Topic: Gentlemen, I need your help. Someone is stealing my work and the name OP+.  (Read 41117 times)

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

SSCF-Rolling

This is not good.

What can we do?  J'inn?!!!!

Seriously, have you spoke with J'inn about it?

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
This is not good.

What can we do?  J'inn?!!!!

Seriously, have you spoke with J'inn about it?

I just found out about this.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
I have been told it will be handled.

SSCF-Rolling

I hope so.

I would hate to have to take the Rolling Pin over there on your behalf.... but I will if needed.

You've worked to long and hard on this and I would stand up for you.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.

I hope so.

I would hate to have to take the Rolling Pin over there on your behalf.... but I will if needed.

You've worked to long and hard on this and I would stand up for you.

About 2 years of my time.
.. .. what can I do to prevent this from happening again? A registered copyright? How does that work? Will it cost me?

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Intellectual Property Maybe? I'm not sure Bro. I'd ask a lawyer though, as The Old Taldren has a stake in this also. I believe anything posted here Become there Property, but I'm not sure what all Mods involve.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
Stephen is right.  Check with a lawyer and since you are a Canuck, what ever you guys call your copyright office.

They should be able to help.

Glad these guys are gonna straighten out their act.
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
Stephen is right.  Check with a lawyer and since you are a Canuck, what ever you guys call your copyright office.

They should be able to help.

Glad these guys are gonna straighten out their act.

I don't have the monetary ressources to be dealing with a lawyer..

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
I'm not sure how It works in Canada FS. But you should at least Be able to Get a Free Interview, to see If a Lawyer will take your case.

Copywrite Protection should be relativly cheap, and of course, I'm sure we would all Pitch in to help you out.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
I'm not a lawyer, but since what you've done is taken someone else's specs (ADB) and put them into somebody else's game (Taldren) I'm not sure what you can legally claim as yours? The name OP+ possibly, but it also has it's roots in ADB's and Taldren's games. I know that you've done a lot of work, but I believe in this instance there's no legal claims, just ethical.

I think other than asking them not to use it and to give you credit for your portion of the work, there really isn't anything that could be done. They've already agreed to this, from what I read.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Gook

• Catbert
  • Lt. Junior Grade
FS I am a lawyer (in UK).

It will cost big money to copyright anything anywhere.

Then there is the problem of your infringing the copyright of ADB, Taldren, etc etc. All the ships names, the strucure of the ship/fighter list and so on. Certainly in the UK there would be little you could do.

The only thing here you would have Copyright on would probably be the name OP+.

Even if you were found to have copyright the problem is one of loss. What have you actually lost in monetary terms? Probably not a lot.

Next is enforcement, lawyers cease and desist letters, and if that does not work Court action.

Then there are multi jurisdictional issues.

Most occidental copyright laws are broadly similar, but vary indetail and remedies.

The only real thing you can do is see a local lawyer, as ahas been suggested, find one who will give a free first interview to assess the case.

Lawyers disclaimer :) Nothing here should be construed as a lawyer client relationship and all comments above are observations and not meant to be legal advice to be relied upon.

PS J'inn has to earn a living so it would be unfair to expect him to use his profession for free even if he had the requisite expertise.

PPS you could ask the server admins not to allow the use because of breach, and if that does not work try writing to the actual service providers.

KAT-Gook, OBS,OoW,MTA,SoK.
KAT-Fleet
Kzinti Hegemony

The God of War hates those who hesitate
.....Eurypides

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
Well, I have lost a lot in monetary terms. Check out the slavegirls dot net and dot com. They freaking stole my ideas, stole my women and now they even changed the pw so I cant get in anymore. If there is anyone in need of a lawyer for sfc related name claiming, its me.

Oh, and I just filed a copyright on STFU, cuz I want a quarter everytime someone says it.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Well fellow Canuck, you should be able to get a consult with a lawyer for 50 to $100, but if things are that tight, how about legal aid? How about a pen pal link for us to donate  a couple of bucks to for a legal fund? 
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline KAT J'inn

• CFO - Kzinti War Machine, Inc.
  • Lt. Commander
Oye!

Before you yank open your wallet.

1) Call the U.S. Copyright Office  (or better yet go online)  I think it is cheap and easy from what I remember.  However, it's been a while.

2)  Call or go on line with the Canadian equivalent.

3)   General Rule = Kiss anything you put on the internet goodbye. (Sorry, but it's just a fact of life)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
   I guess it is like downloading music,software or dvds.There is no way you can stop them from doing that.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
So is this resolved?  I saw Morpheous (WGL is his baby) in the GSA lobby last night with a room advertising his "New OPPLUS v 4.0". 

I could be wrong....but I believe Chris Jones helped him put that together.  At least that what he was claiming when he was spouting off with how great he and his league are...

(little love to be lost between that guy and anyone affiliated with GZ)

Offline ShadowLord

• Lt.
OH I WOULD BE MAD AS HELL!!!

Look I remember Morph from SL days before GZ league..The guy was and is a total dork -- I am not going to pull punches on this..

He basically ripped off several investors in  his new league 2? years ago when he started it up..in addition even while running a fun campaign he hacked into code and cheated when things went agaisnt him.
The guy is dirt and my pet name for him is Princess Morpheous...
(Please ensure you refer to him that way)

For him to associate his name with the fine work you have done is a slander that would have my fur in hackles...

Leagal issues when dealing with this type of situation -- well good luck.. but please know this...(for what it's worth and I do hope it helps)  anyone who know of this Princess Morpheous knows he is an "A hole" and anyone who knows of firesould knows all the good work you have done!!
Can I put it any more bluntly then that?

FS -- I know you have to be bad at this outrage -- log onto GSA one night and confront the idiot about it in the public lobby -- all I ask is that you make sure I am online the night you do it...

I am 39 years old and in my entire life there are very very few people that have ever rubbed me the wrong way that I would speak out agaisnt them -- Princess Morph is one of those few!
KHH_ShadowLord

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
It seems obvious to me, now, that legal help and copyrighting is not an option because of the money it would cost me. After all, I'm not making a cent off of OP+.

All of this is balanced on reputation. Mine. My work's. The reputation of OP+ and its collective work cannot just be taken and used in an attempt to boost one other's own reputation (and income?).

Note: They mostly likely will do as said: change the name. The SFC community won't support their work if they don't. I would see to it by continuing to plead publically to the players.

-- Luc

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Chris Jones is working on the TNG mod.........
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel