Topic: Athabaska Class  (Read 19814 times)

Bernard Guignard

Re: Athabaska Class
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2004, 07:46:53 pm »
lookd like the registry issue has been taken care of thanks guys   I knew I could count you guys

Chrystoff

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2004, 08:55:04 pm »
Quote:

The question is.. do you like it?    

That is one great looking ship! I can't wait to see it in action. All that is missing now is the TMP Version from Rogue Nine, which I am looking forward to with equal anticipation. I also wanted to say that Atheorhaven and Rogue Nine have been very open minded about accepting opinions and critisism. Thanks to you both.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2004, 03:14:59 am »
Sorry about the lack of updates, I ran into a 5' 4" wall, otherwise known as my lovely G/F who made it clear that this weekend is all about her.  Well she said "us", but we guys know better don't we?    Anyway, I'll have a few hours tomorrow to work on it, and I'll post an update then, or rather later today since I just noted the time.  Gotta go to bed, I'll check in later.

atheorhaven

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2004, 11:28:50 am »
Quote:

I also wanted to say that Atheorhaven and Rogue Nine have been very open minded about accepting opinions and critisism. Thanks to you both.    

It couldn't have been done properly otherwise.. I had no idea previously what an Athabaska looks like.  Now I do.  

Also gladly accepted the help of a "mystery texturer" on this one (though I think I sent him a WIP mesh instead of the cleaned up MOD, have to fix that) before I was going to release because he offered.  Trust me, you'll like the results as he's retexturing the 256s to make them 512s at least like the rest.    That's "mystery texturer" as in, I'm not telling who is doing it right now, but will for release and in the credits.  Not "uncredited shlemp whose work will go forever unnoticed and unacknowledged".  (grin)

And I got a great definition from a dream last night that I had to add in to my siggie... gotta love those.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 11:31:24 am by atheorhaven »

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2004, 05:47:20 pm »
I have run into some modeling problems with the Athatbaska, hence the lack of updates.  I will have some pics this week but it will take a couple of days at the minimum since the first half of the week is very busy for me.  I'll keep in touch and post my progress very soon.

Rogue NineCH

Re: Athabaska Class *DELETED*
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2004, 11:04:11 pm »
Post deleted by Rogue NineCH

Marauth

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2004, 11:58:08 pm »
Quote:

Ol, I fixed the modeling problems I was having and here is the latest version.

Someone wanna make a proper Knox hull for this guy? LOL Sorry but the squashed Miranda hull really bugs me - on the TOS version it's not so bad as the Surya isn't too big in the arse anyway but this really looks awful - I can even see holes on the underside where the mesh has been pushed out of shape. The Knox is not a compressed Miranda, the aft hull is actually severed just behind the pylons (which should not protrude below the top of the aft hull on the Athabaska and should point inwards) Also the back of the hull is a straight line perpendicular to the 'front' of the ship unlike the Miranda's aft hull which is angled. Oh and the Knox only has one shuttlebay and one sensor pallet - on the starboard side. The Hatfield class also follow that - it being the same ship but with a Constitution secondary hull.

Please don't interpret this as a flame against your work which is usually excellent. I just don't want to see this ship come out half-arsed. (or more accurately in this case one-and-a-half-arsed )

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2004, 05:58:36 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Ol, I fixed the modeling problems I was having and here is the latest version.

Someone wanna make a proper Knox hull for this guy? LOL Sorry but the squashed Miranda hull really bugs me - on the TOS version it's not so bad as the Surya isn't too big in the arse anyway but this really looks awful - I can even see holes on the underside where the mesh has been pushed out of shape. The Knox is not a compressed Miranda, the aft hull is actually severed just behind the pylons (which should not protrude below the top of the aft hull on the Athabaska and should point inwards) Also the back of the hull is a straight line perpendicular to the 'front' of the ship unlike the Miranda's aft hull which is angled. Oh and the Knox only has one shuttlebay and one sensor pallet - on the starboard side. The Hatfield class also follow that - it being the same ship but with a Constitution secondary hull.

Please don't interpret this as a flame against your work which is usually excellent. I just don't want to see this ship come out half-arsed. (or more accurately in this case one-and-a-half-arsed )  

Hi Lestat
   Actually the Knox as drawn in the Ships of the Starfleet has 2 shuttlebays as indicated by the hangar support systems on the top view.  The Knox that you are illustrating is from the Jackill's Books. A nice varient on the class, it should be mentioned that if you remove the megaphasers and add shuttle landing pads you have a Daran Class fast Frigate from Ships of the Starfleet Looking forward to seeing the final results  

Marauth

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2004, 01:10:03 am »

This the Daran ofcourse is a variant of the Knox you mention from SOTSF however I couldn't find on the ship schematics site a Knox from SOTSF, there is this one:

which is from something called 'Starship Design ---- Interstellar Forum for Naval Power' though it seems to be the one from SOTSF. You'll forgive me if I stick with the Jackhill's version as it would take the engineers less time to leave the pylons and nacelles where they are than to move them about. Plus IMO it's nicer to look at LOL

Even so the point stands that the Knox is quite different from the Miranda and is you can't just squash the back end of a Miranda and call it a Knox.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2004, 04:55:32 am »
HI Lestat
The people who did Starship Design did Ships of the Starfleet It is the same design that you've illustrated under the Daran class fast frigate. I agree with your point that you can't squash the rear of a miranda and call it a Knox.    

