Topic: Athabaska Class  (Read 19823 times)

Bernard Guignard

Athabaska Class
« on: January 06, 2004, 10:50:15 am »
Does any one know if someone modeled an Athabaska class Cruiser?
its a Knox class frigate hull mated to a Belknap Class Secondary hull.

if so could you send it my way Thanks.  

DonKarnage

Re: Athabaska Class
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 02:18:53 pm »
i try to make it with milkshape but it keep freezing when i merge the parts

Chrystoff

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 03:14:17 pm »
Quote:

Does any one know if someone modeled an Athabaska class Cruiser?
its a Knox class frigate hull mated to a Belknap Class Secondary hull.  

No one has done this one, to my knowledge. The Athabaska would make an excellent command or patrol cruiser. I'd love to see Atra or Mackie's take on this. (Hint, hint)  

Atra (I'm pretty certain it was Atra, with P81 inspiration) that did a really good Belknap and Ascension.  

Terradyhne

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 03:15:39 pm »
this would be no problem for me to make but then its not that high poly  

Core

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 03:28:40 pm »
no not a soul from wht ive seen
but then again i may be wrong

Azel

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 09:34:54 pm »
I love that one
but a nice easy bash
is this torpedo cruiser/drone cruise

I love this one...she can use a bit of artistic touch ups

DonKarnage

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 10:21:33 pm »
where do you get this pics?

Fury_of_a_Seraph

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 10:47:04 pm »
Quote:

I love that one
but a nice easy bash

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
MUNCHKIN-BATE!!!!

Terradyhne

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 03:27:54 am »
Quote:

I love that one
but a nice easy bash

man how would this navigate and  hit anything without a sensor dome at the bottom of the saucer ??  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2004, 05:01:16 am »
Quote:

Hi Don
The pics are from the Starship Schematic Database but something tells me you knew that already

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 05:04:12 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I love that one
but a nice easy bash

man how would this navigate and  hit anything without a sensor dome at the bottom of the saucer ??  

Hi Terradyhne
     how would you fire all those photon torpedoes. with only one warp engine this ship must be all AWR in the secondary hull in order to fire her torpedos according to SFB  

Chrystoff

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 05:19:28 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I love that one
but a nice easy bash

Hi Terradyhne
     how would you fire all those photon torpedoes. with only one warp engine this ship must be all AWR in the secondary hull in order to fire her torpedos according to SFB

Not to mention the fact that the neck would break from firing all those torps. It's like a disposable torpedo ship.    

DonKarnage

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 09:11:36 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Don
The pics are from the Starship Schematic Database but something tells me you knew that already

i know that but is it a book or a wep page?, if its from a book can you show all the stuff inside it?

must have more cool ship  

jayvt3

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 09:24:01 am »
  The Athabaska is a relly neat design.  I agree it could be a good CC cruiser but with the NCA styled upper I think we got ourselves a fast and fomidable strike carrier.  
 The drone/torp cruiser is really not a practical design.  On a good note I hear that this is the favorite type of ship in the Federation for advesaries to encounter.  Something about the nice fireworks it makes as it blows apart after trying to do an ALPHA strike.    

Core

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 11:31:28 am »
what abult smooting the neck and the drive tugether miking it more streem like this  
its a very raged draft sense i dont use the pc for my stuf
 i use the good old fashond pencel and paper but that will not be posible for me to do without a printer
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Core »

Azel

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 01:54:14 pm »
 [image]http://www.geocities.com/mike_levin1/segjestion.html[/image]

DUDE!!!
I lOVE yours even more!!!
Its an even better Idea

As for the other Missile cruiser(the first one) I did say it needed some work
But the single nacelle option makes her Sleek as all hell

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 05:34:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Don

i know that but is it a book or a wep page?, if its from a book can you show all the stuff inside it?

must have more cool ship    

Sorry I misunderstood the Athabaska Class is featured in the book StarFleet Dynamics that also had the Guam
Thru-Deck cruiser and a couple of other designs.  

DonKarnage

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 07:29:49 pm »
show us more ALL of them so we can try to make them, if there good enough  

Azel

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004, 07:38:31 pm »

Quote:

show us more ALL of them so we can try to make them, if there good enough  

Aye mate...I'd like to see please...I can always use some ideas

Core

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 08:54:27 am »
yes man show them please  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 06:11:11 pm »
Here you go,
 by the way the people who published starfleet Dynamics are the same people who did Starfleet Prototype
Guam class through deck carrier

Hippocartes class medical frigate

Kestral class super scout

Warlord Class heavy destroyer

Thunderbolt class fast destroyer

Clark Class Clipper

Acension Class Dreadnought
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/dreadnaught_ascension.jpg
S'harien Class Battle cruiser
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/battlecruiser_sharien.jpg
Asmodeus Class Corvette
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/corvette_asmodeus.jpg

The only ship that I can't finda schematic for is the Rickover Class Fast frigate but imagine a Reliant class
with a 3rd warp nacelle in the middle but that nacelle is placed slightly lower and slightly back of the nacelles
on the side say 2 to 3 meters. Enjoy  

atheorhaven

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 08:31:44 pm »
I actually met David Schmidt (the gentleman that did Starfleet Dynamics) at a con many years back and talked to him for a bit about the book.  If I remember correctly, he put it all together on a Mac using Quark.

