Topic: Funny home server story  (Read 2582 times)

Offline IAF Lyrkiller

• Semi retired, but I am still around
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Commander
  • JAG & Tech Support
Funny home server story
« on: December 15, 2004, 04:37:58 pm »
Where to start...hmmmm. Not many of you know that i now have my own home network. Some of you do and you know who you are.

I happen to buy a Dell Optiplex 150, to serve as my server loaded w/ win2k server. My laptop is loaded w/ winxp pro, and my home grown syst w/ winme.

Yes, I know some of you are groaning 'why did he do that'? I have my reasons. Once i got the server and my laptop on the same page and working and w/ the help of Bearslayer, I only

had one more syst to do. So i bought a KVM switch, and got that working and connected. Then comes my last computer to include. At this point i was not aware that my syst that i built

would connect. I was SO WRONG. I ran winipcfg and everything looked good there. I then went into system infomation and ran network diagnostics and it gave a green light.

Now, since it saw my server, hmmm. So, went to command prompt and pinged the server and '4 sent and 4 recieved and 0 lost' told me that it sees the server. I then bring my laptop

up and pinged the IP of my laptop and it went '4 sent and 4 recieved and 0 lost'. I thought to my self 'this is crazy'. I then start to make a share folder and ME would not let me. WHY!!!

I then broke down and went to help and support in ME and THAT'S IT!!!! I needed to activate the shared folder in network neighborhood. DUH!!! SLAPS FOREHEAD several times. I do

that and low and behold shared folder option appears. Now me being a PC technician should have known that.

NOTE: THIS IS THE SHORTEN VERSION OF THE STORY

KAT-Lyrkiller
Semi-retired
Captain of the MSC Maus
MEMBER OF KLAW
SILENCE.....I keel you!!!

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Funny home server story
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 11:24:37 pm »
I found that out totally by accident; I had very much the same problem with my superextensive two computer home network.