Topic: USS Monitor FCC+ Refit >>>>> Available for Download  (Read 28060 times)

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
Re: USS Monitor FCC+ Refit >>>>> Available for Download
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2005, 11:59:42 am »
Schtupp, a couple questions on the Aurora.  First, what's the inspiration for the blue/red striping on one of them?  Second, were you aware that there already was a cruiser called Aurora on TOS?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Keep your Sword sharp...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • ...and your intention true.
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2005, 03:05:18 pm »
Schtupp, a couple questions on the Aurora.  First, what's the inspiration for the blue/red striping on one of them?  Second, were you aware that there already was a cruiser called Aurora on TOS?

Yes and good point. Youre referring to the S.S. Aurora in "The Way to Eden" and fortunatly for me it was blown up by the space hippies thus leaving the name open.

Steppin' into Eden, yea brother...

The red stripes where just an experiment, one of the many tangents that I always get lost doing. Looks like a US Coast Guard ship huh ;D

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2005, 03:12:48 pm »
I think the Space Hippies where running from Mr Tricorder's Space Rednecks lol ;D

Someone needs to do a rendering of Atra's SS aurora model being chased by MPs confederate shuttle. That'd be a hoot.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2005, 03:42:05 pm »
I only brought up the S.S. Aurora because your ship made me think it would be good as a potential design for the Icarus-class, a precursor starship to the Constitution-class mentioned in several of the more recent TOS novels.

Offline Lord Schtupp

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2005, 03:58:15 pm »
Ah I see. It wasn't until after I picked the name that I then recalled it being used for the space hippies ship. but since it was destroyed in the episode I thought it was ok to keep it. Interestingly (to me at least) the name comes from a suggestion by none other than Carl Sagan, in his book Broca's Brain. In it he devotes a whole chapter to Star Trek and mostly discusses the multi-racial aspect of the crew and the classic trek "anomalies". In that chapter, he questions why Gene Roddenberry picked mostly American-derived names for the 12 Connies, and then wonders why he chose to name one Potemkin instead of Aurora.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2005, 07:24:23 pm »
In that chapter, he questions why Gene Roddenberry picked mostly American-derived names for the 12 Connies, and then wonders why he chose to name one Potemkin instead of Aurora.

"Billions and billions of contradictions!"

[/Johnny Carson]

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2005, 10:26:53 pm »
In that chapter, he questions why Gene Roddenberry picked mostly American-derived names for the 12 Connies, and then wonders why he chose to name one Potemkin instead of Aurora.

"Billions and billions of contradictions!"

[/Johnny Carson]

I liked Bob Justman's idea mentioned in The Making of Star Trek.

PAGES 164-5

cc:Bob Justman

TO: Gene Roddenberry DATE: AUGUST 9, 1967

Dear Gene:
I am in receipt of a memo from someone using the pseudonym of D. C. Fontana. This character suggests that we establish the names of the 12 ships of the Enterprise Starship Class.
 Of the names that D. C. Fontana mentions, I prefer the following:

Enterprise
Essex
Excalibur
Lexington
Yorktown
Endeavor
Eagle
Constellation
Hornet
Wasp
Lafayette

I think there would be several other candidates, such as Saratoga and perhaps another English Carrier, a French Carrier, a Russian Carrier and certainly a Japanese Carrier. In addition, I think a name ought to be made up that would be of Vulcan origin.
                                     Bob.

Note the last suggestion. One of the classic fanon names for this was Tashik-Sotra. I'd be neat to see your next Connie carry THAT as a name... ;D
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2005, 12:24:30 pm »
Another quick question, Schtupp: is the Aurora supposed to be a precurssor to the Connie or a companion class?

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2005, 02:23:54 pm »
Quoting Schtupp:

Earlier this week I started back on my Aurora NCL project, as can be seen I made some changes to the basic mesh, made a much nicer photon bay, and have progressed on the textures somewhat. The big red stripe is a little experiment, Ill use something like that for one of the advanced versions. the small purple pods are placeholders for mission specific pods or weapons, i.e. ecm, sensors for scout variant, torps for heavy weapons variant, and so on, in keeping with the modularity of the SFB NCL.

From here.  I think he implies it as more-of a contemporary new light cruiser (NCL) rather than an immediate predescessor.  I may not be Schtupp, but I hope that helps answer your question, Rat Boy.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2005, 03:04:28 pm »
I see.  I just figured that with its overall shape and lower reg number that it could be one of the oft-speculated forerunner classes to the Connie, and a darn good lookin' one at that.