And the Kestral was named after one of the local Vancouver Star Trek fan groups at the time, the U.S.S. Kestral...

Azel

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 09:15:51 pm »
Dude you met him???
Awesome!!!!  

atheorhaven

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2004, 11:35:30 pm »
Dude, you're just easily impressed.. (grin)  

Yup, I met him.. he was wearing a TMP uniform (command) at the time, and is probably now in his mid-thirties.  Brown hair, looked the part of the Feddie ensign he was playing at the time.  Nice guy, fan like us, and was hoping at the time that his new book was going to do well.  The copy I had was brown, but I think it went walkabout during one of my many moves since..

And to give you an idea how much I was into the fan scene at that time, I even had Frank Garcia in my living room once for a season premiere of TNG..

(If you don't know who Frank is, do a Google search and you should find him quite easily)...

But I like to think I'm reformed now.. (grin)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:39:28 pm by atheorhaven »

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 04:48:55 am »
Quote:

Dude, you're just easily impressed.. (grin)  

Yup, I met him.. he was wearing a TMP uniform (command) at the time, and is probably now in his mid-thirties.  Brown hair, looked the part of the Feddie ensign he was playing at the time.  Nice guy, fan like us, and was hoping at the time that his new book was going to do well.  The copy I had was brown, but I think it went walkabout during one of my many moves since..

And to give you an idea how much I was into the fan scene at that time, I even had Frank Garcia in my living room once for a season premiere of TNG..

(If you don't know who Frank is, do a Google search and you should find him quite easily)...

But I like to think I'm reformed now.. (grin)

Neat  My fan memory was having Eric Kristansen aka Jackill's put a phone call to me about 10 years ago asking for TreknoGraphx material that I had in my catalog at the time.  We had a nice 10 or 15 minute conversation.    

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2004, 05:15:23 am »
Are there any  modelers who'd like to try thier hand at  KItbashing together  the Athabaska class? Actually might be nice to get a tos version of this one made from a decatur class also.    

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 03:24:35 pm »
Quote:

Are there any  modelers who'd like to try thier hand at  KItbashing together  the Athabaska class? Actually might be nice to get a tos version of this one made from a decatur class also.    

I'll do it, I am returning from my 3 month sabbatical, and this would be a cool ship to do along with the others I am working on.  You have a pic of the Decatur ship?  I just rebuilt my hard drive and installed Max again last night.  I don't rmember what that ship looks like.

Kaenyne

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 03:32:05 pm »
Hey Rogue!

Nice to have you back in action!

You've been missed.

Your ships have permanent spots in my Fed fleet!

Chrystoff

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 03:47:51 pm »
Quote:

I'll do it, I am returning from my 3 month sabbatical, and this would be a cool ship to do along with the others I am working on.  You have a pic of the Decatur ship?  I just rebuilt my hard drive and installed Max again last night.  I don't rmember what that ship looks like.  

Welcome back, Rogue! After the awsome job you did on the Rogue Class Battle Cruiser, I can hardly wait to see what you can do with the Athabaska. This is great news!  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 07:48:14 pm »
Hi Rogue
    Nice to see you back. The top ship is the version I'm talking about.  I figure that if you make a tos and TMP version then we have a GSC and GSC+ taken care of. Theres a SFC version of all the ships existing except for a tos version of a Knox class frigate

Thanks so very much looking forward to seeing the results.  

ganymad

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 08:01:47 pm »
whats the difference between the decatur and the belknap class? very nice design but wheres the difference?

Marauth

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 09:51:57 pm »
Just going by the side view the operational (TMP) version has a deeper saucer section and a phase II bridge module whereas the Belknap has the standard Enterprise/Connie-II class saucer and bridge module.

Obviously the TOS version is more popular as it's actually noticeably different from the Belknap.

atheorhaven

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2004, 04:25:10 am »
Bernard, is this kind of what you're looking for for a TOS version?

Just have to change the registries and maybe lower the saucer a bit and it's complete... that is, if it's needed..

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2004, 07:13:57 am »
Hi Alec
    Close but the primary hull has to be shortened see the following schematic on the knox class for reference as to primary hull length. Great work that could become a class onto its self.

and the secondary hull could be Anduril's Decatur that he made.  
 Great work that could become a class onto its self.  

