Topic: Athabaska Class  (Read 19811 times)

Bernard Guignard

Re: Athabaska Class
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 06:11:11 pm »
Here you go,
 by the way the people who published starfleet Dynamics are the same people who did Starfleet Prototype
Guam class through deck carrier

Hippocartes class medical frigate

Kestral class super scout

Warlord Class heavy destroyer

Thunderbolt class fast destroyer

Clark Class Clipper

Acension Class Dreadnought
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/dreadnaught_ascension.jpg
S'harien Class Battle cruiser
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/battlecruiser_sharien.jpg
Asmodeus Class Corvette
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/corvette_asmodeus.jpg

The only ship that I can't finda schematic for is the Rickover Class Fast frigate but imagine a Reliant class
with a 3rd warp nacelle in the middle but that nacelle is placed slightly lower and slightly back of the nacelles
on the side say 2 to 3 meters. Enjoy  

atheorhaven

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 08:31:44 pm »
I actually met David Schmidt (the gentleman that did Starfleet Dynamics) at a con many years back and talked to him for a bit about the book.  If I remember correctly, he put it all together on a Mac using Quark.

And the Kestral was named after one of the local Vancouver Star Trek fan groups at the time, the U.S.S. Kestral...

Azel

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 09:15:51 pm »
Dude you met him???
Awesome!!!!  

atheorhaven

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 11:35:30 pm »
Dude, you're just easily impressed.. (grin)  

Yup, I met him.. he was wearing a TMP uniform (command) at the time, and is probably now in his mid-thirties.  Brown hair, looked the part of the Feddie ensign he was playing at the time.  Nice guy, fan like us, and was hoping at the time that his new book was going to do well.  The copy I had was brown, but I think it went walkabout during one of my many moves since..

And to give you an idea how much I was into the fan scene at that time, I even had Frank Garcia in my living room once for a season premiere of TNG..

(If you don't know who Frank is, do a Google search and you should find him quite easily)...

But I like to think I'm reformed now.. (grin)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:39:28 pm by atheorhaven »

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 04:48:55 am »
Quote:

Dude, you're just easily impressed.. (grin)  

Yup, I met him.. he was wearing a TMP uniform (command) at the time, and is probably now in his mid-thirties.  Brown hair, looked the part of the Feddie ensign he was playing at the time.  Nice guy, fan like us, and was hoping at the time that his new book was going to do well.  The copy I had was brown, but I think it went walkabout during one of my many moves since..

And to give you an idea how much I was into the fan scene at that time, I even had Frank Garcia in my living room once for a season premiere of TNG..

(If you don't know who Frank is, do a Google search and you should find him quite easily)...

But I like to think I'm reformed now.. (grin)

Neat  My fan memory was having Eric Kristansen aka Jackill's put a phone call to me about 10 years ago asking for TreknoGraphx material that I had in my catalog at the time.  We had a nice 10 or 15 minute conversation.    

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2004, 05:15:23 am »
Are there any  modelers who'd like to try thier hand at  KItbashing together  the Athabaska class? Actually might be nice to get a tos version of this one made from a decatur class also.    

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 03:24:35 pm »
Quote:

Are there any  modelers who'd like to try thier hand at  KItbashing together  the Athabaska class? Actually might be nice to get a tos version of this one made from a decatur class also.    

I'll do it, I am returning from my 3 month sabbatical, and this would be a cool ship to do along with the others I am working on.  You have a pic of the Decatur ship?  I just rebuilt my hard drive and installed Max again last night.  I don't rmember what that ship looks like.

Kaenyne

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 03:32:05 pm »
Hey Rogue!

Nice to have you back in action!

You've been missed.

Your ships have permanent spots in my Fed fleet!

Chrystoff

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 03:47:51 pm »
Quote:

I'll do it, I am returning from my 3 month sabbatical, and this would be a cool ship to do along with the others I am working on.  You have a pic of the Decatur ship?  I just rebuilt my hard drive and installed Max again last night.  I don't rmember what that ship looks like.  

Welcome back, Rogue! After the awsome job you did on the Rogue Class Battle Cruiser, I can hardly wait to see what you can do with the Athabaska. This is great news!  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 07:48:14 pm »
Hi Rogue
    Nice to see you back. The top ship is the version I'm talking about.  I figure that if you make a tos and TMP version then we have a GSC and GSC+ taken care of. Theres a SFC version of all the ships existing except for a tos version of a Knox class frigate

Thanks so very much looking forward to seeing the results.  

ganymad

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 08:01:47 pm »
whats the difference between the decatur and the belknap class? very nice design but wheres the difference?

Marauth

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 09:51:57 pm »
Just going by the side view the operational (TMP) version has a deeper saucer section and a phase II bridge module whereas the Belknap has the standard Enterprise/Connie-II class saucer and bridge module.

Obviously the TOS version is more popular as it's actually noticeably different from the Belknap.

atheorhaven

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2004, 04:25:10 am »
Bernard, is this kind of what you're looking for for a TOS version?

Just have to change the registries and maybe lower the saucer a bit and it's complete... that is, if it's needed..

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2004, 07:13:57 am »
Hi Alec
    Close but the primary hull has to be shortened see the following schematic on the knox class for reference as to primary hull length. Great work that could become a class onto its self.

and the secondary hull could be Anduril's Decatur that he made.  
 Great work that could become a class onto its self.  

Marauth

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2004, 10:15:05 am »
Actually FYI the Surya is the shortened version of the Coventry class and therefore really should have been the predeccessor to the Knox with the Coventry becoming the Miranda however whoever wrote that particular manual those 3 come from decided to switch the names round on the TOS versions

It'd make much more sense if we simply switched the names round so the Surya becomes the larger cruiser sized vessel that can become the Miranda while the Coventry becomes the small frigate sized vessel which then becomes the Knox. Oh well.

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 01:36:17 pm »
Check my latest post.  For an update
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Rogue NineCH »

Chrystoff

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 02:16:33 pm »
Yes, yes, yes!! That looks great! I hope you won't mind this question: Will you be fixing the neck so that it blends into the primary hull? Currently, there is a "notch" or "step" before the neck melds with the primary hull. Otherwise, it looks superb. Absolutely superb!  

atheorhaven

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 04:52:46 pm »
More like this then?

Top view

Original

Now

Left view

Original

Now

atheorhaven

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 04:56:22 pm »
Looking pretty good... we might be doing releases on these at almost the same time.  

TOS and TMP versions done independantly of each other and completing almost at the same time would be about right for this forum.. (grin)

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 05:25:46 pm »
hi Rogue
    A great start but the primary hull is too large the Athabaska uses the  Knox class frigate primary hull which is shorter
other than that its looking really good.