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2005, 04:48:33 pm »
It looks too contemporary TOS-era to be such in my opinion.  Something like the Baton Rouge or The Starfleet Museum's Asia-class looks more plausable to being such a candidate.

Also, keep in mind the stock SFC or KA models having three-digit registry numbers.  For example, ships like the Akula-class and Okinawa-class (Respectively the F-DD and F-FF stock models in KA and SFC 1/2/OP) have low registry numbers.  The Akula's registry was NCC-278-A.  Yeah, it has a -A so it can't count.  The Okinawa's registry number was NCC-150, the same as the U.S.S. Daedelus's registry number in canon Trek.  It implies that two TMP-era starships belong in the Pre-TOS-era, if we take registry numbers seriously in a cronological way.  I don't know if it's the same or different in the SFB universe. 

Perhaps in SFB it's 2000+ registries that get Dreadnought or Heavy Carrier or Battleship status, anything between 2000 and 1000 cruisers, and Destroyers and Frigates get anything below in three-digit numbers?  *shrug* I don't know anything about SFB, or not much about it, so I'm guessing.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2005, 05:14:23 pm »
Something like the Baton Rouge or The Starfleet Museum's Asia-class looks more plausable to being such a candidate.

The Asia looks too much like the Connie for it to be a forerunner, let alone one that is supposed to predate it by forty years.  As for the Baton Rouge, it looks too...stubby, to fit into the ENT-to-TOS design lineage.  Looks more like a forerunner to the Ambassador or Galaxy.  This ship flows very well between ENT and TOS, with a highlight or two from NX-01 in a proto-NCC-1701 package.

Also, keep in mind the stock SFC or KA models having three-digit registry numbers.  For example, ships like the Akula-class and Okinawa-class (Respectively the F-DD and F-FF stock models in KA and SFC 1/2/OP) have low registry numbers.  The Akula's registry was NCC-278-A.  Yeah, it has a -A so it can't count.  The Okinawa's registry number was NCC-150, the same as the U.S.S. Daedelus's registry number in canon Trek.  It implies that two TMP-era starships belong in the Pre-TOS-era, if we take registry numbers seriously in a cronological way.  I don't know if it's the same or different in the SFB universe.

Oddly enough, the Akula TOS model in "Generations at War" has the reg number of 578 to put it in line with Franz Joseph's ships, but the TMP model has 278-A  (ALEC! ;)0.  The 1300-series has been used for the previously mentioned Baton Rouge-class, which made me recall that idea for this vessel.

But, this is Schtupp's ship, so whatever he says goes.  But, the general plan and layout is something to consider for a starship line in service between the 2220s and 2250s, retired in favor of the Constituion.  Perhaps the Aurora is a refitted version of that hypothetical, or some kind of smaller follow-on based on the general layout?

Offline Chris Johnson

• Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2005, 06:57:39 pm »
Usually when I watch ENT, I just watch it for entertainment.  If I want to get pseudo-geeky, I throw it out the window.  I mean, the ENT-era in ship design is like this: turn the Constitution-class upside down, invert the pylons, give it an Excelsior-class saucer, scale it down, repaint it, and you got the NX-03!  Then make a clever reason why it looks like that, by saying it's just a coincidence or what not... That's why I'm much more fond of the Starfleet Museum, and was quick to reference something from there as an example.  In turn I also gave the Baton Rouge a try, saying that it could possibly be a predescessor as well.

But how I think about it, the Asia-class looks like a simpler take at a Constitution-class (Or the Hyperion-class to reference another example.).  Therefore I thought it was perfect to be something like an immediate predescessor.  If you want something with a spherical hull, cylindrical neck, etc.  That looks less like a Daedelus-class and is a bit more advanced-looking, try the Horizon.  Not one of my favorite ship designs (the Baton Rouge wasn't either) mind you... Of course it could also be a look-a-like class of Starship, like how Atrahasis would think of the Republic or Constellation as; an earlier starship design remarkably-similar to the Constitution-class, more-so than the Asia.  Perhaps it could be something like the U.S.S. Farynor.

I'm not sure what you exactly envision as a predescessor to the Constitution-class, and I can't be for sure what I exactly envision in that subject either.  Although that's the beauty of Trek and science fiction in general: utilizing imagination, to create a universe in your head and explore it...

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2005, 07:08:27 pm »
I'm not sure what you exactly envision as a predescessor to the Constitution-class, and I can't be for sure what I exactly envision in that subject either.  Although that's the beauty of Trek and science fiction in general: utilizing imagination, to create a universe in your head and explore it...