Marauth

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2004, 10:15:05 am »
Actually FYI the Surya is the shortened version of the Coventry class and therefore really should have been the predeccessor to the Knox with the Coventry becoming the Miranda however whoever wrote that particular manual those 3 come from decided to switch the names round on the TOS versions

It'd make much more sense if we simply switched the names round so the Surya becomes the larger cruiser sized vessel that can become the Miranda while the Coventry becomes the small frigate sized vessel which then becomes the Knox. Oh well.

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 01:36:17 pm »
Check my latest post.  For an update
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Rogue NineCH »

Chrystoff

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 02:16:33 pm »
Yes, yes, yes!! That looks great! I hope you won't mind this question: Will you be fixing the neck so that it blends into the primary hull? Currently, there is a "notch" or "step" before the neck melds with the primary hull. Otherwise, it looks superb. Absolutely superb!  

atheorhaven

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 04:52:46 pm »
More like this then?

Top view

Original

Now

Left view

Original

Now

atheorhaven

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 04:56:22 pm »
Looking pretty good... we might be doing releases on these at almost the same time.  

TOS and TMP versions done independantly of each other and completing almost at the same time would be about right for this forum.. (grin)

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 05:25:46 pm »
hi Rogue
    A great start but the primary hull is too large the Athabaska uses the  Knox class frigate primary hull which is shorter
other than that its looking really good.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2004, 05:55:08 pm »
Chrystoff : This is only a rough WIP, the notch will be fixed before final release.

atheorhaven:  That would be cool wouldn't it?  Let me know when yours is ready and I releae the Athatbaska then.

Bernard Guignard:  I forgot I scaled the hull up a bit for my Renown class, about the shorter hull, do know of any ships that have that so I can get a good idea of what to do?

Thatnks everyone for your comments, I appreciate it.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2004, 06:29:14 pm »
Hi Rogue
    I just emailed you the Knox class frigate created by P81 it has the proper saucer dimensions for for converting to an Athabaska class primary hull it could use updated texture job    

Azel

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2004, 06:33:03 pm »
Damn Fine work man!!!!

So would it be too far out of line if I was to ask if you would bash that Geraldo missile cruiser
with mods

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2004, 03:36:38 am »
BG:  Ok, I see what you are talking about, I can fix that.

Azel:  Haven't seen that ship so if you have any pics or tell me where I can find it, I'll see what I can do.

atheorhaven

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2004, 02:16:10 am »
Sounds good to me Rogue.. just waiting for feedback on the TOS ship from Bernard.. (waiting patiently actually).. the latest shots posted show the shortened primary hull, lowered primary hull on the neck, and where things are now...

In the meantime, keeping busy by trying to fix the smoothing issues on my Red Dwarf so I can finally release her, and working on another ship for Nanner, plus thinking on how to do the k/b for the Yamato..

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2004, 05:54:59 pm »
Quote:

Sounds good to me Rogue.. just waiting for feedback on the TOS ship from Bernard.. (waiting patiently actually).. the latest shots posted show the shortened primary hull, lowered primary hull on the neck, and where things are now...

In the meantime, keeping busy by trying to fix the smoothing issues on my Red Dwarf so I can finally release her, and working on another ship for Nanner, plus thinking on how to do the k/b for the Yamato..  

Hi Alec
    Been a little busy with Banting matters and my temp work. The primary hull looks great .
The Secondary hull has to change. I'll email you Anduril's decatur.  The secondary hull from the decatur as its shown in concept. would be right for an early Athabaska class.    

atheorhaven

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2004, 03:40:49 am »
Quote:

Hi Alec
    Been a little busy with Banting matters and my temp work. The primary hull looks great .
The Secondary hull has to change. I'll email you Anduril's decatur.  The secondary hull from the decatur as its shown in concept. would be right for an early Athabaska class.    

np Bernard..

Got the Decatur in email and pulled out the lower hull, neck, and pylons.  Kept Lord Schtupp's warp engines (and of course the primary hull) for ease of registries and to reduce the number of components using 256x256 textures.  

So once I got the primary saucer positioned on the neck from the Decatur so it wasn't too far forward, I got this:

Once the textures are color-matched a bit better between Anduril's textures and Lord Schtupp;s and I attempt to fudge the 256x256 textures up to 512s it should look pretty good.  So what do you think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by atheorhaven »

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2004, 06:02:27 pm »
hi Alec
    Much better.    I think the primary hull has to be raised up and forward say equal to what the Decatur primary hull looks like in the drawing on page 2 of this thread that I posted. Currently its looking a little squashed.  Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to work on this. I appreciate what you and Rogue are doing on these projects.

I'll see what  I can whip up for a ship's development logo.