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2004, 04:18:32 pm »
I posted the WIPs (That means Work in Progress) the other day, and I think certain people thought I was posting the Final product and proceeded to tear it to shreds.  I then took the pics down and contemplated what to do with this project.  Let me state again that I am NOT a modeler, nor have I claimed to be one.  I am a kitbasher, and I still have alot to learn.  If someone wants to "make this guy a knox", then please do so.  I will give you full credit in the readme.  

As for the problems of "holes" in the model, this is the reason I called it a WIP.  I am not finished with it.  I am well aware of what the knox looks like, and am pretty confident I can get very close if not dead on.  When my model is releaed if you want to nitpick at it, then fine.  Personally I think any of the ships I have done look fantastic considering only a few so far, and none of them look "half-assed".

If someone wants to offer their help I am more than help to take it, if not then feel free to make an Athabaska and I will have no problem with it.  I just want it clear that it can be done the way I am doing it.  I appreciate feedback, and even constructive criticism, but I do not appreciate my work being called "half-assed".  

Here are the pics I posted a couple of days ago, they are WIPs

Chrystoff

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2004, 04:50:57 pm »
Rogue, I can understand what you are saying, and I agree that "half-assed" may come off as insulting, even if that was not the intent. I noticed that you removed the pics, but kept my mouth shut. As I stated earlier, I appreciate the work you and Atheorhaven have done, and I think that both Athabaska's look great.  I have no moddeling skill at all, and very much respect all of the hard work everyone on this forum put into their respective pieces of art. I'm sure no one meant any insult to you, and I hope you don't allow this to push you away.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2004, 05:20:11 pm »
I'm too stubborn to let something like this push me away, I just had to vent and make my thoughts known.  If anything it's made more determined now to finish it.

Marauth

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2004, 06:49:01 pm »
Whoa dude - calm down a little, I meant those 'insults' in a comedic fashion especially the half-arsed remark. Just cause my sense of humour strikes a chord with some people I can't be expected to censor my posts just so no one could possibly take it in the wrong way.

I know the shots are WIP as you said as much in the post; but in my opinion the WIP stage is the best stage to offer criticism as once a model is finished and out there on the web it is less likely that a modeler will make alterations - I know this from my own work which I was very grateful that you hosted. I trust that you can create a Knox hull using your method but in your original post you never mentioned that you were going to completely rework the main hull in any way so I assumed you were going to take the same approach as with the TOS version recently released - that is simply squashing the aft of the hull in.

Please do not take my comments too seriously as it will only lead to further strife. In the spirit of friendship I will 'lay down my arms' and offer an appology.

L8r dudes, Lestat.

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2004, 08:06:41 pm »
Well I'm sorry I took it so personally, every day for the last two weeks, I have not ben able to get to sleep before 4am.  I have a miserable cold which has been keeping me up.  I tend to have a short fuse when I'm exhausted, my G/F can attest to that, I have been driving her crazy all week.  No harm done, TVL.    

Marauth

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2004, 10:14:53 pm »
Good to hear we're okay.

BTW Rogue - would you still consider hosting stuff that I made ages ago but never got round to sending you - like the drone cruiser, the two light carriers, the accurised Enterprise textures. Not to mention I've been a busy little vampire since and have come up with some other WZ inspired stuff. Also if you need any help with anything I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Though tragically I cannot as of yet 'make this guy a proper Knox' LOL Ashamed to admit but I am not a modeler and can't accomplish that task. In any case I hope you recover completely and soon.

yours, Lestat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by The Vampire Lestat »

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2004, 12:41:53 am »
Sure send the ships my way and I'll host them.  I'll just have to take it easy and my cold will go away.  

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2004, 05:28:05 am »
HI Rogue NineCH
    Did you get the Knox Class file that P81 created that I sent you? I didn't mean it as critisisim of your work but rather as an
attemp to provide you with some more tools to work with.  I do think that Rick's Knox could use one of your texture upgrades.  I hope you get over your cold quickly and keep up the great work I really appreciate your time and interest in this project.  

Rogue NineCH

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2004, 01:17:54 pm »
I did get it, the only problem with using that ship, the model is warped in certain areas, of course it was one of his first.  Hisd third generation Miranda is much better suited for what I need.  It'll look like a Knox when I am done with it.

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2004, 07:50:01 am »
Thanks for the information I never realized that it was warped.  Looking forward to seeing your version of a Knox class