beta testers yet) please e-mail me at mail@stylsy.co.uk with your Taldren username and position on the team, and then I'll send you the address of the forum so you can sign up.

guys go and sign up over at the new message board please

DM

Toasty0

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2003, 10:49:13 am »
DM--

May I use your sig image  
on my site http://www.toasty0.com ?

Thanks,
Jerry