Thanks again guys  

atheorhaven

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2004, 06:54:30 pm »
Quote:

hi Alec
    Much better.    I think the primary hull has to be raised up and forward say equal to what the Decatur primary hull looks like in the drawing on page 2 of this thread that I posted. Currently its looking a little squashed.  Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to work on this. I appreciate what you and Rogue are doing on these projects.
I'll see what  I can whip up for a ship's development logo.    

I'll do what I can with it, but it'll probably involve moving the neck forward because if the primary hull moves much more forward on the neck, the top of the neck will be showing.  

But I'll try to match it if I can..

atheorhaven

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2004, 10:39:45 pm »
Okay, here's what I was able to do... and it looks all right I think..

Looks like the only thing now is to pull back the deflector and the mesh is done..

Then it's textures, which means that I need the registry number for the Athabasca now..

(edit: color matched the textures between Anduril's Decatur and Lord Schtupp's Connie now as well.. so it's just the registry numbers left)..
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:02:20 pm by atheorhaven »

Chrystoff

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2004, 10:58:48 pm »
Atheorhaven, I think you've done a terrific job. Nothing more to be said.  

atheorhaven

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2004, 11:04:29 pm »
Thanks... it's nice though to have constructive ideas to build off.. this way when it's all done it should be pretty close to an accurate Athabasca Class instead of some other variant.  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2004, 04:44:36 am »
Hi Alec
    The final modifications look great   Registry for the Athabaska class is 2530.  looking forward to seeing the final results.    I think it will make a fine Galactic Survey Cruiser Room for fighters, labs and cargo.  

Kaenyne

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2004, 08:24:12 am »
Oh wow!

She's sweet!

atheorhaven

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2004, 08:59:12 am »
Hmmmm, 2530 for a reg number is going to be a bit high though for TOS stuff... would you mind if I bump 'er down to 1830 or somewhere in that range?  That should still put the registry somewhere in the TOS time period.  But you're the boss, if you want 2530 then it can also be 2530.  

Lord Schtupp

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2004, 09:11:03 am »
Interesting kitbash....

atheorhaven

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2004, 01:51:15 pm »
The question is.. do you like it?  

Just need to track down Anduril now and see if he would mind his ship being used in this way (and maybe see if he has some original 512s for it as well.. my 256 -> 512 bumped up textures don't look bad, but original 512s would look better).

If he's okay with it, and you are, then I'll release it.  

And I've finished two sets of registries for this one.. Bernard's original 2530 registry number for TMP "canon", and one lowered 500 to put it roughly into the range of the Surya and similar ships.. so it's looking like this now..

Will probably do two more small things to it, add some secondary hull lighting on that red flaggie thingie on the secondary hull so it's lit in lower light, and maybe slightly change the torpedo slots texture-wise just a little bit as well.

But other than that, it's done and ready to released as soon as I do up credits and track down Anduril.  

Marauth

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2004, 02:02:57 pm »
Erm, feel I should be the one to moan - 1830 is the registry of the USS Miranda.

As for it being too high at 2530 - the Ptolemy class starts at NCC-3801 and they didn't even get refitted to TMP era so there's no real issue with the ship being too old for it's registry.

Oh also it's Athabaska not Athabasca.

atheorhaven

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2004, 03:03:38 pm »
Quote:

Erm, feel I should be the one to moan - 1830 is the registry of the USS Miranda.

Oops... okay, the 1830 registry is gone then..

Quote:

As for it being too high at 2530 - the Ptolemy class starts at NCC-3801 and they didn't even get refitted to TMP era so there's no real issue with the ship being too old for it's registry.

Alrighty.. good point.. so it's just 2530 then.  

Quote:

Oh also it's Athabaska not Athabasca.  

Fixed now...

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2004, 07:43:36 pm »
Quote:

Hmmmm, 2530 for a reg number is going to be a bit high though for TOS stuff... would you mind if I bump 'er down to 1830 or somewhere in that range?  That should still put the registry somewhere in the TOS time period.  But you're the boss, if you want 2530 then it can also be 2530.    

Hi Alec
    I've got no problem with lowering the registry number the ship looks fantastic and I like it very much.  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2004, 07:46:53 pm »
lookd like the registry issue has been taken care of thanks guys   I knew I could count you guys

Chrystoff

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2004, 08:55:04 pm »
Quote:

The question is.. do you like it?    

That is one great looking ship! I can't wait to see it in action. All that is missing now is the TMP Version from Rogue Nine, which I am looking forward to with equal anticipation. I also wanted to say that Atheorhaven and Rogue Nine have been very open minded about accepting opinions and critisism. Thanks to you both.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2004, 03:14:59 am »
Sorry about the lack of updates, I ran into a 5' 4" wall, otherwise known as my lovely G/F who made it clear that this weekend is all about her.  Well she said "us", but we guys know better don't we?    Anyway, I'll have a few hours tomorrow to work on it, and I'll post an update then, or rather later today since I just noted the time.  Gotta go to bed, I'll check in later.

atheorhaven

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2004, 11:28:50 am »
Quote:

I also wanted to say that Atheorhaven and Rogue Nine have been very open minded about accepting opinions and critisism. Thanks to you both.    

