Topic: Invention Found To Grow Superconducting And Magnetic Nanocables  (Read 716 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Link to story

Invention Found To Grow Superconducting And Magnetic Nanocables

Park Campus CA (SPX) Jul 15, 2004
A University of Southern California engineer has discovered a way to manufacture composite "nanocables" from a potent new class of substances with extraordinary properties called Transition Metal Oxides (TMOs).

Chongwu Zhou, an assistant professor in the USC Viterbi School of Engineering's Department of Electrical Engineering, is creating dense arrays of ultrafine wires made of magnesium oxide (MgO), each coated with uniform, precisely controlled layers of TMO.

In the last decade, TMOs have come under intense investigation because they demonstrate a wide range of potentially highly useful properties including high-temperature superconductivity.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Khalee

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Invention Found To Grow Superconducting And Magnetic Nanocables
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 06:58:34 pm »
Interesting I guess

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Invention Found To Grow Superconducting And Magnetic Nanocables
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:13:01 pm »
Tranistion metals chemistry rocks!  ;D I thought the story was going to be on the use of carbon nanotubes in nanomachining based on the title, this is new and interesting. Perhaps the tehnique could be extended to rotors and stators for nanomotors - a logical next step considering the coaxial nature of the product. (Thanks for the link!)