Topic: Angel slayer...  (Read 9802 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Angel slayer...
« on: December 12, 2004, 09:32:29 pm »
Regarding that Bigfoot Drive,

Can you do us a favor please, and Download http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html  belarc?

this will allow us to Know exactly what kind of HD you have as Other Info that you wish to share with us. I think we could answer your questions Better If we knew abit More about what you had  Bro.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Elvis

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Angel slayer...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 10:36:56 pm »
Bigfoot drives use 5.25" platters, and not 3.5" and spins at less than 5200rpm and has a 128K buffer. It also is probably pretty small GB wise, maybe less the 10GB.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Lord High Master of Justice
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:49:32 am »
Operating System   System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600)   No details available
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache   Board: First International Computer, Inc. AM37 PCB 1.x
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/18/2003
Drives   Memory Modules c,d
40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
36.11 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-48246S [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400EB-00CPF0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAATC076038, rev 06.04G06, SMART Status: Healthy   96 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 128 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
  Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 40.02 GB 36.11 GB free

Network Drives

I hope this is what you wanted...

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 01:44:53 pm »
well if your system is running slow you can blame the ammount of memory you have.  xp needs at least 512mb to run well being that is a ginormous memory hog anything less you will have some slowdown issues when you run programs.  you might want to get that upgraded when you can afford it.

someone correct me if i'm wrong
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 01:48:08 pm »
No Tus is right on the Mark. Maybe just Get some more Memory when You send WillWeasel out for parts on your new system.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 03:04:06 pm »
Thanks.  The memory will have to wait a couple of weeks.  Right now, the new system has pretty much neutered my wallet. ;D

NPR is a lot like NASCAR.  Two hundred miles an hour in a circle, and you end up right back where you started with nothing but lost time for the effort.

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 08:54:32 pm »
Hi AngelSlayer,

The others are correct, you are in desperate need of more memory!  :) Lukily for you it shouldn't be difficult to install some. Your specs you listed indicate that there is a spare slot on your motherboard to place a fresh stick in, which is good news. If your short of cash you could give it a quick boost by buying an extra stick of 128mb memory, (you'll need DDR 266 PC2100 memory), and you could probably pick this up for around $30-40.

Hope this helps!
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline KBF-WillWeasel

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • beware the crap
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 03:22:59 pm »
As Angel allready knows, ram is here. Will be trekking to his home later this week to give his comp a desperately needed ram boost.

Gotta love newegg. Order wensday afternoon, here by Friday.

Sheesh and I allready told him he didn't have a craptastic Quantum Bigfoot drive. Just a really basic craptastic WD drive instead. :o

Getting his new system with a maxtor 7200 RPM SATA drive, and hopefully that processor on the way from Punisher.
Somewhere north of the Azores.
KBF always

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 04:36:04 pm »
Awsome work Will, Your a great guy for Helping him out like that.

Stephen

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 06:26:00 pm »
Well, I at least remembered that Craptastic and bigfoot went hand in hand.  So, I misunderstood and just lumped it all into one big pile of crap.
   Now, what is a 7200 RPM SATA drive?  This, I take it, is a good thing?

And Will will have all the Root Beer he wants to drink for quite a while.  He's my new hero.  I'm taking my Batman Posters down and putting one of him up.  ;D

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 06:36:06 pm »
   Now, what is a 7200 RPM SATA drive?  This, I take it, is a good thing?

A Maxtor 7200 RPM SATA drive IS a good thing.   My Maxtor drives (all PATA not SATA) have been very reliable and fast.    (SATA is a new standard for the connection that improves performance over PATA). 

Both my Western Digital drives failed, 1 of them was replaced TWICE under warrenty.  So based on my experience craptastic is a good description for them.  Others may swear by WD, I swear AT them.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 06:44:39 pm »
I talked online this morning for quite a while with WillWeasel.  See him nearly daily at work, and between him and all the patience that is being displayed to the computer illiterate on here, I actually think I am learning something of how this goes.  My next project, after I get my computer up and running, is going to be to order one part at a time until I can build a third system.

Offline Redshift the Kook

• Nondescript
  • Lt.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 08:43:29 am »
Yeah, I can confirm that a 200Gb Maxtor SATA 7200 RPM is a good thing because I picked one up just the other day!  ;D

The only thing that concerned me was how hot the drive got, it was almost as hot as one of my radiators, ( :(), but I solved that problem by "mounting" a case fan pointing towards my 2 Hard Drives, much cooler now. :thumbsup:
All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being obvious.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 09:53:45 am »
Yeah, I can confirm that a 200Gb Maxtor SATA 7200 RPM is a good thing because I picked one up just the other day!  ;D

200 Gigabyte?  Whoosh.   Way more memory than I need.  All I want to do is be able to play OP without my system crashing.  Here I am sitting on a cable modem with a mule meat computer.   Fortunately, that will all be over soon, and I'll have a good system.  Then I can go play with the others.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 09:59:22 am »
200 Gigabyte?  Whoosh.   Way more memory than I need. 