It couldn't have been done properly otherwise.. I had no idea previously what an Athabaska looks like.  Now I do.  

Also gladly accepted the help of a "mystery texturer" on this one (though I think I sent him a WIP mesh instead of the cleaned up MOD, have to fix that) before I was going to release because he offered.  Trust me, you'll like the results as he's retexturing the 256s to make them 512s at least like the rest.    That's "mystery texturer" as in, I'm not telling who is doing it right now, but will for release and in the credits.  Not "uncredited shlemp whose work will go forever unnoticed and unacknowledged".  (grin)

And I got a great definition from a dream last night that I had to add in to my siggie... gotta love those.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 11:31:24 am by atheorhaven »

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2004, 05:47:20 pm »
I have run into some modeling problems with the Athatbaska, hence the lack of updates.  I will have some pics this week but it will take a couple of days at the minimum since the first half of the week is very busy for me.  I'll keep in touch and post my progress very soon.

Rogue NineCH

Re: Athabaska Class *DELETED*
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2004, 11:04:11 pm »
Post deleted by Rogue NineCH

Marauth

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2004, 11:58:08 pm »
Quote:

Ol, I fixed the modeling problems I was having and here is the latest version.

Someone wanna make a proper Knox hull for this guy? LOL Sorry but the squashed Miranda hull really bugs me - on the TOS version it's not so bad as the Surya isn't too big in the arse anyway but this really looks awful - I can even see holes on the underside where the mesh has been pushed out of shape. The Knox is not a compressed Miranda, the aft hull is actually severed just behind the pylons (which should not protrude below the top of the aft hull on the Athabaska and should point inwards) Also the back of the hull is a straight line perpendicular to the 'front' of the ship unlike the Miranda's aft hull which is angled. Oh and the Knox only has one shuttlebay and one sensor pallet - on the starboard side. The Hatfield class also follow that - it being the same ship but with a Constitution secondary hull.

Please don't interpret this as a flame against your work which is usually excellent. I just don't want to see this ship come out half-arsed. (or more accurately in this case one-and-a-half-arsed )

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2004, 05:58:36 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Ol, I fixed the modeling problems I was having and here is the latest version.

Someone wanna make a proper Knox hull for this guy? LOL Sorry but the squashed Miranda hull really bugs me - on the TOS version it's not so bad as the Surya isn't too big in the arse anyway but this really looks awful - I can even see holes on the underside where the mesh has been pushed out of shape. The Knox is not a compressed Miranda, the aft hull is actually severed just behind the pylons (which should not protrude below the top of the aft hull on the Athabaska and should point inwards) Also the back of the hull is a straight line perpendicular to the 'front' of the ship unlike the Miranda's aft hull which is angled. Oh and the Knox only has one shuttlebay and one sensor pallet - on the starboard side. The Hatfield class also follow that - it being the same ship but with a Constitution secondary hull.

Please don't interpret this as a flame against your work which is usually excellent. I just don't want to see this ship come out half-arsed. (or more accurately in this case one-and-a-half-arsed )  

Hi Lestat
   Actually the Knox as drawn in the Ships of the Starfleet has 2 shuttlebays as indicated by the hangar support systems on the top view.  The Knox that you are illustrating is from the Jackill's Books. A nice varient on the class, it should be mentioned that if you remove the megaphasers and add shuttle landing pads you have a Daran Class fast Frigate from Ships of the Starfleet Looking forward to seeing the final results  

Marauth

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2004, 01:10:03 am »

This the Daran ofcourse is a variant of the Knox you mention from SOTSF however I couldn't find on the ship schematics site a Knox from SOTSF, there is this one:

which is from something called 'Starship Design ---- Interstellar Forum for Naval Power' though it seems to be the one from SOTSF. You'll forgive me if I stick with the Jackhill's version as it would take the engineers less time to leave the pylons and nacelles where they are than to move them about. Plus IMO it's nicer to look at LOL

Even so the point stands that the Knox is quite different from the Miranda and is you can't just squash the back end of a Miranda and call it a Knox.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2004, 04:55:32 am »
HI Lestat
The people who did Starship Design did Ships of the Starfleet It is the same design that you've illustrated under the Daran class fast frigate. I agree with your point that you can't squash the rear of a miranda and call it a Knox.    

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2004, 04:18:32 pm »
I posted the WIPs (That means Work in Progress) the other day, and I think certain people thought I was posting the Final product and proceeded to tear it to shreds.  I then took the pics down and contemplated what to do with this project.  Let me state again that I am NOT a modeler, nor have I claimed to be one.  I am a kitbasher, and I still have alot to learn.  If someone wants to "make this guy a knox", then please do so.  I will give you full credit in the readme.  

