Topic: <sigh> Does it EVER end??  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
<sigh> Does it EVER end??
« on: July 09, 2004, 04:18:49 pm »
I recently reloaded everything on my computer, did a reformat.  Since then I've managed to aquire a couple new problems after my Spyware crisis.  Every once in a while the screen flickers a little bit, kinda decreases in size the goes back to normal and becomes a little fuzzy when this happens.  Second problem is friggin AOL.  I log on to my screen name, and AOl tells me that there was an error loading a file and it will try to restore the file.  I get this message a couple times, and when I log on I can't see anything in my mailbox except the icons that show the type of email file- no suject, address, anythign else.
Any ideas?  Why does my friggin computer not want to work?
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: <sigh> Does it EVER end??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 04:43:55 pm »
1 looks to me like your monitor is about to go out, as thats what mine did before it went poof.

2 I get those blank email things too so it not just AOL. But you might want to unload and reload you email account anyway to see if that clears things up, thats what I had to do a few times when mine started acting up.

3 Get off AOL, and get a real service.

4 Hows your kitten doing?. :)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 04:51:19 pm »
1)  I hope the monitor isn't going.  I've realy liked having a 19 inch monitor and don't know how easy it will be to find another that will work as well.  I'll try hooking it up to my iMac and see if the same problems shows itself hooked up to that computer.
2) This problem only exists in my one account, other family accounts work fine.  I mostly use AOL for email, IMs and chat, it's not my ISP.  I only keep it around because I use a sub account from my Dad's account, like everyone else in my family.  It's not worth paying for.
3)see 2
4) the Kitten is great, although he has a thing for attackign my testicles.  That's gonna have to stop, even if I have to pull those little teeth out of his head.
5)Muchos thank you's khalee.   ;D
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 04:51:39 pm »
I won't even try to sort out your AOL bugs, sorry but that is your own little He|| that you are going to have to sort out on your own.   ;D

As for the monitor, lets start with the basics.  Check the cable connectors and see if there is a bent pin somewhere.  Make sure the monitor cable is properly secured to the video card.  Also check to make sure that the monitor's power cord is plugged in all the way.  Some people take the time to clean the dust out of their machine while they are reformatting and reloading their machine.  These types of problems can come up while cleaning.

Next go into Device Manager and see if there are any red " X " or yellow " !" anywhere on the list.  If there are then post them in your next post.  Some motherboards require drivers to be loaded prior to any video, audio, network etc drivers.  If your motherboard requires this then try and remember if the motherboard drivers were loaded before card drivers were loaded.  If not than you may need to reformat and reload your system again.  There are ways around this but these work a rounds are not as safe.

If you don't see anything unusual in the Device Manager and you loaded the motherboard drivers in the correct order or your motherboard does not use them, than take a look at the video drivers.  Right-click out on the open desktop and left-click properties.  Next click the "Settings" tab then click the "Advanced" button. Look and see if you have a monitor driver installed on your system.  If not than you may need to download and install a monitor driver for your monitor if you don't already have one.  If the monitor driver is installed then check the refresh rate.  I'm not sure what settings you have but the refresh rate maybe out of sync with your monitor.  If that doesn't work then I would suggest installing the video driver and then reinstalling the latest video driver for your video card.  Obviously you will want to download the latest driver before installing the old video drivers, but you would be surprised how many people I've seen do that.   :D

I'll stop here and see if any of the above can narrow the issue down for you.  I or someone else can go from there once you respond.  Hope this helps.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 05:20:12 pm »
After jiggling the monitor cable at the connection to the computer the screen twitching has dropped to near zilch, so I think that might be at least part of the problem, I'll see how it reacts after messign with it one more time and letting it go for a while.
 ;D
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 05:31:55 pm »
After jiggling the monitor cable at the connection to the computer the screen twitching has dropped to near zilch, so I think that might be at least part of the problem, I'll see how it reacts after messign with it one more time and letting it go for a while.
 ;D

Remember to check for bent pins.  Glad I could help.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 05:24:09 pm »
Well, it's dead.  Was playing a game of Armada 2 this morning, and it died right in front of me.  Can't get it to show anything.  Time for a new monitor, i guess.  Problem is, i liked this monito and when i got it, i got it for an awesome price, so it will be hard to top.
BTW, no bent pins or other signs other than what i previously mentioned.  The flickering problem had gone away most of yesterday, saw a couple flickers this morning, then it blinked out.
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 05:43:20 pm »
Just got back from office max ad bought myself a new monitor.  The old one was a viewsonic PS790 19" CRT monitor.  The new one i bought for $129 is a Starlogic 19" True Flat Screen CRT monitor.  It was a tough coice beetween this cumbersome model and a couple 17" LCD monitors for $349 each, but i went with this one because I couldn't bring myself dropping the size from a 19" to a 17", even if it was a well priced LCD.  Besides, all that extra screen realestate and a couple hundred dollars less?  Any real choice there?  i can deal with the bulky monitor for that.
I don't know if the image on the old monitor was slowly degrading and I didn't know it or if this monitor is just nicer, but my desktop sure is clear and beautiful now.  I think I'll like this new monitor.   ;D
CK

Jab another pin in me
-Metallica