BURN THE BLASPHEMER!!!

You can never have too much Hard disk space.  (Posted from a machine with 240gb :))

Memory is something else.  There I sugest a minimum of 512 MB these days and 1GB (1GB=1024MB) if you can afford it. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 10:03:35 am »
Apologies to the Gods of Circuitry.   Let me rephrase:  I will upgrade my hard drive after I get the system, since that is first and foremost.  What line of work are you in, Nem?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 10:39:49 am »
Apologies to the Gods of Circuitry.   Let me rephrase:  I will upgrade my hard drive after I get the system, since that is first and foremost.  What line of work are you in, Nem?

Cancel the burning then.  We never burn the repentent.  Well hardly ever. ;)

Many people seem to have a hard time discerning the difference between hard drives and memory.  They use the same terminology so they must be the same right?  Good to see that you have already advanced beyond that stage.  It will make it easier on Will.

Computers aren't my work, they are just a hobby for me.  But I have built and rebuilt my own, including a dual CPU model.  I also at times get called in to help by the IT people at work and co-workers who can't get the IT people to help.  Not to mention called for help by friends including one who builds, sells and supports computers for a living.  It can be really fun to see the looks on their face when I pull answers out of my hat to problems that have plagued them for hours or days.

You said that you are considering collecting the parts and building one yourself.   If you do so I would recomend collecting the parts that change least first.   

Case, powersupply (abbreviated as PSU commonly- get a good one) , keyboard, mouse.   All are pretty standardized and don't change a great deal and can be bought early.   There are cases now where HDs, CD-Roms and Floppys can be inserted and removed without tools.  Highly recommended.  Right now one of my machines has an improperly mounted DVD because I couldn't find the box with the custom drive rails, I have now and will fix it over Christmas, a better case would have avoided that problem.

CPUs, motherboards and memory change quicker and paying a high price for something that won't be used until it would have been half the price isn't practical. 

It also helps if you have kept parts from your old machines that you can scavenge for parts while delaying some purchases.  For example an old video card will let you know that your motherboard, CPU and RAM are working before you have the budget to buy the good card and before your stores return date runs by.  Same for old HD and CD-Roms.   Salvaging floppy drives is also a lifesaver at times.

Above all is one thing - RESEARCH is your friend.  By reading online reviews and problems other people have had you can avoid many of the lemons and stay with the caviar and champagne.   Use of quality components will help your systems stability and reliablity immensely. 

Also I suggest a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with brownout protection.  Such a unit will also save you hassles.  85% of all computer problems are power not software or other hardware.   The UPS will help you avoid problems with low power.    Tripplite and APC seem to be good.   Which is also why I said earlier to get a good PSU not a cheap one, I use Antec and Enermax.

Offline KBF-Angel Slayer

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 10:47:34 am »
I'm getting nervous.  That actually makes sense.  What I was thinking of doing was ordering the parts as I get the funds, but making the Motherboard and CPU last, at one time so that I could make certain that they were up to date. 
   I am also reading articles I find to get back up to snuff.  Right now, I am doing a lot of research, so a faster system is a much needed tool, and I am going to get a basic drawing program so I can lay out the design with, that way when I reach the point to try and sell it, I can have everything I need.
   I am already getting directions on how to make plastic moulds. 
   Give me time, I am stubborn and will get it. ;D
   And, I think I've a good source of information, between WillWeasel and all the people on here, I am sure I'll not be directed to another piece of craptastic equipment.
   Fortunately, this one is upgradeable, so it isn't a complete loss.  And my wife wants it for her use.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 06:15:28 pm »

BURN THE BLASPHEMER!!!

You can never have too much Hard disk space.  (Posted from a machine with 240gb :))

Memory is something else.  There I suggest a minimum of 512 MB these days and 1GB (1GB=1024MB) if you can afford it. 

Only 240gb of hard drive space??!?   ;D  I have 400gb on my system, 440 if you count the backup drive that is setting in my desk.

I just bought a Seagate 200gb drive a while ago from Newegg.  The drive works well with less noise and heat than my old Maxtor.  Plus it has a five (5) year warranty, can't beat that.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 07:35:22 pm »
Boy I feel small.

I just picked up an 80 Gb ATA 100 for a system to be made a little later for my little one...

... and got yelled at by the wife for it, too.  (Hey, what's a kid going to do with 400 Gb anyways? [... "c'mon, trade with Daddy, I'll throw a few sticks of RAM in, okay?"])