As for the problems of "holes" in the model, this is the reason I called it a WIP.  I am not finished with it.  I am well aware of what the knox looks like, and am pretty confident I can get very close if not dead on.  When my model is releaed if you want to nitpick at it, then fine.  Personally I think any of the ships I have done look fantastic considering only a few so far, and none of them look "half-assed".

If someone wants to offer their help I am more than help to take it, if not then feel free to make an Athabaska and I will have no problem with it.  I just want it clear that it can be done the way I am doing it.  I appreciate feedback, and even constructive criticism, but I do not appreciate my work being called "half-assed".  

Here are the pics I posted a couple of days ago, they are WIPs

Chrystoff

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2004, 04:50:57 pm »
Rogue, I can understand what you are saying, and I agree that "half-assed" may come off as insulting, even if that was not the intent. I noticed that you removed the pics, but kept my mouth shut. As I stated earlier, I appreciate the work you and Atheorhaven have done, and I think that both Athabaska's look great.  I have no moddeling skill at all, and very much respect all of the hard work everyone on this forum put into their respective pieces of art. I'm sure no one meant any insult to you, and I hope you don't allow this to push you away.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2004, 05:20:11 pm »
I'm too stubborn to let something like this push me away, I just had to vent and make my thoughts known.  If anything it's made more determined now to finish it.

Marauth

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2004, 06:49:01 pm »
Whoa dude - calm down a little, I meant those 'insults' in a comedic fashion especially the half-arsed remark. Just cause my sense of humour strikes a chord with some people I can't be expected to censor my posts just so no one could possibly take it in the wrong way.

I know the shots are WIP as you said as much in the post; but in my opinion the WIP stage is the best stage to offer criticism as once a model is finished and out there on the web it is less likely that a modeler will make alterations - I know this from my own work which I was very grateful that you hosted. I trust that you can create a Knox hull using your method but in your original post you never mentioned that you were going to completely rework the main hull in any way so I assumed you were going to take the same approach as with the TOS version recently released - that is simply squashing the aft of the hull in.

Please do not take my comments too seriously as it will only lead to further strife. In the spirit of friendship I will 'lay down my arms' and offer an appology.

L8r dudes, Lestat.

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2004, 08:06:41 pm »
Well I'm sorry I took it so personally, every day for the last two weeks, I have not ben able to get to sleep before 4am.  I have a miserable cold which has been keeping me up.  I tend to have a short fuse when I'm exhausted, my G/F can attest to that, I have been driving her crazy all week.  No harm done, TVL.    

Marauth

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2004, 10:14:53 pm »
Good to hear we're okay.

BTW Rogue - would you still consider hosting stuff that I made ages ago but never got round to sending you - like the drone cruiser, the two light carriers, the accurised Enterprise textures. Not to mention I've been a busy little vampire since and have come up with some other WZ inspired stuff. Also if you need any help with anything I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Though tragically I cannot as of yet 'make this guy a proper Knox' LOL Ashamed to admit but I am not a modeler and can't accomplish that task. In any case I hope you recover completely and soon.

yours, Lestat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The Vampire Lestat »

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2004, 12:41:53 am »
Sure send the ships my way and I'll host them.  I'll just have to take it easy and my cold will go away.  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2004, 05:28:05 am »
HI Rogue NineCH
    Did you get the Knox Class file that P81 created that I sent you? I didn't mean it as critisisim of your work but rather as an
attemp to provide you with some more tools to work with.  I do think that Rick's Knox could use one of your texture upgrades.  I hope you get over your cold quickly and keep up the great work I really appreciate your time and interest in this project.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2004, 01:17:54 pm »
I did get it, the only problem with using that ship, the model is warped in certain areas, of course it was one of his first.  Hisd third generation Miranda is much better suited for what I need.  It'll look like a Knox when I am done with it.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2004, 07:50:01 am »
Thanks for the information I never realized that it was warped.  Looking forward to seeing your version of a Knox class  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2004, 04:54:54 am »
Hows the TOS version of the Athabaska class coming along?  

atheorhaven

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2004, 03:37:33 pm »
Still waiting to hear back on the new textures from my mystery texturer.  But once I do, then it's ready for release (methinks... may be some mesh changes needed, dunno yet what all they've done)..

Just like Christmas..

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2004, 05:02:46 am »
Thanks for the information Alec Hi Rogue hows your tmp version of the Athabaska coming along?