Hey, Schtupp just came rather close to what I had in mind, a more-compressed ship than the Constitution.  Heck, about the only thing I'd do is perhaps make the secondary hull a bit larger, add the spike/probe things to the front of the nacelles, remove the globe from the back of the nacelle, and perhaps integrate the deflector into the secondary hull a bit more.  Then, presto, you'd have what I've been picturing.

Offline FPF-Wanderer

• Order of Battle Wonk
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Trek Nerd Since 1976
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2005, 07:55:15 pm »
Well, if you really want to go SFB...since it's an NCL, here's the listings...

NCL LIGHT CRUISERS: 1500 Kearsarge, 1501 Reliant, 1502 Alabama, 1503 Repulse, 1504 Renown, 1505 Prince of Wales, 1506 Mutso, 1507 Nagato, 1509 Gneisenau, 1510 Scharnhorst, 1511 Prinz Eugen, 1512 Vittorio Veneto, 1513 Littorio, 1514 Caio Duilio, 1518 Dunkerque, 1519 Richelieu, 1520 Strasbourg, 1521 Rivadavia, 1522 Moreno, 1523 Minas Gerais, 1524 New Mexico, 1525 Iowa, 1526 Missouri, 1527 Kortenauer, 1528 De Ruyter, 1529 Naken, 1530 Glorie, 1531 Defence, 1532 Pervenetz, 1533 Meko, 1534 Vosper, 1535 Groton, 1536 Ramadan, 1537 Aliyah, 1538 Assawari, 1539 Michigan, 1540 North Carolina, 1543 Mikasa, 1546 Olympia, 1547 Piorun, 1548 Warspite. Notes: About 60 ships of this class were built during the General War.

Got these from the SFB boards. A good resource for those of you who want to do SFB type stuff, which we can always use more of. ;D

The only thing I'd change is moving the torp launchers to the top of the saucer ala SFB/TOS.  Excellent ship as usual, Schtupp!  :thumbsup:  Where's the Kittyhawk? ;D ;)
Alliance SAC, SG4 / Alliance SAC, RDSL / Federation A/RM: AOTK, SSII, GW4 / Federation Chief of Staff / Member of the Flying Circus / Alliance Map Guy

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2005, 07:57:45 pm »
The only thing I'd change is moving the torp launchers to the top of the saucer ala SFB/TOS.

While SFB and the original Franz Joseph book placed the torpedoes there, FX shots from TOS had the torpedoes coming out fairly close to where the phasers are, something that Schtupp showed on his CA+ model and ENT showed on the NX-01 model.

Offline S33K100

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Brutal, savage, uncivilised, treacherous.
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2005, 08:46:27 pm »
The NCL in SFB wasn't a Franz-Joseph based design though, it actually had a smidgeon of originality, Schtupp's version looks nothing like the SFB version (Atra did an accurate version if anyone wants one) but it's a much nicer looking design anyway.

I'm quite amused that the SFB people name a ship after Vittorio Veneto the battle in Italy (there were some British and French troops but the majority were Italian) that led to Austria-Hungary's surrender at the end of WWI. Quite an obscure referrence.
If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make plans against it.

Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'.

S33K100: formerly Marauth

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2005, 11:41:12 pm »
Something like the Baton Rouge or The Starfleet Museum's Asia-class looks more plausable to being such a candidate.

Oddly enough, the Akula TOS model in "Generations at War" has the reg number of 578 to put it in line with Franz Joseph's ships, but the TMP model has 278-A  (ALEC! ;)0.  The 1300-series has been used for the previously mentioned Baton Rouge-class, which made me recall that idea for this vessel.

tsk tsk tsk.. apparently you missed the staff meeting on this.  The TOS Akula couldn't have the original registry of 278 as the pre-TOS Akula was still in extended diplomatic duties shuttling delegates between several Federation worlds.  So the TOS Akula (named in the honor of that long standing ship of the fleet) was given the 578 registry.  But by the time of the TMP refit programs, the original Akula had long since been destroyed by unknown forces near Federation borders.  So during the TMP era refit, the TOS Akula then had its registry changed to 278-A to honor the fallen ship.

Should've cleared that up before.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2005, 11:42:31 pm »
By the way, anyone need a bridge?  I have a lovely one for sale.. ;)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2005, 03:19:37 pm »
Shameless bumpy, since we can get away with bumping around here.