Thanks for all your help in this matter    

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2004, 01:08:02 pm »
I have been really busy with work and my G/F to do any work on it this week, I will have some time to work on it tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2004, 05:51:05 am »
Bump  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2004, 05:02:01 am »
bumping for information please on both versions  
Thanks a lot guys  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2004, 07:44:51 pm »
I have put the Athatbaska on hold for a couple days, at first cause I was having some trouble with it, then because my cold came back in force and refuses to go away.  Right now I have been finishing a couple of small projects I have been meaning to get to, and will restart on the Athabaska next.  I'll have some WIPs next week.

atheorhaven

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2004, 08:56:28 pm »
And I'm still waiting for those textures to come back..

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2004, 05:03:37 am »
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it Rogue I hope that you start to feel better.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2004, 04:40:34 am »
Hi Guys
    Its been a couple of weeks and I'm wondering how things are progressing I know that you've all been busy with other projects so I don't try to bother you too much with this  

ModelsPlease

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2004, 06:09:33 am »
Would you believe what I found.Check this out:

U.S.S. PEACEKEEPER

Looks pretty close   ,if nothing else is cool to look at and who knows,maybe it has given one of you awesome modelers an idea or two for your own creations.Enjoy !
-MP  

VSFTie

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2004, 06:12:18 am »
ware did u find it i love the bay landing strips  

Chrystoff

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2004, 08:26:16 am »
Ah yes, the famed Starstalker class Patrol Cruiser. Who ever did this model did an excellent job.  

ModelsPlease

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2004, 04:01:35 pm »
I also have it for SFC II/OP but it's an old model and could use new texturing.The original builder says it's ok to modify,etc. as long as he is given credit for the original model. Anyone want to give it a facelift ? Give me an email address and I'll send it to you.You can never have too much variety
-MP  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2004, 05:07:51 pm »
The only starstalker I have is a low poly one I was hoping that eventually with all the nice Connie parts that we've seen come out recently some one would take on the task of creating a higher poly version . I agree its a very nice model he spent some major time working on it from the looks of her.      

DeltaAssault

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2004, 06:36:48 pm »
What exactly is the point of having ramps in space? Shuttlles don't need runway space. =)

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2004, 05:15:22 am »
Do the doors on the saucer shuttle bay on this star stalker model look a little narrow in height? perhaps a good reason
for having landing pads, tight clearances even with a tractor beam.    

ModelsPlease

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2004, 05:38:49 am »
Quote:

The only starstalker I have is a low poly one I was hoping that eventually with all the nice Connie parts that we've seen come out recently some one would take on the task of creating a higher poly version . I agree its a very nice model he spent some major time working on it from the looks of her.      

It's probably the same one I have Yes it's really cool,although it's not the Athabaska I thought it might inspire or as you stated perhaps someone will mod her (hint hint hint ) .Actually in my surfing of the web I have found some awesome physical models that would like great in SFC.Perhaps someday they will all make it there.
-MP

ModelsPlease

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2004, 04:04:05 am »
Quote:

I love that one
but a nice easy bash

That deflector idea I found would be perfect for this missilecruiser if anyone is going to kitbash this.  

atheorhaven

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2004, 05:59:59 pm »
Bernard, I still haven't heard back on those textures, and if I don't by the end of the week, I'll just release the Athabaska with the textures that I've done for it.  I'd have liked to have gotten these others back, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.  :/

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2004, 04:57:03 am »
Hi Alec
   Thanks for all the work you put into her and release her with your textures if the others come then we can upgrade
later.   I'm not in any real rush.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2004, 06:34:54 pm »
I have some bad news, a couple days ago I suffered a HD crash.  I had most of my stuff backed up so anything I lost was minimal, with the exception of the Athabaska and a Nelson Class Scout I was working on.  SO I have to start the whole thing over from scratch again, I am very sorry about this it seems like I have run into one delay after another with the ships I have been working on lately.  I'll keep plugging away at this ship and will get it done very soon.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2004, 07:08:03 pm »
Hi Rogue
    Sorry to read about your hard drive crash.   I'm Glad to read that you didn't lose much in the way of models. As far as the  Athabaska is concerned take your time and make us all proud   Wondering if you'd also be interested in trying your hand at a higher poly version of the StarStalker Class?  Any way Thanks for the work your did and are about to start again.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2004, 01:44:43 pm »
Quote:

Hi Rogue
    Sorry to read about your hard drive crash.   I'm Glad to read that you didn't lose much in the way of models. As far as the  Athabaska is concerned take your time and make us all proud   Wondering if you'd also be interested in trying your hand at a higher poly version of the StarStalker Class?  Any way Thanks for the work your did and are about to start again.  

You have a pic of that ship?

Azel

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2004, 02:04:58 pm »
here you go Rogue

From the www.shipschematics.net

Chrystoff

« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2004, 03:23:35 pm »

Mmmmmm...Torpedoes...ahhhhh...  

Anthony_Scott

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2004, 03:32:41 pm »
Now that is gonna be ALOT of torpedoes!  

Semper Fi, Carry On

ganymad

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2004, 04:32:47 pm »
the way i make my specs that ship would have 8 torpedoes when using the fara-arc.and 14 phasers type II as well as 2 phaser type1 - not too shabby for a heavy cruizer sized ship....whoooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo
..klingons beware

greatings,

ed

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2004, 06:05:32 pm »
Check out the model pictures earlier in this thread also  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2004, 09:00:51 am »
lets get this bumped for current information  

Chrystoff

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2004, 06:00:53 pm »
Does anyone know what's going on with this project? There was a TOS Athabaska that appear to be nearly complete, as well as a TMP version, also very nearly complete...  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2004, 11:30:53 am »
Well its been quite a while now I was wondering what was going on with regards to the ship? Both the TOS and TMP versions?  I've been busy with long hours at work but have not forgotten about you  and this thread I hope that every one is in good health and will be enjoying spring and hopefully the warm weather that comes with it.  Thanks for all your work on the models I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.    

yakaspat

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2004, 01:02:32 pm »
I actually completed an Athabaska Class, using a Belknap and Renown Class model (modified).  I think it looks pretty good.  Let me know your email address and I'll .ZIP it to you.  ;-)

-Lance

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2004, 01:12:43 pm »
Hi Lance
My email
is bguignard@rogers.com  put Athabaska class in the subject line I'm getting 200+ spam mails a day  
so I need a way to filter out the good messages.  

Chrystoff

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2004, 04:13:29 pm »
yakaspat, I don't suppose you'd mind copying me on that would you? Sorry to be a begger, but I'd love to see what you've done! My mailbox shoulsd be able to handle it.  

chrystoff@yahoo.com

Mariner

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2004, 04:23:47 pm »
how's about a third request?

marinerclass(@)hotmail.com

(Remove the "()" around the @ to mail it)

yakaspat

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2004, 07:14:12 pm »
Sure, no prob.  Please give me till tomorrow afternoon when I get home.  ;-)

-Lance

Chrystoff

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2004, 08:35:00 pm »
Thank You!  

ModelsPlease

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2004, 02:39:41 am »
Quote:

I actually completed an Athabaska Class, using a Belknap and Renown Class model (modified).  I think it looks pretty good.  Let me know your email address and I'll .ZIP it to you.  ;-)

-Lance  

I would like it as well please Lance . I'm pretty sure you know my email address by now  

-MP

ModelsPlease@aol.com

yakaspat

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2004, 11:00:57 am »
Email is on the way!!!!

-Lance    

yakaspat

« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2004, 11:15:52 am »
Due to my d*mn email server, you may have accidentally recieved more than one copy of the email.  

Chrystoff

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2004, 11:34:42 am »
That's okay, man...I'm just happy to be getting your model.  

yakaspat

« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2004, 11:51:02 am »
Not my model, I just reassembled some other models I downloaded!  Due sue me!  

Anyway, I'm having server problems, apparently I cannot send out any email attachments.  I'm trying to find an alternative route.  I'll keep you updated.  Sorry about the delay!!!

-Lance

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2004, 12:30:08 pm »
Hi Lance
   You can try up loading the model to the Starfleet model reposotory on the starfleet universe site
 Starfleet universe  and we can get the model from
there.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2004, 01:12:39 pm »
I can host it for you.  Just send it to my email.  Sorry everyone I got held up on this ship for so long, It has been a rough few months.  Now that things have settled down, I can get back to doing some ships.  I am out of town at the moment, but I will be back on Sunday, so it will be up on Monday night.

rogueninech@aol.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:15:31 pm by Rogue NineCH »

yakaspat

« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2004, 02:22:23 pm »
Models sent!

This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  My d*amn email server all flunks out on the weekend.  So, I opened a nice hotmail account.  New email address is yakaspat@hotmail.com, though my old address is still working, I just can't SEND attachments, only receive them.  Weird.

Oh, Mariner, your email address:

marinerclass@hotmail.com <marinerclass@hotmail.com>

Gave me some error messages about "invalid account".

Please let me know if you guys didn't get all three parts.  I'm still figuring out my new account.... heehee

-Lance

Chrystoff

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2004, 02:55:47 pm »
I got the model. Thank you very much for sending it, and I'm sorry to hear about all of the trouble that came up for you while you did it. Servers can be such a pain in the @$$!  

Mariner

« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2004, 03:43:49 pm »
I only got part three, with no attachment.

yakaspat

« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2004, 05:05:52 pm »
Drats!

I won't be home till tomorrow.  Email ModelsPlease and see if he can send Part 3 to you tonight.  Email me if he does.  Otherwise, I'll email it to you tomorrow.  Maybe one of the other dudes can email it to you, too.  Sorry!!!!

-Lance

atheorhaven

« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2004, 07:12:07 pm »
It's now finished.    See release thread for lovely pix..

yakaspat

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2004, 07:44:54 pm »
YIPPEE!!!!